Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

jerkstoresup posted:

Sure, one more spot available. Not looking to compete, just get some banners and try to enjoy a win or two.

team Bring Back Everything (still open for a better team name)
# TEAMCAPTAIN jerkstore
1. Floodkiller
2. pinechild
3. worldfamousw
4. Thalamas

OK I'm grabbing this as cliffracer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

jerkstoresup posted:

don't forget to add "# TEAMCAPTAIN jerkstore" to the top of your .21 RC, making the only full goon team to start the tournament. Which starts now. :siren:

What a turnout! :classiclol:

It's been set since the tournament started. Did you add me to the team RC?

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

queserasera posted:

I finally figured out where the morgue and save files were stored and every single character I ever made, every version, is in there. It's...kinda pathetic really. Here's the one I killed off earlier:

https://pastebin.com/RyZpPc7P

And this is one of my better ones. I hauled around spellbooks and set up fiery murder corridors. Hooray for Trog!

https://pastebin.com/YYxuHtRk

This is how they usually go. (Pasted in its entirety.)

https://pastebin.com/ptE5RKAv

Start dungeon > pick up a god (usually Okawaru, Cheibriados, or Trog) > get down to dungeon 10-12 > Lair 1-6 > Orc 1-2 > then what? Unless I'm supposed to do the first 1-2 levels of one area, then pick another area and clear a level or two, and cycle around like that? I also dive into every timed area like the sewers, pyramid, labyrinth, etc.

1. The most important thing is to add this to your rc file.
hp_warning = 50
force_more_message += LOW HITPOINT WARNING
50% is a good time to think about options for retreating. You'll probably take hits while running away or teleporting and the default generally leaves you one lucky hit away from the morgue.
2. The earlier you apply a buff, the more effective it is. A might potion quaffed at 100% HP is twice as effective as one quaffed at 50%, and doesn't involve fighting at dangerous HP levels. This is one of the reasons Oka is so good for new players anyone who isn't a living threat assessment computer: you have two incredibly powerful buffs that have a low cost of a renewable resource. If you ever ask "should I invoke heroism before this fight" the answer is yes. Finesse is more expensive but is insanely powerful (effectively double damage) even compared to potion buffs like haste and might.

There are individual lessons to be learned (route ordering, wearing MR or running away from banishers, ID-ing potions as soon as possible), but I'd say the biggest step to winning games is looking at your inventory and realizing that nothing there is worth more than your life. Every time I die after D:1 I always see things like scrolls of teleportation (or even blinking), potions of haste, etc. in my inventory and think "and there I was, asleep at the switch again".

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

queserasera posted:

Do what huh? :downs:

Looking at Reddit and the Tavern leaves me even more confused. Is there a dummies guide to editing init.txt?

EDIT: Oh boy I get to start a new page with me being stupid.

It'll be <install dir>\settings\init.txt on Windows. The dummies guide is that it loads lines in order, ignoring anything that starts with "#", so you can just copy+paste the lines and save the file.

There's a big guide to what all of the options mean

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/blob/master/crawl-ref/docs/options_guide.txt

and you can do crazy poo poo like program the game to play itself (qw) but for the most part goons don't read it and just pass around a few important snippets. For instance, hp_warning is the percentage at which LOW HITPOINT WARNING occurs and force_more_message means that you have to stop mashing buttons and press spacebar to acknowledge the message. Most people also add lines like

force_more_message += .*orbs? of fire.* comes? into view

for the game's most dangerous enemies. For example, the bottom of your init.txt might look like

code:
##### Ancient versions ##############################################
# If you're used to the interface of ancient versions of Crawl, you may
# get back parts of it by uncommenting the following options:

# include                 = 034_command_keys.txt

# And to revert monster glyph and colouring changes:

# include                 = 052_monster_glyphs.txt
# include                 = 060_monster_glyphs.txt
# include                 = 071_monster_glyphs.txt
# include                 = 080_monster_glyphs.txt
# include                 = 0.9_monster_glyphs.txt
# include                 = 0.12_monster_glyphs.txt
# include                 = 0.13_monster_glyphs.txt
# include                 = 0.14_monster_glyphs.txt

