Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The old anime is almost completely different and has a happy ending.

The 60's one, not the OAV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
can i watch this on the big tv with my parents around.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sure

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Surprisingly Dope posted:

How enthusiastic are your parents about hallucinogenic demonic murderfucking?

... how much do you want to find out about their enthusiasm for hallucinogenic demonic murderfucking?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Though weirdly the 60's one is kinda darker at the start because after Amon takes over Akira is literally dead from that point on and it's just Amon in his body trying to figure out how to pretend to be human. Cause the whole thing is so goofy and 60's that has zero weight.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Since I don't think anyone else has let me be the first to say this show's soundtrack owns

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The op is amazing and I loving love Takkyu Ishino.

Stop autoskipping it Netflix you piece of poo poo

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 6, 2018

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Having checked out some old devilman stuff in anticipation of Crybaby(a few of the hilariously dubbed 80's OAVs and the mostly-crappy 2000 flick Apocalypse of Devilman, which is somehow even grimmer than this; ALL of which is on youtube btw), I was surprised how relatively straight of an adaptation it was, give or take some details and a whole lot of modernizing. Surprised to the extent that I'm left unsure what the Crybaby angle adds to things when all is said and done, beyond a lil extra sentimentality. Not all the emotional bits land, often by a longshot, but it's nice it at least tries to have a heart.

Music ruled, op ruled. I see you in those credits Kiyotaka Oshiyama, always good to see ya.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Surprisingly Dope posted:

since you're asking, I assume its for a reason

and the answer is you probably should not

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pootybutt posted:

Having checked out some old devilman stuff in anticipation of Crybaby(a few of the hilariously dubbed 80's OAVs and the mostly-crappy 2000 flick Apocalypse of Devilman, which is somehow even grimmer than this; ALL of which is on youtube btw), I was surprised how relatively straight of an adaptation it was, give or take some details and a whole lot of modernizing. Surprised to the extent that I'm left unsure what the Crybaby angle adds to things when all is said and done, beyond a lil extra sentimentality. Not all the emotional bits land, often by a longshot, but it's nice it at least tries to have a heart.

Music ruled, op ruled. I see you in those credits Kiyotaka Oshiyama, always good to see ya.

‘Crybaby’ makes a lot more sense when you remember that the whole of the Devilman manga (and therefore the whole of this story as well) is a debate over the value of human emotion. It’s portrayed as a beautiful weakness, and we’re asked whether the beauty or the weakness matters more.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its incredibly far from a straight adaption

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Davincie posted:

its incredibly far from a straight adaption

In specific plot beats and aesthetics, maybe. In tone, themes, and general arc, it’s pretty straight.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
This show was the most asinine thing I've seen in a long time. The animation was interesting though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pollyanna posted:

Then whence come evil :colbert:

Evil as it's own force doesn't exist, it's merely the absence of Good

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

:same:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
The CHAD bulge

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Well, this made me want to read the manga, but I've also heard that a lot of it is redrawn inconsistently and without charm? Are there multiple versions floating about or is the English version restricted to one of them? I'd honestly like to read the original version if possible.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the original version is easily available and has zero redrawns. idk about american publications, but its all over the internet and looks like this

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Is there no love for the wholesome rap kids?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

A Dapper Walrus posted:

They were rather more immediately endearing than the delinquent gang from the manga. I liked their session of group therapy through rap early on.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

A Dapper Walrus posted:

Didn't literally two of them at the end betray their friends and even celebrated with their torn friends dismembered corpses? gently caress that half

Still enjoyed the show, not perfect and probably could have used a few more episodes so it didn't feel like we went from a shounen monster of the week anime to suddenly revelations

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Didn't literally two of them at the end betray their friends and even celebrated with their torn friends dismembered corpses? gently caress that half

Still enjoyed the show, not perfect and probably could have used a few more episodes so it didn't feel like we went from a shounen monster of the week anime to suddenly revelations

Two of them backstabbed them. One of them (the quiet beatboxing one.) recognized Kakun's Glasses on Miko's stuff and assumed she killed him, which is what appears to have led to his betrayal. (I assume he was actually just killed by a demon at the Sabbath.)

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Two of them backstabbed them. One of them (the quiet beatboxing one.) recognized Kakun's Glasses on Miko's stuff and assumed she killed him, which is what appears to have led to his betrayal. (I assume he was actually just killed by a demon at the Sabbath.)

I didn't notice that part, that makes it a bit different .

