Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Something Awful Last Read (SALR) Redux
Old SALR Chrome thread

Requirements
Latest version of Chrome or Firefox

In order to use the highlighting features you must have the appropriate thread tracking options turned on in your User Control Panel on the forums. Since the forums now track threads for you, SALR only enhances the functionality rather than implement it.

Download Links
Chrome
SALR Redux: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/something-awful-last-read/bogegdelcjhoaakaepmoglademmhiboo

Firefox
SALR Redux: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/salr-redux/

Development
And for those of you who want to contribute: https://github.com/MasterOdin/salr-redux

Patches are accepted, so if you're a web developer and want to help out, send over a pull request!

Follow the link above to install.

Once installed, basic highlighting features are enabled. To configure options, click on the SA logo in the location bar (omnibar). You will only see the SA logo when you are viewing the forums.

Page navigator is not enabled by default. To enable it, turn it on under "Page Display" in the options panel.

Have an idea you'd like to see in the extension?

Post it in this thread or in an issue on Github.

Features/Screenshots

THREAD HIGHLIGHTING!

HIGHLIGHT WHEN PEOPLE QUOTE YOU

PAGE NAVIGATOR

QUICK REPLY

Other features:
- Mouse gestures
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Various highlighting options
- User notes
- Convert Youtube links to inline
- A bunch of settings

Special thanks to Ferg as the original developer of SALR Chrome!

https://gfycat.com/ifr/AccomplishedAptHammerheadbird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think this got eaten by the last thread, but when I sent r to do a quick reply, it seems to ignore the command.

Also ctrl+1 gets overridden by SALR, is there any way to restore default functionality?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Hooray, a new thread!

e: I'll just take this opportunity to emphasize that the Firefox port is currently more or less an alpha version and there will be bugs!

astral fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 5, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I see there's highlighting for when people quote you as well as "various highlighting options".

Does this me the "Add Coloring/Note" function is still there for weirdos like me to use?

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Gorilla Salad posted:

I see there's highlighting for when people quote you - does this me the "Add Coloring/Note" function is still there for weirdos like me to use?
You can add notes that are colored, but you cannot color a user's post based off that note currently.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright, to expand on the Ctrl+1 behavior. It will switch to the first tab as it should, but it will go to the top post on the page.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Good enough!

Finally a reason to update from the ESR to real Firefox.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

I see there's highlighting for when people quote you as well as "various highlighting options".

Does this me the "Add Coloring/Note" function is still there for weirdos like me to use?

Yeah, it's behind an option.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Good enough!

Finally a reason to update from the ESR to real Firefox.

My personal recommendation would be to give it a few more days before abandoning ESR(wait for the next Firefox salr redux release). And make sure your third-party cookie settings are at least "From Visited" until Firefox 58.

Or if you want the extension to automatically import your existing user notes from legacy Firefox, that may be a little ways out (probably closer to February or so; ESR updates to 59 in March so it'd have to be a bit before then).

astral fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 5, 2018

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Threw another set of changes into the pull request bucket to fix and improve quick reply and the quick reply emote parser.

Highlights:

• Enables the quick reply emote parser to work successfully in Firefox.
  • Prevents the boogeyman from appearing in Firefox <=57 with third-party cookies disabled.
  • Fixes a typo in EmoteParser that led to cached emotes never being updated.
  • Updates emote parser to fetch over https to prevent man-in-the middle attacks.
  • Fixes two bugs in quick edit so it works on single post pages and fetches bookmark status from single post pages correctly.
  • Adds a check so we don't store missing/malformed emote data.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I hereby endorse this product and/or service.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Master_Odin posted:

Something Awful Last Read (SALR) Redux
Old SALR Chrome thread

Requirements
Latest version of Chrome or Firefox

In order to use the highlighting features you must have the appropriate thread tracking options turned on in your User Control Panel on the forums. Since the forums now track threads for you, SALR only enhances the functionality rather than implement it.

