Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Last year, I wrote up a big history lesson on King of Trios. I updated it with an entry on 2017 and profiles for all 16 of this year's teams.

Special thanks to exploded mummy and GEORGE W BUSHI for helping me with the latter part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Interestingly enough, it looks like Chikara quietly removed Teddy Hart from the Rey de Voladores tournament and he's no longer on the card. Sounds good to me!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Phenix Rising posted:

Is King of Trios going to stream on Powerbomb.tv? Saw a little promo for the event itself during the WWR show today but it didn't specify whether or not it'd be live-streamed or just on-demand after the fact.

I know they mentioned some kind of partnership or something with CHIKARA at the last Beyond show (I think?) but I haven't heard much since then. I also haven't done a ton of sleuthing other than some quick Googles, so maybe I've missed something.

They said something on the Americanrana broadcast, I asked Powerbomb's twitter like twice now and haven't gotten a reply. I suspect DC might have misconstrued something.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Gavok posted:

Interestingly enough, it looks like Chikara quietly removed Teddy Hart from the Rey de Voladores tournament and he's no longer on the card. Sounds good to me!

I am surprised he was on it in the first place

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
This is a seriously great promo by Katie Lea/Winter. I didn't even realize this match on Friday has its own theme but I am super pumped about it now.

https://twitter.com/katarinasinfamy/status/1034555010179260416

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

coconono posted:

They said something on the Americanrana broadcast, I asked Powerbomb's twitter like twice now and haven't gotten a reply. I suspect DC might have misconstrued something.
For whatever reason, Powerbomb cannot register their deal to stream content through Roku, etc because they came along right as stuff was changing. As such, they are limited to a browser-based experience. CHIKARATOPIA does not have this problem because they got on Roku very early. Based on my understanding, they want to merge Powerbomb into the CHIKARATOPIA infrastructure so they can expand their viewing options.

This is a move to consolidate resources, as friendly indies will need to rely on each other going forward in the future.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

King of Trios Night 1 Results:

- 4 Nations defeat Xyberhawx via whatever they call their version of the Ant Hill. Fun opener, but not the most memorable. Danjerhawk appears to have actual bird bones because whenever they throw him up for a hurricanrana or whatever, he always almost overshoots it.

- Colony defeat Proteus Wheel. Great storytelling in this one which is basically Proteus Wheel guys going 3-on-1 with each ant one at a time, only for them to be saved by the next one. Volgar did an awesome spot where he did a big swing two both Green and Thief where one was hanging on his back, and then turned it into a sit-down powerbomb. Ended with Green and Thief kicking Volgar and Callux off each side of the apron and allowing Fire to do the Beach Breaker to Frantik. Afterwards, Fire left and the other two celebrated in the ring.

- Nexus defeated the Regime, which was very surprising to me. Really fun match with (me) Michael Tarver being an absolute blast. The opening minutes played it up as really even to the point that Tarver and Rolland took each other down with striking, Young and Juan clotheslined each other and PJ Black and Caprice cross-bodied each other. Then the Nexus guys tried to remember what their team gesture was with Black trying to too-sweet and Tarver trying the Shield fist bump. There was a botched bit where Tarver tried to Superman Punch Juan and Rolland tried to take the bullet. In the end, the Nexus guys got Juan to themselves and hit their finishers, ending with a 450 plancha from Black. Afterwards, Tarver acted like he was going to break the Ecuadorian flagpole over his knee, but Black stopped him because he knew that was a bad look.

Oh, and Black did an absolutely bonkers monkey flip to Juan to the outside.

- Team Beyond defeated the Throwbacks. The match mostly centered around Boomer being out of his element, especially against Milonas. At the end of the match, Touchdown suplexed Dickinson out of the ring and then started screaming in pain. Dickinson talked trash and shoved his way over to stomp on Touchdown while the other two guys seemed confused. They rang the bell and announced that Team Beyond won via Touchdown being unable to compete. Apparently, Touchdown broke his fibula.

- The Ohnaka Gang defeated The Creatures of the Deep. PCO was wearing a wig for the retro look. He was basically an SNK boss, able to take on the entire team by himself. Those poor, poor crab people.

- FIST defeated the Galactic Wildlife Commission. Great match with Thunderfrog being his usual weird self. Tony Deppen got chants of "CHUCKY TWO!" which annoyed him.

- Los Ice Creams defeated the Sisters of the Mighty. Match went on like three times as long as it needed to. It went from goofy fun to a complete drag. In the end, Molly and Solo did submissions to the Ice Creams. Aja was going to put Kikutaro in a figure four, but he rolled her up for the pin.

