Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ScrubLeague posted:

Rural Texas whites will not vote for someone named Beto. Cruz will be back because he triggers the libs.
Cruz is like Ryan in that his home state doesn't like him. the most spiteful white people live in the exurbs and not the rural parts, but as a whole, the GOP is losing some sway even there. it's increasingly looking like the only reason they can stay in power is because Texas is rigged to hell and back

on the other hand, "Texan" is shorthand for "dumb white Southern rear end in a top hat" so there's a good chance i'll be wrong

anime was right posted:

dems gonna lose by like 2 seats because they're garbage idiots
i think they'll win the House but definitely not by some ridiculous margin. i'll go with a 10 to 15 seat majority

also, hardly any House gains will be made in blue states with seats held by Republicans, on account that every idiot Democrat in that district will run in the primary and ensure that the shittiest candidate will win. example: i've looked over the candidates in the district held by Dan Donovan and the only guy who looks any good is some guy who makes props for TV shows. everyone else is NYPD or a veteran

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 07:20 on Jan 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

get that OUT of my face posted:

Cruz is like Ryan in that his home state doesn't like him. the most spiteful white people live in the exurbs and not the rural parts, but as a whole, the GOP is losing some sway even there. it's increasingly looking like the only reason they can stay in power is because Texas is rigged to hell and back

on the other hand, "Texan" is shorthand for "dumb white Southern rear end in a top hat" so there's a good chance i'll be wrong

Cornyn is a total shithead but he at least tries to be a Texan for whatever that is worth. Cruz makes no such attempts and is probably one of the more forgettable incumbents among his constituency.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the wrongest thread post lol

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Cornyn is a total shithead but he at least tries to be a Texan for whatever that is worth. Cruz makes no such attempts and is probably one of the more forgettable incumbents among his constituency.
Ted Cruz is a lot of things but "forgettable" isn't one of them. he is smug and entitled as hell, though

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
cruz wqould only lose if there was even less enthusiasm for him than there is currently and beto gets a surge

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Purple Texas dream incoming.

The thing about gerrymandering is that it's a double edged sword. As long as the population stays relatively constant, a minority party can win the state and control the legislature so that they can re-gerrymander next census. Well Texas is not a stagnant population, in fact:

Rank State 2010 Census 2017 %Change
1 Texas 25,145,561 28,304,596 +12.56%
2 North Dakota 672,591 755,393 +12.31%
3 Utah 2,763,885 3,101,833 +12.23%
4 Florida 18,801,310 20,984,400 +11.61%
5 Colorado 5,029,196 5,607,154 +11.49%
6 Nevada 2,700,551 2,998,039 +11.02%
7 Washington 6,724,540 7,405,743 +10.13%
8 Arizona 6,392,017 7,016,270 +9.77%
9 Idaho 1,567,582 1,716,943 +9.53%
10 South Carolina 4,625,364 5,024,369 +8.63%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_population_growth_rate

Thus 2018/2020 has a high chance of backfiring assuming, of course, the Democrats aren't a waste. But they are, so most contests will be token gestures with zero support from the national party, and the supported candidates will be indistinguishable from the incumbent.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

i think more high-ranking democrats than we think have gotten tired of tying their political fortunes to losers like the clintons and want to do things on their own terms (which may or may not be different than the direction that they've gone in for the past quarter-century... oh who am i kidding, there's no "may not" about it). there was a lot of shuddering among them when hillary released her book where she said she effectively learned nothing, and even a lot of people in congress from NY said she needs to shut up and they won't support her if she runs again

but that's for 2020. in 2018 i think both Paul Ryan and Ted Cruz will lose. Ryan's Democratic challenger is actually pretty good imo. he's Randy Bryce, a union iron worker who can stand on the bankruptcy of republican efforts to gently caress over healthcare due to his mom dying of cancer. he's getting a lot of support and exposure from the Working Families Party, who started up their branch in Wisconsin only two years ago. plus, Ryan has been shown to be really unpopular in his district and polls have him with only a very narrow lead

as for Cruz, i think O'Rourke will get the Dem nomination and thump him. some parts of Texas were the only parts of the country in 2016 where Democrats flipped counties from red to blue, and that was with a lovely candidate like Hillary. he's pro-Medicare For All so that's a huge plus

wait the dems are running a good dem against cruz!? I can be excited to vote!? in Texas!?

