Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Polka_Rapper posted:

Completely true. I've found that the chart generally is pretty accurate but I picked muzzle attachments based on what I liked. It so happened I liked most of the ones on the chart. Other than that, I run silencer on Fuze's LMG, Mute's MP5K, a few handguns, and something else, and compensator on Ash's R4-C and Hibana's Type-89.

Also the process for testing attachments is awful.

Yeah, I like silencers in Siege but I just don't use them that much. I tried one on Frost's gun but the recoil difference compared to extended barrel bothered me. Also it raises the time to kill with bodyshots just a bit too much considering the RPM of her gun. Extended barrel doesn't really do anything (I think it takes one less bodyshot to kill/DBNO at range) but I prefer it.

EDIT: Here's an image showing locations to melee for one-hit vaults.

Frost's gun has recoil? What sight are you using?

Adding to the attachment chat, doubling down on finding what works for you. I had to take the ACOG off of Echo and I've gone from hating his gun to playing roaming Echo for comedy. Fuze's AK is the other one I far prefer with a reflex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Tumble posted:

Do bullets penetrate operators? I can't recall ever shooting two people at once.

Do dead bodies shield from gunfire?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmhxAGAjks8&t=292s

Bodies do, but I don't know by how much, it would be something to test.

edit: rip drone hole trick.

Nebiros fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 2, 2018

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Q8ee posted:

If any of you have played Door Kickers, it'd be a real neat feature for Ubisoft to add a synchronised gadget / breach / whatever mechanic. So teammates put their breaching charges down, and then hover over it and enable it to be synchronised. Then when everyone fires their gadget, the last person to fire sets them all off and you all breach from multiple angles.

"Why add this when you can just talk over Discord?" it's useless for with friends, but in pubby games it'd encourage coordination.

Sidenote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC2uCLkBFec

I tunnel vision so much, I'm not a very creative person. but this Fuze vid by MacieJay is awesome. so many things that I never even thought of doing. Definitely gonna start playing him more now.

And then you die because someone heard the breach charge and hops the window while you're trapped in the trigger animation. Neat idea, wrong game for it. Maybe classic style R6 though.

Been dragging newbies around lately. It's funny hearing them now bitch about pubbies at low tiers boarding doors, Castle and walling in Kid's Room.

Nebiros fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 13, 2018

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Thief posted:

embrace toxicity ftw :350:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCLzfQJYmO0

yeah smoke owns and a good operator to get into because he fairly underplayed outside of high ranked games.

in addition to screening, one thing that i see a lot of smoke players don't take advantage of enough is the fact that smoke is the only person that can run through dank memes with no damage

sometimes the situation will even allow you to use this to tricking the enemy into thinking you are trapped in a corner when you are already rotating or ready to unexpectedly flank their push from a different angle

he pairs well with many operators, including lesion who with enough barbed wire can act as an early warning ping to blanket an area in aoe damage while they try to pull the thing out of their foot while simultaneously burning the clock

As a note, unless it's changed recently, Glaz can see through Smoke's warcrime cans. 3 Speeds can skirt the edges without damage sometimes too, it takes a moment. Or that poo poo lingered weird clientside.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I thought all a silencer did was lower the damage and sound, I didn't know it increased handling. BTW what's the difference between flash hider and compensator? Ingame it says the comp is much better but everyone is using flash hider from what I can tell.

It doesn't, but removes tracers and masks sounds allowing you to compensate for a fuckup.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Jack Trades posted:

This weeks challenge made me play a bunch of Echo and I discovered that he's actually a roamer.
You just sit your rear end under some desk or in a random toilet during prep, do your normal Yokai work around the objective as usual, but when the poo poo hits the fan you're in a perfect position to get in on them from behind with that silenced SMG.
It really made me consider that Echo sitting in some corner inside the objective is a mistake.

On a different note, how the gently caress do you play Ying on a normal team that aren't a hivemind capable of perfectly timing everything?
I couldn't even find any decent way to use Candela to bang'n'breach from the windows properly, it doesn't seem to last that long.

I've been playing Echo as a roamer for a while now, no one expects his fat rear end to walk up behind them while they're droned, it's hilarious. Really wish he was a 2/2 though. As for Mute, I've been leaning towards planting his jammers at key walls and anything else gets thrown in areas to make it harder to find roamers instead.

Nebiros fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 14, 2018

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Q8ee posted:

I love Ying's gadget, it's one of my favourites, but god drat I can't play her. People can still just look away and not get flashed, especially if they're tucked in a corner. So I'll trust in my gadget, only to enter a room full of people who can still see just fine. I've since stopped playing her.

