Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Wow cool Floodkiller, I didn't see that you made a fork, that's awesome. There's a bug in it though - it seems you have based it off the wrong crawl.

For real though, I would rather have djinni back than any of those things....if I code it will you merge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

World Famous W posted:

I was going to say that someone else started a second team and was looking it up. It was you. I'm sorry. :doh:

but doctor I am pagliacci

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I think rMut should stay gone. Either enemies causing mutations is interesting enough that everyone should have to deal with it, or they shouldn't do it. The new amulets are way more interesting.

rMut on a fixedart or something would be cool

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I love the vault lock and I think it does make you choose a more dangerous path, because you gotta do the bottom floor of the rune vault as like, a distinct midboss level with a limited amount of "safe" experience. Letting the player do the first floors of vaults and then depths before snake:4 makes the latter way less interesting.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Half of Dracula posted:

I hate to limit any player choice for non-gameplay reasons but the rune lock is also really good flavor-wise to me. Granted, Zot already has an explicit three-rune lock but the idea of these "Vaults" being similarly guarded gives it a difference impression than just being another branch.

I think the vault runelock is better for the game than the zot runelock is, honestly. It'd be cool if you could dive straight on through D, depths, and zot and never go to a branch.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

apple posted:

Speaking of which, I always found it weird/disappointing that Abyss:5 has nothing special other than increased spawn rates, maybe it could be put to use by placing a special portal to Zot there as a shortcut :getin:

gently caress yeah

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Malmutate as it is is definitely "extremely sparingly". It seems like more often not I don't get any malmutations outside of Zot. Item destruction was harsh because you had to always be vigilant, malmutators have been rare since monster polymorph was changed. (I don't do extended though, maybe that's the difference.)

No worries though, my fork would disregard your opinions on my religious beliefs, as well.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'd like it if it were functionally a runelock that provides for entertaining stories if you somehow manage it. I'd want it to be as extreme as every monster in vaults having the convoker "summon poo poo to me" power.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

nerdy request incoming

I'd like to be able to vote "I actively like the current way it is" in addition to or instead of the more passive "don't care" button. You're kind of making all proposals default to "yes" because you get a big list of choices, none of which are "how it is right now", and then a generic "whatever" button that only maybe means "I don't like this". It'd be even better if you didn't mention which of the options was the current behavior and just described it blind like any other proposal and sorted them randomly. I think your fork is already gunning for the Powered by Spite banner and I totally understand why but I don't think you ought to push it further in that direction with your poll structure.

Can I propose "remove food"? I think you should remove food. I know people want to eat the purple - surely you could keep that in some way without any other food.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 12, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Another rune lock variant I thought of was forcing you to choose one of vaults, lair branch 1, and lair branch 2. As soon as you enter one, the others are locked until you get the rune. I'm not sure it quite works as a way to force an early rune though - maybe vaults has enough exp that it'll put you over the hump and let you do vaults 1-4, depths, vaults:5 which I think would be a shame.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Floodkiller posted:

Most of the recent polls and this current discussion have been focused in that direction because they fell under "Yes" or "Yes, with changes" on the December 20th feature request survey
(datasheet/graphs here). This survey did have the ability to vote No and keep the status quo (there was also a vote on removing food in there that failed).

For these features, it would be unfair to allow them a second Yes/No vote followed by rejection just because I held off on serious discussion of them until after v1.0 was out. Thus, "I don't like any of the above" is the rejection option. If that gets the majority in runoff voting, I'll pull it off the implementables for v2.0 and run it through another discussion for the version afterward. If something sticks on that list of "Yes, with changes" for too long without a decision, then I'll consider taking it off. For things in the "Yes" category that weren't implemented, I will hold off on v2.0 until design is decided and solidified.

