Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«22 »
Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Tango down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

you can have it all, my empire of shirt

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

basically the main benefit of getting season passes is that you can spend all your renown on cyber barbie cosmetics:

anyone playing regularly will be able to eventually unlock everything in the game. really the only reason i bought season passes is because i like this game so much. once you have everything unlocked, all you have to do is bank around 50k renown to before each season to unlock whatever the current season DLC ops are.

starter edition players are ironically hosed over by having to grind their asses off for the base level operators but if you have the standard version of the game you should be fine. either way you don't need every operator in the game. i'm a nerd so i literally play them all but there are a significant number of people that simply use 3-4 main operators and are diamond ranked.

the end goal by devs is to have like 100 loving characters in this game so at some point everyone is gonna have a select few that they main.

vaginal facsimile posted:

May this be updated for the new operators please?

iirc i've generally used the muzzle break on Ying/Dokkaebi when not using a suppressor

also i wouldn't trust that chart 100%. the best thing to do is just try all 3 for yourself during regular casual matches if you are playing a specific operator regularly.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

Really? drat, I guess discord goons were lying to me then.

the best frost mains use suppressors, now let's take a look back at that chart and lol

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

why would you spend 5 minutes to test them through normal play and collect that sweet renwon when you could scour the most recent reddit essay about them and be stuck in Plat III forever?

the devs even standardized all sights because everyone was just using holo's 99% of the time but that was a lot funnier to sperg about wehn it was a thing

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

the map you are on and role you plan on playing is a bigger deciding factor of which attachment to use than what gun you're putting it on

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

fwiw some newer players may be interested in hanging back as an attacker and "playing for picks" until they learn the maps:

Tacticool Snipers:
  • Glaz 85dmg or 72 w/suppressor lol
  • Dokkaebi 60dmg or 125dmg w/shotgun

Optional DMRs:
  • Twitch (417) 69dmg
  • Buck (CAMRS) 69dmg
  • Blackbeard (SR-25) 72dmg

you can learn a lot from chilling in vantage points and seeing how the round unfolds. you'll also get a lot of headshots against impatient defenders poking their heads out from cover

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amQIJwDWPGs

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

keyframe posted:

That's a solid counterpoint you got there.

they're mad you said the armor is useless when every single operator you mentioned is absolutely more fun and engaging than rook.

hell even jager is less fire and forget of an ability. you can't even move the armor bag after deploying it lmao

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

toxic racist TKers are the exception from my experiences. i most certainly have experienced stints of terrible players in every gamemode from thunt to casual to solo ranked. but overall, if i hade to give a rough estimate after literal hundreds of hours playing this silly game, i would say that over 95% of my games have been filled with people either having fun picking wtfever ops or trying their best

and easily the majority of teams ive been on are willing to try and work as a team so long as one person isn't sperging on loadouts or strats to the point where it stops being experimental fun and you get the feeling this nerd is just trying to boost their stats that nobody cares about

fwiw castle and tachanka are in my top 5 most played defenders. more often than not people enjoy it when i pick them and i haven't been TK'd by random players for months.

maybe it has to do with being at a higher level putting you in games with other people that actually play regularly and aren't on a smurf/grief TK account idk

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Jehde posted:

Maybe just play whatever the hell you feel like playing?

this.

but i play doc a lot so i'm having a hard time caring about rook ever at all when he is the tachanka to my kapkan.

they shouldn't give the exact same guns when one clearly has better range than the other (doc needle/kapkan 2speed buff)

hell, even tachanka is more fun than rook tho

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Koramei posted:

"What op is good for newbies?"

"well at triple dog diamond tier, which I am so clearly in myself,"

diamond only goes up to doubledog you noob!

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

the best way to approach operator selection is to skim their bios and pick one that you think is cool or interesting for whatever reason at all

like even if tachanka is your first unlocked character guess what you'll have fun and everyone else you play after that will be cool or interesting except Rook lol

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

mira is extremely cool imo and in the top tier ops in terms of potential complexity

the only downside to mira is some nerd telling you where to put it when really gently caress that dude if you wanna roam and play FOB mira you will be alright

worst case scenario is you have a recoiless smg that gets insta-headshots

actual worst case is you run double shotguns on a wide open map and plant your miras facing inside the obj while castle blocks off the doors (this never actually happens on accident)

imo there is nothing wrong with new players jumping right into an operator like this. try valk. try hibana. if tacticool flexibility is your thing then operators like this have near infinite replay value

tl;dr its not like dropping a dufflebag full of kevlar then sitting in a corner, staring at a doorframe until time runs out or you get overrun because the rest of your team died

edit: go down the rabbithole even further and play dokkaebi; dmr that uses valk cams against her own team - smg phonecall push on-site ftw...

smoke or claymore? brb finding a chart for each map/gamemode/comp

Thief fucked around with this message at Jan 7, 2018 around 06:16

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

if you ever find yourself with an ash main that insists on playing her, use a silenced g36 w/laser dot

the one op nobody ever gets mad if you play them is thacher, even if there isn't a loving breacher lmao