Ying's flashes ignore your facing. They're probably out of range. Roll more than one in on staggered timers.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Thief posted:

way to miss the point. the majority of players in this game aren't getting headshots. shoot them with literally 1 more bullet ftw, big deal

don't worry she still gets breach charges

The gun's rate of fire is low enough that drat near any other gun is going to beat you to that 4th bullet. It's actually kind of a problem with using the drat thing. It also doesn't mesh well with her gadget. Someone should just give her the CS/LR17 or CS/LR14 or something. Or hell, the QBZ-95 Carbine with it's higher RoF.

I've found uses for it. Those uses usually end with me wondering why I didn't take Fuze's instead though.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Okay but only if it's an attacker and he uses a bow to do this and also he becomes invisible when in the shadows.

Well on the one hand, he is a Ubisoft character now. On the other hand this would make it harder to pretend the game never existed.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Q8ee posted:

using this as proof is pretty weak, to be honest. most of those guys you ran into had no idea what to do and died like absolute scrubs. they'd either attack you head on, sit there and take a flash to the face, or spray bullets at you. games I play, if I tried to use your playstyle, I'd get assblasted so hard. they'll either back off and shoot my legs out, or they'll do that really horrible WASD sonic the hedgehog move whilst knifing me to poo poo down my neck.

Unless you've been bullshitting about your jaunts in ELO hell, that's exactly the tiers you can get away with running around doing dumb things with a shield. That said, the juxtaposition of those posts and this one did give me a good laugh.

re: Blitz. Recommended: Barbed wire, Kapkan, Lesion, Frost, Echo, Ela, Smoke, nitro, impacts and map knowledge/good callouts/roamers.

Nebiros fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 20, 2018

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

asterioth posted:

Ok, the new cinematics for outbreak made me like thermite alot more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDhu56qGNqs

Also chanka looking at guns for a potential buff is good.

I'm more amazed that Tachanka has an indoor voice than anything else in those cinematics.

The Bananana posted:

Thoughts on Castle?
Ability and weapons?

Situational at best, funny if you're trying to piss off your own team. Actually kind of decent on Tower though. As noted before, it's a mild nuisance most of the time, but if you don't mind taking risks you can do things like holding most of your barricades until the last minute of the match to bog them down, even better if they're short the breachers. Usually better to go Pulse if you want an FBI guy to burn down a house though.

Also a boon to any enemy Fuze if you don't know where you're putting them and why.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

ZeusCannon posted:

I'd like a teeny tiny Mira panel in the castle barricade. Nothing that can be opened for shots but something that let's you see through to other side.

Deadbolt Reaper new op?

https://i.imgur.com/eHlqr4C_d.jpg

Edit:gently caress it, phone posting is a pain in the rear end

Nebiros fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 23, 2018

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Thief posted:

there's a discord and i think some people still use mumble

the discord seems pretty active with people from all over, even australia so there is usually lurkers on practically all the time. there are all sorts of goons that play, from ones that play very seriously to people that just are super casual and a cool thing about the server is that it all sorts of people actively play together in pickup groups. so sometimes you are in an elite tactical cyber CTU unit and other times you are playing quake deathmatch with the korean railgun

https://discord.gg/HQKZaYN

A lot of us use chugging the stairs. A lot of us in the F13 discord play and you can hit up the Siege discord as well.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

TotalHell posted:

Finally got this game while it was on sale. I have Gold edition so all the standard operators are unlocked, and they give you enough Ubibucks or whatever to unlock one additional operator from Years 1 & 2 from the get-go. So who do I go with first? I have 16 to choose from, I want to make this count.

Unless you're really hard up for a newer operator, I'd save the monopoly money for skins you like or something. 25k renown doesn't take THAT long in the long term and almost all of the season 1 ops are still drat good. Otherwise Hibana or maybe Buck or Valkyrie.

Comedy option: Echo for another ACOG defender. He's immune to Dokk's IRS Scam calls and can screw up the Holy Priest's buffs too now.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Jack Trades posted:

I want an attacker that has a gadget that somehow hard counters spawnpeeks and runouts.
Good news, that's on the next operator being released on attack.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Jack Trades posted:

It won't help me if I'm unable to hit the broad side of a barn. :colbert:

Touche goon sir.

Joking aside, if you know where the objective is, park your drone on the obvious peek/runouts or assume there's always going to be one on some spawn points. Back alley on bank comes to mind immediately.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

SpazmasterX posted:

You can have another shield attacker if i get a defender with an Ash style grenade launcher specifically made to one shot you.

Jack Trades posted:

It's way more common on the US servers apparently.
I don't see it that much on EU servers myself.

I rarely see it even in US Servers. Unless it's Autoswim shooting us because we never learn to not respond to him saying, "Hey, come here."

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

The Bananana posted:

Weird, I don't see the benefit of lion at my level of play. Too brief an effect, and too easy to beat. Course, I'm no mlg, so I guess I'm just missing something.

