Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Again, I would love to see a way for brands to benefit unarmed. I wanna go tso and have holy fists of justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
How hard would hand wraps be to implement?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

How hard would hand wraps be to implement?

Hand wraps as a weapon that scales off unarmed? Probably as hard as implementing hammers again (with maybe a little extra code if Unarmed needs to be made a proper weapon class instead of just being melee with no weapon). Brands could probably be easy to add to that as well.

Just allowing brands on bare hands? Probably going to require massive reworking of either hands or the branding code to allow, or creating some super sketchy workaround of making infinite duration buffs to represent hand brands.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Hand Wraps it is, then.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Now that I finished coding my spell (or at least the draft version of it), I want to work on something the thread chooses. It can't be a huge project or really difficult and I might veto things that clearly exceed my ability or that I just really, really hate for whatever reason. I'm most interested in working on spells, but I could try other stuff too. My own suggestions are:

-Work on poison magic. My first main idea is to replace bolt of venom with a utility focused acid spell. I could also add other poison or acid themed spells at higher level. I'm strongly opposed to just adding more damage spells and I'd much rather work on utility spells, but I'll follow the thread consensus.

-Work on charms: People were talking about a time stop type of spell in the last thread. I want to add a generally useful and powerful high level charm that isn't a permabuff and that seems to fit the bill.

-Work on permabuffs: This will depend on Floodkiller's plans, but I could start working on changing spells that we don't decide to make into permabuffs to be less tedious or some other work people are interested in.

-Something else: Tell me your idea.

If I get some interesting responses, I'll put them into a survey. If I don't get any responses, I'll just pick whatever I'm most interested in.

They don't get short blades level stabs. Unless I'm reading the code wrong, they do get to stab with every other form, though. I've played a statue form felid stabber, but I don't have experience with the other forms.
Do poison magic, imo

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
here's a hosed up suggestion: make the lernaean hydra, the hell lords, the unique pan lords, the seraph, and the royal jelly butcher into one teal chunk that you can eat for a beneficial mutation

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Unarmed shouldn't be allowed to benefit from brands. Unarmed is absurdly strong at high skill levels. The trade off to using it supposed to be that it takes a long time to master and you don't benefit from brands. Making unarmed another weapon type that is reliant upon loot to reach its full effectiveness would just take away its unique aspects.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Samog posted:

here's a hosed up suggestion: make the lernaean hydra, the hell lords, the unique pan lords, the seraph, and the royal jelly butcher into one teal chunk that you can eat for a beneficial mutation
:yeah:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Samog posted:

This is a cool idea, kind of like gross, eats the flesh of his enemies, Megaman.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Internet Kraken posted:

Unarmed shouldn't be allowed to benefit from brands. Unarmed is absurdly strong at high skill levels. The trade off to using it supposed to be that it takes a long time to master and you don't benefit from brands. Making unarmed another weapon type that is reliant upon loot to reach its full effectiveness would just take away its unique aspects.
Just make the hand wraps an unrand so it's just a cool little rare thing if ya get it.

Comedy option: only have one and it's chaos

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Transmutations is basically brands for unarmed anyways.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Oh poo poo I forgot about the tournament. Is it too late to get in on a team?

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Fr: handwraps that dont gently caress with claws and stuff like trolls and ghouls. I mean clearly ghouls cant use holy handwraps but a ghoul clawing and punching poo poo to death with flaming fists sound so cool I must have it.

Edit: Oh poo poo, what about octopodes if we do that? Can they have like, handwraps of each element on or something insane?

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Captainsalami posted:

Fr: handwraps that dont gently caress with claws and stuff like trolls and ghouls. I mean clearly ghouls cant use holy handwraps but a ghoul clawing and punching poo poo to death with flaming fists sound so cool I must have it.

Edit: Oh poo poo, what about octopodes if we do that? Can they have like, handwraps of each element on or something insane?

That's an idea. Make the handwraps a ring. Like brass knuckles.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Worthleast posted:

That's an idea. Make the handwraps a ring. Like brass knuckles.

Hmm, wait, i'm dumb. If its just a weapon slot then theres no problem. Not like theres dual wielding in this game anyway. The easy way would be just adding a weapon with a brand damage on it that offers no bonuses besides the good damage unarmed already does.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Samog posted:

this idea is really good and i support the thought of uniques in general providing guaranteed good mutations

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Just make the wrappings accept god-brands only and not any plusses.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Are vorpal scrolls still even a thing?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Yes. Kinda. Scroll of Brand Weapon gives a random brand weighted towards fire & cold, then vorpal, then poison and others.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Also this fork will actually make me wanna play again. Nothing wrong with a roguelike having stupid races that are too easy or too hard, they just need to be fun. I loved lava orcs and djinni cause they were unique at least.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Didn't one version of WJC give brands to unarmed back when the capstone power was to summon a divine weapon? If someone really wants to add brands to unarmed attacks, maybe Steel Neuron could help.

But unarmed really doesn't need a buff. At all. If it had easy access to brands it would be unquestionably and absolutely superior to every other weapon skill. What keeps it in check is that in order to get brands, you have to invest a lot into casting spells that all typically come with major drawbacks attached.

Letting TSO bless your fists probably wouldn't be that huge a game breaker, since holy wrath isn't that big of a deal until extended anyway and a no transmutations unarmed character of TSO is a really weak build. Letting Kiku bloody your fists with pain would break the game right in half.

I think an unrand ring that gives the holy wrath brand to unarmed would be better.

