Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Hand Wraps it is, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Just make the wrappings accept god-brands only and not any plusses.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Yes. Kinda. Scroll of Brand Weapon gives a random brand weighted towards fire & cold, then vorpal, then poison and others.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

The crusader/skald book change was a good one. The Conjuror one sucks rear end. How does one know which was which?

Perhaps the answer is in the timing. More recent changes are from the current jackasses. Pre-2015 are much safer/better than post-2016.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Fix Malmutate and rMut doesn't matter as much.

It's also already on the alchemist hat, so you could add more fixedarts

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

The game is MASSIVELY about equipment luck, yeah. But more lucking into good resists than good offense.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Oh yeah, that reminds me of another request for gooncrawl: Orc gets at least one more level

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Grandpa Okawaru definitely needs a boost. But it would be better for the weapons to be Neutral so you can let them be or decide to attack after you've seen it. Or let them deal with threats like freed slaves do

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

Combine the ideas? Do that for shining, and make OoF check MR?

Make OoF's spew mutagenic clouds. Not sure the exact mechanic, but there are a few ways it could be done

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

My problem with catelbopas clouds is that it makes a whole stream of them. Better to just fire off a single cloud like a draconian or a ring of clouds around the target like an ophan.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

The problem is that Orbs of Fire generate in Zot, which usually has normal, narrow corridors

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Lets see. We'd need a bunch of pizza, one quarterstaff, two daggers* (sais), a scimitar or longsword (katana), and either a dire flail with a special sprite or four clubs. Probably some good potions, too, for the casters.

Defended by one rat & I guess 4 iguanas behind doors (until you have a lesser turtle coded). Could also say that 'Foot Clan Ninjas' (or robots) have taken over the hideout and set up the encounter that way, with a friendly Rat & Turtles on the other side of grates and some other enemies in the central area to defeat.

The supercomputer or the subway car depends on how many versions you want to make.

*or 5% chance for quickblades

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Flayed Ghosts are hard to see against the background of Crypt. Old sprite was better

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Look at the previous page

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

1) I like the idea of making it more dangerous to be in Vaults without a Rune but leaving it around D14. Maybe a hell-effects thing but with the Sentinel/Warden/Convoker effect instead of miscasts? Or just randomly locking 1/2 the up-stairs in a level?

2) Entropy Weavers could also stand to lose one or two of their 4 attacks

3) I don't care which version of Ely you use. The current version is probably stronger overall, but a less unique playstyle

4) I don't know what this is.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

All these ideas sound like they're replacing something kinda bad (the rune lock) with something much worse

I see your point. I do like the Rune Lock a lot since it forces you to take risks instead of piling up the easiest XP first.

But if we decided to do away with it, let's make it fun.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

What crab meme,? When I played (last week) it was unnoticeabe.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Whatever happened with those Charms spells we brainstormed in the last thread? Did anybody do any work on them?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Okawaru is fine but boring. He was a lot more interesting when he got pissed off by allied deaths, because it limited a lot of otherwise obvious choices.

I'd say base gift weighting heavily towards artifacts as as skill and/or level get above 20.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Huh. Sounds like you're in the minority on that.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Ehhhhhh. The thing about Dig is that you can use it to funnel attackers. Blasting out more wall squares is a downgrade.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Tollymain posted:

what would make deep dwarves not absurdly bad at anything outside berserkers and (necromancers of) makhleb?

i feel that at the very least elyvilon should be a relatively viable choice because come on. maybe they should get improved benefits to non-makhleb healing effects/potions?

Getting HP back when they kill Elves. :black101:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

The thing about early Gnolls imo is that the free starting skills from your background count for way more than they do for anyone else.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

rchandra posted:

Or they could even have sid/1 and no choice levels at all!

I'd play some test games of that.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Ice spell ideas:

Speed skates that move you [number] of squares in a line per movement action, for [duration].

A single [square/target] version of the 'create a block of ice' effect that Glaciate uses to obstruct movement. (Ice/Poison?)

The 'triple axel, double lutz' where you attack all the squares around you with 3x auxiliary kick, then do a short random blink and attack all the squares around your new location with 2x unarmed attack. This should probably let critters react during the duration.

Something to do with boulder beetles as curling stones?

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 18, 2018

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Slalom: the ice-only version of (semi) controlled blink.

A spell that summons 6 'hockey player' humanoids with polearms from edge of LoS. One of them has heavier armor and a shield. Requires open space.

Slopestyle 720: jump over two squares and attack them as you pass.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 17, 2018

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Microcline posted:

The official reason given for Scroll of Brand Armour is that by far the optimal use would be boots so you could get the running ego.

Just make it so that the scroll can only add elemental resists (rF, rC, rElec, rPois, rCorr, rN).

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I personally think that the name demigod implies extra interaction with the god system, not less. Maybe a race that gains piety 50% faster and has really good invo?

At XL 8 you gain a choice between two random gods. At XL 11, the other one starts attacking you.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I feel like the dueling with St Roka might be hard to implement, because you'd need to stop your allies and his allies from joining in.

But I'm not a coder.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Tollymain posted:

thats pretty dang good, i want to try it

im gonna hafta think up some other explanation for a species to have no shield slot and a weird gimmick around that conceit lmao

More crabs than elves

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Tollymain posted:

how do people feel about that fiddler crab concept btw

I love the claw gimmick, not sure it needs the movespeed.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Crab should get Hats-only, Cloaks+Scarves, Robes-only, and Boots. The resists are pretty important. Formicids get almost full slots so it's not too weird.

Also, don't forget that the giant claw mutation comes with the only one hand (a la Ru) drawback.

Edit: Unify the Barding item for crabs, nagas, and centaurs?

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 26, 2018

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Speleothing posted:

Edit: Unify the Barding item for crabs, nagas, and centaurs?

I'm liking this more & more. Special-case the two current Unrands, then add an Unrand for crabs only.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Probably pretty flat melee. Good throwing & short blades to go with the stealth.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 27, 2018

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Make Silence & Invisibility better.

Make all Short Blades have an equal stab bonus so you don't have to switch to a dagger.

Also, :eyepop::love: that suggestion about daggers being offhand weapons that enable stabs

Edit: rename the to Hermetic Crabs to really drive home the magically-attuned theme

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 29, 2018

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Lava Orcs and Djinni seemed to be kinda broken. The ideas work in theory, but I'm not sure they can just be re-implemented directly.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Bringing back thrown spears and hand axes is a really really bad idea. It's the sort of HOM bullshit that was removed for a good reason.

No no no no no.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Fixing the melee math is a drat good idea, tho. Melee damage being a rand(1 to x+1) function instead of stacked ydx's is absolute bullshit. That you can do between 1dmg and 100dmg per swing at level 27 & skill 27 is quite possibly the dumbest idea in gaming history.

Particularly since spell damage works on a ydx+z system, where y, x, & z depend on skill & ability score.

And accuracy is somehow worse.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

gently caress anything that duvessa made. What an elitist rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Worthleast posted:

Tear it all down. Why hello Fire Giant on D:8 which also has the Lair and Orc entrances. No, I wasn't planning on returning to this floor.

Actually, a combo entry vault could be cool. But not if it was unreasonably difficult.

• Locked thread