Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

intra-party opposition to right-wing democrat Dan Lipinski is heating up

quote:

Lipinski has secured critical support from the AFL-CIO but the backing of both SEIU and EMILY’s List — a major force in supporting women who support abortion rights — is likely to boost her resources and ability to get out her message. Lipinski has more than $1.6 million in the bank, compared to Newman’s $236,000. Today, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand is fundraising for Newman in Chicago.

Last month, two of Lipinski’s Chicago-area colleagues, Reps. Jan Schakowsky and Luis Gutiérrez, broke with congressional custom and endorsed Newman.

Other Newman backers include NARAL, MoveOn.org, Democracy for America, the Progressive Change Campaign Committee and the Human Rights Campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Gillibrand supporting the primary challenger is pretty interesting.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

Gillibrand supporting the primary challenger is pretty interesting.
for all the poo poo she gets, gillibrand has been going steadily left since she got to the senate, and she's kicked it into another level after trump got elected. she consponsored Medicare for All and talked about making the minimum wage $15 and legalizing weed up in Buffalo. i'm pretty sure that she also talked about overturning Citizens United but i'm not 100% sure

she's still not my first choice in 2020 but at least she's showing she knows where the winds are blowing

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 02:34 on Feb 12, 2018

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fallen Hamprince posted:

I Came My Pants Yelling at Someone On the Internet: A Crowsbeak Story

No over the phone. Really feels good when you can silence a neoliberal.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

get that OUT of my face posted:

for all the poo poo she gets, gillibrand has been going steadily left since she got to the senate, and she's kicked it into another level after trump got elected. she consponsored Medicare for All and talked about making the minimum wage $15 and legalizing weed up in Buffalo. i'm pretty sure that she also talked about overturning Citizens United but i'm not 100% sure

she's still not my first choice in 2020 but at least she's showing she knows where the winds are blowing

I can respect a politician with no ideals that has an ear to the ground tbh. Its the core DNC types that will never stray from corporate conservatism that are the worst

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Gillibrand has voted the most against trump out of any senator, including Warren and Sanders. If people really think she’s still just going through the motions or whatever because she’s secretly an upstate republican then every stereotype about left wing circular firing squads is true

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

I can respect a politician with no ideals that has an ear to the ground tbh. Its the core DNC types that will never stray from corporate conservatism that are the worst

Yeah that's what pragmatism should be all about

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Gillibrand has voted the most against trump out of any senator, including Warren and Sanders. If people really think she’s still just going through the motions or whatever because she’s secretly an upstate republican then every stereotype about left wing circular firing squads is true

or maybe people understand that voting the way people want you to is easy when you know your votes don't mean poo poo (like back when republicans constantly voted to overturn obamacare when they knew obama would use his veto)
the reason why you want people who agree with you in positions of power is so you don't have to pressure them constantly to behave the way they said they would, so you have someone who will do the right thing even when there aren't hundreds/thousands of their constituents calling their office and bitching

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

lol

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

She's in a strong position, but just lol if you trust any Democrat at the moment.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord of Pie posted:

actually i don't think she paid as much attention to focus groups this time around :thunk:

wow! black people sure love president bernie! actually, so does everyone, except jon bois but racist, and evergreen clinton campaign intern, who are both white. :thunk:

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I could vote Gillibrand, if Bernie doesn't run.

Are there any 2020 dems who are even slightly somewhat critical of our global military empire

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

It’s not meaningless to vote against something that is going to 100% pass, for the same reason it’s not meaningless to vote against a heavily favored incumbent in a primary. Also, last I checked those republicans voting lockstep against Obama won a huge election a year and a half ago

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dems don't want to vote lockstep against Trump.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Dems don't want to vote lockstep against Trump.

I don’t pretend for a second that the dems aren’t bad, but if the primary is warren-gillibrand-booker-castro-biden I’m not going to pretend my choice is hard

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Are there any 2020 dems who are even slightly somewhat critical of our global military empire

Tulsi

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

being a tankie isn't much better

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Tulsi arrives at good foreign policy positions for bad reasons, which I think is still better than believing in horrific ideas for the “right” reasons.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

bernie

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

has gillibrand had any explanation on pulling a total 180 since 11/9 and turning into a steadfast member of the sanders-warren caucus? or for that matter her shift from centrist dem to the left wing over her career? it would mollify a lot of concerns (and seperate her from the clearly craven and cynical moves of booker) if she was able to convincingly say that 11/9 made her recalibrate everything, like it did with basically every dem voter

i think the only time someone with cachet called her out on her big ideological shift was when the bad dem crowd yelled at her for being the most forceful at demanding franken resign which was a very good thing for her to do but also so clear-cut the right thing to do she didnt need to talk about her "evolution" on an issue

