Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
not if you never use MP

or if MP is just HP because you always wear guardian shield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I mentioned removing vault rune lock earlier and despite not caring about anything else you posted I still firmly think it should be done, there's no need to railroad players into making "smart" progression paths. If they want to do something more dangerous, let them.

almost all the removed unrands were actually just garbage, dagger of chilly death being a good example. strictly worse than stuff you can commonly find. adding and buffing them would be an option, though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I love the vault lock and I think it does make you choose a more dangerous path, because you gotta do the bottom floor of the rune vault as like, a distinct midboss level with a limited amount of "safe" experience. Letting the player do the first floors of vaults and then depths before snake:4 makes the latter way less interesting.
I never ever did anything like that

seems like a big waste of time, snake 4 is not that dangerous

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Devlan Mud posted:

Oklobs are one of the nastier threats that can't see invisibility, I would never try to take them down in Lair without invis.
you can always just walk away from oklobs, friend

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
shields are good period, on basically any melee character. after playing a whole ton of characters with and without shields, IMO whether the upsides of a shield are worth not having a 2H weapon is pretty subjective-and if you don't yet have a worthwhile 2H weapon, and aren't casting spells, there's no reason to not have a shield other than not having one. a normal shield is worth wearing even with no shield skill, and a large shield is worth it starting at like ~15 in my experience.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sage Grimm posted:

Change shining eyes and orbs of fire gaze attacks to fire off mutagenic clouds similar to the stoning ones from catoblepas. Bam, done, don't linger in them.
That makes them more dangerous, though. Either you move each time it does it, and the OoF gets free attacks on you each time it forces you to move, or you don't move and you get mutated more than you would vs. an OoF with regular malmutate.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I hope it ends up on berotato sometime, because CPO is very laggy for me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Sometimes it hangs for over a full second after an input for me

Turtlicious posted:

I'm getting into this again, what's a good set of stuff to put in the init file?
auto_butcher = true

default_manual_training = true

autofight_stop = 60

force_more_message += wielding.*of distortion
force_more_message += of distortion.*comes? into view
force_more_message += hits you.*distortion

runrest_stop_message += Your transformation is almost over.

#tile_player_tile = mons:training dummy
(^replace the monster name with whatever you want for gimmickz)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The bullfrog hits you but does no dacastercrab.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Floodkiller posted:

:lol: Araganzar's definitely got some work to do on crablang.
there are some things which are very choice

and some other things which aren't, but I almost don't want fixed

e:

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 31, 2018

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
train weapon skill and fighting at first, probably more weapon skill than fighting. later on train armor/dodging.
simple way to do it would be turning on weapon/fighting at the start of the game, weapon focused, and then once fighting hits 10 turn it off and turn on either armor/dodging until that hits 10, etc(still training weapon skill until it hits mindelay).

if you get good wands/evocables and wanna use them train some evo.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I basically just raise Str. Definitely raise more str than dex on any character that is going to use heavy armor(aka any non-spellcaster).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If you have a rC+ ring to swap on when ice enemies show up, fire scales would be good for zot.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Both are useful, but unless you play very carefully orbs of fire will kill you without rF

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Broadly speaking, you don't wanna sit on enchant scrolls very long. At the very least if you have unenchanted aux armor(boots, gloves, hat/helmet, cloak) you should max them out, you might switch body armor but often you don't swap aux armor pieces.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
This has always been true. Hex wands especially rule

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
draconian is easy 1st race to win as caster

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
harps are pretty crazy btw

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I have the opposite problem. If I just marathon a game I rarely gently caress up, but if I save and come back later I'm out of my groove and usually quickly splat

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Unimpressed posted:

Phone posting so don't have the syntax but you can add a line to your rc that forces more when there is a distortion weapon.

force_more_message += wielding.*of distortion
force_more_message += of distortion.*comes? into view
force_more_message += hits you.*distortion

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Innate placid magic is much cooler than innate extra MR.

Granted, you could have both. But if it's one or the other I'd prefer the former.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I want worshipping Nemelex to give you a "hand" of cards you can play from which you sometimes draw a card for by gaining piety(or abilities), and which is totally separate from inventory. Big rework though.

Please do not make torment(or damnation) easier, postgame is already easy and slow.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
good

pan is tedious and boring and if I have no reason to do it I am all the happier for it

remembering the time I had to do over 40 levels of random pan to find the rune. never again dude

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 7, 2018

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm into it. I'm also into other dumb goofy stuff even so far as dual-wielding.

The only things I don't want in gooncrawl are for it to get (considerably)longer, and for it to be an easymode crawl.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That would probably be the most fun option, and what's funny about it is that it would incentivize goons to actually play smartly and not try to kill every unique

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Are -1s across the board with a few -2s really that crushing compared to the loss of religion? I don't avoid Demigods because they've got mediocre aptitudes, I avoid Demigods because without a religion there's absolutely nothing interesting to do in the game. Half the fun is getting some crazy divine powers so you can do stuff like smite an entire horde of demons by yelling at them or oneshot uniques with the power of dance. The other half is using your particular race's gimmicks and working around their weaknesses. Demigods don't really get either.
Not having a religion is what makes them interesting, you need to rely so much more on other available things like spells and evocations in a way you simply wouldn't normally.

don't change demigod's gimmick. you can give them better apts but please don't go to crazy with them bc I like them a lot as they are

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

PMush Perfect posted:

Which is pretty drat hard to do when everything is -1.