I mentioned before that I avoid voting in the polls to keep my own bias out of the fork (aside from programming workaround designs or Malmutate). However, I will admit I have never taken a class or studied proper poll formatting to limit/reduce bias as much as possible. I really don't want to make more of a job out of polling than it currently is to figure out how to rephrase questions/answers to disguise current behavior and avoid bias. If you are offering to take over, I'd be glad to hand it off as long as I can still host the poll itself in order to verify data integrity and validity.
I honestly missed(or maybe forgot) this first poll and I'm sorry for assuming, that's my bad. This addresses my concerns, thank you. I'm happy to offer input but I think it's really cool that you're spending your personal time on a cool crawl fork for the thread - I have no desire to step on your toes.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Oh man - rewarding unique kills sounds really good to me, though I think you'd still have to do it only for "level-appropriate" uniques. I think there's already an incentive to skip them and so turning that on its head would be great.

You could do it in the form of a "duel" ability that plops you in a completely enclosed arena that can't be teleported out of, thunderdome rules. If you win you get a randart and the walls drop, if you lose, you lose. (Maybe your heroism skill bonus could start lower but go up once for every 3 uniques killed? Or 3/4/5/etc for successive ones?)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

World Famous W posted:

...skip... uniques???

*I* don't do it generally, though I gotta be pretty confident to take on floor 2 sigmund. Certainly some of them give me pause at their minimum depths like nikola, gastronak, mara, menkaure, any naga, etc. It'd be cool to be rewarded with a randart for my trouble.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Spellbooks should have been goldified forever ago.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

let trog permanently remove a spell from your "library" to throw a flame cloud on any square with damage/duration proportional to the spell level

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Wait what's wrong with malmutate in the endgame? Orbs of fire making every endgame character into a horrible mutant is very thematic and cool for the ending of the "get the crazy artifact" quest in a way that other sources weren't. It doesn't affect any given character for very many of their turns - I don't see the downside at all.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

if you exit through floor 27 the rest of the dungeon becomes corrupted with little pockets of abyss around

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I wouldn't have proposed it without that.

Hell if you're worshipping lugonu, maybe you have to escape through 27 floors of abyss instead of dungeon - that's where you started after all.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Gargoyle is pretty fun too and trivializes a bunch of early game threats.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I think rods work well as wands and finding and switching up which effects you have over the course of the game is pretty cool if you regularly use the wands you find. Totally down for more wand generation with pakellas if we went that route.

Pakellas-only rods would be cool but a lot of effort for a single god.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I don't bother playing extended as it currently is but my own musing is that it should be a tower of 4 or 5 levels, each being a random hell lord/unique pan lord level. You choose to escape through hell instead of the dungeon and it's a one-way trip. Maybe you need the rune on each level to open the next floor. So this way, instead of a super-long slog greatly increasing the length of the game, it's a double-or-nothing challenge dungeon where you gotta bet that your character is strong enough to win before you go in.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It's such a fundamental change that it's hard to propose but I actually now love hellcrawl's lack of backtracking. I move forward unafraid.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Honestly just delete extended and spend dev time on the good part of the game.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

heard u like girls posted:

Actually, dont delete anything and just add stuff back in imo :P
Then he has to waste his valuable time collating and organizing votes on a part of the game that most characters never see. I also don't think that part of the game is very fun or rewarding for characters who are strong enough to take it on, it's no loss to me personally. :shrug: I think a more tightly focused game would be more fun and he'll have much more room to add stuff in places where people will see it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

World Famous W posted:

What's the good part? Because early dungeon till about lair rune branches is boring poo poo o seen thousand times before.

But I enjoy extended. Or I did before the main branch started to trim tools to deal with it.

It's me, I'm the crazy guy who like pan and the final levels of hell but that's because the best part of the game to me is fighting the hell/pan lords. Probably why o smash my head against early uniques instead of smartly walking away.
The early dungeon is the most tense interesting part of the game if you play to win, imo. The threats are very distinct and real and numerous. I can't really fathom enjoying crawl as a game if you don't like those tense moments where you gotta flee an orc priest or gnoll pack or run into an inopportune ogre around a corner. The remainder of the game has much less tension, there are a million answers to any threat because you have all these wands/consumables/spells/god powers/etc. At the beginning of the game where it's just you, a few lucky drops, and your movement, the game is much more tense and difficult and interesting to me than all the rest of it combined.

