Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Caught up with this week's episode; the proposal was super sweet; I'm glad all the other teams on the mat were sharing the moment (woulda sucked if one of them had had a bad leg and been bitter or something)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedelm
Apr 21, 2013

It's called Ursa Major, not Ursula Merger. And that's not even it. That's Orion.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Sad to see Team NBA not make it through, they were enjoyable to watch even if they weren't too good at most of the challenges.

I was rooting for them but also relieved when they lost, I was seriously worried for Cedric's health.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

IcePhoenix posted:

Also am I blind or did Evan not have her nose ring in before this episode? Because I saw it and was like "wait what?"

The third world country dentist hosed up and she just went with it.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The third world country dentist hosed up and she just went with it.

https://westbullseye.com/1455/viewpoints/italian-health-system-vs-american-health-system/

Sure is a third world country.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

They were in France but your point stands

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Riptor posted:

They were in France but your point stands

Oh my!! Oh well I guess it still does indeed.
I am treading on a dangerous line for mixing up Italy and France these days.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I was wondering to myself earlier today how they were going to actually get through the entire season before the next season of Survivor started.

Found out browsing reddit that after tonight, every episode for the rest of the season is a double episode, and starts at 9/8 instead of 8/7

fuuuuuuuuck

Fedelm
Apr 21, 2013

It's called Ursa Major, not Ursula Merger. And that's not even it. That's Orion.

IcePhoenix posted:

Also am I blind or did Evan not have her nose ring in before this episode? Because I saw it and was like "wait what?"

Either we didn't notice it or she just didn't put the jewelry back in until after the boat accident, but it had been pierced well before then. In case anyone was really wondering.

A 2016 pic in her Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BOgAa1DhIPu/

The "great dental work + free piercing = excellent healthcare system" makes a better story though.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

IcePhoenix posted:

I was wondering to myself earlier today how they were going to actually get through the entire season before the next season of Survivor started.

Found out browsing reddit that after tonight, every episode for the rest of the season is a double episode, and starts at 9/8 instead of 8/7

fuuuuuuuuck

They are filling February with cheap shows instead of trying to compete with the Olympics.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Not a regular viewer of this show but ended up watching it tonight. the eliminated team looked very strong, tough break getting late to the uturn

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Has any team survived being U-turned singularly?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I have great respect for the Big Brother team lady screwing over the other teams.

This is a race for a million loving dollars, I would take every possible opportunity to gently caress over other teams whenever I could. Yes it could potentially backfire by maybe getting other teams to turn on you later but most teams are such pussies about the U-turn so I'd take my chances.

"We choose not to U-turn anyone" = "I'm not really playing to win" to me

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

She made a mistake going halfway with those other two teams at the Kafka thing though. Either be straight up with them or leave them hanging. Instead she told them the answer on her way out, probably setting them back like five minutes, and ended up losing to them both. But also they'd already u-turned another team so they probably should've saved their next backstabbing for a later leg

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fast Luck posted:

She made a mistake going halfway with those other two teams at the Kafka thing though. Either be straight up with them or leave them hanging. Instead she told them the answer on her way out, probably setting them back like five minutes, and ended up losing to them both. But also they'd already u-turned another team so they probably should've saved their next backstabbing for a later leg

Agreed, she should have gone full ruthless. Just get the clue and leave without telling them poo poo.

You need to build in time for a potential cab fuckup, and you do that by loving over the other teams! It's a RACE, goddammit, as long as you don't break any rules, you do whatever you have to do to win.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

WampaLord posted:

I have great respect for the Big Brother team lady screwing over the other teams.

This is a race for a million loving dollars, I would take every possible opportunity to gently caress over other teams whenever I could. Yes it could potentially backfire by maybe getting other teams to turn on you later but most teams are such pussies about the U-turn so I'd take my chances.

"We choose not to U-turn anyone" = "I'm not really playing to win" to me

You only get one U-turn for the entire race. If you're ahead of several other teams you may as well save it for when you're in a situation exactly like Big Brother was in when you know there will be U-Turns in future legs as well, unless there's a team you REALLY want to get out.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

You only get one U-turn for the entire race.

Oh.

Well that changes everything, but my point about taking every edge you can still remains.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

WampaLord posted:

Well that changes everything, but my point about taking every edge you can still remains.

I agree there. It does help to be on good terms with the other teams if you end up needing someone's help for something, or because they may just drop you a hint if they see you doing something wrong, but ultimately I have no problem with what BB are doing. If you're confident that you won't need any help from other teams then there's no reason to help them, really. But if it bites you in the rear end I better not hear any whining about it :colbert:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

I agree there. It does help to be on good terms with the other teams if you end up needing someone's help for something, or because they may just drop you a hint if they see you doing something wrong, but ultimately I have no problem with what BB are doing. If you're confident that you won't need any help from other teams then there's no reason to help them, really. But if it bites you in the rear end I better not hear any whining about it :colbert:

The truly skilled can get away with it and remain friendly enough with the other teams to still get help.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

IcePhoenix posted:

You only get one U-turn for the entire race. If you're ahead of several other teams you may as well save it for when you're in a situation exactly like Big Brother was in when you know there will be U-Turns in future legs as well, unless there's a team you REALLY want to get out.

I thought they have changed that rule and you can U-Turn as much as you want now.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The partner swap is more of a team joiner as they just paired 2 teams together more than splitting up the teams.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thought dump:

Partner swap was underwhelming, and was too obvious that it would be non-elimination. Would have been much better if they had more randomness among the teams instead of pairing off.

Ruthless U-Turns but it's the point in the game where you need to try to take out threats!

Yale and Big Brother are so similar while also being totally different, I love it.

Sad to see the Twins go, but they've been the least interesting team remaining for at least the last couple weeks so not that sad.

