Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chokes McGee posted:

Also jesus everyone on this show is inhumanly attractive.

James Remar was in his day too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Rhyno posted:

James Remar was in his day too.

dat voice do

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aleph Null posted:

dat voice do

He should do navigation and audio books. Wanna hear them tones more often.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I love James Remar because he took his typecasting and ran with it. Need a lovely dad? Get James Remar. Wilfred, Shannara, Dexter and I'm sure many more that I'm forgetting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Koalas March posted:

I love James Remar because he took his typecasting and ran with it. Need a lovely dad? Get James Remar. Wilfred, Shannara, Dexter and I'm sure many more that I'm forgetting.

Honorable mention Grey's Anatomy (Korev's dad.) and Gotham.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Honorable mention Grey's Anatomy (Korev's dad.) and Gotham.

I can't believe I forgot Grey's!! I'm so sorry Shonda. :negative:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Koalas March posted:

I can't believe I forgot Grey's!! I'm so sorry Shonda. :negative:

I'm so disappointed in you right now.

I only remembered because the wife has been power watching Grey's.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Koalas March posted:

James Remar is in Killzone 3 too. He plays the player's commanding officer and he has the single best spoken line in the entire goddamn franchise.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nine-gear crow posted:

James Remar is in Killzone 3 too. He plays the player's commanding officer and he has the single best spoken line in the entire goddamn franchise.

You are not wrong.

He's also great in so many small roles, he has a great line in Blade Trinity but I can't find it on YT.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I really hope they have their own version of Dakota at some point. With or without Virgil Hawkins.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xelkelvos posted:

I really hope they have their own version of Dakota at some point. With or without Virgil Hawkins.

BL is not a Milestone character and there's still bullshit over the state of Milestone Media so I wouldn't hold your breath.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Seeing James Remar in fatherly roles is kinda weird for me because I've always only ever thought of him as Ajax from The Warriors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL0ipXUD-uU

and the guy who killed the Phantom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2N7E4s_1dY

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ruddiger posted:

Seeing James Remar in fatherly roles is kinda weird for me because I've always only ever thought of him as Ajax from The Warriors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL0ipXUD-uU

and the guy who killed the Phantom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2N7E4s_1dY

I was going to comment about age but you're admitting to watching and remembering The Phantom... ...

dot dot dot

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I really hope they don't kill the cop friend. That was some solid police work by him.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I hope they explain why they are just keeping those powered kids on ice. Doesn't seem like they are experimenting on them so why does the vice principal lady have a quota?

howe_sam posted:

I really hope they don't kill the cop friend. That was some solid police work by him.

He's competent and a good cop. Outlook not so good. :ohdear:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I hope they explain why they are just keeping those powered kids on ice. Doesn't seem like they are experimenting on them so why does the vice principal lady have a quota?

I haven't watched latest yet so lol if I'm wrong but they're not gonna kill the Commissioner Gordon figure.

(narrator: "they did")

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Imagine that, Black Jesus."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bruceski posted:

"Imagine that, Black Jesus."

Never have I wanted to punch another human being harder.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

An episode or two back, was it my imagination, or did Anissa/Thunder take a bullet to the head and it ricocheted off? That'd be a trip if Black Lightning's daughters are bullet proof, but he isn't.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

An episode or two back, was it my imagination, or did Anissa/Thunder take a bullet to the head and it ricocheted off? That'd be a trip if Black Lightning's daughters are bullet proof, but he isn't.

Yeah she can take a bullet as long as she's in super mode (when she does that way too loud inhaling sound) but of course that means she's more than open for one whenever she's not prepped for it.

BL had a much better defense with his lightning shield

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Yeah she can take a bullet as long as she's in super mode (when she does that way too loud inhaling sound) but of course that means she's more than open for one whenever she's not prepped for it.

BL had a much better defense with his lightning shield

It costs a lot more money to do and it just as effective when he's caught flat footed.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Not to mention his lightning shield has a real bad tendency for ricochets.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Seeing as all the dealers in town have been having a hard time getting green lightning but they were able to plant a big bag in his car, my guess is they're using those kids to manufacture it somehow.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

If I recall, when Gambi was arguing with the lead ASA agent that they should capture Black Lightning instead of killing him, he said something along the lines of, "Capturing one more metahuman isn't going to teach us how to make our own."

My assumption is that there's some sort of experimentation/analysis happening there since the powers are an unintended side effect- I think they're still trying to figure out what the gently caress they did by accident.

No idea on the quota thing, though. That surprised me too, unless it's active experimentation.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I assume the quota is to give an excuse for her to notice Jennifer's powers and try to kidnap her.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

OmniBeer posted:

If I recall, when Gambi was arguing with the lead ASA agent that they should capture Black Lightning instead of killing him, he said something along the lines of, "Capturing one more metahuman isn't going to teach us how to make our own."