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

sledge's smg owns but they had to take the acog off because it was basically game breaking

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I played Frost for the first time today.
Her gun is disgustingly good.

hiding her frost traps in plain sight is one of the funniest things because they work way better than they should

also around corners that nobody checks because its a bottleneck push and their focus is gonna be on the potential angle someone is holding.

another funny place to put them is the deep corner behind where they will peek from then reflexively backpedal into when shot at

but for now, put all your traps in the elevator corners on the new map. i got 3 to trigger this way when their friend repelled down to help them

also a very funny thing to do is in the airplabe basement halls and setup like 3 shields in a row with frost traps between them. they will have to hurdle over these loving things in the last 30s and its funnier than stepping on 3 lesion mines in a line

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

a lot of the time you can pixel snipe frost traps through gaps that are otherwise seemingly well hidden behind cover

but prefire spamming has been the most popular and effective way to deal without losing momentum or using explosives.

i've seen 3 speed attackers breach into a room at the last second, destroying the frost trap and killing the last anchor all with an acog and no reload. even better is when someone vaults into danger but pulls off a bullshit headshot before they land in the trap or fall to death like they're in a Jason Bourne freefall

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

ZeusCannon posted:

How so just place it in front of it?

perpendicular shields can block pathways if in the right spot. an easy one to try is the train room fireplace

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

rook isn't bad, just boring

and yes a skilled rook player will certainly have the attackers sitting there thinking "wow that rook is playing very well and contributing to their team" followed by a sigh of relief because that's one less trap/camera/3 speed to worry about

Deltasquid posted:

I used to use the AUG but a lot of people swear by the Commando. I think it's the fact that you can put a foregrip on it and it has higher damage that makes it a bit more reliable, but it's personal choice.

fwiw IQ is my most played op and i have generally ran with the Commando (angled+flash hider) when playing seriously because i'm not banging high RoF headshots as often as just dumping into the body. the slight increase in dmg per shot is noticeable imo

i feel like the aug is better in tight corners. its the same with the mp5 vs p90

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

it'll compromise a select few anchor locations but otherwise the only time you really see ppl sealing the floor hatch is to make it as hard as possible to extract with the hostage

in bomb its usually bad because on the off chance they plant in the hatch im pretty sure you can breach it to instantly destroy the defuser

Polka_Rapper posted:

This video features two mats in plain sight along with a bullshit headshot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EjHr6kqFXM

lol a cool frost buff would cause wriggle damage to people stuck in the trap

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

lol when you find out she's already been "nerfed"

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

bobua posted:

Bandit + barbed wire has been killing it lately. No one bandits the barbed wire anymore in plat\diamond ranks, dropping it under the hatch or random doors on maps that you don't really need all 4 bandits on walls absolutely destroys drones, last minute pushes and just random hatch drops just because it isn't expected anymore.

electrifying barbed wire is my favorite thing to do with him and is pretty underrated since the somewhat recent re-buff

wire placement in general is imo but you can min/max the spread in meaningful ways as a trapper. with bandit you can put them in corners behind doorframes and hide the battery in a difficult to snapshoot spot. they will walk over it while "slicing the pie" as they say and shock themselves at least once. you can use this technique to do serious damage to overzealous bomb defusers.

also if this type of wire trap is next to a reinforced wall, you can sacrifice 1 extra battery to the wall. they will think its just that flat surface and still run into the room only to get shocked when you doubled down.

also shockwire at the top of ladders is funnier than a claymore because they will often try to tank the damage

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

the initial nerf to capitao's rifle was a step in the right direction if ash/twitch/ela take and keep dps loss to their main weapons. a lot of people pick ash because the R4 is Famas level OP when stacked on her skinny/fast/broken hitbox.

would it be weird if their end goal is trying to avoid a power creep but are doing it incrementally just to test the cause & effect? i wish they were open about global pickrates and whatnot.

ela's main gun should be absolutely nerfed into the ground and ruined at this point. this is because grzmots make more sense with semi-auto shotgun ambushes and her most unique snowflake ability is to run around at 3 speed with a suppressor on it. i played her like this for the majority of blood orchid and it was one of the most fun setups i've ever experienced in this game even though the scorpion is game breakingly good.

if her lore is to be an angsty deviantartist then she shouldn't be a favored top pick and instead fall into the underdog catagory for nerds like me that enjoy gimmick loadouts

Koramei posted:

The twitch and bandit nerfs sound fine to me honestly. Bandit's still got a great utility and not really any reason to have 3 barbs (altho also not any reason to not, imo), and twitch having to actually think rather than just zapping everything is a welcome change.

i've seen enough skilled bandit mains use batteries to cause damage on shock wires to block drones, deployable shields to shoo away attackers from certain doors AND do bandit tricks on the loving garage wall to kill breaches all in the same round. when you think about it he might actually be one of the most versatile and dangerous trap users in the game because on top of it all he can cause serious grief using his SMG to do hit and run attacks in between all of this.

i don't think them taking away a wire is gonna impact this all too much. its hardly a nerf, much like ela's.

twitch's ammo reduction is likely because a skilled twitch player can single handedly take out every camera on the map, pop the miras, kill the batteries and kill lesion/ela/kapkan traps. or kill the occasional black eye. or even kill the worst players on earth. THEN run in and melt faces with what many consider to be the best rifle in the game.

keep in mind she gets 2 drones so...