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's me.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

well i finished it. it was a mediocre anime and a terrible adaption of devilman. there's so many unnecessary changes for the worse, ryo and akira's backstory, all the added sport and school stuff, 90% of the sex stuff wasn't in the manga, miko and the reporter were basically totally anime original, the turtle fight was changed vastly for the worse by ryo being there and they removed several cool fights (mind control demon and melting through walls demon).

they also made miki a way weaker character. original miki stabbed punks and threw molotovs, was way tougher and flirtier. there's also a lot of parts that are just better executed in the old ovas, the car ride, the demon time flashback, the silene/water demon/wall demon fight and so on. there's also a lot of events they switched around which made the story flow worse and the worst thing is how much i've seen blaming go nagai/devilman for this and that, while so much of it is yuasa original.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I didn't notice that part, that makes it a bit different .
yeah i was wondering why they were lingering on them in two scenes. i didn't remember that part of his character, just that he looked just like the track and field demon guy

maybe if they actually showed him dying it would have made it more recognizable to the audience (it was implied she killed him with the hand in the alley). it's pretty bad how many connecting scenes are cut from the show in interest of time. i think it could have been 13 episodes without feeling stretched out and would not have had so many moments of "wait what happened?" or "we're here all of a sudden?"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I agree this could have used an extra 2 or 3 episodes.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I give it a strong 6, weak 7. I think it suffered from constrained run time since you could go make a sandwich and the show went from an anime sport festival to mad max apocalypse poo poo.

Visuals were fun, I cried a bit at Miki's death, and laughed a lot during the middle section. If you told me this show would turn into God raining heavenly fire on the earth while a hermaphrodite Satan talked to a corpse of their love I would have said you're crazy.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

puberty sure is hosed up

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the pacing/run time wouldn't be much of an issue if they didn't add so much stuff

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Was not expecting Mitty from Made in Abyss to end up eating her mom.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I'm really unsure what i think of crybaby, it was kind of uneven

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Jackard posted:

Was not expecting Mitty from Made in Abyss to end up eating her mom.

Glad I'm not the only one to get reminded of that. gently caress that scene was depressing, especially watching gaijin Catholic dad get shot execution style.

This show was all over the loving place, I really wish Netflix gave it a few more episodes, although who knows maybe that's all they wanted to fill the story.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Frankly, I thought this was a great watch. If I had to give a rating to Devilman Crybaby, it would be about 8/10. Admittedly, the pacing might have benefitted from an extra episode or two to make the flow feel natural. I think that much is hard to deny. Why did they end up with just ten episodes though? That's such a strange number for an anime production.

Like Darth Walrus mentioned, I would argue this adaptation was all about being true to the core underlying themes of Devilman. Obviously, I mean the themes as interpreted by Masaaki Yuasa himself since this anime reflects his personal style and vision quite strongly, including his own ideas about psychosexuality and the relationship between humans and demons as viewed through a surrealist perspective. His goal wasn't to provide an extremely literal animated version of every single panel from the manga.

In short, we did get to see the original ending of Devilman and the same general framework with some of the same key events but with lots of individual modifications to the narrative along the way.

Which is fine by me. I don't think you hire someone as creative as Masaaki Yuasa to direct a project without giving him the freedom to convey his feelings and thoughts about Devilman. Said freedom brings the potential for both great and not-so-great decisions that will not be equally appreciated by everyone in the audience, yet that is precisely how a lot of artistic content works in this world.

The specific changes vary in terms of concept and execution quality, yet I would argue most of them worked for me. I had no problems with Ryo's and Akira's backstory here, at least not once they decided to focus on it. I wasn't too convinced by what they tried to do with Jinmen (the turtle) in the fourth episode, but appreciated that they gave Silene and Kaim a little more to do here than in the Devilman manga before their fight. Which I thought was also decently adapted despite not being too long.

I am in special disagreement with Davincie about the added sports content being a bad thing. On the contrary, I had a lot of questions about that approach at the start of the anime, yet by the end it all made sense to me once they had taken the metaphor to its logical outcome and tied it to the story's conclusion.

Furthermore, I think Miki's portrayal was an overall improvement here in terms of giving the girl a greater role and additional relevance to the themes, despite admitting that I do tend to prefer her fiery attitude from the manga. To be clear about this: Miki was more of a comedic relief character in the original manga until the unforgettable final sequence, which I would add was also one of the strongest episodes of the adaptation.

I was indifferent to the reporter. He wasn't necessary, but I think he fit right in. Oh, I also liked this version of Miko.

Mind you, I can understand why someone who just wanted a straightforward adaptation might not feel satisfied with the results. But for me it's entirely possible to appreciate the original manga and this version on their own terms. After all, we get to enjoy more content that way and see different takes on the subject matter. Which Go Nagai seems to be totally fine with, according to the interviews he's given about the project.

wielder fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 7, 2018

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i liked that there is a shinji's hand scene

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

eonwe posted:

i liked that there is a shinji's hand scene

Devilman inspired Evangelion which in turn has influenced Devilman.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
oh it actually inspired eva?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

eonwe posted:

The ending should have been a bit of a clue. Seriously, End of Evangelion takes a lot from the final chapters of the Devilman manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

eonwe posted:

There are several interesting quotes on the subject throughout this interview:

http://devilman.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Painocus/Interview_between_Nagai_and_Hideaki_Anno

• Locked thread