Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
There's also an important distinction in that actual historical Valentinian Christianity (along with most of its close theological relatives, because there's no such thing as "Gnosticism" as a singular religion) doesn't posit the Demiurge as the true good God, just the creator of the material world, sometimes portrayed more as a pathetic creature mired in self-delusion than an evil tyrant. It's also kind of elitist (most people are incapable of true salvation) and still very renunciatory (the world is absolute garbage and no good comes of engaging with it.)

Pop cultural "Gnosticism" is more of a mishmash of Enlightenment and Romantic ideas dancing around in the clothes of Christianity. Setting aside the greater Devilman continuity for a second, note that the condemnation of God in Crybaby is that he's "cold." This is not how a gnostic Christian would describe the demiurge, quite the opposite, this is how they would describe the true "good God" who is unimaginably remote and uninvolved, while in the mean time the Demiurge is a crazed narcissist and rapist.

Similarly Satan's great tragedy is that he doesn't recognize himself as an emotional being, and the thing that makes Akira so special is that he sees this in Ryo even when Ryo himself does not. In some Gnostic mythologies, the serpent is a hero because it encourages humanity to recognize its own divine nature, although again they would probably understand this to mean something very different -- less about emotion and more about recognizing our own capacity for reason, for recognizing moral truth according to an absolute universal order hidden behind the messy illusion of material reality.

This also kind of ties in to the argument going on in this thread right now, because Crybaby is waaay over on the Romantic side of things and trying to understand what its message is by utilitarian calculus of whether humanity did more evil or more good, or complaining that capital-G Good does not triumph and justice reign forever and therefore the series must be completely nihilistic is, at best, using the wrong framework to understand it (the former view being too Enlightenment to get the point, the latter too Christian.)

(To clarify, believing in one of those other frameworks is a perfectly valid reason not to like the show, but they're a bad way to get what it's saying on its own terms.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

DisDisDis posted:

from last page

Just a little reminder that Devilman Lady may very well tell a completely different story with a different message from the original Devilman. Just because one story is explicitly about something doesn't mean the other (related) story is about the same thing.

Additionally, this isn't the original Devilman, anyway. It's Devilman as told by Yuasa, who has barely any biblical concerns to begin with, imo.

Darth Walrus posted:

Ah, whoops, missed that. Yep, thought so.

For the record, it's living in hell (plus a marathon gently caress session with Satan's female half) that convinces Akira to team up with Ryo and declare war on God at the end of Lady.

He can just neglect Lucifer's male half? What a copout. :rolleyes:

turtlecrunch posted:

4) Aside from Akira, are all demon-possessed people sinners in a very strict sense (Miko going to the party and being jealous, Taro sneaking on the computer to look at party boobs)? Are there any innocent people that become demons? Akira's dad said he wanted to eat his mom, but I wasn't sure if that was the demon talking or not. I think most people might say Taro was innocent, but I am trying to gauge the in-universe definition of sin.

Most of the demons seem to come from the party or other demon-heavy locations like the jungle, but I think Taro becoming a demon is trying to show that because of how humans reacted, demons are now everywhere. I'm not sure how Akira's dad fits into this though. Were both the parents "sinners" for abandoning their son?

It seems to me like none of the demons were actually sinners because the show doesn't condemn them for their sins. Real sinners, such as the rapist, end up staying human. This is why hunting down the demons is so futile. You can't tell how sinful someone is just because they look weird.

Giving into your sexual desires during the ritual just seemed to awaken the demonic side in some people. For Miko, it is her repressed romantic love for Miki that translates into really horrible toxic relationships with men. This is why she turns into a spider. Black widows kill the male during sex. So, only a lesbian spider can have a healthy relationship. :v:

We don't really have enough context to understand what was going on with Akira's dad, I think.

