Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Hi, it's me, i am the dummy who bought the starter edition. Only ops I outright bought were the Canadians and German task force resulting in a price point comparable to regular edition on sale. I think I unlocked some other buddies via the season 2 pass credits meaning I've spent close to a full retail standard price on the game. But it's so definitely worth it to me, I love this game with 190 hours played since November.

Even still I iterate that anyone interested should definitely buy the regular edition!!! Unlocking new ops can be a chore which I personally didn't mind but considering that the renown spent on ops can be spent on cosmetics/lootboxes instead it's a losing deal. Especially since these days regular edition starter characters are all unlocked from the get go.

This driveby confessional/PSA post is brought to you by following sponsors:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
As for actual thread content: I never play Mira without carrying her sidearm shotgun. It's just so versatile: as both breaching tool as well as capping fools. You can create killzones by reinforcing a section of wall and popping a hole next to it, even without spending mirrors. Mirrors are worth it to create spyholes out of reinforced rooms but not really useful as kill holes themselves. Busting them open takes too long meaning you'll probably miss your chance to shoot someone. Oh, and they're also gone forever after you open them so now you have extra ventilation to your murderbox and soon your dumdum face also.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Jetamo posted:

I've started popping mirrors on non-reinforced walls so I can surprise spray people I see. Especially if I put it at crouch height so I can just quickly stand up and shoot.

Gave this a try when I played just now and it seems like a success. Not a lot of people seem to expect mirrors in unreinforced walls which leaves them guessing. With two shotguns it's also really easy to move around the map.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I aim my shotguns behind me and firing wantonly propel forward at blazing 2 pip operator speed

jyrque fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 9, 2018

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Montagne's extended shield cannot be punched out of the way.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I always wear my nendoroid charmu (that is Japanese for charm) when going to the Nippon map for higher camouflage value.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Weird how more people don't play Castle. Usually when I do see someone as him they shield barricade all doors to the objective and lie down in a corner camping. It's way more interesting to create kill corridors by blocking routes leading to the objective and roaming instead.

And if you're unlucky enough to end up with an objective room at top floor you can still barricade the windows and make enemy approach more difficult.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
ELO is fine. I'm actually surprised my casual mode winrate hovers at 50:50 (0.97 currently). Looks like Ubi is doing something right at least re: matchmaking.

The toxicity ban system seems to be working too: the other day there was a constant ban message stream throughout a single match lol

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Guess the matchmaking works without ELO then huh so why even care about a number in ypur video game?

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
hosed up if true

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

cock hero flux posted:

i'm just shouting

not an empty quote

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

afkmacro posted:

The gently caress is going here? https://streamable.com/6r46y (30s clip)

1. classic POV abuse by crouching at a specific place
2. caveira black voodoo magic
3. i'm too senile to see her there

View models vs player models are hella wonk in this game.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I've tagged an embarrassing amount of people through walls, barricades and windows when making murderholes. I'm just lucky I guess :shrug: somewhat related my accuracy is 1.03 as per the game's statistics which leads me to believe hitting walls doesn't count as "missing"a target.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
:eyepop:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Flipswitch posted:

How'd ya get these stats? I'm curious how loving awful I am!

On PC you can check basic winrate stats in Uplay. For more detailed stats such as per character winrates go to https://game-rainbow6.ubi.com/en-us/home

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
+5 enemy spotted again
+5 enemy spotted again

:downs:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Lesion and Ela are kinda similar but currently Lesion does roaming better thanks to impact grenades Ela doesn't have anymore. Plus Lesion gets a whole lot of area coverage from his mines: you see each spike mine in your HUD meaning it's easier to tell where the enemy is coming from.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Thief posted:

lesion is better now after the nerf BUT ela is one of the single best shotgun roamers in the game. she is even better than m870 bandit/jager if you are playing for kills instead of the obj :twisted: only finka can compare

Ela's shotgun is hella undervalued. It shoots tightly packed buck shot at high rate allowing you to tag dudes drive-by style.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Finka's nanomachines open up new possibilities. Like a bee tommy gun.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Kapkan's underwater camo index: 95%

Jaeger's lifeguard gear is great for blending into the objective bomb.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Playing Doc with default uniform and Outbreak hat sucks. A yellow splot on top of a blue blob seems to direct all bullets in the map towards your dome.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I'd take one of those terrible, edgy clown masks over tactical eyepop.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Flipswitch posted:

What's the difference between the standard and starter editions now with all the base operators being free? A buddy is looking to get into it.

