Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Grace Choi? That's a slightly obscure choice, but might be interesting if she ends up actually being an Amazon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Choi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The review makes me interested. It's definitely going into sensitive topics deeper than Supergirl has with is feminism stance. It may not be as intersectional as the current Black Lightning comic, but there's definitely going to be more than one controversial scene involving racial politics and policing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

In the comics, he was a metahuman at birth and turned out to be stupidly powerful. How they're going to handle it here, I dunno.

Loved that he was wearing his original costume in the video of the convenience store robbery.

That didn't look like his original costume. It was missing the high collar and the afro.

nine-gear crow posted:

They’ve said it’s an alternate Earth from the other shows, but the line about superheroes in other cities seems like they’re leaving the door open for it actually being on Earth-1 after all.

It's definitely a weird way to leave it open, but the Flash writers have already shrugged their shoulders at continuity and just stopped caring. It'd also be a strange sort of apropos that one of the first heroes in Earth-1 was black so everyone else in the country/world simply didn't give a gently caress.

An alternative is if they start folding Milestone stuff into this and keep it separate from Earth-1

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ruddiger posted:

I really liked the news commentary peppered throughout the episode. "Why is it when they get someone in a costume, they're a superhero, yes when we get one, they're a vigilante?" was pretty good.

poo poo got pretty intense with both police encounters too, and I wasn't expecting someone to ever be used as a human shield on a CW show (well, outside of that middle east combat zone show).

I swear Arrow's done the human shield thing before on at least one occasion.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

We probably don't need to know how he started, but it would inform viewers of why he started. Particularly with his specific beef with Tobias Whale and their history. Especially with how Lightning was presumed dead by Whale.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bruceski posted:

We got that. Tobias killed his newspaper reporter father for an origin story, then he started taking out his anger on all levels of the criminals in town which got on Tobias's tits because they were working for him. Then there's a shootout that leaves Lightning bleeding nearly to death in a bathtub, and since he didn't show up anymore Tobias assumed he was dead.

Right, I forgot about that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I dont know posted:

I'm not a fan of the costume. It looks like he's going to play laser tag.

More like tazer tag.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

If it's anything like the suit in the newest comics, the glowing bits are supposedly charged by his own ambient electric field (and I guess it's implied he can affect electricity around him).

I hope we get some sly reference to his original costume

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

We already did. He was watching video from the Old Days when he had a similar costume to the comics, and the grocery store clerk made a Parliament reference while talking about him.

The description would match with the original, but the video looked more like his 90s-2000s outfit.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

A lot of the beats are pretty Blaxploitation in nature, plot and musical, but they're toned die to be less like what they're inspired by and couched with more sober and sobering scenes to give the whole thing a more serious weight.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

If Black Lightning was closer to a more typical Arrowverse show it'd basically be Black Dynamite with DC Comics characters.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Avalerion posted:

That was weird, is that a thing you need to announce to your parents in the first place nowadays?

It was a very mature and responsible thing if a bit "liberal" as they put it. The talk between Jefferson and the boyfriend was 100% awkward too which really made the scene of him getting shot hurt more.

It does make me wonder just a little if the shot being missed was intentional or an accident (the trajectory was also weird, but I can chalk that up to going through someone's body before heading downward at a relatively sharper angle).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

It just won't be the same without Dwayne McDuffie.

I wonder if Aaron McGruder is interested in superheroes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Koalas March posted:

I remember getting excited for a new McGruder project, but I can't remember what it was now for the life of me. Boondocks is still great, I would love a live action one on Netflix or something.

I just checked his wiki page and it mentioned a series with Hudlin on an alt history in response to the Confederates series with this alt history being Black people get three states as reparations for the Civil War

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The way it looks, she's handling a different sector of business (protection) than Whale (drugs and prostitution) and while at the sane organisational level, is higher regarded or status in some way

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

So it's Mirakuru in pill form.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

I kinda wish they were more clear about being in the Arrow-verse because you know Count Vertigo.

They're not gonna confirm or deny it until all of the season numbers are in. Honestly, I'd rather it stay its own thing.

howe_sam posted:

...was that dude still alive??

Doesn't look like. He has autopsy stitch work. There's definitely a lot more to Lady E than has been shown and she'll likely be the one at the end of the road rather than Tobias. That he's relatively new is probably also why he's clearly the low man on the totem pole among the higher ups.

