Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Hmmm, I just had all my SALR settings wiped.

I cleaned the firefox cache and cookies + website storage, and AFAIK that seems to be what did it. Which is pretty unusual, I've never seen an extension be touched by that before and it didn't affect any other extension this time.

Are you keeping SALR's settings, user notes, etc in storage related to somethingawful.com rather than dedicated extension storage? That seems crazy, but I can't think how else it would have happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

astral posted:

Redux has not yet been changed from using localStorage to storage.local; it's still #1 on my todo list and I still haven't had a ton of time to dedicate to it. It should be done in the next month or so.

Aha, sorry for not reading the thread. An artifact of the chrome -> firefox port I presume?

Anyways, thanks for your work whenever it gets done!

quote:

If you have a backup of your profile, I recommend loading it up, copying your settings string, then pasting it into your current post-wipe profile.

Still have a backup of my pre-56 FF profile with classic SALR so I can re-import that again. Not a total loss.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zedlic posted:

Ancient quote but honestly the only thing I've found on this. Given that all images are downloaded in full anyway, I see no good reason for the thumbnails to be this tiny. If I could have my way, they would default to the "as wide as the container allows" setting which happens when you click the image (not the size button in top left).

Anyway, has anything changed in the last six years that would help me do this?

Edit: Or even just a way to expand all images on this page.

You can have all the thumbnails at the same 100% scale as normal images with this bit of css:
code:
.timg {
    width: 100% !important;
    height: 100% !important;
}
(or 50% or whatever) in Stylus or another CSS styling extension. The little hover-button for changing size does nothing anymore.

Changing the timg function so it still makes thumbnail images, but larger than the puny size they are now, is also possible with violentmonkey or tampermonkey. You need a script that overrides the SA.timg function (which is in forums.combined.js). But I can't help with that, as that is as much as I know about js.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

The Mozilla links in the OP appear to be broken.

It's been removed by mozilla due to using javascript loaded from gfycat, and that's now against Mozilla policy

presumably an update will eventually come out that removes all the live javascript, but ^that^ works fine if you save it to your pc and then drag it into the addons window.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I just had a settings wipe when updating extensions. SALR updated, but I can't assign blame because multi-account containers and cookie auto-delete both updated and those interact with localstorage.

I have regular backups that include my FF profile. If I wanted to get my old settings back, is there a way to directly extract them or should I just be looking to load the whole profile in FF and do the json export thing?

(Also if you were looking to make work for yourself, some sort of automatic backup option would be cool. For some reason SALR seems very vulnerable to settings wipes, this is the 2nd time I've had it happen.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

astral posted:

Under thread options:

So on firefox the sync user note is using a firefox/mozilla account and their sync service right? Weirdly it says I have 8 user notes in sync. I don't have a firefox account and have never used sync.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

shortspecialbus posted:

How doable would it be to add a font size option to SALR? I'm getting old and so I've bumped up the font size in chrome settings, but SA has its own font settings that override that stuff. One Ctrl-+ puts the zoom level where I want it font-wise, but it can make some other stuff goofy as a result.

I asked in QCS a while back to add a font size option for us :corsair:s but I don't expect that to get added quickly and I think SALR maybe could add it sooner. Or maybe it's there and I can't find it.

Much like dark mode & the spoilers thing from last page, this is a feature that's very easy to solve with userstyles.

Go and get yourself stylus (chrome, firefox). Make a new style for forums.somethingawful.com and paste in this (this is what I use, adjust the px numbers up or down depending on your monitor & eyesight):
code:
.postbody {
    font: 18px sans-serif !important;
    line-height: 125% !important;
}

.forum_219 .postbody {
    font: 17px monospace !important;
}

.bbc-block blockquote {
    font-size: 16px !important;
    color: #383838 !important;
}

.bbc-block code {
    font-size: 13px !important;
}

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
stylus
code:
.nav_new {
    display:none !important;
}

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

shortspecialbus posted:

Is this extension taking a policy of saying "no" to any feature request that could be done with user stylesheets, by the way? It seems to be the default response to a lot of things as of late.

I just wanna say that I am not on the extension team at all, and when I post a quick reply of how to do a thing with stylus it's not speaking on behalf of the authors.

It's just a fast way to fix the thing that someone doesn't like, which I can generally demonstrate how to do very quickly and easily. I figure that if I show a fix in 5 minutes, the person asking can have a better experience long before a feature can be added to SALR.

(Also, the "New! Dark Mode!" banner in particular I assume won't be permanent, so would IMO not be worth adding a specific feature about in the extension. Even though it would be fairly simple, adding the code, going through the review submission for an update, then eventually removing it again when it goes away, is a lot of effort for something that's trivially done through other means. Something like font size, or other cohesive whole-site features that aren't easy to fix for most people, is a different story.)

(Also also, I do want to promote stylus to anyone who gets annoyed by various website things and wants to change them. I think it's a wonderful extension that's improved the internet for me, because I can delete jackass webdesign crap. SA is a great website to learn the basics of CSS on, it's very basic.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Femur posted:

How do i turn off quick reply? I can't see the bottom and unable to resize box.

open options for the extension, Control Options, uncheck "Use Quick Reply box"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Master_Odin posted:

Hm, maybe makes sense to insert as a new button to the page switcher, though not sure where exactly it makes sense to put it, or what the icon could be. Any suggestions or thoughts?

I'd say in with the page nav buttons, and:
» (fixing the alignment)