Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KnightRider
Jan 7, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Rook is useless unless you are playing against silvers. At the higher levels everyone goes for headshots anyways, there are far better operators that can contribute way more to the team. Bandit/Mute, Jager, Mira, any trap operator. If you really want a Acog than play Doc or Echo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

keyframe posted:

That's a solid counterpoint you got there.

I mean his ability is useless in the double secret super pro-league that you play in where everyone gets headshots 100% of the time but down in the weeds of gold/plat we're giving and receiving plenty of shots to the body. (I have ~7000 kills and of those ~2000 are headshots.) Rook gives a 20% reduction in damage taken, the same as having level 3 armor except with no speed penalty. That's pretty drat good unless you're of the opinion that 2 and 3 armor characters are all super lovely because they have a large speed penalty in exchange for a completely useless 10 or 20% reduction in damage. Remaining standing with low health is vastly preferable to being dead. The fact that it guarantees you'll be DBNO is also extremely good since defenders are often behind hard cover which prevents the person shooting you from finishing you off. Also hardly anyone knows this but Rook's armor also doubles your bleed out time which makes it much easier to crawl to safety so a friendly can revive you.

His ability is absolutely one of the best in the game. Yeah it's not very exciting to use but most of the time you're not changing up gadget placement in the middle of the game anyway. He's a fantastic pick for new players who want to use an ability that greatly helps the team that they can't possibly gently caress up while they focus on the most important part of the game, shooting people.

Like, your argument is basically "Rook is bad because everyone I play with/against is better than the best players in the world."

KnightRider posted:

Rook is useless unless you are playing against silvers. At the higher levels everyone goes for headshots anyways, there are far better operators that can contribute way more to the team. Bandit/Mute, Jager, Mira, any trap operator. If you really want a Acog than play Doc or Echo.

Then why does he have a consistently high pick rate in the pro-league? Who are you playing with that's so inhumanly good?

I'm average at best in our group but we consistently face very good players from high gold to diamond and this fabled headshots only meta is mysteriously absent from our games.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 6, 2018

KnightRider
Jan 7, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The Headshot argument is secondary, i was merely stating that he doesnt really bring anything special to the team. I know about the double bleed out time, and i dont know if you are playing against bad players but when i go down i am shot immediately about 95 percent of the time. And theres a big difference between plats and golds.
I mean, i see where you are coming from, his armor can be useful in certain situations on certain maps, but the more situational an operator is the weaker he is. You would be much better off with a Jack of all trades operator like Smoke, Bandit, or Mira, someone that can contribute alot no matter the situation/map. The diamonds i know will only pick Rook bc they want an Acog and the mp5. He is useful in drawn out gunbattles, eg when neither player can hit poo poo, but the farther up you go the less you will see him used.

KnightRider fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 6, 2018

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe just play whatever the hell you feel like playing?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Buffing the entire team (even after death) and having one of the best guns in the game on top of being incredibly accessible is a pretty strong argument for Rook.

KnightRider
Jan 7, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
For the record i like Rook. Season 1 and 2 he was necessary. Ill never be disappointed when someone gives me a jacket, but this isnt 2015 anymore. There are many more ops to choose from.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This whole argument would be pointless if Tachanka shot armored vests from his gun.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Jehde posted:

Maybe just play whatever the hell you feel like playing?

this.

but i play doc a lot so i'm having a hard time caring about rook ever at all when he is the tachanka to my kapkan.

they shouldn't give the exact same guns when one clearly has better range than the other (doc needle/kapkan 2speed buff)

hell, even tachanka is more fun than rook tho

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Sprechensiesexy posted:

This whole argument would be pointless if Tachanka shot armored vests from his gun.

∆∆∆ This.

Also just had a match where i spawned in after droning as jackal was immediately flashbanged by ying. I ignored it and started moving along taking out cameras and circling the building since i like to try to track the roamers. At which point 3 of the remaining teammates begin chasing me and shooting me. I avoid their fire without firing back go to hop through a window and they finally tk me. I am then instantly voted out. So yeah 85% of the time super chill game just every so often it turns into a lovely version of lord of the flies.