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

as a person that regularly solo ques ranked when not playing with goons i just wanna say that there are quite likely as many players if not more that just play ranked for fun but enjoy the teamwork oriented vibe instead of constant roaming and playing for kills

it isn't until around Gold I that people start getting genuinely salty (and not in the ironic smurf/griefer/rank tanker sort of way) but have instead just hit their skillcap and no amount of quoting some famous YouTuber's strategy guide will save them

basically my advice is that if you don't care about bouncing around in rank limbo then feel free to continue playing ranked matches because the game quality tends to be very good even if you are getting steamrolled

Thief fucked around with this message at Jan 11, 2018 around 23:34

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

opening your own black mirrors is actually cool and good

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/gB8q664.webm

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

e: ^this lol

Frush posted:

Is Bandit mostly good for trying to zap drones at the start? The batteries don't usually seem to catch much else.

in the prep phase he is a really good makeshift Mute because the electricity will 1-shot drones if they are dumb enough to try and jump over. but in general bandit is mostly used to defend against hard breachers (thermite/hibana) from cutting through reinforced walls or at least delaying them

a thatcher can take out many of his batteries at once but a big reason they gave him an extra is so that he can do the bandit trick more often:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Ki4TK2QgM

people that play him a lot will start to get comfortable moving the batteries around as needed as they develop greater game sense because once someone knows where they are placed they tend to be one of the easier traps to destroy when there is nothing else to shoot at.

try asking your team to bring shields and put them on the doors. you can shock them and anyone trying to jump over will take damage. it acts as a good time sink because most people are afraid to tank the damage and usually the only way to shoot it is to jump over and look down which both totally exposes and hurts you. otherwise you gotta flank around and try to get in from a different angle

of course some bandit mains just ignore all of this and spawnpeek the attackers with his SMG until they rage quit. roaming and shocking the floor while kiting people around is one of the uses for his extra barbed wire. baiting the enemy into your traps, whatever the operator you've chosen is always

Thief fucked around with this message at Jan 12, 2018 around 07:41

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Abisteen posted:

I guess I should do all those and pick out a few operators that look cool?

yes. pick ANY operator that you find interesting for whatever reason at all. they are literally all viable outside of high tier ranked matches. until you get a feel for the type of gameplay you enjoy it doesn't matter who you choose and you can just run around and explore the abilities and have fun

Abisteen posted:

I should probably also get a few regular games under my belt before I start ruining goon games?

no, just hop in discord there is always an active group every night. the game ain't that serious and much of the fun comes from playing with people that will watch your back. if you want to l2play just follow a goon around the map and try not to die. you'll learn a ton of little tricks in the process that will help you when you're breaching alone or playing defense.

siege is generally incredibly flexible and fluid for an indoor shooter and tbh there aren't that many black&white rules so any advice you hear from a tryhard should be taken with a grain of salt. the best players in casual games tend to adapt and improvise to what works best for them. for some this means hiding in a corner with a shotgun. for others it means running into the enemy spawn with a smg. its all up to you lol

Thief fucked around with this message at Jan 12, 2018 around 22:00

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

bandit + mira is a good combo on garage but also a well placed valk cam can let you battery camp practically anywhere

thatcher can throw multiple EMPs and with the right timing there's no stopping the breach. all they have to do to setup is follow thermite, watch and wait

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

what they REALLY need to do is make a role for each operator with the proper CTU hex code taken directly from the color sample tool

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

keyframe posted:

Thinking about turning off teammate outlines again though...

lol i want to see hostage matches with tacticool realism mode on

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

lmao we ran into this random player yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrXCPpcQ36E

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

plasma pink owns

i want the tiny alpha pack charm before i stop opening these random beef jerkey mystery flavors. or the dice because is a top tier strat

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Holy poo poo, did you play with the real Ding Chavez?

i feel bad for new players keep encountering these toxic TKers in the smurf pool but lately i have been running into a lot of players that just do funny cyber operator poo poo like this and have a dumb pun/avatar combo for an operator they like.

don't recall ever seeing this many display name memes in other ubisoft games

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

yeah, gameplay wise i think she is one of the coolest operators

the vector might be the overall best smg in the game. shotguns are shotguns but i've also been playing her a lot lately and using the 12L/pistol combo has become one of my favorite comedy options available

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpQKzEAXBhc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPzQNcGSmPI

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

sound is very important in this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUM6_HUWHuE

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

keyframe posted:

Ela says hi.

that and the K1A play so much like bigboy rifles that i often forget they're even SMGs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

vigil is everything a jager main could ask for

the gun is nearly identical but looks and sounds cooler

the comedy option shotgun runs on hi-octane Gold III tears

no dumb loving bullshit device to deploy so that you can immediately run to the far end of the map and double cut every door/window to prep multiple spawn peeks

pure roamer's delight

«22 »