- Tokyo Joshi Freedom Fighters defeated Team SHIMMER. SHIMMER played the heels and the Joshi girls were adorable as hell. I remember the match as being very good, but I can't even recall how it ended because the show was so drat long.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

drat, that's unfortunate for Mr.Touchdown. Was the suplex to the outside where both tumbled to the mats or did Touchdown fall on the ring apron while doing so?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Might be time for a 12 Large II to crown a new champ

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TV Zombie posted:

drat, that's unfortunate for Mr.Touchdown. Was the suplex to the outside where both tumbled to the mats or did Touchdown fall on the ring apron while doing so?

I didn't get a good look from my vantage point.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

King of Trios Night 2 Results:

- Rey de Voladores Round 1: Air Wolf defeated Carlos Romo, Cam Carter and Razerhawk. While there was some good flippy stuff going on, the two RdV matches felt like the lesser bouts of the night. Razerhawk had a moment where he screwed up something and did a string of moves where he couldn't get it together. During intermission, he had ice on his shoulder, so it looks like he legit injured himself in the match.

- KOT Quarterfinals: 4 Nations defeated the Ohnaka Gang. Seriously awesome match featuring PCO being seriously awesome. Did a tope, immediately got back in the ring, then did a tope in the other direction. A minute later, he did a moonsault off the top to the outside. In the end, Hoffman made Katarina tap out to a crossface.

- Lucas Calhoun, Jeremy Leary, Blanche Babish, Shazza McKenzie and Jessica Troy defeated the Creatures of the Deep and Blank. Fun stuff that ended with Leary giving Cajun Crawdad a Samoan drop while sitting on Calhoun's shoulders, followed by Blanche making him tap to the Soda Jerker.

- KOT Quarterfinals: Tokyo Joshi Freedom Fighters defeated Los Ice Creams. Tiny cute girls getting the best of comedy heels. Great moment where Hijo yelled, "I hate you, genie pants!" and Yuka Sakazaki got adorably sad.

During intermission, Touchdown was there on a crutch. Brian Milonas stopped by to mock him. Dasher hit him in the back of the head with a football.

- Rey de Voladores Round 1: A-Kid defeated Ophidian, Facade and Danjerhawk. Again, an iffy RdV match where a Xyberhawx guy got legit hurt. He took a bad fall outside of the ring and was straight-up out of it. Like, at one point, A-Kid stopped a spot he was going to do in order to leave the ring and attack Danjerhawk as a way of checking up on him. Danjerhawk returned to the ring, but he definitely wasn't all right and was instead helped to the back with the announcer never mentioning it. Can't help but think he was supposed to win, meaning the other three had to figure out a new match on the fly. Oh, and Facade is pretty cool as a 13-year-old's create-a-wrestler.

- KOT Quarterfinals: Team Beyond defeated the Nexus. Clean ending with Dickinson doing his projectile Crucifix Powerbomb to PJ Black. Sweet hoss-off between Tarver and Milonas thrown in there.

- Solo Darling defeated Madison Eagles by making her tap to the Sharpstinger.

- KOT Quarterfinals: Colony defeated FIST. Icarus now has terrible leg tattoos to go with his back. Deppen looked great here. Match ended with Huckabee putting Green Ant in a Stretch Muffler, only for Green to reverse it into the Chikara Special and forcing him to tap. After the match, as Bryce held up Green and Thief's hands, Fire looked from the corner and seemed like he was maybe going to join them. Instead, the Beyond team ran into the ring and laid them out, including that projectile Crucifix Bomb on Fire Ant. The fans chanted "CHIKARA!" but the three of them smugly clapped and said "BEYOND WRESTLING!"

They also announced that Night 3 will feature Eagles vs. Quack.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Miyu alone should whoop the rear end of everyone in this tournament because she's the best. Except PCO.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I think I saw a gif of the Hawk incident and it seemed like a powerbomb to the outside but no one was around to catch that Hawk which...seems strange. Pretty drat injuries occurring in this tourney.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Anything reach the ****/must see level yet?

Most interested in this FINALLY happening tomorrow:
https://twitter.com/SeriouslyEagles/status/1035997421044686853
https://twitter.com/MikeQuackenbush/status/1036058933654433793

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Remember going to a CHIKARA tour ages ago that Eagles was supposed to wrestle Asuka and Sara Del Rey at but missed due to injury (She was replaced by Jessie McKay AKA Billie Kay). Since SHIMMER only puts out 1 DVD a decade I have no idea how good she is anymore, but at the time I would have put her top 5 female talent in the world. Hope she's still got it but even if she doesn't, Quackenbush can pull a classic out of drat near anyone.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

RealFoxy posted:

Remember going to a CHIKARA tour ages ago that Eagles was supposed to wrestle Asuka and Sara Del Rey at but missed due to injury (She was replaced by Jessie McKay AKA Billie Kay). Since SHIMMER only puts out 1 DVD a decade I have no idea how good she is anymore, but at the time I would have put her top 5 female talent in the world. Hope she's still got it but even if she doesn't, Quackenbush can pull a classic out of drat near anyone.