Or if you really, really want unarmed brands, you could make some kind of spell like "charms/transmutations 5: annointed fists" that reduces unarmed damage, but adds a brand that scales with piety and invocations and deals extra damage depending on your god. Personally, I think that sounds cool, but overly complex. If a bunch of people want something like that, though, I could try to code it.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

So, I may have accidentally broken something by trying to put Singularity back in. Now every enemy is surrounded by translocational energy:

E: Good news, I stopped turning everything purple. Bad news, singularities will only last a single turn before imploding. Coding is hard :smith:

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 9, 2018

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Quick, someone post that gif of 'I kick rear end for the lord" from that dumb horror movie with a priest punching zombies to death.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Captainsalami posted:

Quick, someone post that gif of 'I kick rear end for the lord" from that dumb horror movie with a priest punching zombies to death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfkHkdu5IEI have a video

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Yes, this is exactly why I want branded fists.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Just allow gloves to be branded and to come with brands. The brand only works if you're hitting unarmed.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Heithinn Grasida posted:

. Letting Kiku bloody your fists with pain would break the game right in half.

counterpoint

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

redneck nazgul posted:

Just allow gloves to be branded and to come with brands. The brand only works if you're hitting unarmed.

Gloves currently can only provide a slaying addition to melee/ranged attacks. Having them provide brands (which are an inherent part of weapons when calculating damage) would likely be as difficult as giving bare hands a brand. It also can lead to other problems, like what happens when you are swinging a branded weapon while wearing branded gloves (and if they are unarmed only, where to put all the edge cases in the attack code to exclude it)?

On another note, I'll likely close the Healing Evocable poll sometime today, since votes have slowed down and it has a decent amount of participation. The Blades of Disaster PR poll is still looking slim, so please go vote if you haven't already!

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
All right, gently caress it I'm gonna start coding for this to help. All I know is FORTRAN77 though, I'm guessing C is basically the same thing?

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
Give the unique slinger a magic sling

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
Replace large rocks with cannonballs

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
Replace wand of polymorph with a scroll that hits everything on screen

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

pathetic little tramp posted:

All right, gently caress it I'm gonna start coding for this to help. All I know is FORTRAN77 though, I'm guessing C is basically the same thing?

C++. Might have to do a little light reading to catch up, nothing too bad.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So what would it take to have online tiles of this fork like cao?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

BrandorKP posted:

So what would it take to have online tiles of this fork like cao?

I just have to ask the server admin if they are willing to host it. Even if one is willing, it likely won't happen until after the tournament.

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007
Are you keeping a list of implemented and planned deviations from .21? I didn't see anything obvious on the github page, besides just digging through commits.

About time someone started forking back in things that are cool and good.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Everyone go vote for my spell! Or against it, but if so, let me know what you don't like about the idea. To remind you, it's a short term buff that causes you to summon "disaster prisms" (very similar to fulminant prisms) on melee hits. After the buff runs out, you have two turns to get out of the way, then the prisms explode. It's supposed to be a strong, but situational and risky force multiplier that helps out blaster / melee hybrids.

I've brainstormed three poison spells to work on. No promises about how much I'll get done, tell me what you particularly like or don't like about any of the spells.

Level 3 poison - Acid Backlash. Wreathes the caster in a sheath of highly pressurized acid. If the caster's blood is drawn, the blood reacts with the sheath and unleashes a retaliatory spray of acid against the attacker. The acid isn't corrossive enough to degrade equipment, but the spray is caustic, disorienting and hideously painful, making it much more difficult for attackers to land subsequent hits. The sheath is produced with a certain number of charges, and when the last charge is used up, the spell expires. (Per I am Otis' suggestion. The retaliation doesn't blind, but does reduce accuracy by a lot, which means this should be a fairly potent defensive spell against melee enemies as long as you can take one hit first)

Level 5 Hexes/Poison - Leash of Anguish. Latches onto the essence of a creature and pours out hatred, fear and anger towards it. The flood of emotion manifests as a beam of potent acid, damaging and corroding all those caught between the caster and the target continuously for several turns. The target itself is unaffected by the spell. (shamelessly ripped off from the spell "Antipathetic Field" in Pillars of Eternity)

Level 6 Hexes/Translocations/Poison - Astral Venom. Unleashes a spray of horrific magical venom that exposes the targets to the raw, unfiltered power of the abyss. A number of terrible things could happen to the subject as long as it's afflicted by the venom. The venom's magic infects the substance of anything animate and capable of attacking the caster, regardless of whether it's living or dead, corporeal or incorporeal. (Using Dazzling Spray's targeting per Tollymain's suggestion. I actually don't want a bunch of poison spells that all cause corrosion, I'd rather it be a rare effect that isn't easy to apply directly to prevent every character from wanting to learn poison magic. This is a triple school poison spell that doesn't actually do poison damage. I intend this spell to be really strong and a good incentive to go into poison and pick up other poison spells if you find it)

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
FR: name this fork Dungeon Crawl: Goon Soup

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Cholfo posted:

Are you keeping a list of implemented and planned deviations from .21? I didn't see anything obvious on the github page, besides just digging through commits.

About time someone started forking back in things that are cool and good.

I moved it into docs/gooncrawl. As a quick summary, I'm just going to hold off on merging major feature changes/additions/removals (which is based on my discretion). Anything minor/bug fixes/UI related (that isn't major, like LOS changes) will just get auto-merged unless I notice complaints about it (ex. I reverted the cacodemon tile back to being fatties after seeing some complaints about it, and I can merge the new one in if people FR for it to have the new tile instead).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
i like the new tiles i've seen, except for wights (they just don't look good) and the TSO altar (the pun is stupid and so is the reason for the change)

• Locked thread