Download Links
Chrome
SALR Redux: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/something-awful-last-read/bogegdelcjhoaakaepmoglademmhiboo
Browser bar extension (requires SALR): https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/something-awful-last-read/dodkgjokbnmiickhikhikpggfohagmfb

Firefox (this is considered ALPHA and there's probably bugs!)
SALR Redux: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/salr-redux/
Browser bar extension (requires SALR): https://bintray.com/salr/salr-firefox/download_file?file_path=salr-chrome-button.zip
(In Firefox you can go to about :debugging and click "Load temporary addon")

Development
And for those of you who want to contribute: https://github.com/MasterOdin/salr-redux

Patches are accepted, so if you're a web developer and want to help out, send over a pull request!

Follow the link above to install.

Once installed, basic highlighting features are enabled. To configure options, click on the SA logo in the location bar (omnibar). You will only see the SA logo when you are viewing the forums.

Page navigator is not enabled by default. To enable it, turn it on under "Page Display" in the options panel.

Have an idea you'd like to see in the extension?

Post it in this thread or in an issue on Github.

Features/Screenshots

THREAD HIGHLIGHTING!

HIGHLIGHT WHEN PEOPLE QUOTE YOU

PAGE NAVIGATOR

QUICK REPLY

Other features:
- Mouse gestures
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Various highlighting options
- User notes
- Convert Youtube links to inline
- A bunch of settings

Special thanks to Ferg as the original developer of SALR Chrome!

OMG! SO THANKS! YAY!

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
It's so nice not to have to remember to open about:debugging each time I restart Firefox. Good work getting it all approved and all. Today has been a good day for Firefox 57 functionality.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren: New SALR update for Firefox is live! Check for updates on your addons page or manually download it:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/salr-redux/

e: Possibly slightly incomplete version notes:

quote:

• Adds imgur uploader
  • Flips a couple of default SALR preferences in the Firefox version to be more in line with legacy Firefox SALR settings (no SOAP link, last post button in page navigator reloads the page)
  • Enables the quick reply emote parser to work successfully in Firefox.
  • Prevents the boogeyman from appearing in Firefox <=57 with third-party cookies disabled.
  • Fixes a typo in EmoteParser that led to cached emotes never being updated.
  • Updates emote parser to fetch over https to prevent man-in-the middle attacks.
  • Fixes two bugs in quick edit so it works on single post pages and fetches bookmark status from single post pages correctly.
  • Adds a check so we don't store missing/malformed emote data.

astral fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 7, 2018

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Is there a way to get that little SA drop-down menu that used to show up in the File / Edit / View / History bar in Firefox? I don't see it in options but might be blind..I loved being able to pin forums there and jump around.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Sloppy posted:

Is there a way to get that little SA drop-down menu that used to show up in the File / Edit / View / History bar in Firefox? I don't see it in options but might be blind..I loved being able to pin forums there and jump around.

It's not possible to create top-level menus with WebExtensions, unfortunately. I'm not happy about it.

However, there's a separate toolbar button extension that should approximate that behavior. It's not signed yet, so you have to download it at: : https://bintray.com/salr/salr-firefox/download_file?file_path=salr-chrome-button.zip then you can go to about :debugging and load it as a temporary extension.

Still needs a lot of cleanup and it will eventually get merged into the main extension.

e: Okay looking into this it's just the same thing, but I guess on Chrome they don't give you the same power over where you put toolbar buttons (only user choices seem to be on toolbar or hidden in chrome menu) so the choice was made to have a separate extension to give users the option to have or not have it. I can just change that to a browser action on Firefox since the user can put the icon wherever they want, including "not on the UI".

e2: New version on a.m.o changed to a browser action and no longer needs the separate button extension.

astral fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 8, 2018

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

astral posted:

It's not possible to create top-level menus with WebExtensions, unfortunately. I'm not happy about it.