#### Messages & display

hp_warning = 50

runrest_stop_message += Your transformation is almost over

fmm := force_more_message
fmm += calcifying dust hits you 
fmm += You fall through a shaft
fmm += LOW HITPOINT WARNING
fmm += don't die
fmm += You are starving
fmm += .*orbs? of fire.* comes? into view
fmm += .*pandemonium* comes? into view
fmm += ancient lich.* comes? into view
fmm += .*greater mumm.* comes? into view
fmm += .*(s|player) ghost.* comes? into view
fmm += .*Fiend.* comes? into view
fmm += .*Tzitzimitl.* comes? into view
fmm += .*curse skull.* comes? into view
fmm += .*Hell Sentinel.* comes? into view
fmm += .*shining eye.* comes? into view
fmm += .*caustic shrike.* comes? into view
fmm += .*juggernaut.* comes? into view
fmm += You have finished your manual
fmm += Found .* abyssal rune of Zot
fmm += (Agnes|Aizul|Antaeus|Asmodeus|Asterion|Azrael|Blork the orc|Boris|Cerebov|Crazy Yiuf|Dispater|Dissolution|Donald|Dowan|Duvessa|Edmund|the Enchantress|Ereshkigal|Erica|Erolcha|Eustachio|Fannar|Frances|Frederick|Gastronok|Geryon|Gloorx Vloq|Grinder|Grum|Harold|Ignacio|Ijyb|Ilsuiw|Jessica|Jorgrun|Jory|Joseph|Josephine|Khufu|Kirke|Lamia|the Lernaean hydra|Lom Lobon|Louise|Mara|Margery|Maud|Maurice|Menkaure|Mennas|Mnoleg|Murray|Natasha|Nergalle|Nessos|Nikola|Norris|Pikel|Plog|Polyphemus|Prince Ribbit|Psyche|Purgy|Robin|Roxanne|the royal jelly|Rupert|Saint Roka|the Serpent of Hell|Sigmund|Snorg|Sonja|Terence|Tiamat|Urug|Vashnia|Wiglaf|Xtahua).*into view

Microcline fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 17, 2018

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

tote up a bags posted:

I dunno I remember justification for removing something (could've been the Tolkien thing) being because they were shaping up for 0.20/21 to be on steam

The roguelike Tales of Middle Earth (ToME4) was renamed to Tales of Maj'Eyal before its commercial release on Steam.

High Elves were removed because they didn't have a gameplay niche, and the devs noted that reducing the amount of pseudo-Tolkien *-Elf lore was a positive side effect. It's what everyone remembers because "Tolkien Minorities" was the most inspired clan name of the .20 tournament.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

My big problem with purp removal was that it's a balancing effect for races like Ogres, Octopodes, and Felids who can gain a proportionally huge amount of survivability and don't have slots to lose. However, during the tournament I found you generally get at least one or two mut potions by the time you'd be killing sky beasts, even if it doesn't give that same lootbox feeling.

Malmut is still a little unbalanced for melee characters in extended, but it's much less so than gods choice where there are only about half a dozen reasonable choices out of 25.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

The correct number of floors in mega abyss is clearly 27, not 255

27 floors, and the last dumps you into a rune vault.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Is it worth training stealth as a melee tank? I’ve played two or three games as experiments and it seems neat but if I’m just going to kill things with an axe anyway what’s the point?

My rules of thumb:
Plate and above (18+ ER)-> don't train
FDA (11 ER) -> might be useful if you have spare EXP or favorable apts
Robe/leather (4- ER) -> always get at least some

Stealth increases the damage of stabs, but that's generally not important for melee tanks barring goofy edge cases like invis evokers. For non stabbers big benefits are being able to walk away from encounters and not attracting as much attention (this is especially useful in Abyss and Pan). It also makes monsters chasing you more likely to forget you when out of sight.

Ignoring bonuses/maluses the stealth formula is

stealth = 3*dex + 15*SK_STEALTH -2 × (Encumbrance rating)^2 / 3

There's no penalty for going below 0, and the effects will probably become noticeable at around 100 as the detection formula is roughly a (22 + HD) / stealth chance per turn. Unlike the casting and evasion penalties the stealth penalty is unaffected by strength.

To get 100 stealth at 15 dex,

GDA (23 ER): 27 levels of stealth skill
Plate (18 ER): 18 levels of stealth skill
FDA (11 ER): 9 levels of stealth skill
Leather (4 ER): 4 levels of stealth skill

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

From what I understand minor situational innates like MR and SInv are flavor friendly ways of dealing with weaknesses that would otherwise be inconvenient. For instance, Spriggan and Felid have some of the highest innate MR because paralysis can mean instant death and they have very few slots (which are typically desperately needed for other resistances). MR is too situational to be the defining feature of a race.