I have no idea who I want to win at this point. I feel like I want Big Brother to lose but they're such a good villain so I also don't want them to get eliminated.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Question: Do they usually do a 2 hour finale with only three teams or are we definitely getting a NEL this week, probably in hour one if so?

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

IcePhoenix posted:

Question: Do they usually do a 2 hour finale with only three teams or are we definitely getting a NEL this week, probably in hour one if so?

Not usually but it has happened before. Literally seasons 1 to 9 had 2 hour finale 3 teams.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

IcePhoenix posted:

Well, last week was 2 hours, this week is 2 hours, and next week is 2 hours. There has also only been 1 NEL this far (The half leg partner swap doesn't count as a NEL, as it was literally 1 task) so there is most likely another NEL before the end. CBS didn't feel like running any of their expensive shows against the olympics, so we get Amazing Race and Big Brother.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well, last week was 2 hours, this week is 2 hours, and next week is 2 hours. There has also only been 1 NEL this far (The half leg partner swap doesn't count as a NEL, as it was literally 1 task) so there is most likely another NEL before the end. CBS didn't feel like running any of their expensive shows against the olympics, so we get Amazing Race and Big Brother.

Yeah, I knew they only had two shows left at two hours each, which is what prompted the thought. I was mainly curious if next week was just going to be three teams with two eliminations tomorrow, or if one of the two legs tomorrow is likely to be a NEL. I'm going to assume the first leg tomorrow is a NEL since it seems like doing it with five teams makes more sense.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah, I knew they only had two shows left at two hours each, which is what prompted the thought. I was mainly curious if next week was just going to be three teams with two eliminations tomorrow, or if one of the two legs tomorrow is likely to be a NEL. I'm going to assume the first leg tomorrow is a NEL since it seems like doing it with five teams makes more sense.

Yea, can only assume they would do another NEL. Although they still haven't even really did an extended super long leg either. Although they made the partner swap leg last 2 episodes, it really couldn't have been that long of a leg. Although maybe it was long for the teams as they did do a lot of travelling, then set up camp, then did some stupid activity.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Uuuuuugh what a lovely way to go out :smith:

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006
it's amazing race 101, passport on you at all times

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Teckiwi posted:

it's amazing race 101, passport on you at all times

While true, it also doesn't really make my comment any less true either.

THOUGHTS
Props to the editors for the clip at the start of the show. It dawned on me about 90 minutes in that it was intentional foreshadowing. When Jess and Cody were looking for new shoes, Cody says "I'll just carry her the rest of the way if I have to." Well, he's halfway through doing exactly that.

That Dubai leg just seemed brutal in general with how long it was.

Having an Elephant help you get onto its own head/back has to be a top five life moment.

Also Team Extreme I love you but stop saying you beat Yale at math, you beat them at measurements :mad:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Thats one brutal last challenge.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Thats one brutal last challenge.

Yeah, I can't imagine everything going through their heads. Henry out thinking himself was soulcrushing.

I hope they get to do more seasons and that team Indy Car is on the next returnees season though. They were a ton of fun. Also Big Brother really turned me around on them in the last few weeks. I was pretty happy to see them win.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea, it's really weird how toxic they were on Big Brother, but ended up being likable on the Amazing Race because they were just having fun with it.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Cody & Jessica really?
Welp, that was a televised fairy tale ending I rooted against but a win is a win.

They are no Trisha and whoever she married on The Bachelor...
They are no Brenchel, but they did do what those two dopes couldn't by winning TAR.

I'm so sad Henry didn't do a check when he had the game, set and match.

But that's why you play the game, I guess.

Congrats Team Jody.

(They won't last 3 years)

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014
Pretty impressive season overall; every team in the final 6(!) were competitive and likeable enough, which is an incredible turnaround from the Social Media Season. Most of the gimmicks were lackluster, but god bless 'em for trying new things with a ninety-year-old franchise.

8/10 would watch again (if its not cancelled).

Robnoxious posted:

(They won't last 3 years)

The sound of goalposts being launched into the distance...

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If I was gonna pick a team that would break up (not counting goat yoga) it would be Yale tbh.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I thought it was really tough to have the final part of the final challenge be done solo. The weight on that person's shoulder is immense. I'm not sure if that has been done before, I don't remember.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

DuhSal posted:

I thought it was really tough to have the final part of the final challenge be done solo. The weight on that person's shoulder is immense. I'm not sure if that has been done before, I don't remember.

Historically this has been the norm; the second Road Block on the final leg is usually a memory task and only completed by the teammate that didn't participate in the first road block. Last season changed the format a bit with the team-scoreboard challenge at Wrigley Field, and occasionally the final roadblock isn't a memory challenge at all.

But yeah it's a lot of pressure to put on one member of a team. Especially with the finish line in sight - that's a new twist.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Henry had a system for the stuff he didn't know on that task so it was only a matter of time before he was going to solve it. Team Xtreme tried to just think it out and couldn't. Jess's strategy was basically to just keep brute forcing it and not giving up while slightly learning as she went. She got a good break and won, but even then she wouldn't have if she didn't have a nice headstart on Yale.

That crab challenge was way harder than the restaurant one. Indy car switched, sucked at the restaurant thing, and still got to the next task before both crab teams.

I was rooting against Yale though. Evan is such a Type A personality it's no wonder the other teams didn't like them. Also, they and Indy car checked in with each other trying to figure out the sign challenge at the end of Hong Kong, and then Yale solved it and just had to get to the pit stop. Team Xtreme hadn't even showed up yet. But Evan yells at Henry for telling Indy car to go "back up that way" or something vague like that... any thoughts on that?

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 24, 2018

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Evan is a wweird name for a lady

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum