Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Going to repost the muzzle attachment image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

vaginal facsimile posted:

May this be updated for the new operators please?

I don't know, can it be updated for the new operators?

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

keyframe posted:

That chart is not gospel. Try all attachments and pick whatever works for you best.

Completely true. I've found that the chart generally is pretty accurate but I picked muzzle attachments based on what I liked. It so happened I liked most of the ones on the chart. Other than that, I run silencer on Fuze's LMG, Mute's MP5K, a few handguns, and something else, and compensator on Ash's R4-C and Hibana's Type-89.

Also the process for testing attachments is awful.

Tumble posted:

Yup I'm a convert to suppressors. I played a week of recruit rushing to help reset my brain with regards to attachments and fell in love with suppressors after that. A very important thing to remember is that while you get an initial small damage reduction, as the match goes one people tend to lose health as they get into fights. The odds that you run into somebody who is going to die after they lose another 20-30 goes way up by the time the round is a minute or two in.

So all the damage charts in the world showing you that your DPS isn't optimized don't mean anything when you're shooting at Rook and kill him dead with a single bullet through the desk he's hiding behind because he had no idea where your shots were coming from.
Yeah, I like silencers in Siege but I just don't use them that much. I tried one on Frost's gun but the recoil difference compared to extended barrel bothered me. Also it raises the time to kill with bodyshots just a bit too much considering the RPM of her gun. Extended barrel doesn't really do anything (I think it takes one less bodyshot to kill/DBNO at range) but I prefer it.

EDIT: Here's an image showing locations to melee for one-hit vaults.

Polka_Rapper fucked around with this message at Jan 5, 2018 around 21:23

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Nebiros posted:

Frost's gun has recoil? What sight are you using?

Reflex. Changing between the barrels slightly modifies the pattern. The actual recoil isn't anything.

Here's a couple clips of my amazing Frost play.

https://streamable.com/lo7lj
https://streamable.com/8yq6q

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Thief posted:

even better is when someone vaults into danger but pulls off a bullshit headshot before they land in the trap or fall to death like they're in a Jason Bourne freefall

This video features two mats in plain sight along with a bullshit headshot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EjHr6kqFXM

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Airspace posted:

So I bought the Starter Edition.

Help.

Can I buy the Standard Edition and pretend nothing happened, or will there be some weird account fuckery that prevents it?

If you bought it on Steam and have played less than two hours, you might be able to refund it.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

caldrax posted:

This game has extremely jittery frame drops for me in multiplayer, I've googled the problem a fair amount and tried all the supposed fixes I could find, but nothing seems to work. It works fine in situations, but online it's a mess. None of my other games have this problem, at least not regularly (Titanfall 2 had it awhile back but I never found a solution and it seemed to get patched out) anyone had this and fixed it?

If you have Discord, do you have either the overlay enabled or hardware acceleration enabled? I found just having the overlay open with or without acceleration would cause drops. Even if the overlay did not show up in-game.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

keyframe posted:

Your daily reminder to join discord and play with goons so you don't have to worry about tk'ers and poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x5tfna-8lA

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Taking cover behind the hostage if possible is really good and dumb.

Running your drone around the hostage in prep phase if possible is really fun and dumb.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

I'm picking this up again after a year off and oh boy there were a bunch of changes. I have 20k renown and I'm going to try and pick up the remaining Y1 ops before the sale ends. Buck, Valk, Cap, and Echo are the ones I don't have, sorted in the order I want to get them.

Guillermus posted:

That and Kapkan traps when the round is about to end and they rush a site to plant.

https://i.imgur.com/ow0sTrR.gifv

There were 10 seconds remaining, and I was spectating Vigil because I died early.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

I was running some t-hunt while waiting to head out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgTeAy_sfeo&hd=1

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsvsUK0e4W0

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, I ran into several batches of rear end in a top hat pubbies last night.

Same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGORJBUUxiM

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Please don't play RB6 with pubbies, it generally doesn't go well around 40% of the time which for me is just unacceptable.

