Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Master_Odin posted:

Something Awful Last Read (SALR) Redux
Old SALR Chrome thread

Requirements
Latest version of Chrome or Firefox

In order to use the highlighting features you must have the appropriate thread tracking options turned on in your User Control Panel on the forums. Since the forums now track threads for you, SALR only enhances the functionality rather than implement it.

Download Links
Chrome
SALR Redux: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/something-awful-last-read/bogegdelcjhoaakaepmoglademmhiboo
Browser bar extension (requires SALR): https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/something-awful-last-read/dodkgjokbnmiickhikhikpggfohagmfb

Firefox (this is considered ALPHA and there's probably bugs!)
SALR Redux: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/salr-redux/
Browser bar extension (requires SALR): https://bintray.com/salr/salr-firefox/download_file?file_path=salr-chrome-button.zip
(In Firefox you can go to about :debugging and click "Load temporary addon")

Development
And for those of you who want to contribute: https://github.com/MasterOdin/salr-redux

Patches are accepted, so if you're a web developer and want to help out, send over a pull request!

Follow the link above to install.

Once installed, basic highlighting features are enabled. To configure options, click on the SA logo in the location bar (omnibar). You will only see the SA logo when you are viewing the forums.

Page navigator is not enabled by default. To enable it, turn it on under "Page Display" in the options panel.

Have an idea you'd like to see in the extension?

Post it in this thread or in an issue on Github.

Features/Screenshots

THREAD HIGHLIGHTING!

HIGHLIGHT WHEN PEOPLE QUOTE YOU

PAGE NAVIGATOR

QUICK REPLY

Other features:
- Mouse gestures
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Various highlighting options
- User notes
- Convert Youtube links to inline
- A bunch of settings

Special thanks to Ferg as the original developer of SALR Chrome!

OMG! SO THANKS! YAY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Got a PM from someone earlier asking me how I got SALR running. Sent them RIGHT here.

The infection spreads...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

astral posted:

Quotin' myself replying to the same thing in a different thread!

I usually use 24 hour time (so that's not it for me), but I have seen it erratically on the forums also. I never thought to grab a screenie because I figured it was just a rendering engine thing or a bad load or something.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

astral posted:

It'll happen for sure when the extension updates on Firefox (adds an extra single-page link to any open pages). But it definitely does need to be just a tad wider.

Oh, no worries at all. Was just trying to contribute what little I could to help. Just so happy to have a proper tool back.

Say, I haven't noticed, but is there a way to set Show live preview as the default? The existing option doesn't seem to do anything.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Master_Odin posted:

It's the last option under the "Show Quick Reply" list of options under "Control Options" section. All of the checkboxes on the Quick Reply window can be toggled on/off by default.

Well, it didn't work for me previously. Of course, like all proper Goon projects, as soon as I replay to your post...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

astral posted:

That option probably requires a page reload to apply, so if you changed it without reloading it wouldn't have applied to an already-open page. One possibility, anyway.

Nah. I am sure it is just my machine loving with me to make me look bad.

Also, SO MUCH LOVE AND SO MANY THANKS TO ALL OF YOU STICKING WITH THIS! So nice, and if I wasn't a drat poor, I would toss you all a cookie!

EDIT: The gang tag was an anonymous gift.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

Hrm. I just 'upgraded' to 57 and installed Redux, but when I used the quick reply window the server spat out a message that stated something in the post request was malformed, and for security reasons they didn't support third-party add-ons like SALR. Did I gently caress something up (quite possibly), or is this something that just came up?

Dunno. I haven't seen that issue.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

astral posted:

Not currently, but I agree it'd be nice to have eventually.

Seconded if possible. Sometimes I like to refer to a post that is different than the one I am currently quoting/responding to and/or multi-quoting.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Settings seem to be saving for me though.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Man, there's a fuckton of Goon Mercy-lovers...

(I like playing Mercy too. Also, Moira and Lucio.)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Suggestions. Not sure if I should log it here or not. Tried the Imgur uploader for the first time.

1] Maybe add a file selection dialog along with drag and drop?? My monitor isn't the highest res and sometimes it can be a hassle moving windows around to be able to drag and drop.

2] Default to timg instead of img? Had I not been paying attention (first time), I could have ended up with a probie for table breaking.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

astral posted:

Forums auto-scale the width on regular images, so there's no longer a need for automatic timg, or even the option for it. If you're still worried (perhaps because of a super-tall image), you can still add the `t` yourself.