Jackal and Dokk are fun with him, if you've cleared the Secure Area obj, you can pop it to see where they're trying to approach from. Grabbing a hostage in smoke will let you catch them panicking. I like to use it as someone's trying to rush or if I'm about to peek a window since that'll sometimes catch people and/or make them afraid to get a better peek themselves. There's a few applications for him.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So i think the winning Outbreak Pandemic comp is Doc,Finka and then anybody but preferably Ash since she gets her grenade launcher and Nitro Cell stunningly

Shotgun Smoke, Doc and Tachanka or Ash.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Single use Operator ability that gives them the ability to leap sideways while dual wielding pistols and can tank lots of damage while it's active, but no matter what the operator goes DBNO after using. Teammates can't actually revive the Operator but they can cradle him in their arms while he bleeds out

0/10 No doves on trigger.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

algebra testes posted:

How do you Castle? I saw some pro league play where they castle up all but one entrance and try and funnel them in. Something like that?

It depends on the map, game mode and objective in how you want to use him. In Tower, I like to castle those annoying windows, or doors that allow them quick access forcing them to waste either gadgets or time and making a ton of noise either way. If you get the south office spawn, you can hit the room to the west with an impact, castle the windows and hang out on the desk to watch people trying to approach from the reception areas. Barricade the reception desk to your left and you force them into some ugly spots too.

Other than that, just talk to your team/roamers before you set up barricades so they know they're there so it doesn't get too awkward later/they save an impact if they have to hurry.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

VoLaTiLe posted:

Mastro looks awesome as fook, but I hope it ain't an auto turret.

I suck enough as it is against actual people I can't even imagine how bad it would be with Torbjorn turrets everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqksc8F-kEo

RBX posted:

I'm getting into this again, I see all the free operators I can use now. Should I just learn those until I get some hours under my belt or should I also get the year 1 and 2 people?

It was said already, but I'll double up on it, learn the base operators. Avoid shield guys since they'll teach you bad habits. A good chunk of the later operators are best used with some map knowledge.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Jack Trades posted:

Just like CBRN?

I hate to use a Youtuber as a point of reference, but Coreross's data mining buddy thinks he found an LMG for Maestro and I agree with the theory that the Brit/American pair are going to be the dual defenders.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Soggy Chips posted:

Could you explain what happened there? I don't usually play pulse but is this just pressing the wrong gadget button?

Yes, that's hitting the detonator instead of picking it up.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Jack Trades posted:

Jackal's ability is already a double-edged sword, you can just as easily use the fact that you're being tracked to lure Jackal into a trap.
Jackal's gadget is already way worse than Dokkaebi's, it really doesn't need an effortless hard counter on top of that, IMO.

Just want to immortalize this too. Dude, Jackal being able to say, "Hey there was doods here" without pinging them, with one of the better assault rifles in the game doesn't exactly make him bad. The fact that you can then make people do dumb things just by holding F on them adds to it. Also Mute.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Brinner posted:

its not exactly difficult. nearly every 'pub' team in plat and above can do it. The point is he takes action away from the player and its just not a fun mechanic.

Except a lot that aren't premade or unicorn in the wild levels of rare randoms that prematch commo aren't going to be able to fully capitalize on it as opposed to the idiot random going Ash or something. That's the point being made in thread. I think he just needs to deploy poo poo and ping an area, which was supposedly his original concept.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Thief posted:

i used to play kapkan all day so i know your pain

frost has really cool weapons but i can see why you find them lackluster when looking at the newer ops

a popular thing i see experienced frost players do is put a silencer on their smg. silencers in general are extremely effective in casual where players are less likely to communicate enemy positions but there are certain operators whose high level mains seem to run them more often than not.

At most ranges her gun stays a 3 shot kill. Just ignore the extended barrel.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Captainicus posted:

I always thought the same thing about shields with traps behind them and such. I usually go for more off-the-wall placements, and try to avoid doorways and window ledges, but window ledges can be very good if you can't rappel above them so you need a grenade to get the trap out.

Also placing a trap directly under a hatch works about 80% of the time. I am surprised every time but people keep falling for it. My other, more recent, favourite trick is to put traps underneath chest height impact grenade holes. The enemy team rarely gets to jump through them, but even more rarely do they check it for traps!

I place them on black parts of the map or where there's poo poo on the floor already. The shower room on Kanal, the black spots on the carpet on Chalet etc.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Thief posted:

mira is always a good pick imo. even if your team isn't coordinating reinforcements properly or some tryhard thinks they can backseat drive you, you can always just roam with her - which is both fun and also burns many seconds off the clock when attackers stumble into a strange setup that they're not used to encountering.

House is about the only place I just can't figure out a fun place to use her mirrors short of on the stairwells. Dual shotguns on that map are fun though.

