Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

If it's an objective where windows often get attacked, there's usually a window or door elsewhere in the building that lets you shoot at the attackers from their sides. If you roam on the same side of the building you can also jump out and get a kill or two before hopping back in. Even if you don't, it should terrify attackers enough to have them enter the building ASAP so you can't do it again.

Of course this all assumes your team doesn't fold like wet paper upon first contact. If opfor kills 3 teammates and jumps in instantly, your best chance is to try to get into 1v1 peeking fights and win them five times, which is easier said than done but probably smarter than rushing into objective and getting gunned down by 3 enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

vaginal facsimile posted:

May this be updated for the new operators please?

These are basically the preferences of one or other pro gamer and not really "objective" by any means. Get a feel for what works best for you

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Jack Trades posted:

Except that's not the case at all.

Really? drat, I guess discord goons were lying to me then.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Jack Trades posted:

Nah, your reading comprehension just sucks.
I recommend looking on the the wiki what the barrel attachments actually do and then having a long hard think.

Ok cool.

Is reducing the vertical kick of the Famas' 2nd shot by 40% objectively better than slightly reducing the vertical recoil and greatly reducing the horizontal recoil for the first 3 shots?

Gosh I don't know. Maybe I'd have to test them both out before I get a feel for them.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Jack Trades posted:

You skipped the part where you were supposed to have a think.

Flash Hider only significantly affects the recoil of the first 3 shots while the Compensator affects the horizontal spread (and vertical recoil, slightly) for the whole spray, making Flash Hider the objectively better choice for the weapons that favor burst fire over sprays and vice verse for the Compensator.

Meanwhile the Muzzle Break is objectively better for semi-auto weapons but I think even you realized that.

So we're in agreement that the chart is bullshit then? Or do you use the Famas with muzzle brake? Do you always full auto with the MK17, and never with the p90? Or would you agree that this is a matter of personal taste and not gospel truth?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Ranked people are sweatier and try harder but the really dumb/risky runout to spawn stuff I almost never see in ranked. Otoh you get a lot more people breaking poo poo all around you and explosions and bullshit peek angles and murderholes lol

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Ranked has infinitely more squeakers demanding to play ash, though. And infinitely more jerks going "no, gently caress you" and slampicking her before the kid.

EDIT: serious upside of playing ranked is that after the grueling placement matches you'll be put in a tier with similar skill level, so the learning process is more gradual than having a platinum in the opposing team dunk on everyone like happens in casual sometimes.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Buck's AR also feels a bit lousier than Sledge's AR, in my opinion. I think it has more recoil?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

It's merely annoying on most maps but whenever somebody does it on the trophy room window on bartlett and locks off 33% of the viable entry points I pop a rage boner

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

The Duggler posted:

Rook is good but recommending him to new players is probably going to make them quit the game.

Imagine a world where you just drop your only ability at the he start of a round, are unsure of what exactly it does and then be expected to sit in site all game and get instant headshot by somebody peeking you

??

I started out playing exclusively rook on defense and I think many people would feel the stress of using gadgets + learning maps + learning everything else about siege to be overwhelming. You've got more than enough to keep your busy just learning the maps on defense and figuring out which side opfor is coming from.

Imagine a world where you put your ADS on the windows and your sore teammates TKs you, or a world where you run around placing kapkan traps and get headshot because you were so focused on figuring out where the drat things should go while the attack phase already began, without even having used your wall reinforcements. Infinitely more infuriating.

EDIT: I am seriously confused at all the people who scoff at easing a newbie into the game using a straightforward set that always helps your team, taking off the stress of "am I disappointing my team?" which is probably a factor in getting yelled at and, unsurprisingly, quitting the game due to toxicity.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at Jan 8, 2018 around 15:24

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

I AM BRAWW posted:

Is the AUG or the Commando better for IQ?

I used to use the AUG but a lot of people swear by the Commando. I think it's the fact that you can put a foregrip on it and it has higher damage that makes it a bit more reliable, but it's personal choice.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

I used 30 charges by gratuitously missing.