And More fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 16, 2018

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

3) This isn't really a question so much as a comment. I liked the show a lot, and short animes like this tend to be really tight, but I was confused as to the point of Miko and Koda. Miko never gets beyond "mad at other girl for being better at running, then in the 2nd-to-last episode (but also likes her)". Then she dies. Koda has the whole death of his boyfriend, then he gets a little restless staying at Akira's hideout and says gently caress it, I'll just be a demon to survive? Then he dies. I feel like there was some additional elaboration on these two that was missing. But maybe I am not understanding something. I really liked Miko's snapdragons turning into little skulls when they dried up (something snapdragons actually do).

imo miko and koda mostly show the two possible paths a devilman can take. miko is crazy vain and petty and that's her primary motivation until she realizes that there's someone she loves, while koda lost his love and thus succumbed to base temptation and a desire to just be on the "winning" side.

akira is a devilman who had love in him all along. miko is a devilman who discovered love. koda is a devilman who lost love.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Gnosticism is also anti-semitic; by saying that the God of the Old Testament is evil you're condemning the whole Jewish religion

Marcion thew out the whole Old Testament from his canon because he didn't want Christianity to be "tainted" with Jewish ideas

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

ninjewtsu posted:

imo miko and koda mostly show the two possible paths a devilman can take. miko is crazy vain and petty and that's her primary motivation until she realizes that there's someone she loves, while koda lost his love and thus succumbed to base temptation and a desire to just be on the "winning" side.

akira is a devilman who had love in him all along. miko is a devilman who discovered love. koda is a devilman who lost love.

And the Devilman Cat was a cat that had no food, which is pretty unacceptable.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I just posted it cuz people keep bringing up Gnosticism. I don't think crybaby is at all following lady on that point. (Nor do I think Lady is really Gnostic in the end.)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

by saying that the God of the Old Testament is evil you're condemning the whole Jewish religion

i can't say i agree with this, "god is beyond our comprehension but frequently appears to be kind of a dick and we should absolutely look at some of the weird questionable stuff he does in detail, and ask 'hey, why is it ok for god to do this?'" is pretty foundational to my understanding of judaism. "hey, why is it ok for god to do this?" being a question that is ok to ask implies that "hey, it isn't ok for god to do this" is at least a somewhat valid conclusion to come to (though hopefully you won't)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

in my admittedly amateur experience Jewish theology is a lot better at processing the possibility that God is kind of a jerk than Christianity is

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Old Testament G-Dawg seems like an rear end in a top hat to me, tbh. Does that makes me anti-semitic?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Is Devilman Crybaby Catholic or Protestant

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

DisDisDis posted:

Is Devilman Crybaby Catholic or Protestant

neither, but it dumps on Catholicism a lot harder

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Old Testament G-Dawg seems like an rear end in a top hat to me, tbh. Does that makes me anti-semitic?

when i was in middle school/high school that was my take on god and i consider myself at least vaguely jewish so i'd say probably not

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

turtlecrunch posted:

Hi I watched this yesterday since it looked like it was 2d and not one of those lovely cgi Netflix animes. I wasn't really...prepared.

I have some questions...

1) What is the significance of the earring one of the rap guys gives to Miki and says it will protect her, then it doesn't protect her or Akira? Satan kind of gasped at it but I wasn't sure if that meant anything. I also wondered if it was supposed to be a parallel to Koda wearing his boyfriend's pendant or Miko carrying Butterfly's glasses, but I couldn't figure out what it meant in that context.

2) Did Miko eat Butterfly or did he die at the party? Was it his body or the rapist's she was keeping at her apartment?

e: 6) What was the deal with that not-Butterfly guy in the clothing shop that tried to get the rappers arrested?

1. Wam's charm was just that, a charm.

2. Kukun died at the party. The body at her apartment was her grandmother who had passed away for reasons unknown.

6. He was just an rear end in a top hat.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

And More posted:

Giving into your sexual desires during the ritual just seemed to awaken the demonic side in some people. For Miko, it is her repressed romantic love for Miki that translates into really horrible toxic relationships with men. This is why she turns into a spider. Black widows kill the male during sex. So, only a lesbian spider can have a healthy relationship. :v:

lol! Beautiful.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I just recently finished watching Debiruman.

My new life career goal is to be an anti-psychic shield rocketboot spearman.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

2. Kukun died at the party. The body at her apartment was her grandmother who had passed away for reasons unknown.

But his hand was sitting outside her apartment wasn't it? I think they left it ambiguous as to what actually killed him on purpose. It could have been other demons at the party or it could have been Miko. I think the fact that it was outside their apartments hints more that she killed him.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
one of the things i liked is that the demons weren't really that powerful and the devilmen weren't humanity's only hope of being able to fight them

like, for sure, they're very strong and can kill a person very fast, but they were pretty vulnerable, and would quickly go down against people who had guns and were prepared to face them

even in that last big battle where the demons overrun the last fortress of the human race, one of their most powerful still got owned by three dudes with rocket spears

i guess most of the damage that lead to humanity going extinct was self-inflicted, since everyone was nuking each other and bombing their own cities and poo poo

