Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah it's sorted now, figured I'd report it in case it was some weird, new behavior. I remember the "Open updated threads" thing vanishing before too but I can't remember how I got it back.

"Open updated threads" has two different settings, one for usercp and one for forumdisplay. Maybe it's enabled for one but not the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

All the settings stayed the same with the update but I unchecked and re-checked them both but only the User CP one works while Forum Display doesn't appear at all.

Unfortunately, I can't reproduce it (screenshot from sh/sc):

astral
Apr 26, 2004

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I seem to be missing a quote button all of a sudden and turning of SALRR is the only way to get it back. Anyone else?

One possibility:
If you have a very narrow browsing window, all the posting buttons (report/edit/quote) on the right can end up bumped down to a new line. Thanks to terrible forum CSS rules, that makes them hidden.

If you are zoomed in, that will exacerbate the problem.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Make sure to enable the 'Hide thread search form' option now that the forums have a thread search box of their own. It's in the Thread Options category of the SALR settings.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren: v2.2.3 is out for Firefox to remove the SALR search thread box and prevent unintentional keyboard navigation while in the SA thread search box.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

nexus6 posted:

Is it possible to show user notes for users on the ignore list? If you ignore someone their posts get collapsed/hidden and you don't see the notes you've added.

Frankly, I'd rather further shrink ignored user posts like legacy SALR did rather than adding something that makes them fatter. You can view the post to see/edit any notes.

Legacy SALR did this:

nexus6 posted:

How do you do that? Friend post highlighting?

They're setting the 'background' part of a user note to black.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I could see a couple of eventual improvements to the old ways for ignoring/notes, as well:

1. Username links to profile
  2. Notes editable/viewable on profile

astral
Apr 26, 2004

All sorts of user control panel stuff was broken when the page title was changed to put "The Something Awful Forums" at the end and I really wish I was joking right now.

This extension needs a ton of error handling.

e: Basically it was trying to grab your username from that; it was never updated to use the loggedinusername div that Chooch (iirc) added.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Okay, I fixed the user control panel thing and added support for the new bookmark stars to the 'open threads in tabs' feature.

An SALR Redux for Firefox release with all this stuff is pending.

edit: SALR Redux 2.2.4 is out for Firefox.

notes posted:

+ Support new bookmark star/highlight colors
* Fix breakage on user control panel pages
* "Show User's Avatar [...]" settings renamed to "Hide User's Avatar [...]" to more accurately reflect their behavior.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I think I've heard about some other third-party extension attempting something like that, but it wasn't SALR or SALR Redux.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Turns out, I wasn't imagining it completely:

If you enable the page navigator (SALR options -> Threads), the rightmost button acts the same as the 'jump to last read post' button from forums/bookmarks:

Note that this depends on the "Last post button reloads the current thread to check for new posts instead of scrolling to an unread post" setting, which is enabled by default on Firefox and (I believe) newer installs on Chrome-based browsers but not on older Chrome installs. If it just scrolls the page, you'll need to switch it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Baggot posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a reason why the YouTube embeds don't allow me to full-screen videos from the forums? Is there any way to enable this?

I can't reproduce this with SALR's youtube embeds or the forum-native youtube embeds. I see a fullscreen button on both, which is the expected behavior since they both set the required allowfullscreen attribute.

Please indicate browser/OS versions, any specific videos that are giving trouble, and whether it's SALR's youtube embeds (click the link to create the player) or the forum's (the player exists from the beginning).

edit: It's possible some other extension or user script is interfering with this, so it might be worth checking into those, especially if you have any youtube-specific addons/scripts.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Baggot posted:

It's the SALR YouTube embeds, clicking the link to create the player. This happens to me in Chrome browser, in both Windows 10 and Mac OS X (latest versions of each). As far as I can tell, it's all videos across the forums, as I haven't noticed any that I am able to full-screen.

I see what's going on - it looks like it fails to work properly under chromium based browsers since SALR Redux uses // instead of https:// for the youtube embed URL. Thanks for reporting it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

IMO, it should be its own thing.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Nope! It's doing it again. Please let me know what info you need from me to diagnose this memory-gobbling problem.

Maybe someone at Mozilla could help you with it using the crash ID, but...

Does it also happen with a clean Firefox profile? Uninstalling/reinstalling Firefox normally keeps your existing profile; sometimes Firefox profiles can just get really messed-up over time.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

Is this extension taking a policy of saying "no" to any feature request that could be done with user stylesheets, by the way? It seems to be the default response to a lot of things as of late.

I contribute on occasion, but most of my development time/energy goes into the website itself right now.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Is there a cache of IKs/mods/admins that can be purged/rebuilt? Some people who used to be mods/IKs still get highlighted in the bookmarks view though not in threads.

On Firefox you can go to about :debugging, click "This Firefox", pick the SALR Redux extension, navigate to the 'Storage' tab, click the "Local Storage" row, find the moderator list entry (I don't remember its name offhand, but if you scroll down a lot you should be able to spot it), and delete it. Wait, where are you going?

Yeah, that would definitely make a good utility button in the settings.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Baggot posted:

Hello again! Sorry to bring up this old issue, but this never actually seemed to be fixed for me, on version 2.2.5 or the new 2.3.0. I tried disabling all my other extensions and that didn't seem to do anything either. Not sure why I'm having trouble with this.