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

i dont give a gently caress what she thinks as long as she is voting correctly

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Shear Modulus posted:

has gillibrand had any explanation on pulling a total 180 since 11/9 and turning into a steadfast member of the sanders-warren caucus? or for that matter her shift from centrist dem to the left wing over her career? it would mollify a lot of concerns (and seperate her from the clearly craven and cynical moves of booker) if she was able to convincingly say that 11/9 made her recalibrate everything, like it did with basically every dem voter

i think the only time someone with cachet called her out on her big ideological shift was when the bad dem crowd yelled at her for being the most forceful at demanding franken resign which was a very good thing for her to do but also so clear-cut the right thing to do she didnt need to talk about her "evolution" on an issue

it was probably after she got redistricted from rural nowhere to a bunch of liberal towns

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

no

edit: perfect timing, here's a write-up of Gillibrand's 60 Minutes interview. apparently she was pretty anti-immigrant as well

i'd link a piece about how an eighth of Dan Donovan's campaign funding has come from unions, but it's behind a registration wall. the account is free but effort

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 03:19 on Feb 13, 2018

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I can get behind Gillibrand

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

Yeah it was going from being a rep of an R+2ish upstate district to senator of NY, to 2020 candidate

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i signed up for the website that had this article so i can put the text of it right here

quote:

Unions shore up New York City's lone GOP congressman
Organized labor PAC donations outstrip business interests' investment in Dan Donovan

Organized labor is putting its muscle behind the only Republican representing the five boroughs in Congress.

Almost one-eighth of the $872,262.66 Rep. Dan Donovan amassed last year came from union-affiliated political action committees, the latest filings with the Federal Election Commission show—and labor-connected entities make up the bulk of his biggest donors.

Particularly generous were the National Air Traffic Controllers Association, the International Union of Operating Engineers and the United Transit Union, which each gave $7,500. The Amalgamated Transit Union donated $6,000 and unions affiliated with the U.S. Postal Service wrote checks for a collective $9,500.

Donovan also received $5,000 each from PACs connected to the United Brotherhood of Carpenters, the International Longshoremen’s Association, the Communication Workers of America, the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers and the United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing, Pipefitting and Sprinkler Fitting Industry.

The only entities to donate comparably large amounts to the congressman’s campaign were the PACs of his GOP House colleagues, three industry-connected committees (the National Multifamily Housing Council PAC, the American Hospital Association PAC and the Council of Insurance Agents and Brokers PAC) and a smattering of individual donors from the fields of business and finance. The latter category included $5,400 from hedge-fund manager Daniel Loeb, $5,400 from billionaire investor Robert Ziff, $5,400 from private-security magnate Robert Tucker, $5,400 from developer Joseph Cayre and $5,400 from David Rich of the Greater New York Hospital Association.

Donovan’s Staten Island and southern Brooklyn constituency is perhaps the most heavily unionized in the nation, with around a third of all residents belonging to an organized labor local. Its predominantly white residents often hold conservative social but left-of-center fiscal views, and unions have historically maintained tight ties with its Republican and somewhat conservative Democratic elected officials.

The holder of the Staten Island congressional seat has often proven valuable to both business and labor in New York by providing a voice for city interests in the GOP conference, which has controlled the House for 19 of the past 23 years.

Endangering that value is Donovan’s Republican primary challenger, Michael Grimm, who held the seat from 2011 until 2015, when he pleaded guilty to felony tax evasion and was forced to resign by then-Speaker John Boehner.

A former union darling himself, Grimm is out of prison and running a hard-right campaign assailing Donovan for his votes against the 2017 tax reform package and the repeal of the Affordable Care Act.

On the Democratic side of the race, a raft of challengers have emerged, hoping to ride a blue wave in the fall attributable to President Donald Trump’s record unpopularity. They include Army veteran Max Rose, Marine Corps veteran Michael De Vito and former NYPD Officer Michael DeCillis, among others.

Nonetheless, the Cook Political Report has continued to rank Donovan’s district as “likely Republican,” its second safest rating.
staten island is very dumb and very spiteful

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Zoran posted:

Tulsi arrives at good foreign policy positions for bad reasons, which I think is still better than believing in horrific ideas for the “right” reasons.

She mostly arrives at good positions for good reasons, while incidentally ALSO holding bad opinions that would lead anyone else to bad positions.