When I started about a year ago the community was pretty chill for the most part. Even when I admitted I was a free weekender. It's changed a bit.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Stan Taylor posted:

Just picked this up in the steam sale and played a couple of the training missions. Probably going to find a goon group to drag down tomorrow, but I'm nervous jumping into multiplayer. Any up to date newbie tips or intro vids I should check out? Are there any guides as to what characters are strong now or all they all pretty balanced? I have just the standard edition.

Most of the characters are good, some are a lot more situational than others. I'd recommend avoiding Castle, Pulse, and Tachanka on the defender side for now. They require good map knowledge and don't bring as much utility until you have a bit more experience. Other than that, just try what looks cool. If you want some lower pressure characters, I'd suggest Sledge, Thatcher, Ash, and Fuze (not on Hostage mode though) for the attackers, and Rook, Jäger, and Mute for defenders. Sledge's job is to smash through walls and shoot people, Thatcher's job is to follow Thermite and throw EMP grenades. Ash zooms around and shoots people and Fuze does his best to fill a room with explosives. If you die early, it's not as big of a loss as some other operators. They also have decent guns.

For the defenders I listed, you pretty much place your gadgets, reinforce walls, and piss off.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

The best part of hostage is running your drone around the hostage in the prep phase and hoping that the defenders kill the hostage while trying to shoot the drone. It has happened exactly once for me.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR3QVEn0TOs

oof

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph6nUEqgtbc

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I've only played about 10 hours, but I feel like I'm getting a special part of the noob queue in Casual. It's like all ex CSGO players with solid mechanics with multiple people saying "I'm new sorry" in the chat at start, and then talking a decent amount and fragging quite well without really understanding the game yet (so our callouts are loving dumb but that enemy tagging feature helps a lot). Sometimes there's an actual decent player who is obviously better, and teaches the team things and leads by example.

I'd heard this was a super toxic game and I'm kinda surprised. Haven't even been called a single name yet. Probably massively jinxed my luck. I guess it's the mediocre players that will be the true assholes and I'll run into them in the ranked queue all bunched up in the middle of the bell curve.

That was pretty much my new player experience, and I started on a free weekend. Actually went through two of those before buying the game, and it was positive the whole time. It helps a lot that you can be useful while dead, so I was able to sit on cameras/drones and do my best to give callouts and stuff.

My tip for callouts (which I still do because even with ~250 hours I haven't learned all the maps) is to call out compass directions if you don't know the room. My second tip is don't reinforce Kid's Bedroom on House. Why? The attackers can shoot in from the outside, and the defenders have to funnel in through one doorway to defend it.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L-8pi4781Y

I've been trying to sort that stuttering/freezing issue but no luck so far. I'm on a wired connection so I shouldn't be getting those lag spikes either.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Guillermus posted:

Do you have less than 3gb of video ram? Because Siege gave me crazy imput lag and stuttering on random rounds and switching my 2gb GTX960 to a 3gb 780Ti solved all my issues and was because of the lack of VRAM. Sometimes I noticed that Siege tried to load a lot of poo poo maybe because of the customization or whatever and my card liked to fart whenever anything tried to use more than 1.5gb of vram.

The 780ti was an inmense help in performance but it was the extra memory that helped (before the 780ti tried a 1050 with 4gb and didn't have issues and is supposed to have less performance than my olf 960).

That could be it. I have a GTX 760 which has 2 GB of video ram but I can't afford to upgrade yet. I used to be able to run Siege at 1080p/60 FPS last year with zero issues.

The Duggler posted:

Is it the dreaded "cpu bug"? Your game will just lock up for a second at random intervals on some days/matches/rounds. If you have two monitors try to keep task manager open when playing and if you freeze up look over and see if you are at 100% CPU usage.

I have misplaced my second monitor, so I can't check. It's possible I have that bug, since after a bit of searching it seems to happen on my specific processor (i5-4690K) more frequently than others.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Xaintrailles posted:

Also used to be fine for me, and I get freezes now. 3570 (non-K) and a friend on a 6-core Phenom gets the same. I have a 1070 so it's not VRAM.
If it takes a few matches to kick in for you it could also be a temperature problem, Core Temp has logging.

