Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

BSam posted:

gently caress yeah

I look forward to whatever they choose to do with this show, keeping it separate, or joining it to the Arrowverse. Either way it will be great.

I'm all in.

I'm scared to check Reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've never met a black guy under 6'2".

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chokes McGee posted:

So you've never seen Kevin Hart. Got it.

I've never met him. He looks like hard work.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Atreiden posted:

Man this show so far is amazing. It's just so much better than the other superhero shows.
I like Peter Gambi ( the tailor) and I also doesn't think we really need a backstory for why he has a Batcave and super hacking skills, but I'm sure we are going to get it. For me, it's enough that he has known Jefferson Pierce since he was 12 and helped him after his father died.
If anyone on the other hand wants to be spoiled a bit, James Ramer dropped som teasers about his characters background in an interview https://www.cbr.com/black-lightning-james-remar-gambi-interview/

I love the elevator guy. "I got you man" "I'm taking the stairs, stay black"

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GobiasIndustries posted:

I don't think it's bulletproof like 100% of this will not affect you, just that they won't actually get into you and gently caress things up. Kinda like paintball maybe? You'll get some bruises but it won't cause serious harm.

Didn't Dexter's dad say it was bulletproof when they were in the Black Cave?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Klungar posted:

Getting shot in a bulletproof vest just prevents the bullet from going through you, you still suffer from impact forces and bruises and what not. It's not Mythril.

You must be new to DC shows. Batman might as well be made out of titanium.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bruceski posted:

Is "Blacksploitation" the right term for this show's plot beats? I've never been sure where the actual genre ends and "just slapping it onto any movie with black folks" begins. Or, for that matter, if the term is actually racist and I shouldn't be using it.

I think when it aims to be reasonably close to real life in a lot of ways, isn't it just TV? I mean it doesn't seem to be any worse than Luke Cage, that was like Undercover Brother without no jokes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xelkelvos posted:

If Black Lightning was closer to a more typical Arrowverse show it'd basically be Black Dynamite with DC Comics characters.

Ninja please.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

nine-gear crow posted:

Jennifer said she was 18 in this episode, and Anissa seems to be in the 21-25-ish range. It’s a CW show though. Age is kinda meaningless. Hell, look at the weirdos in the Arrow thread who think shipping Thea and Quinten is a drat fine idea :barf:

Yeah, she's all bone....

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

Did you ever watch Black Jesus? That was really great.

That makes me sad, Charlie Murphy's cancer was making him so thin.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bruceski posted:

Supergirl too. She doesn't even wear her glasses half the time and nobody's put 2 and 2 together.

She's defying the CW superhero codes.

Have secret identity, tell everyone about it.
Have secret base, everyone drops by for beer and/or fight

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

What a way to find out Charlie Murphy died :negative: :cry: :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSuCjX_QqpM

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

edit: drat wrong thread, good episode, I like how Gambi is apparently John Wick.

My prediction for next episode:

Detective: Yo BL I can't believe you killed those people.
BL: Naw I was set up, c'mon man.
DT: oh okay, cool.

I feel like his merking outfit needed more buttons

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

Please tell me there's a bunch of "Time Lesbian, not Time Bi-Sexual" truthers who insist Sara never hooking up with Constantine.

If you can't throw a rock at google and hit a tumblr lesiban who's livid at the thought of it, i'd be surprised.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

I more or less buy his loose story to Jefferson since it's obvious he was protecting him (at least his identity) from Lady Eve and the rest. But like that's kind of secondary to the part where he was complicit in decades of secret experimentation on poor people as well as the perpetuation if the drug trade and organized crime.

Gambis gonna have to work to walk that back with me. That's pretty drat bad and im going to feel a little uncomfortable if he's just welcomed back into the fold later because he's needed or forgiveness.

Why do you have a stake in this ? Were you living there back then?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrianWilly posted:

That's a strange thing to ask. Being embittered towards a character because of lovely things that they've done/are doing is kind of a sensible emotion, especially if the story doesn't crack down on them enough for those lovely things. More shows have been ruined by that kind of practice than not.

Motherfucker didn't do anything. He was there, had a job, didn't like it and bailed, went full whistleblower and helped raise him into who he is. Sure he kept a secret, but WHo's Jefferson to stomp on someone keeping secrets.

Besties in 2 weeks. Book it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Khalil, you have regained your ability to grow hair walk.

I guess we have the answer to the quota question. Yea they were experimenting / training them, but they have a super short life expectancy.

What was that supposed to be under Syonide's skin? Is she a lizard person? :tinfoil:

Close, she's South African.

• Locked thread