Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Weeping Wound posted:

I was going to ask if this game was still on its death march to bad game hell, but it looks like someone's working on a fork to fix exactly that

nice

Hellcrawl already fixed it. Gooncrawl is gonna fix it in an entirely different manner though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It occurs to me that this evokable is pretty similar to an ambrosia except it's easier to end early. I don't think that's a problem though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

apple posted:

Speaking of which, I always found it weird/disappointing that Abyss:5 has nothing special other than increased spawn rates, maybe it could be put to use by placing a special portal to Zot there as a shortcut :getin:

This is a very good idea imo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
While we're putting in feature requests, here's an easy (presumably one) that's so obvious to me that I have no idea why it isn't in the game already:

put shops in Pan so money still does something in extended

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My preferred shining eye fix is replacing them with wretched stars wholesale. Stars fit slime just fine imo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm not actually gonna make the ninja turtle vault because I don't want to learn enough intricacies to make it a full sewer and what's even the point if it isn't a sewer

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'd also have to figure out how to add adolescent snapping turtles to the game but if that's easy too maybe I'll give it a try. All I really had was what you said except it's a sewer.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't actually know anything about ninja turtles, is there any distinctive feature of the sewers they live in before I make thoroughly generic ones for them?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't think labyrinths are generated via vaults and sewers are always vaults so it'd require actual code changes I think. I think I could generate 3-4 premade maps and give them each 1/3 or 1/4 the normal spawn rate so it "feels" like a random maze.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I didn't have time to actually work on a vault today but I looked up how the weaker siren works and it's completely trivial to do weaker turtles. Again I don't know anything about Ninja Turtles so I'm open to suggestions about the layout and contents of the sewers but I'll see if I can't actually make it tomorrow.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
How do you go about testing a temporary branch vault? Normal vaults you can just give absurd weights but I don't even see weights for sewer vaults

Here's the vault in case somebody decides it's easier to just test it themselves instead of teaching me how to do it. No guarantee it even functions, much less is interesting or fun.

e: fixed a typo that made crawl CTD

code:
############################################################################
# Ninja turtles. By Cheetah7071
# Mostly generic sewer, but with some jokey enemies and items at the end.
#
NAME:    sewer_c7071_ninja_turtles
TAGS:    no_item_gen no_monster_gen no_pool_fixup
ORIENT:  encompass
#	filler monsters
MONS:   kobold / big kobold / adder / ball python / worm
#	TMNT monsters
MONS:	rat hd:2
MONS:	snapping_turtle name:juvenile name_adjective hd:2
#	filler loot
ITEM:   potion of flight / potion of agility / potion of heal wounds / \
        potion of invisibility / potion of degeneration / \
        scroll of blinking / scroll of teleportation / scroll of fear / \
        scroll of random uselessness / ration / potion of blood / \
        nothing w:55
#	TMNT loot
ITEM:	quarterstaff / dagger / longsword / dire flail / potion of mutation w:20 / pizza w:40 / nothing w:200
KFEAT:	r = . w:50 / W
KFEAT:	q = x w:40 / W / .

MAP
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
x{rrrrqqxqqqqxqqqqqqqxqqqqqqqx
xxxxxrxxxrr1rxqqqqqqqxqdqqdqqx
xqqqqrqqxrqqrxqdrrr1rxqrqqrqqx
xqdqqrqqxrqqrxqqqqqqrxqrqq1qqx
xqrqqr1qxrqqrxqqqqqqr1rr1rrqqx
xq1qqqrqxrqqrr1rr1rrrxqqqqqqqx
xqrqqqrrxrqqrxqqqqqqqxqqqqqqqx
xqrqqqqr1rqqrxqqqqqqqxqqqqqqqx
xqrqqqqqxrqqrxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xq1qqqqqxrqqqxrrr1rrqxeeeeeeex
xqrrrrrrrrqqqxrqqqqrqxee3e3eex
xqqq1qqqxrqqqxrqqqqrqxeee2eeex
xqqqrqqqxrrr1rrqqqqrr+ee3e3eex
xqqqrqqqxqqqqxrqqqqqqxeeeeeeex
xqqqdqqqxqqqqxdqqqqqqxeeeeee<x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ENDMAP

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 26, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Okay that version of the vault is way way way way too hard

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I could probably make them depth-appropriate monsters like orcs, and then give them turtle tiles...I think. This would have the benefit of making the turtles wield weapons.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Well, here's a much lower-scope variant that's just a room full of pizza, mut potions, and ninja-y weapons alongside a rat and four turtles. In wizmode I discovered that four snapping turtles simultaneously is kinda tough even for a maxed-out character but on the other hand you can just back off and use normal luring tactics. It's not like Shoals and late dungeon can't get multiple dangerous enemies with reach at the same time just through normal monster generation, and a few almost-guaranteed mut potions seems like a reasonable reward to me.

code:
NAME:	c7071_tmnt
TAGS:	no_item_gen no_monster_gen
DEPTH:	D:13-, Shoals
MONS:	rat
MONS:	snapping turtle name:juvenile name_adjective
ITEM:	quarterstaff / dagger / longsword / dire flail / potion of mutation w:60 / ration tile:food_pizza w:120 / nothing w:450
MAP
xxxxxxx
xdddddx
xd2d2dx
+dd1ddx
xd2d2dx
xdddddx
xxxxxxx
ENDMAP
If someone else wants to make the full-on sewer where you help out friendly turtles go ahead but I don't think I'll be making that.