Anyone playing at solid 144 FPS, what's your CPU? I should upgrade.

I'll log some temps, but this thing has liquid cooling and I cleaned it out recently. It shouldn't be running too hot.

whoknew posted:

This was related to the Corsair iCUE software for me, so if you have any programs running in the background, see if you get the issue with them disabled for a bit.

Yeah, I saw some people said that was an issue. I have Logitech Gaming Software going for my mouse but that's pretty much it.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Iron sights, angled grip, and suppressor on the 552, huh?

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Finally bit on this via Humble sale so I can procrastinate on my backlog And R6V2 is one of my favorite games. Any advice for a new player to git gud? Play with bots to learn maps or just dive in? Any trap picks that are too complex or just bad?

I think the situations still give some free stuff but it's not as important now that all the attachments are free. It's worth playing some of them just to learn the controls and stuff. Let me quote my post about the operators.

Polka_Rapper posted:

Most of the characters are good, some are a lot more situational than others. I'd recommend avoiding Castle, Pulse, and Tachanka on the defender side for now. They require good map knowledge and don't bring as much utility until you have a bit more experience. Other than that, just try what looks cool. If you want some lower pressure characters, I'd suggest Sledge, Thatcher, Ash, and Fuze (not on Hostage mode though) for the attackers, and Rook, Jäger, and Mute for defenders. Sledge's job is to smash through walls and shoot people, Thatcher's job is to follow Thermite and throw EMP grenades. Ash zooms around and shoots people and Fuze does his best to fill a room with explosives. If you die early, it's not as big of a loss as some other operators. They also have decent guns.

For the defenders I listed, you pretty much place your gadgets, reinforce walls, and piss off.

My other advice is to get on the cameras/drones when you die and try to spot enemies or watch a teammate's back. Sometimes that involves scanning/pinging them, other times you just call out where they are. If you don't know the callouts (they are listed by the compass), call out compass directions.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

tomdidiot posted:

This new game mode is literally the best thing to happen to siege. I've been playing for a year and this game mode is exactly what I'm looking for. I hope they make this the default mode for both casual and ranked, 3 minute timer included, but with casual having a bigger map pool.

It taking so long to play is my only complaint. I just had a 9 round game that had multiple last-second finishes.

Also I'm only at 7/30 drones.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Just a warning that this video has absolutely nothing exciting or fun happening in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-fr6EfGFCw

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IARHJ7siYJk

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw7y5NfUkLI

"It's just a video game," I repeat to myself. It doesn't seem to help.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

my kinda ape posted:

Why not just plant in the other bomb site that you had cleared already?

I actually don't know that map at all. That was literally my first time attacking that bomb site.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Echo is a good ban because if he's alive he can interrupt the plant and if he's dead their team can still use his drone(s) to spot.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-392EheVUg

So, I thought Fuze was upstairs the whole time. After getting Capitao, I ran into the hallway when I heard Fuze's charge go off because it seemed like the safest place to be. I was aiming low to see if Capitao dropped the defuser which ended up getting me the kill on Fuze. Then after Twitch killed Mira and I got spotted, moving out of the way made Twitch think Valk was the one that got pinged. By then, she was trying to reposition, not expecting that a third enemy would be dumb enough to try the same doorway. The whole thing was pretty much luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

KingShiro posted:

Also being a new player, I have won rounds being dead as Kapkan because the last one or two enemies run into my traps. I've been using Blitz on attack, even with shields being wonky I can still do things sometimes.

House is a garbage map though if there is someone on attack playing Glaz.

Kapkan is one of my favorites. I feel like he needs a tweak or two but I still have a lot of fun playing him. In fact, I had this round earlier today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V1ud3KxNhE

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I guess castle walls also break in 12 melee hits, if that's your thing

I've seen people use the "hit it 11 times, and wait to ambush someone" strategy before and it's always funny.