Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

The Dave posted:

Who knew losing that link could be so painful? The struggle!

I thought it was the dumbest thing ever years ago when I was first asked to add it (or somebody else added it, I don't recall). Quickly became reliant on it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

biznatchio posted:

Nah, that code's like 15 years old by this point (heck maybe 16 years since SALR 1.0 was released mid-2004), and was written against the forums HTML at that time (which believe it or not actually has changed since then), was for Firefox's crusty old XPCOM-based extension model, and had a probably unnecessarily complex design because it built an ad-hoc p2p network to share new posts between people with a thread open as chat to try to avoid requiring every user hammer the forums with refreshes. It'd be easier just to redo it from scratch.

But it is a good idea and something that belongs in SALR.

Probably better if the forums exposed the function via a web socket (or implemented it outright). I can see this functionality snowballing into complexity even in the non-XPCOM world