Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I started playing this again after years, what's the right distribution of skill points for a minotaur berserker?

Also, what are the biggest things that have changed since say .17 or .18?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I meant the stat points not the skills, sorry. Should I put any points into intelligence? Like 2:1 strength:dexterity?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

OK I've made it pretty far with my MiBe. What should I use for endgame armor? I have a +5 artifact MR+ chain mail, a +4 fire scales with no other enchantments, a +0 gold dragon armour, and I think a +2 or so MR plate armour

Here's my dump

https://pastebin.com/swESnrqp

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

If you have a rC+ ring to swap on when ice enemies show up, fire scales would be good for zot.

How much more useful is rF than MR in general in the late game?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I have like 10 enchant armors I just haven't used them yet

Good point about Trog, I didn't realize that included MR

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

rchandra posted:

This pushes it to the GDA for me, whether you have other rF rings or not.

I've got one non-artifact ring of fire resistance, that's it for rF besides the armor

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

As an axe-wielding MiBe, how much of a dealbreaker (if at all?) is the corrosion penalty on this armor?

the +4 scale mail "Iheusoa" (worn) {*Corrode rF+ rN+++ Slay+3}

My gut tells me I shouldn't wear it, is that right? I have rCorr from other equipment but I'm assuming this ignores it, right?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is it more worth training bows or evocations for that character (axe MiBe)? I feel like I should have some ranged capacity but I've only ever really used it in Shoals (of course, I don't usually make it that far so maybe that's why?) I have a +2 vampiric battleaxe, a +7 battleaxe of chopping, and a +3 antimagic executioner's axe. Until I get a better executioner's axe I should use the chopping battleaxe right? In that case there's no point training Axes past 20/mindelay for battleaxes? Right now I'm level 16, I've cleared dungeon, lair, orc, shoals to 3 (with no ranged ability) and am going to clear Snake the same before doing the last floors

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Why crossbow instead of longbow?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So what's a comprehensive list of how the game has been ruined since about .16 or so, which is when I stopped playing? They cut the size of early branches, removed useful wands, what else?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Do draining weapons reduce the XP you get from killing stuff?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is it worth training stealth as a melee tank? I’ve played two or three games as experiments and it seems neat but if I’m just going to kill things with an axe anyway what’s the point?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What attribute increases should I choose for an octopode assassin? I have basically no experience playing non-tanks, so I'm trying this instead

Also, what god should I choose?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 5, 2018

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Okay, I’ve got a MiBe that’s made it past V5 fairly easily. I kind of want to do some of extended but I’ve only done a 3 rune as a MiBe before. Should I switch gods to Zin or TSO? I’m assuming Abyss is the easiest next rune to get?

Also what should I use the 3 scrolls of acquire I have access to for? I don’t have any gaps in resistances but more slaying would be nice, I only have one amulet with slaying. As you can see my cloak and gloves slots could be better, so armor instead?

https://pastebin.com/Xvt5sUDE

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Decided to switch to TSO and did Tomb, beat it and got the rune without dying in my first ever attempt on Tomb:3, while also suffering Trog’s wrath at the same time :smugdog: Although I did burn all of my haste and blink potions/scrolls

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Welp

https://pastebin.com/E43XgMEt

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Nah, I just died because I went too deep and got mobbed. I got another haste potion and could have blinked from equipment but didn’t because of course not

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is is safe to leave stuff on the floor in Slime 5 now, in .21?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I sailed through 10 runes with almost no trouble, died literally in the first room I set foot in in Pan

https://pastebin.com/brypyEJB

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I didn’t realize they can smite you from behind glass walls

In fact, the wiki says they can’t smite you from behind glass walls. There were two hell sentinels spawne in the room and they did most of the damage I think, plus something casting torment. I should have just teleported but didnt

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 23, 2018

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is Panedomium generally considered to be easier than Hell? My last tragic run I did all of Hell easily then died immediately in Pan, but the wiki says you should do Pan before Hell?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Am I correct in thinking that it's basically required to switch to TSO and/or Zin in order to do a 15 rune run? Am I just small minded, weak willed and afraid of malmutate?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

I lost a drat good FoFi a while back to Oka wrath.

I have a very promising FoFi I was planning to switch from Trog, that's what prompted me to post this

I Oka wrath worse than Trog? I've faced Trog wrath a few times and dealt with it fine

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Do jellies eat the stuff on the ground in Slime 5 still?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What’s the easiest way to win zig sprint?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What stats should you raise for a pure melee fighting man? Strength or Dex? I've been doing 50/50 as much as possible, evening out the random points

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Dex affects block chance depending on the size of your shield, but the effect is usually pretty minor, so I don’t think it ever makes sense to let shield choice determine your choice of str or dex.

The effect on stabbing and stealth is bigger, but most stabbers use hexes to disable targets and need int much, much more than they need dex.

The most important thing about dex is the boost to evasion. If you’re not casting, or only casting a little, whether you want strength or dex depends on how much strength you already have. If you have enough to wear really heavy armor without huge penalties, you want more dex. If you don’t have enough for the armor you want to wear, you want strength. Lots of the melee heavy species start out with high strength and gain strength as they level up, so for hill orc, gargoyle, minotaur or whatever, dex can be a better choice than strength if you feel like you really need more defense. Ogres, in particular, really, really want to level dex, since it helps their EV a lot, and they’ll naturally have all the strength they’ll ever need.

Dex has diminishing returns after 24, so if you somehow get it that high, strength becomes more desirable no matter what. The damage boost from strength also isn’t totally negligible, so if you feel your defenses are solid and don’t know what to pick, pick strength.