Anyway 5 charges is fine but make them do 15 damage instead of 10. 10 seems low with how few you have and 20 seems too high but 15 at least makes a pot shot a risk/reward worth taking or at least considering if you've popped the jammers or batteries.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

ZeusCannon posted:

New person question. Do the bundle skins go away at end of year? Like the monolith and broadway and what not?

I don't know which bundles you're talking about but generally speaking bundles and skins you purchase are unlimited in time once you buy them. Seasonal weapon skins, for example, apply to every gun in the game at the time of purchase, forever, but the devs don't bother making that same skin for future guns.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

ZeusCannon posted:

To clarify those are the pistol skins i mentioned are the ones that come with the posh and dignified etc bundles. I dont want to have a steampunk thatcher but i like the artdeco style skin for the pistol so im debating saving towards them with renown but if they are gonna disappear soon i wont bother.

They're permanent if you buy them. The window to purchase itself might be time-limited but I don't think they do that except with explicitly marked seasonal skins. However, I think you should have a look under at the weapon and then under the skins tab whether they sell the gun skin individually. It might be half the price of the total bundle or w/e, but if you only care about the weapon skin it'll save you some grinding.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Duplicate posted:

While we're on the topic, could someone explain to me why reinforcing the kids room is bad? I'm new enough at the game that I've heard this before, but I don't know why this causes problems.

I don't actually know anything about what wall to reinforce or not reinforce other than not blocking walls between the two bomb sites (presumably because it makes it harder to cover both of them at the same time). Are there any rules-of-thumb that should be more widely known?

The rules of thumb is a bit complicated but generally speaking, don't reinforce a room if that makes it harder for the defenders to "reconquer" it if the attackers take it, compared to the effort of the attackers taking it themselves. applied to kids' bedroom: the only ways in are via the closet, the corridor or the outside windows. The attackers almost always go in via the outside windows, so the defenders are better off opening up as many firing holes into kids' bedroom from e.g. the workshop and the master bedroom. By doing this you're making it a death trap for the attackers to plant or capture, while being in a defensible spot yourself, and if they do end up planting, you can easily reconquer it through the many holes in the walls.

Another example of this principle is on Chalet, if you're protecting an objective in the kitchen: locking off the wall between kitchen and trophy room is tempting, but the kitchen itself is actually fairly hard to hold because the attackers can always shoot you from the long window there. A lot of people prefer opening up that wall and protecting the trophy room as well by planting an anchoring operator there, who watches the window into the trophy room. Should he die or the kitchen be conquered, the defenders can still easily regroup and go for a counter-attack without being obstructed by their own reinforcements.

EDIT: this is also why you should always reinforce exterior walls of your objective. It poses 0 problems for the defenders, reconquering-wise, because you basically never attack the objective room from the outside as a defender, while greatly hindering the attackers by denying them another angle of attack. All things being equal, you should also reinforce walls that have no doors, because again you are denying a venue of attack. If the attackers open up a wall right next to a door, that's kind of annoying but you can cover both at once as a defender. If they open a wall behind you, a hatch above you and the door in front of you, that's 3 angles to cover while you only have one set of eyes and ears.

so if I were to make a list I would put these priorities:

1) reinforce exterior walls and hatches above the objective (hatches under the objective depends per specific hatch, but usually defenders want to be able to jump down and flank. If the objective room is really cramped like chalet's bar, then reinforce it because attackers chucking grenades through the hatch from below is a bad time)
2) open up walls between two bomb sites if it's bomb
3) don't reinforce walls that you know should be open (e.g. kids bedroom, chalet trophy room, the closet in oregon basement) This comes with experience
4) reinforce walls that don't have a door
5) reinforce walls that have a door

Also in some fringe cases you have walls that lead directly into a closet or bathroom or whatever. If you think you can have a defender hold the room adjacent to objective, don't reinforce between these two rooms but rather einforce the adjacent room and put a rotation hole in there. As a newbie you shouldn't be concerned with this, but e.g. on consulate there is a spot on the upper floors where people break the wall between the bathroom and the objective room and reinforce the walls in the bathroom instead, so they can have a defender protect from the bathroom with an easy way into objective room. If you reinforced the walls between the bathroom and objective, that makes it hard for a defender to sit on that spot and cover the hallway. But again, don't really care about this until you've seen somebody do it succesfully.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at Jan 11, 2018 around 20:14