Her Wrestlemania weekend SHIMMER match with Deonna Purrazzo was vintage form.

The match should be excellent. Both want to wrestle each other BAD.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'll be at the show tomorrow. Looking forward to that match

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I am so hyped for Eagles vs Quack.

But yeah, Danjerhawk trying to wrestle when he was totally out of it was sad. That whole match was not good. Just sloppy stuff from everyone.

Also, Mr Touchdown fell right in front of me and it didn't look bad at all. Felt like a total storyline injury but he was in a cast yesterday and Dasher said he had a strained fibula. So, I dunno.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
what the hell why are these spots

https://twitter.com/GolazoDan/status/1036210664203845632

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

WHY

made me cringe harder than anything I've seen in a deathmatch in the last 7 years

Dlowmx
Feb 5, 2007
Eh
To be fair, he fell on some pretty thick padding there

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dlowmx posted:

To be fair, he fell on some pretty thick padding there

not his head tho, that went straight to the concrete.

Dlowmx
Feb 5, 2007
Eh

coconono posted:

not his head tho, that went straight to the concrete.

The twitter thread said he was out there the next day wrestling, I’m hoping it was as close to hitting his head without hitting it. But yeah I’ll agree. High risk/very little reward.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Dlowmx posted:

The twitter thread said he was out there the next day wrestling, I’m hoping it was as close to hitting his head without hitting it. But yeah I’ll agree. High risk/very little reward.

He was in a ten man tag in night 2 and the babyface team kept trying too kill him too. It was a running joke so I assume he's fine.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

King of Trios Night 3 Results:

- KOT Semis: The Colony defeated Team Beyond. Very surprised this wasn't the finals. Green (bad leg) and Thief (bad shoulder) came out alone with no sign of Fire Ant. Beyond guys destroyed them, culminating in Dickinson's throwing powerbomb. Fire Ant finally showed up to break the pin. Fire ended up winning with the Beach Breaker, but this time while he stood victorious in the ring, his partners were too hurt on the outside and had to be helped to the back.

- KOT Semis: 4 Nations defeated Tokyo Joshi Freedom Fighters. Extremely fun match and the best use of the Joshi trio. Fun spot where they would grab Hoffman by the beard and throw him, grab Moretti by the hair and throw him, then go after Bonza and realize he has nothing to grab onto. 4 Nations finished Shoko off with the Ant Hill.

- Whisper defeated Carlos Romo. Fine match.

- Beast Warriors won the Tag Gauntlet to get their third point. Teams included Solo/Aja, Shazza/Troy, Callux/Volgar, Dez Peloton, Leary/Babbish, Crummels/Defarge, Thunderfrog/Wildcat, Nouveau Aesthetic and Hallowicked/Frightmare. Highlights include Babbish removing her gum and Crummels stealing it to put in his mouth, Solo and Aja teaming up to take down Callux and every single thing Thunderfrog said. Dude is more hilarious than ever. The best was when the Nouveau Aesthetic guys were beating him up and he yells, "Why are you guys so weird?!" Later on, Blank got on the apron to distract him and Thunderfrog grabbed his hammer. The ref told him to get rid of it, so he threw it at Blank. Blank spent the rest of the match pinned down on the floor until Thunderfrog freed him during intermission.

- Madison Eagles defeated Mike Quackenbush. As fantastic as you'd expect. Ending came with Quack backflipping off the top rope, landing on his feet and tweaking his knee. Eagles then made him tap to the STF.

- RDV Finals: Air Wolf defeated A-Kid. Great flippy match that got a "BOTH THESE GUYS!" chant in there. At one point you could hear Thunderfrog yelling from the back of the room, "This is awesome!"

- Colony defeated 4 Nations. Super exciting finals with a ton of false finishes. Part of the drama was how both teams had the same triple team finish, but even then, the ending came with Green Ant making Moretti tap to the Chikara Special. After the match, Worker Ant showed up to celebrate. The ring announcer was exclaiming that the ResistANTce are the King of Trios, but Fire Ant cut him off, grabbed the mic and said, "It's the Colony," finally accepting his partners.

