Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I just pretend to be nice.

Lipstick Apathy

SMP posted:

the only real way to learn them is through playing them, custom games won't help you much.

For actual strategy definitely, but I've found wandering around in an empty custom game is a great way to learn the layouts themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

"What op is good for newbies?"

"well at triple dog diamond tier, which I am so clearly in myself,"

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The twitch and bandit nerfs sound fine to me honestly. Bandit's still got a great utility and not really any reason to have 3 barbs (altho also not any reason to not, imo), and twitch having to actually think rather than just zapping everything is a welcome change.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I've been playing this game for almost two years and my drone murdering skills are still total poo poo so anything that nerfs the little fucks is fine with me

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Chillgamesh posted:

This destroys their gadget (and Thermite will get zapped for a little damage as well), and also prevents the attackers from killing your battery with a Thatcher grenade or something. Be prepared to have the attackers bitch at you for ~trying so hard~ if you do this though.

Bandit's my most played defender and I've literally not once had someone say I'm tryharding for bandit tricking. I wouldn't worry about this too much.

The real pain as bandit is getting shot in the back of the head because the teammate that you thought was defending the corridor behind you from Ash rushing in is actually staring at the corner dancing to the radio or something.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Bandit Tricking is next to impossible if the other team came prepared and is coordinating. If they have a combination of Thatcher (or Twitch/Capitao depending on the wall) and both Thermite and Hibana, that wall is opening one way or another.

On the bright side if they do this to you, it means more than half their team has to focus attention on the wall you're holding for a good chunk of the round, which really limits them in other places.

Other than the mechanics of tricking itself one tip I have is to learn which walls you should prioritize holding above others. A breach on consulate garage on the left side of the door that just opens up into the super exposed middle is a lot less beneficial to the attackers than a breach on the far right which lets them get behind the white van to plant with impunity, for instance, so doubling down the defense of that van panel if you think you can't hold the rest will still be helpful.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

For real. I'm using a 6 year old graphics card and I can still run 60@1440p without any frame drops at all.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

the game icon in the taskbar flashes orange doesn't it?

if I'm doing full screen and get a message popup it slows the game to a crawl though so I don't like using it. I hadn't thought about no vsync though, I might have to try that.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Penpal posted:

And yeah sound is super important. Make sure your Dialogue volume is at 100... for some reason it controls the volume of footsteps.

Wait seriously? That's broken as poo poo.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

- Ways to learn and explore the maps (no, solo custom matches don't count, it doesn't sound like he was even aware you could do that, and for good reason)

I don't really agree with the rest of your post but I don't massively disagree either, but this one point I don't understand at all and I've seen it said a few times now. Why exactly do solo custom matches not count? It's not even especially hidden, it's right there in the multiplayer menu.

And that's completely ignoring terrorist hunt, which is extremely easy to launch into a solo game of.

I've played my fair share of shooters and Siege is really...the easiest among all of them to set up a quick testing game of, and that's including Overwatch and TF2. I'd like to see them have the map-choosing system not buried behind 3 menus I guess but aside from that it's basically effortless, and that's a major part of the reason Siege is now my go-to singleplayer shootmans game for when I want to unwind. I guess it's important that it's that easy since learning the maps is so vital to Siege in particular, so I can see why it doesn't deserve extra praise for it, but I don't think it's really a valid criticism either.

The one part I do totally agree with is that the situations should be updated. Don't they still have Thermite with frags in them? And while claymores are pretty intuitive, impacts aren't so much and they're super vital to understand so that's a pretty big omission.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

hm okay that's a fairer point than I gave it credit for, and while trying to make bots that can play out rounds in a remotely sensible way that actually prepares you for much seems like a hopeless feat I guess it is kinda lacking.

conversely the whole spiel about DLC ops being necessary just makes me mad. you get 20 loving operators, including nearly all of the best ones in the game. the idea that you'll be left out to dry without the DLC ops is ridiculous. It's a failure of communication that new players think they need to have them to stay competitive but it's not a game play problem in the slightest.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mira is sorta must have, she totally transforms how some points can play out.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Attacking recruit with french shotgun + grenade and breaches is one of my go-tos if I want to mess around. Blow open the entire ceiling above them hopefully while simultaneously doming their heads.

Technically Buck may fill the niche better but his shotgun is so much less satisfying.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

All the new skins have made telling what operator is what at a glance way harder than it used to be, but the only ones I've ever had an issue with as genuine camo are the default uniforms for the spetsnaz. On minimum settings they blend into concrete really well.

Hiking up the game's price is bullshit, I dunno what the hell they're thinking with that. OTOH the level of outrage over the incredibly benign lootcrates is borderline funny.

edit: announcement from Epi https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/c...ij8&sh=da5aa78b

so they're putting the $40 edition back in, thank gently caress. and giving everyone the Ash elite? odd

Koramei fucked around with this message at Jan 27, 2018 around 00:11

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

eh

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

lol

e2: oh you're just memeing aren't you

Koramei fucked around with this message at Jan 31, 2018 around 18:50

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Yeah I'm actually hyped as hell for a new PVE game mode but them putting in all this effort for a 4 week event seems really bizarre.

tjones posted:

Not sure of the definite answer, but I don't believe bullets do penetrate. That being said, I'm fairly sure bodies are client side and aren't always in the same position for all client's pov.

They made a big effort to move all client-side stuff server-side during Health (or at least announced they would, but I think it's one of the things that made it in) so I think you can hide behind bodies effectively now. I've definitely used it a couple of times, and yes they definitely block bullets.