Tollymain posted:

innate placid magic as a species strength doesn't feel particularly dwarfy to me personally but i think its a great idea for a species down the line

It doesn't make sense for modern dwarves, who have a lot of morlock and mad scientist DNA mixed in, but it does make sense for T*lkien's. My problem would be that for races aptitudes tend to be a cleaner way of influencing spell choice.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

The only gimmick races I don't like are Deep Dwarf (broken in a way that probably can't be fixed), Vampire (fiddly for reasons that are more related to flavor than gameplay), and Human (not having any gimmicks is a boring gimmick).

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Patashu posted:

I might do 'monks start with an unknown altar' next?

This sounds like it could lead to scumming. Maybe just replace zealots with monk being able to pick any god from the start?

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

The biggest problem with extended is that consists of one very specific question, "how do I handle torment?", because there are limited ways of dealing with it at the tactical level and it's the only thing that poses a threat to endgame HP and defenses.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

The problem with torment is there's no way to mitigate it at a tactical level. How you're going to deal with it is entirely a strategic chose and represents a small subset of character builds (firestormers, undead/gargoyle, DDoor/lichform, kiku, and TSO/mahk).

Sage Grimm posted:

I know it feels big when Torment from a smite on the edge of vision reduces your current hp by half in a single turn. It's the perception of the attack rather than the impact. Flaying is similar but there's a recourse: kill the flaying ghost to return your health. The impact is about the same but the perception isn't nearly as bad because you can fix it without dipping into consumables.

So Torment could be changed to Soul Flay and have the attack split off part of your soul as an actual object that can be picked up in your line of sight, lasting long enough that tactically it can be picked up in a fight but will dissipate if you don't do it immediately after the engagement. And either the item on pick up increases HP immediately or has a regen effect (dependent on the loss) that stays until the lost health is regained. Gives the player recourse and decision making rather than "well, guess I'm waiting around 30-40 turns after this fight is complete in Hell/Pan."

This seems like a good direction to examine. It also deals with how much of extended is waiting for your HP to fill back up after getting hit with torment once.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Or if you wait too long to shaft and drop three floors right into a group of reds with 30% health.

The real pro strat is to walk up a flight of stairs or two and then shaft yourself

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

A Demigod speccing int has only three more points than a Deep Elf, and that's ignoring the level disadvantage and before accounting for the apt difference and not having access to veh/sif.

Demigods get 18 stat points while standard 3's and 4's races get 15 so demigods only have a noticeable stat advantage if the build takes advantage of their 11/12/11 spread start (most races start with ~24 total points). Demigods feel like they run out of steam in the endgame when characters feel the need to rely on their specializations and god powers. Chei (+45 total stats) is a much more fun take on the "stat god" experience.

It might be more interesting to take Demigod's drawback (which is good) and put it somewhere else. How about

code:
Deep Dwarf

Deep Dwarves are a race of short, blind mammals adapted to cave life. Having never ventured above ground they cannot see far and have no concept of gods. They wear armour like a second skin to cover their soft pale flesh.

10/10/7 (+1 str or int on the 4's)

-1 LOS, SInv, Passive Mapping at 1/9/18, -2 ER at 1,7,14,21

-1 Fighting, -2 Weapon Skills (except axes and M&F which are -1)
 1 Armour
-1 Dodging
 3 Stealth
 1 Shields

-1 Spellcasting
 0 Conj
 1 Hexes
-1 Charms
-1 Summonings
 1 Necromancy
 0 Tloc
 1 Transmutation

0 Fire
 0 Ice
-3 Air
 2 Earth
 1 Poison

2 Evo

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Human apts might be a bit too good. Maybe change weapon apts, elemental magic, and transmutations from -1 to 0 but keep everything else the same?

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah I think there is a pretty fundamental issue with gods as they're implemented in this game. The idea of roguelikes is there's replayability because you get different stuff each time and you have to adapt to it, but there are a bunch of massively powerful gods that you can always take and lean on as your main way to win difficult fights for the entire game. It is a choice, but it's basically the same choice every game.

Dg's design means you have to adapt to and use the books you find to replace the utility you'd otherwise gain from a god. Good stats and flat apts allow you to pick up whatever schools you want. Power level is a separate issue, but if you give a Dg elementalist a try I think you'll find they're not really that weak.

