Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Comparing beautiful gay Satan to some ugly rear end Nazi child is fuckin shameful

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I want to see the full mural there, looks like he's next to Homer

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Shoehead posted:

Comparing beautiful gay Satan to some ugly rear end Nazi child is fuckin shameful

edit: oh wait, this is the don hertzfeldt version

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
The last thing to go through Akira's mind.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Had this pop in my recommendations for Netflix and binge watched it all over 2 days. My take aways are that Anime is “Satan” and “God” loves to troll “Satan” extremely hard. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride and would like similar recommendations.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
If you want another really wild ride from Masaki Yuasa I'd suggest Mind Game, which clocks in at around an hour. If you want more sex and violence from Masaki Yuasa watch Kemonozume. (Kaiba is also a possibility but much less similar to Crybaby. The original Devilman manga is fantastic, quite a bit different than Crybaby and only five volumes long. Apart from that I'd need to know what specifically you liked in Crybaby that you want to see more of, since it kinda runs the gamut from goofy sex and gore show at the beginning to serious downer at the end.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Kemonozume was interesting, but I don't know how I feel about the last... third of it, or so. I think that the main villain was incredibly lame, and I hated every scene with him.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/frostychama/status/977765170012413953

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though

neonbregna posted:

Had this pop in my recommendations for Netflix and binge watched it all over 2 days. My take aways are that Anime is “Satan” and “God” loves to troll “Satan” extremely hard. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride and would like similar recommendations.

I'm in the same boat. Would also like recommendations not just from Masaki but hosed anime in general.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the first few to come to mind are: Now and Then, Here and There; Rainbow; Shinsekai Yori; The Fake

assuming you're already familiar with more classic picks like NGE, Berserk, and Paranoia Agent. the 2003 Kino's Journey adaptation also has some darker episodes.

e: Yuasa doesn't really do stuff like Devilman on the regular, but pretty much everything he's done is absolutely worth checking out aside from maybe Kemonozume.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Kemonozume is the most D man like of his out put so people looking for more should absolutely check it out

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

dogsicle posted:

the first few to come to mind are: Now and Then, Here and There

I've seen this through multiple times and some of the early episodes are still kind of hard to watch :smith:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I think Texnolyze merges the iyltraviolence violence stuff with the deep thoughts stuff but I quit it really quick because it was incredibly boring

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Texhnolyze owns a lot IMO. Its a god drat crime it never got a good blu-ray release.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
My friends and I are all obsessed with how good this is. I've been a huge fan of Masaaki Yuasa's work for years (Mind Game is one of my favorite movies ever) and despite how chilling episode 9 is (the kid eats his own mom in front of his crying dad for gently caress's sake), I've watched the whole series at least four times now because it's that loving good.

I'm curious if they're ever going to bring his other demon slaying series Kemonozume to North American region players. I recently bought Kaiba on Blu-Ray and it's great, and I know Mind Game is coming here very soon. (finally!)

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/junfudos/status/987136627469271040

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Devilman Classic Collection is a really high quality book and I'm glad I bought it but I was super confused about the chapter selection until I found out Shin Devilman has apparently been included as part of most publications of regular Devilman for a while now. I gotta say I'm not a huge fan of that choice because it doesn't fit in elegantly at all, and that's not even going into its plot of stuff like "Hitler hated the jews because time traveling demons I guess"

Still worth it for huge color spreads of angel dick

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Nina posted:

Still worth it for huge color spreads of angel dick

Guess I gotta buy Devilman Classic Collection

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I just got mine, it's huge! Beautiful too. About half way through, it's been fantastic to finally read Devilman. And those color pictures are incredible

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
This show is made of love. I don't feel that it ever truly condemns humanity at all, that it only shows what would happen under the worst possible conditions. The fact that someone was able to face this kind of reality head on and then not have it end in a flurry of genuine misanthropic despair is incredible to me. Miki and Miko die after doing everything they possibly could for the good of the people they love, same with Akira. If this story was written by someone who genuinely hated humanity, who wanted to see it suffer, their viewpoints wouldn't be even remotely compelling or worthy. They'd be presented as idiots who wanted to die for inane beliefs, italics firmly intended, and they'd die without dignity.

Instead, they die standing for everything they believe in. Miki continues to run as long as she can, even when her legs are clipped by a bullet and her friends are all dead, in the name of hope and doing the absolute best she can even in the face of absolute hell. This is beautiful in a way that I can't even explain, because while I've faced a hint of the darkness this show describes, I've never been able to portray it as anything more than offensively dull and bleak. The fact that someone can write a story like this that is exactly as bleak, as unforgiving, as painful as some of the experiences I've had without giving up on human goodness is a sign that I can still improve, that I can still find more hope and become stronger despite that pain.

I'm being very dramatic, but to be fair I expected this to be another AICO. It was a bit blindsiding. I hope that one day I become someone who can write stories like this, because I know drat well I'll never be able to make soundtracks like this, holy poo poo. I love this loving show

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'd read Devilman, Devilman Lady and Violence Jack before, only just got around to watching this now.

What a trip.

I don't like how Ryo was characterized and the pacing towards the end was kind of weird, but it was a pretty big upgrade in every other way. Wam's gang was a great example of a greek chorus, Miki and Akira's characters were way more sympathetic, and Miko was a nice addition.

The music was fantastic, though I wasn't super on board with the OP song, the rest of the OP was perfect.

I love how weird and bizarre the animation got at times, like the memetic running. It was perfect for what it sets out to be.

I wonder if they're going to do Devilman Crylady next, what with the two moons at the end.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Had never heard of the series before this, hopped in only knowing the vague contours of the first episode.