My assumption is that there's some sort of experimentation/analysis happening there since the powers are an unintended side effect- I think they're still trying to figure out what the gently caress they did by accident.

No idea on the quota thing, though. That surprised me too, unless it's active experimentation.

There is also the weird thing were Green Light has the potential to cause super powers, and they are looking for that, making it even stranger.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Burning_Monk posted:

There is also the weird thing were Green Light has the potential to cause super powers, and they are looking for that, making it even stranger.

Well if they are using their previous captives from decades ago to make GL and they're starting to die off, that explains why they're just now starting to kidnap more kids with powers to replace them.

Given the whole government link it's probably tied to some super-soldier type of program.

Now I feel silly for speculating on comic book story lines.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
"Hey, where and when should we plant this big bag of evidence in his car?"

"In broad daylight, sirens blaring, in front of the entire school, facing the windows."

"GENIUS!"

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

ApeHawk posted:

"Hey, where and when should we plant this big bag of evidence in his car?"

"In broad daylight, sirens blaring, in front of the entire school, facing the windows."

"GENIUS!"

That was part of their plan: humiliate the well-loved powerful black man to put him and everyone who looks up to him in their place. It was entirely on purpose.

Edit: they wanted poo poo to get messy but he MLKed the gently caress out of everybody and made the cops look like assholes.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Aleph Null posted:

That was part of their plan: humiliate the well-loved powerful black man to put him and everyone who looks up to him in their place. It was entirely on purpose.

No, I mean, how did no one see them plant the evidence? They weren't being particularly stealthy.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ApeHawk posted:

No, I mean, how did no one see them plant the evidence? They weren't being particularly stealthy.

They didn't necessarily plant the poo poo in the car at the school and the small bag scene is easy to palm while searching.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

RandomBlue posted:

They didn't necessarily plant the poo poo in the car at the school and the small bag scene is easy to palm while searching.

They literally showed them planting the poo poo in the car at the school

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Azhais posted:

It was pretty comical too...

Put stuff in car.
Count to 10.
"Oh what do we have here?"

I'd think it was unrealistic if we didn't have actual video of dumbass cops doing that exact thing on youtube.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Azhais posted:

Ah, must've glanced away, I just saw them picking it up out of the trunk.

See, it worked. :)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

RandomBlue posted:

Ah, must've glanced away, I just saw them picking it up out of the trunk.

See, it worked. :)

The one detective that got arrested at the end tossed it on top of the spare tire right when they got there then shouted out orders to "check every nook and cranny". One of the other beat cops actually found the bag and pulled it out.

Wasn't quite as blatant as just pulling the bag out of his coat and proclaiming he found it like you usually end up with

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

ApeHawk posted:

Does it matter if someone saw it? They are cops. Even if you have it on video, when it is white cops vs black kids, you know who gets the benefit of the doubt.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Azhais posted:

The one detective that got arrested at the end tossed it on top of the spare tire right when they got there then shouted out orders to "check every nook and cranny". One of the other beat cops actually found the bag and pulled it out.

Wasn't quite as blatant as just pulling the bag out of his coat and proclaiming he found it like you usually end up with

Pretty sure the same guy who planted it "found" it 10 seconds later.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Burning_Monk posted:

That's what I though. The thing is that everyone was basically watching from the windows into the parking lot and the car's trunk probably wasn't all that visible from the school. i.e. no one who wasn't a cop say anything amiss.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Burning_Monk posted:

Yeah, he opened up a compartment, threw it in there, closed the compartment and moved some other stuff around then reopened the same compartment and "found" the bag he'd just put there. Some of the other cops would have seen it very clearly, but I don't know how much of that the people watching from the windows would be able to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
The point was that it doesn't take much to frame a black man, even the flimsiest of see-through planted evidence in broad daylight is okay, because the man they are arresting is black. And, believe it or not, black people are still not treated very well in the American justice system and when it's the word of dozens of black students vs two white cops and a black cop, the cops are going to win. Every time.
That's it. That's the point. It was a sloppy, telegraphed attack that was nonetheless 100% successful because racism. Racism is real and bad and happens every single loving day.
Nobody needs to over-analyze so much. It is what it is and it is a horrible reminder that yep, that's the world we live in, at least in the USA.

Edit: it's the point of most of the things that happen on the show to be honest. I guess more people are blind to how it really is than I thought. I'm super-loving white but grew up in the South, so this poo poo just jumps out at me as the same tired, broken poo poo I saw all the time.

Edit2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CmzT4OV-w0

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 6, 2018

• Locked thread