I've played DgAE and I've played TeAE^Veh and it's like being a guy rubbing wool socks on a carpet versus being loving Zeus.

I agree with IronicDongz that Dg mostly works as a concept but they could use a bit of an apt boost to be able to take advantage of their stats and what floorgod provides.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I get why demigods have an xp modifier but I'd be okay with removing xp modifiers as a whole as it's a poorly communicated relic of D&D that apart from demigods is always -1, 0, or 1.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Players spend a significant amount of time optimizing their inventory but the game rarely produces a situation where survival is decided by the 52nd most important item in your inventory. Most things (healing, curing, blinking, teleportation...) are no-brainers.

My solution would be that potions, scrolls, and evocables are moved to their own menus and given letters that stay constant between games. So you'd press q and see something like

a - 2 potions of healing
b - 3 potions of curing
c - 1 potion of might
A - 2 fizzy blue potions
B - 1 gray potion

These menus would also have shortcuts for controlling autopickup. For evocables it also solves the problem of a HOM doing optimization with wand stacking.

Spellbooks would either be moved to [p]eruse (they're only in [r]ead for fluff/historical reasons anyway) or get a similar system where any spellbook that's walked over is automatically read and added to a spell library.

Now that food has been consolidated and there's no more inventory optimization it could probably be moved to its own counter ("you have 2 chunks and 1 ration").

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

The removal of scrolls of recharging has an upside in that it means wands no longer need to be balanced against each other.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

The trouble seems to be trying to form a flavorful thematic link between holy wrath (normally associated with TSO) and berserk (normally associated with Trog).

My attempt would be

the +10 eudaemon blade "Gjallarhorn" {holy, *Rage rN+ EV+3}

and change the -Stealth to a 20-30 noise "The walls shake as the Gjallarhorn calls you to battle!" effect when the berserk is triggered.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Teal posted:

I know it's not (after making sure by googling it) but I'd automatically presume Gjallarhorn is a random syllable soup tbh

Yeah looking through the unrands they've done a pretty good job of ensuring everything is either understandable through the direct meaning of the English name or a reference to Crawl's internal mythology. So unless it's shifted to an either all holy or all berserk theme Sword of the Zealot is probably the best that can be done.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I've been kicking around an idea for a hybrid restriction. Currently we have merfolk (forces hybridization due to weak armour and conjurations), gnoll (can't specialize), and chei (you can do everything at the expense of not being able to walk away when you gently caress up). But nothing really represents the ravager archetype where you drop a few powerful spells before wading into melee. Tengu is close, but then you're generally either heavy melee (so you can wear armour) or a blaster caster with melee as a backup.

What if a species had a very low MP modifier, e.g. -40 or -50%, but at this price got great spellcasting apts?

I tried applying it to the "blind dwarf" concept I had earlier

pre:
Pale Dwarf

Pale Dwarves are a race of short blind mammals adapted to cave life. They wear armour like a second skin to protect and give shape to their grub-like flesh. They are adept spellcasters but have little energy to sustain it.

10/10/4 (+1 str or int on the 4's)

-2 LOS, SInv, Passive Mapping at 1/9/18, -2 ER at 1,7,14,21

-40% MP (+1 at first level)

-2 Fighting
-1 Short Blades
-2 Long Blades
-1 Axes
-2 Maces & Flails
-2 Polearms
-2 Staves
-1 Unarmed

-1 Throwing
-1 Slings
-2 Bows
 0 Crossbows

2 Armour
-2 Dodging
 3 Stealth
 1 Shields

-1 Spellcasting
 2 Conj
 1 Hexes
 0 Charms
-1 Summonings
 1 Necromancy
 0 Tloc
 3 Transmutation

2 Fire
 0 Ice
-2 Air
 2 Earth
 1 Poison

-1 Invo
 1 Evo
I figure there would be a couple different ways to play this. You could go buff up before fights, use conjurations to soften enemies up, use Veh/Sif to get around the MP limitations, go Trog/Oka/Ash and power through the melee apts, go transmuter (likely sub-optimal as it leaves the armour bonuses on the table)...

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Against many enemies, I would probably kite to regain MP rather than switch to melee. But you could always make them slow to prevent this.