That being said whoever told me to try suppressor on blackbeard thank you its working out great. And game is super good.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Blitz is fun to play if you like the experience of clicking your mouse button twenty times and hitting nothing.

I've been playing a lot of Blitz as a newbie.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
"What op is good for newbies?"

"well at triple dog diamond tier, which I am so clearly in myself,"

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bewilderment posted:

Blitz is fun to play if you like the experience of clicking your mouse button twenty times and hitting nothing.

This is a common rookie mistake. With Blitz you need to click 21 times to get a headshot.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

bewilderment posted:

Shooting???

https://twitter.com/Dudenberg/status/949795007409676290

Rushing with Blitz is a riot in casual.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Koramei posted:

"What op is good for newbies?"

"well at triple dog diamond tier, which I am so clearly in myself,"

diamond only goes up to doubledog you noob!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Figures that the day I buy the game the servers are down all night. Enjoying the ten situations I can play offline at any rate.

Are any of the year one operators garbage or should I get them all?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Sheep posted:

Figures that the day I buy the game the servers are down all night. Enjoying the ten situations I can play offline at any rate.

Are any of the year one operators garbage or should I get them all?

Tachanka is the only objectively bad one. Maybe don't get Rook because he's pretty much Doc with a less useful gadget to himself. Other than that, you should be okay.

Picking recruit let's you choose a faction and test their guns.

For your very first guys, I'd avoid Ash and Fuze because you'll be racing to pick them before everyone else who loves them.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 7, 2018

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

the best way to approach operator selection is to skim their bios and pick one that you think is cool or interesting for whatever reason at all

like even if tachanka is your first unlocked character guess what you'll have fun and everyone else you play after that will be cool or interesting except Rook lol

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Donnerberg posted:

Tachanka is the only objectively bad one. Maybe don't get Rook because he's pretty much Doc with a less useful gadget to himself. Other than that, you should be okay.

Picking recruit let's you choose a faction and test their guns.

For your very first guys, I'd avoid Ash and Fuze because you'll be racing to pick them before everyone else who loves them.

Mira for life. I have memorized the location on the screen where her icon appears so I can select it instantly. Putting one way windows into walls is so much fun.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

mira is extremely cool imo and in the top tier ops in terms of potential complexity

the only downside to mira is some nerd telling you where to put it when really gently caress that dude if you wanna roam and play FOB mira you will be alright

worst case scenario is you have a recoiless smg that gets insta-headshots

actual worst case is you run double shotguns on a wide open map and plant your miras facing inside the obj while castle blocks off the doors (this never actually happens on accident)

imo there is nothing wrong with new players jumping right into an operator like this. try valk. try hibana. if tacticool flexibility is your thing then operators like this have near infinite replay value

tl;dr its not like dropping a dufflebag full of kevlar then sitting in a corner, staring at a doorframe until time runs out or you get overrun because the rest of your team died

edit: go down the rabbithole even further and play dokkaebi; dmr that uses valk cams against her own team - smg phonecall push on-site ftw...

smoke or claymore? brb finding a chart for each map/gamemode/comp

Thief fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 7, 2018

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

When servers go back up should I actually play ranked?

Possible upsides
- Less literal children playing?
- Players less likely to be total newbies who will Castle me inside or have literally never touched the Situations or Tutorials

Possible downsides
- I'm still bad at this game
- I like just rushing headlong when Attack as Blitz or Sledge
- queue times in Oce??

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Lead us to the promised land of matches involving less racist 9 year olds.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Ranked has infinitely more squeakers demanding to play ash, though. And infinitely more jerks going "no, gently caress you" and slampicking her before the kid.