However, there's a separate toolbar button extension that should approximate that behavior. It's not signed yet, so you have to download it at: : https://bintray.com/salr/salr-firefox/download_file?file_path=salr-chrome-button.zip then you can go to about :debugging and load it as a temporary extension.

Still needs a lot of cleanup and it will eventually get merged into the main extension.

e: Okay looking into this it's just the same thing, but I guess on Chrome they don't give you the same power over where you put toolbar buttons (only user choices seem to be on toolbar or hidden in chrome menu) so the choice was made to have a separate extension to give users the option to have or not have it. I can just change that to a browser action on Firefox since the user can put the icon wherever they want, including "not on the UI".

e2: New version on a.m.o changed to a browser action and no longer needs the separate button extension.

You and Serfer are champs and I appreciate you making the time where I couldn't to get this done.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Got a PM from someone earlier asking me how I got SALR running. Sent them RIGHT here.

The infection spreads...

astral
Apr 26, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

You and Serfer are champs and I appreciate you making the time where I couldn't to get this done.

and I appreciate the work that Ferg, Master_Odin and the rest of the SALR Redux contributors did in porting over/duplicating most of the SALR functionality to Chrome to make SALR Redux!

Not to mention biznatchio, duz, and the rest of the Firefox legacy SALR contributors!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So is this still an alpha version or is it okay for people to start using?

I've held off on upgrading Firefox until SALR is good to go in New Firefox

astral
Apr 26, 2004

axeil posted:

So is this still an alpha version or is it okay for people to start using?

I've held off on upgrading Firefox until SALR is good to go in New Firefox

If you want to be able to migrate your user notes from the legacy version, I'd hold off for a few more weeks; otherwise, go hog wild and report any bugs! Fixed a lot so far, but there are undoubtedly more out there.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Live preview works now! :toot: All is right in the world! It doesn't parse smilies yet, but baby steps!

E: Is there an option somewhere to change what color Youtube links are highlighted as, without disabling the thing to play them as inline video? That is a hellaciously ugly default shade of pink-purple that makes my eyes hurt.
Nevermind, I found it!

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 8, 2018

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Oh my god thank you so much I'm so happy to have a version of SALR for the new Firefox that even does this much.

However I've found a bug that I think was around in the old version too:
When you enable the single-post button, the time on the post wraps around to a new line and leaves a weird blank space after each post.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

vortmax posted:

Oh my god thank you so much I'm so happy to have a version of SALR for the new Firefox that even does this much.

However I've found a bug that I think was around in the old version too:
When you enable the single-post button, the time on the post wraps around to a new line and leaves a weird blank space after each post.

Quotin' myself replying to the same thing in a different thread!

astral posted:

Will have to see if the chrome version touches the CSS there, and if so it just needs to be a bit wider; on Legacy SALR I had adjusted the CSS to extend the width of the left side of posts to compensate for longer post times.

A temporary workaround is you can use 24hr time on the forums.

e:

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Live preview works now! :toot: All is right in the world! It doesn't parse smilies yet, but baby steps!

E: Is there an option somewhere to change what color Youtube links are highlighted as, without disabling the thing to play them as inline video? That is a hellaciously ugly default shade of pink-purple that makes my eyes hurt.
Nevermind, I found it!

I changed the default to match the legacy one for a future Firefox version. Yeah, that was...a little too intense of a color.

astral fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 8, 2018

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

astral posted:

Quotin' myself replying to the same thing in a different thread!

I usually use 24 hour time (so that's not it for me), but I have seen it erratically on the forums also. I never thought to grab a screenie because I figured it was just a rendering engine thing or a bad load or something.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

astral posted:

If you want to be able to migrate your user notes from the legacy version, I'd hold off for a few more weeks; otherwise, go hog wild and report any bugs! Fixed a lot so far, but there are undoubtedly more out there.

Ah thanks, still waiting to migrate the notes, but it sounds like it'll be soon!