Making them 1.1 movespeed wouldn't punish them hugely in most situations(normal enemies only get 1 extra attack per every 10 tiles moved. much better than nagas, which are bad not because they're slow, but because they're really slow at 1.4 movespeed and then also have bad defenses for much of the game, so please don't say it'd be another naga), but would prevent kiting around normal speed enemies for the length of time required to regain MP.

I would give them a spellpower boost innate mutation in exchange though I think. Incentivizes using spells that care about spellpower, like damage spells, and makes you get a lot for your MP.

e: on the other, crazier hand, you could make them like an inverse deep dwarf. Instead of not regenerating HP unless they sacrifice MP(but having damage shaving), they don't regenerate MP unless they sacrifice HP(but are super loving good at using it-ER reduction, spellpower boost, +3 apts across the board, you name it).

I thought about slow movespeed as part of the theme but as you expected incorrectly dismissed it as Naga-lite (just as I dismissed blurry vision as Formicid-lite). You're right that 1.1 eliminates kiting and changes luring to "reposition in a nearby corridor" from "a Benny Hill chase across the level to the one murder hole".

I should probably also nerf their Evo because the Staff of Energy is incredible even on species that don't have MP penalties.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I think Ash is actively bad. Gaining piety with her is locked behind multiple layers of RNG (you need remove curse and armor/jewelry to curse) and in the average case I've found myself halfway through lair essentially atheist except wearing a bunch of cursed stuff because her skill boost still hasn't kicked in. She's powerful once she gets going but she might as well not exist until after lair because of the slow piety.

My proposed fix if I were king of crawl would be to preserve her maximum skill boosts (i.e. at max piety fully bound, no changes). At 0 stars of piety you get 1/7 of the boost, increasing by another 1/7 each star you gain. If you aren't bound at all, you get 3/4 of the boost you'd get from being fully bound, increasing linearly as you bind more items in that category. So your magic skills would go 3/4 5/6 11/12 full as you go from unbound to 1, 2 and all 3 jewelry slots cursed.

I like the idea of smoothing the skill boosts.

RNG could probably be mitigated by making her curse ability not consume a scroll. It's a weird singleton interaction and is backwards from a gameplay perspective as an Ash player is going to be consuming more remove curse scrolls than a normal player anyway.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I lost my first extended FoFi in discopan because I listened to goon lies and didn't abandon Okawaru. A puny giant isn't going to scratch you through your large shield and plate mail and TSO is immensely more useful in extended because it allows you to heal-on-kill through torment.

icantfindaname posted:

Am I correct in thinking that it's basically required to switch to TSO and/or Zin in order to do a 15 rune run? Am I just small minded, weak willed and afraid of malmutate?

The keys to extended are
1. Mitigating torment
2. Reducing the surface of vulnerability (the amount of time you spend exposed with low HP or MP)

So TSO and Zin are good general choices, Mahkleb is good for melee, and Sif and Veh are good for casters. You can 15 rune with any god but extended is poorly balanced with respect to god choice and character builds.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Teal posted:

Question: Is there any conceptual reason why there's no Scrolls of Brand Armor and no Scrolls of Enchant Jewelry? Have they used to exist and have been removed, or never existed? Is there any reason why they shouldn't exist?

The official reason given for Scroll of Brand Armour is that by far the optimal use would be boots so you could get the running ego.

Even if running were removed I don't think it'd be relevant enough to be a scroll type. (perhaps "scroll of brand equipment"?) Brand Weapon has an important smoothing effect in that every melee fighter relies on getting a decent weapon of a specific type while having a solid melee weapon makes or breaks a fighter while armour is much more generic, a spectrum (you can use any type vaguely around your desired armour class), and there are multiple ways to get the effects enchanted armour pieces provide.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Teal posted:

I kinda wanna start coding a dumb basic heuristic bot that will play all the way to Lair for me through sheer brute force of trying thousand runs a minute and just surviving through sheer tabbing once upon a while.

Botting in Crawl is interesting because it's almost entirely done server-side via .rc file scripting.

If you want to know more I'd recommend checking out qw, which unless I've missed something is still the most prominent bot (~15% winrate for 3-rune, ~1% winrate for 15 rune).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

meatpath posted:

OK recruiting for team. I'm shooting for 5-10 wins myself this run (which will probably be to 5-10 GrFi wins.)

Team is: Pictures of Ru

Going to be taking it easy this year but sign me up

1. Thalamas
2. hito
3. cliffracer

• Locked thread