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
well i don't think The Dems are running Beto, but Beto is running as a dem.

I haven't gotten any Beto emails from the Texas Dems, so I assume they're mostly oblivious.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

oh so he’s going to lose and I can go back to drinking myself to death. a decent consolation prize tbh

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

ScrubLeague posted:

well i don't think The Dems are running Beto, but Beto is running as a dem.

I haven't gotten any Beto emails from the Texas Dems, so I assume they're mostly oblivious.

cspam is a great place for adult americans with strong political views to learn what a primary is

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

i bet the dems will gently caress it up

welcum 2 da democratic party

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Texas Dems are notorious cartoon idiots who run into rakes and fall into holes.

But Beto is cool and should give Cruz a good fight.

Beto is running a real rear end campaign, touring the state and hitting underserved areas. Texas Dems don't know what campaigning is. The mere thought of having to run against anybody gives them the willies.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
i dont trust polls as long as people get energized to vote

if there is a trump factor in all of this insanity is that there's political engagement otherwise if the olds only vote, you just see the reds fill the seats again

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Frijolero posted:

Texas Dems are notorious cartoon idiots who run into rakes and fall into holes.

But Beto is cool and should give Cruz a good fight.

Beto is running a real rear end campaign, touring the state and hitting underserved areas. Texas Dems don't know what campaigning is. The mere thought of having to run against anybody gives them the willies.

Good

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I like that Beto is touring the state and visiting areas politicians usually wouldn’t even stop to use the bathroom in but I don’t know how many votes it will get him.

I also have no idea how most people here in Texas really think about Ted Cruz or whoever else because everyone I talk to is either extremely online or suburban white old fart who doesn’t trust the FAKE NEWS liberal media. one of my coworkers was legitimately scared that St. Louis was being considered for our emergency offsite office if another hurricane comes because apparently the BLM thugs will mug you three times as you walk from your door to your car or something. Dems will spend all their money and energy trying to reach him instead of getting more left people to the polls.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Texas has laughably low voter participation because A) people have resigned themselves, B) Democrats are boring losers who nobody wants to vote for.

Cruz is hugely unpopular, but he wins because Republicans vote, and Democrats/Independents don't vote. Someone like Beto, who is reaching non-voters and is exciting, has a realistic chance of winning.

I don't think the Democrats are wrong when they say that Texas could be Purple/Blue, it's just that they don't have what it takes to win.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Frijolero posted:

Texas has laughably low voter participation because A) people have resigned themselves, B) Democrats are boring losers who nobody wants to vote for.

Cruz is hugely unpopular, but he wins because Republicans vote, and Democrats/Independents don't vote. Someone like Beto, who is reaching non-voters and is exciting, has a realistic chance of winning.

I don't think the Democrats are wrong when they say that Texas could be Purple/Blue, it's just that they don't have what it takes to win.

You gotta believe in a better future

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Comrayn posted:

I like that Beto is touring the state and visiting areas politicians usually wouldn’t even stop to use the bathroom in but I don’t know how many votes it will get him.

spoiler, it will get him a lot of votes

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Cruz is loving hated even by his own base especially after his 2016 performance. a lot of that base moved over to trump and began to despise him when he became so clearly desperate to win.

that said, still a republican in Texas and the Texas dems are garbage. but if Beto is a good dem...