Edit: It's probably voodoo and she's making a zombie

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at Feb 7, 2018 around 02:28

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

There's only room for one hardass in any group and in crossovers, that's Ollie.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, I wish we had some idea of what his endgame is. Like, he isn't directily working with the 100 since he wants BL back, but he isn't helping BL as well as he could be. He's taking off with a shotgun to a crime scene for... reasons? Best case scenario he recognized the daughter and was coming to provide backup, worst case he was coming to take her down and we get the reveal that the reason this show doesn't have as many metas as Flash/Arrow is because Gambi's been hunting and killing them behind the scenes as soon as they surface. I guess Flash has gotten me too used to villains very clearly spelling out their whole plan and/or the show revealing it for them.

I hope he gets redeemed and doesn't go full heel. I like his ridiculous unexplained Gambi-cave too much to lose him in a mid-season finale or something.

There's a lot unknown about Gambi. I don't think he's malicious, but he has his own reasons for what greater good he's trying to serve, even if it means undermining BL. He's taking a shotgun to a crime scene because there was a super powered meta stomping around and he wasn't sure whose side they were on and if they were even still there. That's also why he didn't poke his head inside the building that the lot belongs too so as to not draw any unnecessary attention.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

kjetting posted:

I thought he maybe recognized Jeff’s daughter on the video and went out to take measurements for her crime fighting suit and didn’t tell her father because he wouldn’t approve. Or something. But definitely that he caught onto the identity of the metahuman.
Maybe I misremember the scene but I got the impression that the last clip he watched before erasing was the one before she pulled up her hood.
Still, there’s now two occurrences where Gambi hides information from Jeff. When he deleted the first video, wasn’t he also heard saying “I’m sorry, Jeffrey” or something?

From what I remember of the scene, it didn't look like he saw who it was pulling up the hood as the face was obscured by shadow. At least as far as was shown on screen.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

So about not having backstory episodes for Jefferson, I think that's gonna happen now since it's fairly obvious that he was one of the kids that developed powers from the experiments and Gambi was 100% involved.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Avalerion posted:

The 100 in particular do seem like the kind of problem that could be solved with a lot of punching. Could even turn it into a family bonding experience, now.

Fair enough though if this isn’t meant to be that kind of superhero show.

The thing is that The 100 is just one arm of a much larger organization that seems a lot more systemic and pervasive. This also doesn't include the ASA and whatever they're doing which may or may not be linked. The 100 is the problem in Freeland that's here and now, but it's not the source. It's just the most prominent face.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I would assume Lady Eve is a known criminal and if not all the guns and poo poo they find at her place would be a tip off that they weren't just civilians, but like, going all Punisher on her is still crossing a line.

The news report makes it clear that Lady Eve was publicly on the up and up and a "pillar of the community" so the assumption that BL went after her wasn't just over the line, it's deep into villainous territory.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Given that BL is meant to be one season since they're extremely unsure of it getting a second when it was written, I feel like most of the mysteries introduced well get answered at some point in the course of the season while less pressing, overarching ones like the ASA are fodder for S2

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Aww, crap. My bad. Guess I was just filling in the blank everytime someone said the name.

They even had an insert sing during the episode it was introduced and everything

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The odd thing is that Supergirl is from a different Earth from Vixen so this one might still be a different one with all of the heroes in one universe. Of those are the only ones they could legally name drop.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I really hope they have their own version of Dakota at some point. With or without Virgil Hawkins.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Yeah she can take a bullet as long as she's in super mode (when she does that way too loud inhaling sound) but of course that means she's more than open for one whenever she's not prepped for it.

BL had a much better defense with his lightning shield

It costs a lot more money to do and it just as effective when he's caught flat footed.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Burning_Monk posted:

Pretty sure the same guy who planted it "found" it 10 seconds later.

That's what I though. The thing is that everyone was basically watching from the windows into the parking lot and the car's trunk probably wasn't all that visible from the school. i.e. no one who wasn't a cop say anything amiss.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

He's also either biologically immortal or ages incredibly slowly because he's looked the same for at least 30 years.

I want to say that he's got the same thing Lala had happen to him since he seems to know all the important words to control Lala.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Catfishenfuego posted:

The real question of this episode is why can't the the ASA/vice principle afford an interface better than some 1993 MS-DOS poo poo?

Because it's the government and it's a pain in the rear end to update poo poo.

There's a lot of hooks for an S2 which is really good and I hope it either stays in its own universe or is independent from Arrow/Flash's/Legends universe. Supergirl's universe would work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

We never really got an answer as to the weird poo poo Lady Eve was doing and I feel like that's something S2 should go into at some point if only because she was a really good presence as a villain.

• Locked thread