Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
So how do I turn my offline install of crawl into gooncrawl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

IronicDongz posted:

how are they less interesting than humans when both their downside and their upside are more interesting than anything humans have going on(+0 apts wowee)

Humans get gods, arguably the most interesting aspect of Crawl, and even if you find them boring, they're still way more interesting than "Stats!". Hell, one of the gods gets you stats and abilities, with a way more interesting trade off than slow development.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Yeah, I go with strength = encumbrance also, but you can have a little less and be okay, and a little more is always nice. I mostly play casters and hybrids that wear light to medium armor, though. Someone who has a lot of experience with pure melee bruisers might say that you can get away with significantly lower strength than the encumbrance rating.

The issue with ignoring strength on a pure melee bruiser is that it begs the question of what you put the points into instead. If your strength is lower than your ER, both of the other two stats are operating at a really lovely rate for anything a bruiser might want them for.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Attestant posted:

I haven't really looked at Crawl for like two years now. What is the current state of the game like? Seeing that there's an actual goon fork now, did people get super fed up by something the main devs did?

Most of the recent Crawl updates have at least felt like they removed more things than they added, and what was being removed was more often than not fun poo poo. The devs seem super focused on promoting a play style that bores me to tears.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Crawl .22: In-combat movement removed to improve verisimilitude

• Locked thread