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Oh yeah, there's definitely an element of personal preference. With the exception of reinforcing exterior walls of the objective room, I'd say all of the rules can be bent depending on how the defenders are feeling, and that's what makes siege such a dynamic and addictive game to me. One match you might have a team that prefers to box themselves in and hold the angles, another match you'll face a team that opens up as many holes as possible and peeks you from every side. I think that's why they pulled favela from the map rotation: every objective had a bunch of exterior walls to reinforce, so there was no real strategy involved. You either locked them off or you lost.

EDIT: some choice spots to open up as rook are above and below the objective on some points. They almost never expect a rook to be off site. A good one is on clubhouse, if the objective is in the bar: there's an exterior window near the pool table. If you go above to the fitness room, you can break the hatch or floor above the pool table and hold the ground floor window. This works miracles as rook or smoke. The fitness gear in that room also protects you against random sprays in case the attackers want to shoot out the window of the fitness room itself.

Likewise, on Bartlett there is an objective at the base of one of the "tower" areas or however they're called in English. you can do the same and hold those from above, with the caveat that you don't have any real equipment to hide behind in case the attackers come knocking on your own window.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at Jan 11, 2018 around 21:12

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

So is there any way to know which heights are fatal and which aren't? Sprinting out of a window on the slope of Kanal is A-ok but as soon as I drop from the skylight first floor on bartlett with the hostage the ground is lava and I die. Does it depends on the map or armor of your operator?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

I'm a big fan of downing an enemy and holding the angle until a buddy comes to help them up and I kill him, too. I know it's a war crime but that's the jäger life.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

I put dialogue volume at 100 so I can hear IF IT RUNS ON BATTERIES, I'LL SEE IT from across the map in that angelic voice. Hearing footsteps is just a bonus.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

It depends on distance, I think. So e.g. if you are right next to Sledge when he breaks a window, you'll hear him whisper, but a teammate on the opposite end of the map will hear him shout.

For some reason IQ switches from whispering to shouting really quickly so taking a step away from her mid-sentence gives you this jarring, sudden shriek

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

I'm like 99% sure they patched out opfor hearing your reloads, gadget deployments etc because it was random and it made ESL sometimes depend on luck for that last clutch. Imagine being on overtime on defense in a 1v1 and you're forced to reload. 50% chance your dumb rear end screams "I'M DRY!!!!!" across the whole basement.

I AM BRAWW posted:

what's the current hack/walls/aimbot for siege? where can i purchase it/what do you guys recommend

Pulse is in a good spot right now.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at Jan 21, 2018 around 09:48

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

patch notes, February 2022:

- We have listened to player feedback and reduced the price of Y1 DLC operators by about 2500 renown each.
- We have nerfed the New-Zealand attack operator by reducing the amount of homing bullets from 7 to 5. If this is not enough to lower his 99,9% pickrate we will consider alternatives, but we wanted to keep the essence of his kit where he should be able to take on five defenders at once better than other operators

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Practice on quick reaction times and don't dick around with the sensitivity too much. It's very much a "don't think; feel!" deal and in a superior game there would be a way to practice on moving targets, but alas. The best thing I can think of is running in thunt just sprinting around and practice flicking on their heads as fast as you can on pure reflexes. Just do that until you can reliably headshot them as soon as you sprint into a room. Just do the same map over and over again and try to speedrun it.

EDIT: my aim probably started improving when I grinded out renown back in the velvet shell days and just did house hostage thunt lone wolf for 3 hours a day and got bored so I tried to beat my own time with every run

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at Jan 23, 2018 around 10:11

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Colonel J posted:

I don't have a solution for the hostage thing. I don't know, it just doesn't make sense to me.