Still on Chrome, latest version. Everything in the YouTube embed seems to work - I'm logged in, can add videos to my Watch Later, and videos add to my history properly. The only things that don't seem to work are timestamp embeds in the link and the full-screen feature.

I was able to get the fullscreen button to work for me in chromium again with a slight code tweak which should appear in the next release of SALR Redux.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Tamba posted:

Not sure if this is related, but something weird is going on with mp4 links.
Take this post in the Steam thread for example:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=514781608

If you quote the post, you see that it only contains links to mp4 files:

But the forums turn it into this:

The .webm link is never valid and only returns a 404 error message. Playback still works because the first video source is valid, but this still seems wrong.

That's forum JS, and I agree that it's not a great idea for it to guess that a fallback exists.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Quick Reply should have one of those obnoxious javascript "Are you sure you want to close this page?" popups if you accidentally try to close a tab/window with an open reply. :ughh:

At least something cached the reply-in-progress.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Circumcised Elon posted:

Hi

Ive noticed SALR Redux (Version: 2.3.0) keeps disappearing from my Extensions.

I am using FF Nightly so it probably that, each time it updates its removing SALR for some reason.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1207013
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1136809
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/975572
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1094593

Answers seem to point to a problem with the browser's extension store or a helpful browser cleaning program. I'd recommend testing with a clean browser profile or refreshing firefox (read up on what gets lost in this) or something.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

qsvui posted:

I can't seem to add any more user notes. I can see the ones I already had but if I enter a new note and refresh the page, I don't see any changes.

Relatedly, I pressed "Backup Synced User Notes locally" but I don't know where it actually gets stored :(.

Sounds like you may have reached the limit for synced data. Once you've backed up your synced notes locally, you'll want to toggle the user note sub-option (under the Thread Options category) to no longer use sync storage for notes.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

qsvui posted:

Yep that was it, thanks.

Do you know if it's possible to hand delete user notes to get it back under the limit?

Possible? Maybe, but it probably wouldn't be easy; there isn't a user note browser or anything so you'd have to decode whatever format it's stored in.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

qsvui posted:

I didn't even know I had so many. Most of them are probably dumb and worth getting rid of.

If you could point me to where the notes would be stored on my computer as well as the format/code used to generate them, I could look at decoding them if I'm bored or something.

Forgot to mention, I'm using Firefox on Windows 10.

Looks like the local version is stored as JSON under your browser's localStorage for the extension, with key "userNotesLocal".

The idea would be that you edit your locally-stored version and then copy that back over to Sync storage.

I honestly do not know if you can access/edit the sync data directly in a user-friendly way for editing. You could probably run some JS in a console running in the extension's scope to access the sync data, but :effort:.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I’d bet it’s looking for the secure. links for its hide header settings and has poor error handling. Try disabling the hiding of those and see if it works.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I'll try to work on a fix later today if nobody else has, but I'm extremely exhausted from the forum store stuff so no promises.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Master_Odin posted:

I've landed a fix for it, as well as made that bit of code a bit more resilient so it won't crash the extension in the future if something changes again.

Submitted the new version to Chrome and Firefox, make take a bit before it's up.

:cheers:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I've noticed that if I paste a channel Youtube link, it parses as a video in Quick Reply:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c?CHANNELNAMEHERE

Regular reply just auto-parses it as a URL:

https://www.youtube.com/c/CHANNELNAMEHERE

If I remember correctly, quick reply uses a slightly modified, slightly outdated version of some of the JS from the full reply page, which used to have that bug; it probably just needs to be brought up to date. There's something in the works that will make doing so a little easier soon.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Am I nuts or did the font in the quick reply box change?

E: It looks like Console now.

They're discussing in the Firefox thread that the windows version's monospace font default changed from Courier New to Consolas, so that's probably what's happening here.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Saukkis posted:

Does SALR have a way to jump to the next unread post, the way URL parameter "goto=newpost" does?. Keyboard shortcut, button or something else.

This is already a feature. Configure SALR -> " Last post button reloads the current thread to check for new posts instead of scrolling to an unread post"

The description admittedly could use some work.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Minor issue, on Firefox the User CP "Open updated threads" link dies if you leave the tab for a while.

Guessing that's a caching or forward/back thing; hitting 'reload' ought to restore its functionality.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

well also some of us don't use Firefox accounts

It basically works like local extension storage in that case.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I just noticed that when a subforum is locked but a thread in that subforum isn't, it looks as if the reply button is still shown.

It seems like a bug to me, but is it one that's easy to fix?

Did you mean to post this in the technical issues thread instead?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Hi, if SALR suddenly broke for you today it's because I changed the frontpage link in the forums header but you were hiding it through SALR's options. You might notice that it's so broken that even the 'Configure SALR' link does not work. To access the extension settings, you can go to your Firefox addons page, use the three-dots menu to open SALR's options, scroll down to the header/footer options, and set it to no longer hide the "Something Awful" link. This will restore functionality until proper error handling exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Legacy SALR had a similar feature, but it never worked in Firefox using salr-redux. I was going to work on moving it away from websql to fix that, but I ended up shelving it when I started working for SA.