Thanks for your hard work on this!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Samizdata posted:

I usually use 24 hour time (so that's not it for me), but I have seen it erratically on the forums also. I never thought to grab a screenie because I figured it was just a rendering engine thing or a bad load or something.

It'll happen for sure when the extension updates on Firefox (adds an extra single-page link to any open pages). But it definitely does need to be just a tad wider.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

astral posted:

It'll happen for sure when the extension updates on Firefox (adds an extra single-page link to any open pages). But it definitely does need to be just a tad wider.

Oh, no worries at all. Was just trying to contribute what little I could to help. Just so happy to have a proper tool back.

Say, I haven't noticed, but is there a way to set Show live preview as the default? The existing option doesn't seem to do anything.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Samizdata posted:

Oh, no worries at all. Was just trying to contribute what little I could to help. Just so happy to have a proper tool back.

Say, I haven't noticed, but is there a way to set Show live preview as the default? The existing option doesn't seem to do anything.
It's the last option under the "Show Quick Reply" list of options under "Control Options" section. All of the checkboxes on the Quick Reply window can be toggled on/off by default.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Master_Odin posted:

It's the last option under the "Show Quick Reply" list of options under "Control Options" section. All of the checkboxes on the Quick Reply window can be toggled on/off by default.

Well, it didn't work for me previously. Of course, like all proper Goon projects, as soon as I replay to your post...

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Samizdata posted:

Well, it didn't work for me previously. Of course, like all proper Goon projects, as soon as I replay to your post...

That option probably requires a page reload to apply, so if you changed it without reloading it wouldn't have applied to an already-open page. One possibility, anyway.

astral fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 8, 2018

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

astral posted:

That option probably requires a page reload to apply, so if you changed it without reloading it wouldn't have applied to an already-open page. One possibility, anyway.

Nah. I am sure it is just my machine loving with me to make me look bad.

Also, SO MUCH LOVE AND SO MANY THANKS TO ALL OF YOU STICKING WITH THIS! So nice, and if I wasn't a drat poor, I would toss you all a cookie!

EDIT: The gang tag was an anonymous gift.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
Apologies if this question has already been answered, but what's the ETA on the Show/Hide Avatar button?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Simon The Digger posted:

Apologies if this question has already been answered, but what's the ETA on the Show/Hide Avatar button?

If that's missing I'll look into how easy it'd be to add; that was one of my favorite features of legacy SALR.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

astral posted:

If that's missing I'll look into how easy it'd be to add; that was one of my favorite features of legacy SALR.

Hiding stupid newbie is an option, but I didn't see the option for an individual avatar button in the options.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

astral posted:

Nice. Would it be possible to have an option for the menu to change between "Open in same tab" or "open in new tab"?

It currently opens in a new tab which is not the behavior of the old Firefox menu.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Zero One posted:

Nice. Would it be possible to have an option for the menu to change between "Open in same tab" or "open in new tab"?

It currently opens in a new tab which is not the behavior of the old Firefox menu.

Seconding this, but have an option to default to new tab when the current tab is a pinned tab. Maybe also have the menu collapse upon selecting a link with left click, but stay open while right or middle clicking to open in new tabs.

VectorSigma fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 9, 2018

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Is there some option I'm missing to override the custom themes in (for example) the gas chamber to make threads readable there?

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Hello, I would very much like to thank you for maintaining this. I would like to contribute in the future with a means to resurrect SOAP; if we can get the url to toss in the UserID, I think it would be quite simple and I can host the page on Github or something free.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Javid posted:

Is there some option I'm missing to override the custom themes in (for example) the gas chamber to make threads readable there?

I ended up just blocking the css file itself with ublock.
Also, nice to see SALR still alive and kicking all these years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!

Video Nasty posted:

Hello, I would very much like to thank you for maintaining this. I would like to contribute in the future with a means to resurrect SOAP; if we can get the url to toss in the UserID, I think it would be quite simple and I can host the page on Github or something free.

The UserID is used in each of the other links in that section of a post- shouldn't be difficult to update once you whip something up.