I guess you could skip all that if you just hit tab and don't care about dying in early floors. That will sometimes work but I can't say I recommend it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

World Famous W posted:

I literally tab (or spell spam) early dungeon because I don't care until I get some sort-of intresting gear/spells. It gets tense when I am fighting in the end of a zig and have a good number of hours and a powerful hero on the line. Before than it is just starting class whatever with one or two pieces of middling gear.
I think this is pretty odd - it's fine if you like to play the game this way but I think I would have quit 100 times over if things only became interesting to me when I got to a ziggurat. Why do you bother with all that game before that? That's many hours invested into a character before you feel anything. Why not just wizmode to that point, or play zigsprint, or find some other means of getting to the part you like that aren't "suffer through the first six hours"? Maybe you should suggest things that would make the beginning more interesting to you - after all clearly you have to do it many times for every character you get to "the fun part" with, improving it even a little will still clearly have a huge effect on you even if its not your favorite part, simply by virtue of the volume of times you do it..

The beginning of the game is just as tense and interesting and difficult if you care about dying and you don't have to go through a million levels of lair to even get a chance at the fun part. I think it's the best part of crawl and has been forever.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

the demonspawn packs can go in depths :getin:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Jazerus posted:

i don't know about you but one of the things i liked about crawl 10 years ago was the way that some properties, like rpois, had non-obvious extra effects like that

if you cut everything interesting in the name of reducing "potential" tedium, you get, well, crawl as it is now
Features should pay rent in terms of adding interesting choices to the player. This adds no choice at all, just a boring thing you do before eating some sorts of corpses, while food itself barely passes the sufficiently-interesting hurdle.

I don't think the point of the fork is that "removing things is bad". "Removing some things was bad" is more like it, at least to me. You don't get to skip the part where you really deeply consider whether a given feature is worth the complexity it adds and the behavior it encourages. I mean, it's totally cool if you like fiddling with your rings before eating, but I'm gonna continue agitating against features like that because I don't like them.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 7, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'm all for making the orb run silly and thematic in ways that I'd never approve of in the regular games. Maybe every unique joins your posse as you leave together, cowed by your glory.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I like demigods as they are. I'm totally down for changing their name and doing something else with the idea of a demigod though. Recruiting uniques or something would be a cool gimmick.

The ambrosia idea is cool too.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah I think there is a pretty fundamental issue with gods as they're implemented in this game. The idea of roguelikes is there's replayability because you get different stuff each time and you have to adapt to it, but there are a bunch of massively powerful gods that you can always take and lean on as your main way to win difficult fights for the entire game. It is a choice, but it's basically the same choice every game.

Dg's design means you have to adapt to and use the books you find to replace the utility you'd otherwise gain from a god. Good stats and flat apts allow you to pick up whatever schools you want. Power level is a separate issue, but if you give a Dg elementalist a try I think you'll find they're not really that weak.
I'd be down with only guaranteeing 9 altars or something instead of all of them, if that'd help.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GeneX posted:

I don’t like limiting god choice, because people being unable to stop themselves from picking the best choice of all things forever is a player issue, not a game issue.

What I’m saying is that you should stop and consume all the purple on every run

It's not so much that I don't trust the player not to pick the best one every time, it's that sometimes it might be interesting to be forced to choose among a few options. Maybe you've never answered the question of whether nemelex or kiku is more appropriate for your build before. I think it could be cool.

Trog would always be available by picking Be.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Totally down for Jiyva to be one of the gods, though I admit I really liked Jiyva was great as a god of "remove annoying things" and a lot of those annoying things are gone now for everyone.