Solice Kirsk posted:

But his hand was sitting outside her apartment wasn't it? I think they left it ambiguous as to what actually killed him on purpose. It could have been other demons at the party or it could have been Miko. I think the fact that it was outside their apartments hints more that she killed him.

i think his hand was shown in a flashback, it'd be decomposed if it was just lying on the floor of her apartment all this time. my guess is that poor butterfuly man was torn apart by that demon that appeared at the end of episode 4, before miko transformed herself and fought her way out just like Akira

RottenK fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 17, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I haven’t watched this show, is it good y/n

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
y

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

No, but it's entertaining at times.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah, its good.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

very y

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
The manga is better.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Solice Kirsk posted:

The hand was in the party area if you take a look.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

y

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Yes, for the most part. It's messy as gently caress, needs editing and could tell its story better, but overall, more good than there is bad and has a fantastic soundtrack.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

MonsterEnvy posted:

The hand was in the party area if you take a look.

Wink wink nudge nudge, say no more. :haw:

Kokoro Wish posted:

Yes, for the most part. It's messy as gently caress, needs editing and could tell its story better, but overall, more good than there is bad and has a fantastic soundtrack.

On a scale from one to hot gay giant spider sex, I'd give it a ten.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It didn't even have any hot gay spider sex. Don't lie to the guy, this ain't Wicked City.

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

Found this show, first experience with devilman and loved it. Should have had 12 episodes so we could enjoy hot gay spider sex. Rewatching it with a cousin that I convinced to check out. Everything feels like a stab in the heart watching these dumb teens before poo poo hits the fan.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I'd give it ten hot gay giant spider sexes out of five fangorious vaginas

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I just wanted Kaim to get laid before he died tho :(

He was the best Pokemon in this series

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Willsun posted:

I just wanted Kaim to get laid before he died tho :(

He was the best Pokemon in this series

he kinda did? if you consider merging a kinky sex move, which i obviously do

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
So I shouldn't have, but I'm bored and sick. I went and read the rest of Devilman Lady. It's so fuckin' weird, it's entirely frontloaded with gross poo poo, like you wont get through a single chapter without someone getting molested somehow, and then the entire back half of the series is just full of really imaginative, weird stuff moving the plot forwards and then it...just ends??!

There's a heap of stuff that get's touched on and then never brought up again, like cyborg devilmen or Sirene and Devilman Noir possibly being spliced together, or why there was a future tech city in prehistoric times, or why the guy from Demon Lord Dante shows up, has a huge, volumes long arc were he goes to hell, merges with the Demon Lord and then does NOTHING after he escapes. There's a short episode about people taking drugs to become Devilbeasts (which gives us mutated biker devils duking it out) and they IMMEDIATELY catch and kill the person behind it. Another arc about a snake guy ends with him getting away, but he dies anyway? And another has a guy turn into a devilman who is last seen eating scraps of food in a bin after escaping from Jun and never comes up ever again.

And...poo poo, look just don't read Devilman Lady. Of the 20+ times someone has sex in this manga, it's consensual like...twice. It has some weird ideas about gender, some terrible ideas on how to tackle\present child abuse (:staredog:) Jun never settles on being either a massive idiot with a heart of gold or a tough, competent devil hunter who lives only to fight.
Also for someone who seems to like human breasts so much, Go Nagai sure doesn't know how to draw them, holy moly.

Blegh, I'm kind of ranting, but now I'm on the other end of Devilman Lady I'm seeing all the ways it could be a much tighter and incredibly interesting story, with a bit (a lot?) of editing.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

Happy trails for the freakin win

stop dis

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 21, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i'm probably never going to read Devilman Lady but I would frame this on my wall

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
It needs like 20x more panels like that but I'm in the read Devilman Lady and form your own opinion camp

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Before I go away if you like problematic gays and ultraviolence read Yuureitou

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

if you like problematic gays and ultraviolence read Yuureitou

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
In a fit of madness, I read Devilman Lady really quickly and my final verdict is that it was kind of like a fever dream, it needed to trim down the talky dialogue, and it was mostly me going, "Well, that happened."

I really liked the line work, but it felt like the story was stretching itself really thinly and depended on the hosed up stuff to keep itself going and character motivations felt really muddled and it basically lost me when the characters went on for pages about mythology and theology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Sorry I only like wholesome gays and ultraviolence

• Locked thread