"American imperialism mostly leaves the world and United States worse off. Also Muslims suck but don't bomb them because of the previous sentence."

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

i signed up for the website that had this article so i can put the text of it right here

staten island is very dumb and very spiteful

whitepeople.txt

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

is Tulsi interested in running in 2020 or shown any interest in doing so?

Gringostar posted:

whitepeople.txt
unions for me but not for thee. idk if that includes police unions because there are so goddamn many cops on that awful island hellhole

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the people who make electoral political decisions at the old big unions are often professional administrators with no connection or accountability to the rank and file who will decide to back lovely-but-favored-to-win incumbents for fear of losing access. usually this manifests as backing a hillary over a bernie or this example of the illinois race from a couple days ago but i guess also apparently a republican (wtf?)

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017
Is Ro Khanna just an opportunist? I have read a bit about him after that Intercepted interview, and the issue seems to be that he received some questionable donor money, but he seems to vote/talk in a progressive direction in general.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

btw if anyone has info on state-level races, particularly on the legislative level, post 'em here. that's where the better candidates will rise up and make more of a difference than young opportunistic go-getters who want to pounce on the first vulnerable congressional seat that comes their way

Shear Modulus posted:

the people who make electoral political decisions at the old big unions are often professional administrators with no connection or accountability to the rank and file who will decide to back lovely-but-favored-to-win incumbents for fear of losing access. usually this manifests as backing a hillary over a bernie or this example of the illinois race from a couple days ago but i guess also apparently a republican (wtf?)
somebody made a long post about the subway transit workers in NYC siding with the governor over the mayor, in spite of the fact that the governor has all the power over the transit authority. long story short, it's shortsightedness and a belief that the boss might be their friend, even though they did support bernie in the primary

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Metal Cat posted:

Is Ro Khanna just an opportunist? I have read a bit about him after that Intercepted interview, and the issue seems to be that he received some questionable donor money, but he seems to vote/talk in a progressive direction in general.

pretty much.

he won in 2016 beating a dem incumbent from the left. he had run for the same seat against the same dem incumbent in 2014 and attacked him from the right using ultra republican rhetoric. check out this campaign mailer from 2014

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i think a lot of newly left-wing democrats are opportunists. that's why we gotta be very careful in 2020, and why i'd go with Warren over the rest of the field bar Bernie (who probably won't be allowed to run as a dem)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

i think a lot of newly left-wing democrats are opportunists. that's why we gotta be very careful in 2020, and why i'd go with Warren over the rest of the field bar Bernie (who probably won't be allowed to run as a dem)

tbqh, if he chooses to run as an independent in vermont again (which it looks like he intends to do), I wouldn't blame the DCCC or whoever for not allowing him to run as a democrat in the primary. That said, he is absolutely interested in running for president again, so I don't really understand what he's angle is. Even if he somehow managed to get ballot access on the majority of states, I don't think it's possible for anyone to win as a third party in this country, so at best he'd be a spoiler candidate for the dems, which while well and good, I'd much rather him just run for president, for real.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Shear Modulus posted:

i don't know the local politics or Donovan this but if the choices for the union are between "republican they can buy and keep on a short leash" and "heritage-funded chud", they're gonna pick the former every time

edit: i was a little upset until i read it was staten "we're all cops" island

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

here’s a relevant quote from the 60mins interview

“I just didn’t take the time to understand why these issues mattered because it wasn’t right in front of me. And that was my fault. It was something that I’m embarrassed about and I’m ashamed of...I just think as I’ve gotten older I’ve learned more about life and sometimes you’re wrong. And you’ve gotta fix it. And if you’re wrong, just admit it and move on.”

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

tbqh, if he chooses to run as an independent in vermont again (which it looks like he intends to do), I wouldn't blame the DCCC or whoever for not allowing him to run as a democrat in the primary. That said, he is absolutely interested in running for president again, so I don't really understand what he's angle is. Even if he somehow managed to get ballot access on the majority of states, I don't think it's possible for anyone to win as a third party in this country, so at best he'd be a spoiler candidate for the dems, which while well and good, I'd much rather him just run for president, for real.

2020 is going to be such a goddamn clusterfuck/bloodbath.

edit: could be a good thing in a way, since all the chaos and poo poo-flinging will be coming from the Dems rather than Trump, which could undercut him since that's kind of his jam.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I think it needs to be reinforced that you're only a left wing democrat if you have actually worked for left wing reforms. Simply voting with a majority of the party doesn't count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

talking about the 2020 election in the 2018 thread