Seriously, can we put "as-is", "human", and "human +1", in the next poll, FK? It's an easy change.
Demigod apts being -1 only makes things kinda harder.

Like I said, I'm fine with boosting the apts, but it's not really a big deal. Some species can be worse than normal. It's ok.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, I guess I'd agree that the issue is that they're both bad and boring. At least humans also get the choice of which god to use based on their earlygame.
but demigods aren't boring though :(

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

cheetah7071 posted:

I also personally found demigods more appealing when their stats were chei lite rather than a single one being sky high. They absolutely need an aptitude boost though. Same with mummies.
It's only a single one being sky high if you choose to level their stats that way...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

rchandra posted:

Yeah, but they lost 4 stat points in order to let/make you do that.
True, but they're highly customizable in terms of stats as a result. You can make a huge beefmonster by going Fi and only leveling Str(not smart, but you can!), you can have enormous int as a blaster, you can have a spread between str/int to cast well in armor, you can mix high int and high dex...

rchandra posted:

These Dg religion gimmicks make me sad though, the species is fundamentally fine and elegant as is.
Strongly, strongly agree. Please don't tack a bunch of gimmicky powers onto Dg. Having less options is exactly what makes demigod interesting, it means you have to rely on and adapt to the random items you find to a degree that you never normally experience in crawl. You can't just finesse or brothers in arms or yred/kiku airdrop a bunch of allies on yourself for minimal investment. That's why demigod is cool. It's a pure, simple crawl experience, and that makes you take advantage of things you wouldn't normally use.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I feel stat spreads are really misleading because HP is just vastly more important than any of the others. Like with -1 apts you just have to put ~20% more xp into things, while with HP you just die more.
This is also true. People get scared of a negative number and don't realize that it doesn't have that big of an impact on the way you play.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's not boring to have less options. more stuff is not always better, when you have really loving strong options like you do with many gods it makes your decision making less varied.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I mean my position is, granted, not really normal because I've played this game a fuckton but once you've spent some time speedrunning with the busted stuff because it's so powerful that even when you're playing like an idiot on purpose for time's sake you can still get away with it, it kinda makes it feel pointless. even though I don't really play all that seriously anymore.

like, when people talk about casters being bad in comparison to melee... it's not so much that casting is weak, but that melee+strong god is so so good and so so simple. when you have that option taken away so many spells start to look a lot more enticing, and then you have stats to use them more easily while wearing armor too! it's a whole different kind of decision making, makes it feel like a very different game. demigods are cool.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

GeneX posted:

I don’t like limiting god choice, because people being unable to stop themselves from picking the best choice of all things forever is a player issue, not a game issue.
imposing limitations on the player is the heart of game design and roguelikes are most fun when both
a). you feel pressed to try your hardest to win(due to the pressures the game puts on you to try and make you lose), and
b). trying your hardest to win is not horribly unfun

if I need to stop myself from using strong stuff in order for the game to be tough... that's just not as fun as the feeling of using everything available to scrounge up a win against all odds.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 11, 2018

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
as an aside, let me put something forward: if we take it as a given that really really strong combos should exist as a crutch for new players, aka the "don't nerf trog so new players can get their 1st win more easily" argument(which I'm not totally convinced of but many are), the inverse of that should also apply: weak species/combos should also exist as a challenge for veteran players.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Oh, and for things that aren't just disagreeing with other people's ideas:

-I think hellcrawl gave Mak a hellfire ability, which is cool and flavorful. Makes demonic worshipper non-demon enemies who can use hellfire make more sense, too.
-If "damage of a random element" is no longer a mak thing, being replaced by hellfire, it could be something that Veh does instead, both to make Veh more of an active god and also because Veh already gifts you random spells, so casting random spells fits. Since Veh has no active abilities at all, I think it would make sense for this to be an activated buff connected to spells.
So for example, it could be something like "Chaotic Destruction". High piety cost. When active, whenever you cast a spell, Veh also casts another random damaging spell of a lower level(but not a ton lower) than the one you cast at a random enemy in range. So if you cast bolt of fire, maybe veh would cast stone arrow at a nearby enemy. If you cast chain lightning, Veh could cast iron shot at something. etc.
It could also be a passive chance to do something like this tied to piety instead of an active, but I'd be less interested.

No idea what degree of spellpower/duration/cost/relative level of spell this would need to be remotely balanced, but it'd be cool. I always tend to think anything that lets you get more effects out of a single action, or "chain reaction" things are fun.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 11, 2018

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
My opinion wrt caster gods is that I'm fine with any of them besides Kiku recieving a buff, because as I said earlier right now no spell melee character with strong god is so powerful and simple in comparison to spellcasters.
Even with a strong buff, Veh will be quite a bit weaker than Trog. And Sif is just nowhere near. I don't have any thematic buff ideas for Sif but I feel they could really use one.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
To return to an earlier thing, if demigods are reflavored I would rather they be "Homunculus" or something like that instead of golem or construct because I'd rather they not overlap with gargoyles in flavor/resists. Can be artificial humanlike creatures rejected by the gods due to their unnatural creation by a wizard or whatever.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Fedhas giving you forms would be a lot cooler than "god of stationary allies that you kite enemies to".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Fedhas is already really really strong, just also boring. And there's already so many ally gods in crawl.

• Locked thread