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Beto still dips into bipartisan, wonky bullshit and he is not an authentically lifelong diehard progressive like Bernie or someone like Raul Grijalva, but his recent focus on "Berniecrat" campaigning and policies is good.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

http://www.thecrosstab.com/2018-midterms-forecast/

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Comrayn posted:

it'll get him a good amount. actually showing up to in areas that are typically ignored means a lot to the people living there. part of the reason why Doug Jones won was because he did a lot of outreach to black voters that Alabama democrats took for granted. as a result, he won more black voters than Obama got in 2012

Frijolero posted:

Beto still dips into bipartisan, wonky bullshit and he is not an authentically lifelong diehard progressive like Bernie or someone like Raul Grijalva, but his recent focus on "Berniecrat" campaigning and policies is good.
back in April Beto said he was pro-Medicare for All but didn't think it would ever happen. now he's endorsed it fully. at the very least he seems to know where the political winds are blowing

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
https://twitter.com/dcexaminer/status/949391580825378816

washington examiner and all, but that basically is brown re-elected.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's a good start.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

the race is tightening for some inexplicable reasons

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

the race is tightening for some inexplicable reasons

my guess is that tax cut passage (end of Dec.) means rich Rs come home at least until trump drops the n-word during the SOTU or something. not super alarming this far out considering we can count on trump to keep trumping through 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

we've seen a lot of evidence from Alabama that getting dumb white southern assholes to NOT vote republican is a herculean undertaking even when the candidate is a literal pedophile

even if they hate Cruz they'll definitely vote for him over a democrat

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

the senate map is hellish for dems but fortunately they only really need to tie the house to make the country basically ungovernable until 2020. ryan has to fight constantly to keep his head above water with a 20+ majority. dem wins will come at the expense of a healthy chunk of moderate Rs so even if gerrymandering lets the GOP squeak out a win it will be basically impossible for them to enact meaningful legislation and a perfect recipe for endless shutdown crises. of course it's still super important to flip the house so they can do actual oversight on the white house's vast, mind-boggling corruption instead of people like devin 'release the memo' nunes

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
lol if you really think the dems are going to make the country ungovernable rather than keep on trying to pass lovely-rear end deals that give the GOP 90% of what they want

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

lol if you really think the dems are going to make the country ungovernable rather than keep on trying to pass lovely-rear end deals that give the GOP 90% of what they want

that's why the dsa are doing god's work and primarying the poo poo out of them

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

CSPAM what have you done to me I'm agreeing with Ben Garrison cartoons

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So in the event of Trump just dropping dead, is that a good or bad thing for the GOP?

Having the Koch Brothers #1 homunculus as president obv bad, but let's talk about midterms

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Every single bad dem would trip over themselves to hail the ascension of the very sensible and good President Pence, followed by a thousand years of darkness.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Yinlock posted:

that's why the dsa are doing god's work and primarying the poo poo out of them
about the only race i know where a leftie dem is pulling his weight is Randy Bryce in Ryan's district. i heard of this guy in NJ-3 named Kim but his credentials are a bit of a mixed bag

no idea about primaries though

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

CSPAM what have you done to me I'm agreeing with Ben Garrison cartoons

Nah that's just the one time garrison accidentally managed to be more or less right.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Cerebral Bore posted:

it's not the dems that would make the country ungovernable, it would be the house GOP suicide caucus of which ryan would need every vote

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

is there any momentum to Ryan retiring before the midterm elections? that was reported a month or so ago and the wave of house republicans quitting has only increased since then

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

is there any momentum to Ryan retiring before the midterm elections? that was reported a month or so ago and the wave of house republicans quitting has only increased since then

he might have to fall on his sword to reopen the government at this point

the senate bill is somewhat tolerable but holy loving poo poo the house bill is unironically nazi levels of hosed up and there is no way ryan can hold onto his speakership if he doesn't keep the suicide caucus that wrote that bill happy

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

about the only race i know where a leftie dem is pulling his weight is Randy Bryce in Ryan's district. i heard of this guy in NJ-3 named Kim but his credentials are a bit of a mixed bag

no idea about primaries though

ironstache is the extremely rare case where the good dem hit all the checkboxes of what the dem party wants in a candidate:
- white
- male
- veteran
- can credibly vocalize "real america" signifiers

so the dem party got behind him and not some data center rear end in a top hat without too much of a fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

there was some centrist blogger that succlords were freaking out about running in the same primary as bryce but i haven't heard anything about him for months now so i assume bryce is winning