Edit: The office maybe, people forget that poo poo's over there a lot.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Koramei posted:

I know it's cool advice to have people just chill out and have fun but genuinely, don't pick Castle, you will more than likely gently caress over your team and make things actively less fun for everyone. The same goes for Mira to an extent, although once you've ground out enough renown for her you'll probably know enough to not screw things too much.

Alternatively teach them how to barricade/Castle and watch as other newbies struggle with shooting feeties.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

afkmacro posted:

The caption was Free weekenders but those skins say otherwise

Didn't even realize their was a caption. I'd have imagined it as, "And this is the team that got me banned for team kills."

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Thief posted:

a breach pistol :unsmigghh:

the other one is cool too - was it intentionally designed to look kinda like the blade runner gun?

It's a real pistol. It's the Unica 6 in Battlefield 4 too if you played that. The barrel's lower than you think it is and uses a fiddly as hell firing pin. The design's to lower the felt recoil.

Alibi looked like she was going to be more fun if the holos mimicked your stance/pose, but I can still probably get some mileage out of the holo thanks to snap firing. Maestro's drat fun looking, but I think I'd still prefer Valk's cams just because of the weird angles you can stuff them. If you're really that worried about Dokk, just tell your team where they are so they can be shot. You're nuts if you think Dokk makes Valk a bad pick. Ever.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Dokk doesn't make Valk a bad pick. Valk is just a bad pick, period, unless you're rolling with a 5-stack.

Team game relies on teammates to make information operators useful. News at 11.

If your pubbies are the helpful kind of talkative (Not that rare) she's not going to be a bad pick. Try talking to people out of Discord. Alternatively, if you're playing with roamers or some objectives/maps, go Valk, if you're holding a smaller area, go Lesion (Or Maestro or anyone with a Bulletproof Cam now)

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Guillermus posted:

Thanks, any more "serious and informative" one? Or a streamer so I can soak more information and tactics (aside from the helpful goons who are helping this newbie quite a lot).

Aside from the ones already listed, Coreross does mythbusters that are good and Rogue 9 is a numbers nerd on drat near anything you can think of.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Major Isoor posted:

So, has anyone gone against opponents who use the (generic, non-Maestro) bullet-proof camera, yet? Since I've played quite a lot since the update released, however the only people who have used the camera (thus far) have been my own teammates.

Can Thatcher's EMP destroy them entirely, or does it just temporarily disable them, like with the prisma and evil eye? (Which is stupid, I feel; his EMP should be able to fry them, like with everything else) Also curious about whether Sledge's hammer can smash them as well, I suppose.
Also, in the description it says it's protected from the front by plate glass, which you can clearly see - so I assume you can shoot it from the other side of unreinforced walls, to destroy it? (And what about from the side/edges? Since IIRC there's a narrow gap that appears to be exposed, behind where the plate glass is bolted on. If you go up to the camera, can you shoot the very edge behind the glass and destroy it that way, or?)

Coreross had a video on them. Pop the wall, shoot it in the side on the camera bit, hit it with HE or iirc Sledge it. Thatcher just temp scrambles them.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Empress Brosephine posted:

As a new player why is there so many team killing? Is it people trying to rank down to get easy wins?

Get in the Discord or Chugging the Stairs and go for a free carry to the sweaty side of the game. We'll teach you slightly less bad habits than the average newbie pubbies will.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Hat Thoughts posted:

dokkaebi is so useful now w/ the 600 different cameras defenders have

I'm sad that a living Dokk can't hijack Evil Eye cams. Would be some funny poo poo. Utterly busted, but hilarious.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

El Jebus posted:

Can anyone tell me what sort of a kill I got here? It was presumably from the kapkan trap. You can see the notice that I got someone, but the little ghost symbol is new to me.

It looks like the momento mori charm from a while back.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Captainicus posted:

I'm going to use the default skin without sights as Alibi forever because with every death from trying it, I don't feel discouraged. Anticipation and tension as I stand in place like an idiot is half the fun. I can't imagine it is a particularly good plan for winrate though, it'd be pretty unreliable. I wouldn't hold it against anyone for trying it either way, even if I do poke fun at friends for using skins.

Except glaz ruins it forever even if he is out of drones :mad:

No one I've tricked with it bothered to notice the reflex on my gun.

queef anxiety posted:

Ranked is full of hackers and casual is a toxic pit of high plat/diamond sweat and silver incompetence. Pls fix ubi I want my modes split up again ty

Play with goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Drone tossed into a C4 charge, caused the charge to bounce off.

Not my clip though, had to go back a couple weeks and see if it hadn't been posted yet as its been on the discord for a while.

A day or two ago I chucked a Smoke canister and a drone jumping up caused it to bounce up to the ceiling. Had me laughing for a bit.