Starter edition doesn't get all base operators for free. Instead they get enough premium currency to unlock six base operators. Starters are also stuck with unlocking base characters at 12500 renown a pop which takes a while to grind.

It's not a great deal. Best to just wait for a -50% sale on the base edition if you want to get in cheap.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
That new map sure has a lot of hardwood floors. It'd be a shame if someone with a shotgun got to renovating the place.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I honorably stand in full standing posture, begging bullets to enter my face.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_wFbWkUgD4

They released gameplay already.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Objective is my castle. Bitches leave. :colbert:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
One Cool Trick is that team mates can take down (i.e not destroy) Castle's bullshit walls who will have them replenished.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
If my masterplan of minimizing attack angles is trouble for someone they can do something about it at no cost to me. I think that's good feature. I don't think I've encountered even once someone intentionally destroying my gadgets, much less Castle walls.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

look at this lad

an absolute unit

Aesis posted:

Newbie's first top game after countless times of dying so fast :unsmith:

I've been having horrible time because I can't really use earphones without pain and have to rely on crappy speakers (couldn't tell where enemy was, as well as whether I'm making any noise or not), but on a few games I tried with earphones it really made a big difference.

This is the only game I know where it's possible to tell your enemy's position on another floor or through walls. The sound design is so good and using headphones is such a boon.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Game is really healthy, and was even before free weekend. Casual matchmaking takes anything between 5 to 30 seconds, ranked slightly more.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
The best plays I've seen in solo queue are the Valkyries using their cameras for themselves, never spotting anyone and going full roamer mode. Her pistol is kinda wank but the carbine is great and greatly makes up for it imo. It shoots peas for sure but it's both stable and and quick to pop headshots with.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Dokkaebi is practically a secondary sniper with her rifle and it rules.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I really hope they will update Alibi holograms to match her visuals and loadout. It's kinda obvious who the real one is after they add the sombrero headgear and buff shotgun to be best in game.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Shockeh posted:

Wait, it doesn't? But that's actually going out of their way - It'd be easier to load one set of assets (the ones the Alibi player has equipped) than to load the default.

Nope! It was confirmed in the official Para Bellum overview video.

I'm positive it's due to a technical reason they can't load a new skin into the game. Maybe they just :effort: 'd a single model and called it a day. But if Overwatch (eventually almost two years later) managed to allow skinchanging at the start of round I'm sure Ubi can update their system to add one extra, customizable model in their game.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Shotgun on offense are rarely used for reasons Thief explained. However there are also *less* shotguns in general on offense, their advantage being more accurate rifles and ACOG. Offense op will most likely win a peek duel just because they can pop their opponent's head straight off.

Personally I really like shotguns in this game. There's enough variety in them to warrant use in all situations. The game is built around the fact most any surface can be destroyed and the shotgun excels at this. Some offense shotguns I particularly like (I'm not a gun nut and cannot remember exact types or models sorry) :

- SAS (Thatcher, Sledge): shoots tightly packed buckshot with decent enough range. Excellent for breaching! I run Sledge exclusively with a shotgun in order to create murderholes at range, because he also gets a tiny SMG with furious fire rate and accuracy.
- GIGN (Lion, Twitch) : similar to above but even greater* range at a slightly faster firing speed.
- FBI (Ash, Thermite): semi automatic shotgun that covers a lot of space. What it lacks in range and accuracy it wins in sheer amount of projectiles vomited towards the enemy. It's also really lovely at breaching, without the ability to create consistent holes. Don't rely on busting through walls in a hurry with this.

Buck is a special case with his masterkey shotgun gadget. Out of all shotguns it's the best at breaching but with the lowest range. You really have to stick it into opfor's face to hit them but oh boy does it just erase them or what.

* GIGN shotgun range is still lovely and will lose to an SMG at medium range.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
One of those Red Orchestra 2 freestyle mounts would probably be too powerful but really cool. You could support your gun against most anything in the environment.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
If you're eyeballing a specific character in a DLC season roster, consider buying the entire season bundle instead. You get 8 ops for the price of four.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
There's a reason the report button is now labeled as Report toxic behaviour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Tachanka rework: replace LMG with bullet bees.