For the drag and drop, I don't disagree that there ought to be a file selection offered; for now, if you're on Windows I can offer some possible help: you can focus Firefox without having to move windows around by hovering said image on the Firefox window entry on your taskbar, then proceed to drag it onto the drop pad.

Well, the preview of an uploaded image looked like it might break a table, and I once got probation for table breaking, so maybe I skew a little overly cautious.

Cheers for the heads up. Although this is not the only thing I find frustrating with the drag and drop. I use a program called Filebot, which is the only program I know of with its functionality and it is drag and drop only.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

astral posted:

Okay I fixed some stuff and bumped the jquery version with jquery migrate so :siren:some other stuff might have broken:siren:, but I pushed a build (v2.1.8.13a9) with all that through the mozilla review process. It just got approved so hopefully that means we're good to go now on that front. The jQuery version used now is actually too new to have its hash in their system so hopefully if it gets looked at again the reviewer sees that.

Something potentially broken is better than nothing, after all. If you see something acting weird, please let me know either here, my fork repo where I can figure out if it's a result of the jQuery update or an underlying bug in SALR Redux, or feel free to visit us on IRC channel #salr on SynIRC.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/salr-redux

edit: Found some unrelated broken stuff:
known: Layout of setting restore stuff in settings, unrelated to jquery, fixed for next build
known: related to an unrelated bug from before; left clicking an entry in the popup menu opens the link in both the current and a new tab. Fixed for next version.

edit again: Releasing 2.1.8.13a10 to fix the above; that button one was obnoxious

other known issue: found an unrelated notes bug; if you set a note on someone who didn't have a note before, then click "Edit Note" again, it doesn't populate with their new note info. Once they already have a note it works as expected. Will look into this later since it's unrelated.

Cheers for the update notifications. I never remember to check until I see the note here.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

astral posted:

Firefox auto-updates extensions every so often. Latest version was 2.1.8.13a10 last night which I released a couple hours after a9, so if you manually upgraded to a9 that's probably what happened

---

sidenote: good amount of fixes and changes are queued up for the next alpha version in the next few days! so far we have: Plat grenade hiding option made a bit more efficient (and no longer requires maintenance for special cases), added ctrl+q hotkey for adding quote tags to quick reply, load new posts with last post button no longer breaking on page 1)

edit: just about done with the bbcode/smilie insertion improvements too (when no selection, it inserts at the caret instead of the end; when there is a selection, it inserts around the selection and then moves the caret to the end of the selection instead of the end; clicking bbcodes/smilies or their menu button keeps the text area focused so you can see where you'd be adding stuff; clicking bbcodes/smilies updates the preview pane if it's open)

Sounds nice, especially the BBCode/Smiley changes. :bravo:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
This page - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837056&userid=220413#post480004062 - Was making Firefox throw the This extension (SALR) is making Firefox run slowly error, with the prompt to Wait, Temporarily disable and such.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

astral posted:

Can you PM me your config string (configure salr -> click the grenade at the top -> paste everything from there up til (not including) your user notes)? I can't replicate the error, but I suspect it's related to the sheer volume of quotes in the linked page

Done and done.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

astral posted:

Thanks for the report, will fix.

Yeah, there can be eventual improvements if people still want to use timgs. Out of curiosity what's the use case now that the forums shrink oversized images (that aren't too tall compared to their width, anyway)?

Well, as I said earlier, I prefer to be safe rather than pull a probie for table murder. Besides, we are REALLY trusting the forums code?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

astral posted:

Sounds fair. I'd like to have it be as unobtrusive as possible, so how does this sound:
A checkbox would be added just below the drop zone, defaulting to unchecked, that says "[ ] Thumbnail image" or something.

P.S. Hooked up the invisible click-that-text-to-open-the-file-picker button to actually work. I'll be tweaking the UI to indicate you can do that, too. Will be in the next alpha version.

Lovely. Cheers!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

astral posted:

It's done (for the next alpha version).

Most most awesome. As soon as the heist goes through, I'll be able to send you guys a donation...

(Yeah, just used the uploader again tonight.)

Thanks again!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Every so often, I get a notification about forged posts?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Thanks for all the hard work!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Just got this error again.

It pops up every so often, usually on large replies. Any suggestions about how to avoid this?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Seems to be an issue with the forums in general, ZDR is looking into it

Cool. So it's not just me.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

It's the in-built forums quality control finally kicking in. :smugdog:

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
As of the latest (60.0 64 bit) FF update, the post editor appears to have stopped functioning. Every time I reply, I go to the standard form.