Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I had the opportunity to read the original pilot script and it blew chunks.

But it was also the first working draft, and I'm hoping a few of the plot points are ignored, reduced, or eliminated entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm a bit worried that they blew their load by going immediately to GANG MEMBERS INVADE THE SCHOOL as a third act.

Like, how do you escalate from there?

But hell, that was great.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

From the original pilot script, Gambi exposition-dumps about Jefferson's powers.

Quoted directly from it.... Without a suit you’re like a live wire, unpredictable and raw. The powers drain you both physically and mentally much more rapidly. The more power you use, the longer it takes for you to replenish. Your cells are like mini receptors that can absorb the electrical energy around you. The suit is like a grounding wire, it gives you better control and protects your body from side effects.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

A bunch of reviews and commentary keep mentioning the show's slow pace and I'm just like... are we watching the same series?

A normally paced cable series would probably have her discover her powers right about now, and maybe end the season with her suiting up and fighting crime for the first time.

That they played the reveal for the first time so suddenly really threw me. I thought for sure that we'd get at least a few episodes where her Mom or Dad didn't know and we would get some SecretIdentity! angst. Instead, nope, let's bulldoze right past that and get to the even better and thornier questions.

The Khalil material is easy the weakest part, and feels very short-sighted. His arc is one that would've hugely benefitted from slowing down, but instead its VERY clear they're rushing him to get us to a finale-ready narrative place.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

RandomBlue posted:

Series finale is Black Lightning running a GOTV effort and finally cleaning up the streets by electing not-Republicans.

As someone who works in politics I nearly cried in laughter.

• Locked thread