I did like the layout that my randomish-terrain produced in that sewer so I might turn it into a more plausible difficulty and submit it to normal crawl

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I tried to play gooncrawl but I'm too used to the overhauls in hellcrawl unfortunately. Mostly food removal and the spellcasting overhaul, I can take or leave upwards staircases

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
All these ideas sound like they're replacing something kinda bad (the rune lock) with something much worse

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's been a long time since I've done hell, but my recollection is that the annoying part of hell effects is when all they accomplish is making you hit 5 more. My proposed fix is that most hell effects only happen when enemies are visible. Hell effects that summon monsters can happen at any time, as currently. Doing this like teleportitis where the game continues to roll hell effects normally but non-summoning ones are suppressed when enemies aren't visible seems fine. Actually rolling the two separately would also be fine.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If Oka gifts become hostile, do them like Ru. Oka tells you "Hey you're ready for a gift, which one do you want" and then you choose between a set of three on your own time when nothing's already fighting you and then you get the thing

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

World Famous W posted:

They've gone to far! Pitchforks and torches will be provided in the town square.

Also I do plan on making that "that's dcss" emote still, but been feeling :effort:

Don't worry the emote would just be removed because there's no point in having a multitude of slightly different emotes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
make all spellbooks automatically explode when they enter los if you're trog imo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The correct number of floors in mega abyss is clearly 27, not 255

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Teal posted:

Hey, in Gooncrawl, the "5" wait is just 1 turn wait as opposed to the "wait till something heals/happens" wait in .21 vanilla; is this an intended change? Do I have some accidental RC mess going on?

try toggling numlock

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just exited the abyss and then lost all my remaining health (~1/3 of my total) before getting a single action back in the real world

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
No opinion on Pakellas, I never liked him so I'd personally suggest huge changes but I know a bunch of people did like him so I don't want to ruin him for them.

For rods, I kinda like the idea that rods and wands are flip sides of the same coin, where they have the exact same effect list. Maybe rods are Pakellas unique? So he gives you recharging versions of the wands everybody else gets. idk. Do make rods evoke from inventory though. I can't possibly imagine the one turn switch time was a key component of game balance.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Speedrunning as anything but an abyssal knight would be a nightmare with that but speedrunning is an extreme edge case and a backdoor into zot is super cool

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It should actually spawn a ring item as loot too

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly I think placid magic together with minotaur-ish aptitudes (maybe slightly more magic leaning because -2 is a struggle even with placid magic) is a great species idea that doesn't really want to be muddied with a bunch of extra stuff

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In the scenario where he gifts wand charges, there's no need for a conduct to prevent cheesing it. He picks a wand type without reference to your inventory. If you have one of those wands, he adds a few charges. If not, he gifts a wand with a few charges to you.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Make pan finite and remove exp from abyss and scumming is impossible at least. Hellcrawl has exp-less abyss.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Many (all?) of those spells have solutions in hellcrawl already

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Getting charms high enough to cast a level 9 spell is a real cost in hellcrawl because of reduced exp in general. It doesn't have to come back even if permabuffs come into gooncrawl

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If the godless species gets reflavored to make room for a self-worshiping demigod, I suggest flavoring them as robots, which unlike demigods have the distinct advantage of never appearing anywhere in Tolkien's works

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I also personally found demigods more appealing when their stats were chei lite rather than a single one being sky high. They absolutely need an aptitude boost though. Same with mummies.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That Vehumet idea is cool but I don't think he needs a buff and his core elements are all so fun I wouldn't want to nerf any to fit something new in

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Teal posted:

Turning on the Extra Assblast could just (temporarily, as long as you have it turned on) remove the help she provides with casting your own spells (maybe up to being inverted and making the base cast HARDER once you reach too high spellower?).

I mean, adding literally any active ability is a buff, no matter how many caveats you add, because you don't have to activate it if it wouldn't help you

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If we're looking for a thematic buff for sif, I like the idea of an active that completely eliminates spell failure for a while (and maybe also provides an enhancer?). So go ham with glaciate in the midgame at the cost of piety

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I stand by robots

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Can we at least goldify food, i.e. when you pick up a ration or an enemy drops a corpse, your food stash number increases, and pressing 'e' just subtracts one from your stash counter and gives you some satiation. Mostly butchering corpses is super annoying when trying to come back from hellcrawl and I don't want to do it. This is a slight buff to necromancers but I don't care.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
it looks nothing like mlp at all what are you even talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
FR: an actual pony race, because apparently people will complain about one existing even if it doesn't. Picks unicorn/pegasus/earth pony randomly at some XL like draconians. Pegasi have tengu flight, a dex boost, and improved dodging apts. Unicorns have improved int and spellcasting apts. Earth ponies have improved str and melee apts. They can't wear body armor but get two sets of boots.

• Locked thread