EDIT: serious upside of playing ranked is that after the grueling placement matches you'll be put in a tier with similar skill level, so the learning process is more gradual than having a platinum in the opposing team dunk on everyone like happens in casual sometimes.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

if you ever find yourself with an ash main that insists on playing her, use a silenced g36 w/laser dot

the one op nobody ever gets mad if you play them is thacher, even if there isn't a loving breacher lmao

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sooooo, is Buck just a strictly better version of Sledge or am I missing something?
Cause I can't think of anything Sledge can do that Buck can't.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

sledge's smg owns but they had to take the acog off because it was basically game breaking

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Buck's AR also feels a bit lousier than Sledge's AR, in my opinion. I think it has more recoil?

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Deltasquid posted:

Buck's AR also feels a bit lousier than Sledge's AR, in my opinion. I think it has more recoil?

I definitely felt like this too. Buck's AR jumps all over the place on full auto. His marksman rifle is pretty decent though.

Almost Honest
Aug 17, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Sooooo, is Buck just a strictly better version of Sledge or am I missing something?
Cause I can't think of anything Sledge can do that Buck can't.

Im baddo, but I prefer sledge because I like his guns and I like to move around a lot and make nice neat crouch/vault holes quickly. The skeleton key feels clumsy to me. In my experience it takes a few shots to do the job and then someone just hears you and pops you before you can switch back to your gun. Sledge opens barricades faster too.

Bucks DMR is sick though. And he can open up the ceiling so he's probably "better" for many sites

Almost Honest fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 7, 2018

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You can definitely open up a wall, just like Sledge, with a single Skeleton Key shot. You just need to be not too close to it.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

You can definitely open up a wall, just like Sledge, with a single Skeleton Key shot. You just need to be not too close to it.

The key is to aim down sights to tight up the spread a little and then you'll make a hole in the wall and the wall behind it :science:

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Deltasquid posted:

I think Buck's AR has the most recoil of any gun. Plus, you can't throw a grip on it.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

I AM BRAWW posted:

I think Buck's AR has the most recoil of any gun. Plus, you can't throw a grip on it.

Yeah his AR is poopy, but his DMR is super good/fun.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

my kinda ape posted:

Yeah his AR is poopy, but his DMR is super good/fun.

Oh yeah. He's my favorite operator. I think the recoil on his AR really is just balancing since it's still very strong.

DMR's are great. I think that's why I play Buck/Blackbeard/Dokkabaie so much.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
me whenever anyone kills me ever in r6 siege:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUtaqJd1vcw&t=38s

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Sledge doesn't make as much noise when you pull down walls, so you can still be sneaky when you're busting down walls. And he gets the MAC-11 which is some dope poo poo. Buck's undergun creates a lot of noise, and he also can't go up against Castle's stuff like Sledge can.

But if you pick Buck and somebody else uses Blackbeard they get a +5 kiss bonus and the smoldering looks they exchange are able to open up really good holes to shoot into. Plus Blackbeard's head protection works out well when Buck's been shooting poo poo wide open.

They're good together. And they're meant to be together.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 7, 2018

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I played Frost for the first time today.
Her gun is disgustingly good.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Jack Trades posted:

When she first came out her shotgun had ridiculous range and was insanely OP. I think they nerfed it twice and now it's merely good.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Patience is a virtue (that I lack)
https://streamable.com/49734

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

I AM BRAWW posted:

me whenever anyone kills me ever in r6 siege:

Actually me whenever the game places me against plats and the rare diamond in casual except now I hit the toxic button and block them on PSN so it hopefully doesn't match me against them again (except in cases of 0-2 in progress games which are forgone conclusions)

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

hiding her frost traps in plain sight is one of the funniest things because they work way better than they should

also around corners that nobody checks because its a bottleneck push and their focus is gonna be on the potential angle someone is holding.

another funny place to put them is the deep corner behind where they will peek from then reflexively backpedal into when shot at

but for now, put all your traps in the elevator corners on the new map. i got 3 to trigger this way when their friend repelled down to help them

also a very funny thing to do is in the airplabe basement halls and setup like 3 shields in a row with frost traps between them. they will have to hurdle over these loving things in the last 30s and its funnier than stepping on 3 lesion mines in a line