Also, Fire Ant is now the only double-winner at Trios.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Thunderfrog is so fun. I really wish he could be on more shows, cause the dude is just so charismatic.

Also of note, Danjerhawk was out at the merch tables telling people he'll be fine. Razerhawk had his arm in some kind of self-made sling. Mr Touchdown was not anywhere that I saw on Night 3.

Kinda bummed Molly Holly only stayed for 1 night. Would have liked her to have been able to do more, but I guess she's retired so one match was enough.

https://twitter.com/MikeQuackenbush/status/1036373748465717248

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
Molly had a very positive experience at KOT and there's a non-zero chance CHIKARA can bring her in again.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Owns https://twitter.com/Kobald6/status/1037032408699363335

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

if it were ophidian and his wife those masks would not be photoshopped on

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

if it were ophidian and his wife those masks would not be photoshopped on

His wife doesn't wear a mask.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

She's an elf. they don't do masks.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Dasher is the interim-Grand Champion until Mr Touchdown gets back. So, I guess his injury was legit.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

DM Punk posted:

Dasher is the interim-Grand Champion until Mr Touchdown gets back. So, I guess his injury was legit.

I think it's just a good way for them to setup face vs face championship match between them at the end of the year.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

syzpid posted:

I think it's just a good way for them to setup face vs face championship match between them at the end of the year.

Hopefully not just Dasher being chumped out to make Touchdown mad.

Oh and the Colony being back makes me happy :) Ants go marching forever

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Results from It Came From Beneath the Sink:

- Juan Francisco and the Closers defeated the Hyper Beast Warriors. Rather than make a hot tag, Boar chose to go for the gore on Juan and missed. Juan made him pass out with an arm bar. After the match, Oleg started yelling at him and stormed off while Hype did a post-match promo about how Boar and Oleg are losers.

- Cajun Crawdad defeated some masked jobber. Worth noting that Crawdad's singles theme completely rules.

- Callux and Volgar defeated Fire Ant and Thief Ant. Had a really awesome spot where the Colony went for the Fall of Man on Callux and he countered it by catching them with a sidewalk slam/blackhole slam combo.

- Mick Moretti defeated Rory Gulak in a fun match. Coincidentally, this is Moretti's third point as he won a couple singles matches back in June 2017. He cut a promo about how he'd be back to become the new Grand Champion.

- Lucas Calhoun, Jeremy Leary and Blanche Babish defeated the Nouveau Aesthetic due to some miscommunication from the heels. After the match, Blank attacked Ursa Minor and covered him with paint.

- Whisper defeated Boomer Hatfield. A little off here and there, but when it was on, it was on.

- Mike Quackenbush, Solo Darling, Officer Barksdale and Green Ant defeated Hallowicked, Frantik, Defarge and Merlok. Handful of really sweet spots in this one. In the end, Quack jumped out of the ring to do a Doomsday Device. Barksdale was going to do a dive next, but Frantik got in his way instead. Barksdale maneuvered it into Frantik falling on his back and got a quick pin.

- Dasher Hatfield retained the Grand Championship against Travis Huckabee. Huckabee kept getting advantages by grabbing Dasher's tights, so in the end, Dasher did the same. On commentary, Juan Francisco was disgusted by that and called him a cheater. Dasher ended up making Huckabee tap to an abdominal stretch. No, really.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gavok posted:

Dasher Hatfield retained the Grand Championship against Travis Huckabee. Dasher ended up making Huckabee tap to an abdominal stretch. No, really.

I guess it's at least good to know the world title booking wasn't a JFDC-exclusive problem?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Gavok posted:

Results from It Came From Beneath the Sink:

- Juan Francisco and the Closers defeated the Hyper Beast Warriors. Rather than make a hot tag, Boar chose to go for the gore on Juan and missed. Juan made him pass out with an arm bar. After the match, Oleg started yelling at him and stormed off while Hype did a post-match promo about how Boar and Oleg are losers.

this is bad

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

KungFu Grip posted:

this is bad

It's weird booking to me that they decided to do that match AFTER King of Trios when it would have made more sense before so it at least explained why they weren't in the tournament.

Chris James 2 posted:

I guess it's at least good to know the world title booking wasn't a JFDC-exclusive problem?

There was at least a story in there about the health of Dasher's shoulder, but... still, it was a tap-out to an abdominal stretch. What the hell.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Wait, did Quack unretire? I thought wrestling had destroyed his body already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

CombineThresher posted:

Wait, did Quack unretire? I thought wrestling had destroyed his body already.
He has a very limited amount of matches left, but multi-man matches, especially where CHIKARA will do 8 man tags puts a lot less pressure on him.