In general, I wish crawl’s stats were a little more sharply defined. It’s really hard to know which stat to level without a lot of experience in the game. Dex in general also looks pretty bad compared to str in most cases and the “rogue” archetype of a character fighting with light weapons and light armor is extremely weak in Crawl.

What I think the game needs is a heavily revised accuracy formula along with some kind of critical hit system so that characters that pile on high accuracy and use a rapier or a spear can compete with hulking brutes wielding a great mace or a bardiche.

How much strength is needed for a particular encumbrance rating? Based on the wiki this seems very confusing also. CPA is 23 encumbrance rating, what strength do you need for that?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think it might be good to play up this distinction for Strength vs Dex melee. Strength weapons could be slow but deal a lot of raw DPS that you want to find multipliers for, while Dex weapons could land a lot of accurate but weak hits that you want to find additive bonuses for. If we introduce off-hand weapons that give aux attacks those could go well with dex things.

Didn't strength weighting for weapons used to be a thing and they removed it?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What happens when you kill things over deep water? Does the stuff they drop just disappear? Same for ammo fired at enemies over deep water? Seems pretty bullshit to me, I lost half my throwing nets in shoals

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

You can get stuff back with statue form iirc lol

or fedhas sunlight

Not while flying over deep water though?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Does Oka's ammo gift timer also affect the weapon timer? In other words, if you train a ranged skill and so get ranged gifts will the melee gifts be less frequent?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 7, 2018

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So wait does slaying give a bonus to magical attacks? The wiki pages seems to read like it does not

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Ring_of_slaying

quote:

A ±X ring of slaying affects the accuracy and damage of your melee (including unarmed), ranged, and auxiliary attacks

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

edit: dammit

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 27, 2018

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Hi, so I accidentally went into the Zig that (according to the wiki apparently) always spawns in Depths. I've never done a Zig before in the real game, only Zig sprint. I'm playing a GrEE for basically the first time I've made it this far as a mage character, seem to be humongously OP, and have beaten half of the Zig fairly easily with shatter and 60 intelligence. Should I quit or try to beat the whole thing? How hard are the lower levels?

Here's my dump

https://pastebin.com/6SB1mAdQ

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.21.1 (console) character file.

Donald Drumpf the Metallomancer (GrEE)           Turns: 88670, Time: 06:03:51

Health: 151/151    AC: 40    Str: 11    XL:     27
Magic:  60/60      EV: 14    Int: 61    God:    Sif Muna [*****.]
Gold:   3291       SH:  0    Dex: 17    Spells: 5/62 levels left

rFire    + + .     SeeInvis +   V - +6 Majin-Bo {vamp, Archmagi MP+6 Int+6}
rCold    x . .     Gourm    +   (shield currently unavailable)
rNeg     + . .     Faith    .   k - +0 scale mail "Ebihoiw" {Int+7 Dex+3}
rPois    8         Spirit   .   s - +2 helmet {Int+3}
rElec    +         Reflect  .   p - +0 cloak of Agnosticism {rCorr MP+9 Str-5 Int+5}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   w - +1 pair of gloves of the Apprentice {rPois MR+}
MR       +++..                  Q - +2 pair of boots
Stlth    ++........             Z - amulet "Ufiok" {Gourm rElec rF+ Dex+4 Stlth+}
HPRegen  0.35/turn              A - ring "Zafoacwu" {+Fly rC- Str-2 Int+10 SInv}
MPRegen  0.37/turn              h - ring "Edulutus" {+Inv rPois rF+ Str+4 Int+3}

@: no status effects
A: big wings, frail 1, negative energy resistance 1, electricity resistance,
unbreathing, petrification resistance, rot immunity, AC +20
}: 2/15 runes: decaying, gossamer
a: Fly, Divine Energy, Channel Magic, Forget Spell, Renounce Religion, Evoke
Invisibility, Evoke Flight
If I continue, what equipment should I drop and what should I take? I have a fully inventory at this point, I went in with a lot of stuff. Here's what's on the floor now

code:
26 matches: travel [toggle: !], by dist [/], hide useless & duplicates [=]
 a - [Zig:16] a dazzling hand axe
 b - [Zig:16] a scroll of identify
 c - [Zig:16] a scroll of silence
 d - [Zig:16] a flail (1 further duplicate)
 e - [Zig:16] a glowing lajatang
 f - [Zig:16] a halberd of freezing
 g - [Zig:16] a hand axe (1 further duplicate)
 h - [Zig:16] a phantom mirror
 i - [Zig:16] a ring mail
 j - [Zig:16] a robe (1 further duplicate)
 k - [Zig:16] a runed scimitar
 l - [Zig:16] a staff of summoning
 m - [Zig:16] a book of Cantrips
 n - [Zig:16] a pair of boots
 o - [Zig:16] a runed plate armour
 p - [Zig:16] a sack of spiders
 q - [Zig:16] a scroll of silence
 r - [Zig:16] a crystal hunting sling
 s - [Zig:16] a glowing dagger
 t - [Zig:16] a glowing mace
 u - [Zig:16] 3 scrolls of identify
 v - [Zig:16] a brightly glowing platinum amulet
 w - [Zig:16] a hat
 x - [Zig:16] a potion of agility
 y - [Zig:16] a shiny plate armour
 z - [Zig:16] a slimy copper ring

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Okay, I did one more floor and left safely

Should I use the Majin-Bo (back in the main dungeon I mean)? Is it worth the HP draining?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is it even possible to win Zig Sprint without Qazlal? The closest it seems you can get is playing FE with Vehumet and racing to get ignition or fire storm castable as soon as possible, and then you die when you get pan lords. It seems just not possible to get damage to ramp up as fast as the enemies do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Will there be a .22 thread or have all the regulars burned out on this game?

• Locked thread