I wasn't ready for all these feels :smith;

Dunno what to say that hasn't been said in 52 pages. Great visuals and soundtrack, had some good laughs and a lot of sad feels. Would rewatch several more times, 8.5/10

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Also I re-read Devilman LAdy, which I first read as an edgy teenager and man, it's... Not as good as I remember. :v:

I think Crybaby was an imperfect improvement on a fascinating and imperfect source material. I'd be really interested in seeing a Devilman Lady anime.

e: The amount of people who are like "wow I love satan" strikes me as odd, considering he is literally responsible for everything that goes wrong in the show.

Miki, her family, Wam and Gabi and Miko are all nice people. Maybe some of them will get a happy ending in Devilman Saga (:lol:).

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 3, 2018

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I dunno, I think loving satan was part of the point

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Lets all love satan

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Thinking about it a bit, I was actually kinda reminded of LISA. They both involve sex, drugs, violence, the worst of humanity on display and people mutating into horrible monsters.

Obviously not 1:1, but I think they share themes on a deeper level too.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Eh. They both have a similar tone, but LISA is like 90% about abusive parents and the cycle of abuse, which isn't really in crybaby at all, so I dunno how much else there is to compare thematically. Both being very dark tragedies that are also quite funny is about where that comparison begins and ends, and even then LISA is way more about the comedy than crybaby.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
To me, one of the themes of LISA was that even if it doesn't work out, people have the potential to be better than they are and that trying is worth it. (With things like how you can have your own arm cut off to save someone's life, rescue someone's beloved pet for no gain, or not taking Joy).

Crybaby has Miki, Akira, etc. trying their best in about as bleak circumstances as there can be. In the end it achieves nothing, but the fact that they tried when there was no 'reason' is still meaningful.

Like I said they weren't 1:1 or anything and the reason for their failures are different, but that particular aspect made me draw a bit of a comparison.

also, man, I can still practically hear the last scenes from episode 9. I've never had an anime stick with me so much. :v:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 7, 2018

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Two things that occured to me:

1, what did Akira THINK Ryo's plan at the track meet was? :psyduck: He seems surprised at Koda turning into a monster and killed everyone!

2, why did Kukun and Miko go to a sabbath? While Akira was pretty much freaked out at everything going on due to not knowing what to expect, Kukun/Miko seemed to basically know what was involved going by how they were casually taking pills and making small talk.

But at that point there had been at least two sabbaths that ended in bloodbaths. Crybaby is pretty good at working social media into the story, did nobody tweet about "huh literally nobody who went to this party came back" or if there were other survivors, take pictures? :psyduck:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I think Sabbath is being headed by Demons to make more Demons, personally, so they just keep anything but the superhot party aspect quiet.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Also like hell that's going to make it less popular. If anything having so many crazy urban legends around it just makes it sound more intense.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Miko wanted to rebel anyways, lots of pent up energy from the whole Miki thing.

Poor kukkun tho, gets some of the best lines in the entire show as his only ones then gets offed right after

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cuntellectual posted:

Two things that occured to me:

1, what did Akira THINK Ryo's plan at the track meet was? :psyduck: He seems surprised at Koda turning into a monster and killed everyone!

2, why did Kukun and Miko go to a sabbath? While Akira was pretty much freaked out at everything going on due to not knowing what to expect, Kukun/Miko seemed to basically know what was involved going by how they were casually taking pills and making small talk.

But at that point there had been at least two sabbaths that ended in bloodbaths. Crybaby is pretty good at working social media into the story, did nobody tweet about "huh literally nobody who went to this party came back" or if there were other survivors, take pictures? :psyduck:

Kukun seemed much less interested. He seemed to take Miko cause she wanted to go. We actually see him refusing a pill.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Kukun seemed much less interested. He seemed to take Miko cause she wanted to go. We actually see him refusing a pill.

And Miko (correctly, as it turned out) thought that she could run faster if she attended.

Finally got around to watching through this. Yep, you all were right. It was good and brutal, even if the last episode was kinda a mess.

I think the ending's interesting, though, in the ways it felt (leaving out the whole time loops multiverse all Devilmans happened stuff) more... optimistic, than the original version of the story. The two main things that come to mind have probably been discussed, but...

1) Akira kept his humanity. Miki's death hurt him, but he still declares that he has a human heart when he confronts Ryo. What he lost was "just" his crybaby tendencies, the absurd level of empathy that let him reach out to the mob in episode 9 and work a small miracle. It can be argued that he was doomed to lose from the start without it, but he hadn't lost yet.

The relay race imagery reinforces the idea. He still picked up the baton from Miki, still ran his part. It was Ryo who refused to take it to the end.

2) God (again, sticking with Crybaby on its own) comes across as less of a douche. He intervenes twice, once taking out the pacific fleet that would allow demons an uncontested victory, and at the end, when Satan is the only living thing left on Earth. In other words, protecting humans from outside destruction, but not from themselves. (As for the prehistoric demons... yeah. From what we see, that wasn't an innocent target.)

Yes, Satan says he's cold, but Satan also denies that demons are capable of love and declares himself void of emotion. He's not exactly a reliable narrator when it comes to people's motives. (Honestly, the last scene of Satan reminds me of a bit in Screwtape, with God's response to Satan wanting to know the real secret of disinterested love.)

Crybaby is a tragedy, but it feels like it believes there could be a better world, even if it might never come. Definitely an interesting show.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Still seeing the end of episode 9 in my mind's eye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/RBKapoor1/status/1028512018892910592

this came across my feed and it got me listening to the soundtrack again

man-human is still OP of the year and I'll honestly rewatch this again before the year is up, which I dunno if I've done before with a show in the same year it came out

• Locked thread