I don't know 110% that bullets don't penetrate multiple living people but in like 700 hours of this game I've literally never seen it so I would be extremely surprised.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Whoah I had no idea. I wonder if the slug shotgun does the same.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

your rank gets reset (but iirc is still weighted based on previous seasons) but everything else, like your k/d, stays.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Health thing seems pretty cool but adding another tracker immediately after Dokkaebi who was already another tracker after Jackal seems kinda odd. I guess they really want to shut down roamers compared to how it was a few seasons back.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I have the better part of a thousand hours in this dumb game and I've literally never seen a draw. How does it happen?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws8gWA9m3Fc

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ash's gadget is actually one of the best in the game

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A lot of it can, frags are also great. But don't underestimate being able to blow open a wall at a distance with almost no warning.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Play some more roam-y ops so you can flank people and take who headshots who first more out of the equation.

and no offense dude but there's no way there's not room for you to improve in other areas beyond just reflexes at low gold. At high gold there's still ways to outplay people that don't at all involve that; the best player in my group who sits solidly in platinum while the rest of us teeter around gold has some of the worst aim of all of us, but he gets kills because he plays the maps insanely well.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

They're not flatly good, it's situational. If you're attacking aggressively then the extra visibility is not gonna matter for poo poo, and having the hipfire accuracy helps you a ton if you need to make snap shots as you rush around the map. If you're stealthily holding an angle then obviously you're gonna care more about that visibility, and you're probably not gonna be ADS'ing so quickly for it to benefit so much anyway.

Also I dunno about taking away ACOGs for most people, the imbalance between attacking/defending guns is a big thing. Giving DMR's even better zoomies could be a cool way to buff them though.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jedrick posted:

They're removing elas impacts! Yay!

Also lowering damage and further increasing recoil of the scorpion.

yes good

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I dunno, you could say that about any gun. A big part of Ela's problem was she could just keep loving holding the trigger down with barely any ill effect, so if this makes that less possible it could be a big change. Also losing impacts is actually gonna be a huge difference.

Also I read a couple of posts on the reddit about being able to ban ops? Can someone that watched the stream elaborate on that? Like you can pick an op to outlaw for the enemy team each round or something?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Claiming "technical limitations" is kind of stupid but considering it's a goodwill gesture to be removing the renown cost on this stuff in the first place the complaining beyond that is pretty ridiculous.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Just bought the hideous red new year's headgear and skin for Lesion, no regrets.

The Kingfish posted:

It isn't a "goodwill" gesture though it's a decision to make the game more accessible for brand new players.

Sure, either way it's bizarre to whine about it. The game's been doing better than ever, they didn't need to do this. Ubi's done some genuinely dumb things with Siege recently, so the outcry about not getting free renown where there was no reason to have any in the first place is pretty stupid.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kilometers Davis posted:

Iíll still consider Siege. I hate no respawn shooters but if this game is really something special it might be worth giving it a shot. I wonder if thereís going to be another free weekend? I missed the last one.

It's worth mentioning that since a huge part of this game is about intel from watching cameras and stuff, the round doesn't really just end for you once you die, there's still a bunch you can do by observing and giving callouts and stuff. I hate no respawn in CS but it pretty much never even crosses my mind in Siege, you nearly always feel busy. YMMV in solo queue though, I don't do that much and I bet people don't bother listening to your callouts as much.

also yeah there will definitely be another free weekend at some point, they seem to happen every few months or so.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Not to get all smuggo but I'm pretty disappointed with the difficulty on pandemic. Left 4 Dead at the higher difficulties feels like an entirely different game that's immensely more threatening. Outbreak just feels mostly the same but with friendly fire. I mean it's still not easy, but I haven't once felt the need to adjust how I play it--maybe feeling incentivized to make use of stealth or something, or stick together more or something.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lesion is basically that. When I started using his mines for intel more than to attempt to hinder people is when my k/d for him jumped a shitload.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah but unlike a general alarm only Lesion knows what's tripped and needs to call it out. A general alarm is quite a bit better than that.

It's a pretty distinctive sound. Not so helpful for one across the map but if it's in an important location close to them your teammates should be able to make use of it too.

also be a good Lesion and make the callouts

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

https://gfycat.com/FearfulImpassionedGelding

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Plus Blitz getting turned into a monstrous Battering Ram of Doom on TTS before they walked it back.

I'm mostly with you on the other ones, but you shouldn't really fault them for stuff they do on TTS, the whole point of it is for testing.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I think you could kill two bear traps with a bunch of guns if you were planning for it, but then if you were planning for itóand so knew they were thereóitís pretty simple to kill bear traps in most positions (especially when theyíre oriented vertically doubled up, so they canít be concealed by the shield/ledge as easily) before making the leap in the first place. I think the advantage of double traps is the surprise at there being two of them, not any actual extra durability.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

That's not right, I remember Frost's 9mm is in the list too. Actually IIRC it's basically the only one that there's literally no difference in shots to kill until you get out to stupid ranges; for the others it's just a negligible difference.

Someone made a chart of it all a year or so back, would be cool to see an updated version.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I guess that works too, but for the one I was thinking of someone put it all in a nice table and poo poo. Come to think of it I think it was from one of those Siege youtube channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

If there's no other option, literally always yes. If it's that vs whatever the other grip is called, it's might be worth picking the one that lets you ADS faster if that's your playstyle, with the rushy ops at least. The only gun you should always pick the ADS grip for is the Korean shotgun though, since recoil is basically meaningless for it.

quote:

I don't feel the benefits of the suppressor are worth the damage reduction and missing out on the recoil reduction provided by other attachments. The only exception is Frost's 9mm SMG, which can't use the other attachments and works well with the suppressor because of its extremely low recoil.

To be fair at the level he's playing at, he probably gets a lot less use out of the no damage indicators than most of us do at the lowers tiers.

«2 »