I think gods not quite being predetermined is kinda part of their thing, as opposed to race or background. You never choose a different god because you find their altar really early? I've had some pretty fun games where I use a god I wouldn't normally because I can get a bunch of piety starting at D:2. My idea was just a thought as to how you might have more of that.

You could increase the guaranteed range to D:12 or something also, so you can still get whoever but it's more of a trade-off. I think it might end up cool.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

cool and good options
- give demigods a boosted weapon skill at xl 1and 2 strongly boosted skills at xl 7 and 14
Sounds interesting and fun to play with if maybe OP.
I agree with your thumbs downs completely. Maybe for this thing it could be like, at each of levels 1, 7, and 14 you get either a boosted magic, weapon, or defense skill, and it's random which one you start with. Honestly I think it would be better on a new race though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah maybe food as a game clock is interesting, and maybe food as an ability limiter is interesting, but they definitely shouldn't be the same thing. As floodkiller says, there's enough perma-food to spam L9 spells with low spellcasting, that's not really a limitation. It might still be interesting within the course of a single fight - becoming starving in the middle of a fight could be disastrous, but there's already something preventing you from casting big spells too much in a fight - your MP bar. Thus, to me, the game clock is the only actually valuable purpose of food remaining.

I wonder what alternative ways we could have for pushing the player forward that aren't food. (The idea is to make it so waiting in a room for 1000 turns until a monster walks by at max range isn't optimal, like it is in DoomRL. I think that kinda works in doom but is bad for crawl.)

Maybe you could scale monsters XP rewards by how long many turns you've spent on the floor they spawned on. This way monsters slowly decay to not giving any XP if you dilly-dally too much. You're incentivized to kill stuff when you see it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 13, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I don't think that race is "simple" at all - it seems like the core simplifying idea is level 1 spells being free, why does it have 6 other weird properties? As someone said on tavern, give the lower mp cost mutation to deep elves and you have a much more reasonable simple caster species for new players. Though draconians are less simple I think they're an even better choice.

I think spriggans are also strictly better than the new species for new player casting - their lower aptitudes don't matter at all when they can freely reset early game fights as many times as they want. However, neither are them are simple in that playing them is very different from playing a "traditional" crawl species.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 14, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

baby delivery truck posted:

the only one annoyed by it?
Kinda think it's this? I know I've never felt menaced by orc wizards in vaults with daggers of draining. What does it change that you even notice? (I guess I assume you mostly play casters - I feel spell failure rate is the only effect of draining I'd ever notice past the early game and even then, it doesn't really affect the lower level bread-and-butter spells.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

baby delivery truck posted:

Yeah I mainly play hybrids, so the failure rate is very noticeable since my spells aren't usually at 1% to begin with. I guess it's just me, and that's fine. Just seems like draining is everywhere.
Well I can't speak for everyone else - it's generally not that noticeable to me but I don't typically do the hybrid things. I imagine there are a lot of effects that are proportionally worse for those who aren't extremely focused in their build.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

PMush Perfect posted:

Hybrids get hit especially hard by drain because not only does it hit every casting skill, it also hits Armor and, depending on race/build, Shields.

I don't think your AC or SH (or spellpower) being lower are all that noticeable though - they're mechanically hurtful in a long term statistical way but I can't really imagine being *annoyed* by it - certainly not in the way that failure rates could be. I think drain is cool but I'd be okay if it didn't affect spell failure rates if it still affected everything else. It's kind of an interface screw in that you kinda want to look at your failure rates after every group of monsters.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 15, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

rchandra posted:

But lowering Armour and especially Shields will hit your spell failure rates additional times. I often use shields underskilled and drain can quickly make them worse than not wearing. At least the interface portion has improved since spell failure rates get shown when targetting as well.

Right that's what I had in mind - all places that calculate spell failure rates would have to use pre-draining skill levels. It might still be optimal to take off your shield for accuracy reasons or something but I think that's a more reasonable consequence of drain than checking spell failure rates every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

summon forest *feels* like a god power imo

• Locked thread