"Attackers killed the hostage, mission successful, let's all go home! " *high fives all around*

in Thunt you always lose regardless of who kills the hostage, because that's a "real" mission. Multiplayer pvp is rainbow six training together and they need to learn proper trigger discipline regardless of whether they're defending or extracting a hostage.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Perestroika posted:

The gun used by the woman with the rad haircut on the left appears to be a F2000, so that's presumably the french operator. Which might also mean she's an attacker, since she's got a full-sized assault rifle and all.

Why would she presumably be the French operator? The leaked image above has the smg dude with a French flag. The f2000 is a Belgian gimmick so of course I am obliged to main her now.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AefscENyUJw

I'm slowly morphing into a Doc main at this rate.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

OTOH near the late-game when everybody is a bit dinged up, the revolver's high damage per shot means you can often one-tap them in the chest during the final push. So it's worse for headshotting full health people but better to finish off wounded people, in my experience.

Still suck as Monty though.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Krogort posted:

Valkyrie ?

Valkyrie doesn't have a hijab, she has a keffiyeh

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

I'm a big fan of 1:59 shot where you tactically deny the human shield to opfor by shooting it btw

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Danknificent posted:

Real talk does Ash's gadget have any utility?

In addition to the above she can also use it to blow ceilings and hatches above you like buck can, so you can shoot into the objective from below. And of course if you're above the objective you cna use it in addition to your 3 breach charges to open up the floor even harder if necessary.

Some pro teams use ash as an improvised thatcher because depending on the objective she can go above garage doors, open a perfect hole and shoot bandit's batteries from above.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Thief posted:

e: if i was ubi i would give zofia's launcher to ash with only the HE grenades as a kapkan style rework then actually brainstorm a way to make zofia more interesting even if that means focusing on her unsticky grzmot

I think Zofia doesn't need her 2 HE rounds. Give her exactly one which she can use to pop a hole in the unreinforced section between a high wall and the ceiling, and let her fire her concussion rounds in there into objective. Maybe toy with that hook for her (indirect bombardment with concussives) and see if we can make her HE round more interesting that way. A tiny hole into reinforced walls with a HEAT shot, like hibana's charges but just for a tiny murderhole? Something to that effect.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

The Bananana posted:

Ok, what do I do as a shield guy, now that my shield has been knocked away by an op4 melee?

What's the best counter there?

Turn to the right and hug a wall so your shield keeps facing them and they can't quickly go around you. The window for murdering you is like 2 seconds and part of that they still have the animation of the knife attack and possibly aiming down sights, so you have a reasonable chance of only taking a bit of damage from stray bullets rather than getting executed like a dog. Then prepare to melee them back or back off depending on the risk of another defender covering them.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

IronDoge posted:

Knowing Ubi, next season's defenders are both going to be trap operators.

Dunno, these two attackers seem to be strong anti-spawnpeeking ops. I think they'll try something different with the defenders too to keep switching up the meta.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Whitenoise Poster posted:

64 player Instant respawn give it to me now Ubi.

Start as recruit, killstreaks let you unlock new ops for the match

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

SpazmasterX posted:

Nonplussed.

This actually means "stunned". Means you don't know any more (non plus sapere) what to say. But because Americans have a flair for the dramatic it's like peruse/literally and it now means the opposite thing as well.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

The Kingfish posted:

Yeah the individual rooms are easy to call out, but I was thinking more like one word callout a for places in each room. Some rooms it's not necessary but others are pretty complex. I guess you can just add a East/west direction to the callout and thats good enough 95% of the time.

There's a few like "trashcan" on chalet's garage (popular cover under the stairs for attackers pushing inside the objective) and white van on consulate's garage. Other than that I can only think of the "bed" call-outs in bedrooms on some maps.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Minrad posted:

it's pretty amusing to watch pro streamers play against a hacker every once in a while. incredible that people can manage to out play and triumph against people using teleporting grenades/c4 and 100% accurate headshot pistols on shield ops.

Ironically Tachanka is probably the best anti-hacker operator because your faceshield gives you a few precious seconds to dome them.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

You can fix Lion by forcing him to go on his phone when he scans (giving him a top down view of the map from his flying drone's POV), and maybe by making it so he's the only guy who actually sees the outlines and has to do sicknasty call-outs to his friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Don't troll me like that

«3 »