Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

VJeff posted:

Run a fan poll for who gets the shot, Jay White vs Naito. :v:

Fan polls have historically not been good for Naito

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It also looks like they’re building a Suzuki-gun vs LIJ war, and hey, that would be fun for the IC belt.

I’d forgotten that none of the G1 winners have taken the case to Tokyo Dome and succeeded, so yeah, it’ll be Go Ace and he’ll probably drop it at MSG. But even plotting that out, wow, that should be memorable.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It also gives Tanahashi a greater lead in the one record he still holds over Okada with the title: Most reigns. (Okada already has longest single run, longest combined time as champ and most defences in a single reign)

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Benne posted:

Except Naito doesn't have a claim to the briefcase like Jay White (only one who beat Tana) and Okada (draw+Tana wants to beat him) do, so why would they even make that match?

Because he'll pin Tanahashi in a tag match and demand a singles shot at the case obviously.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I don't think they'd do an IWGP heavyweight title change outside of Japan, even if it is MSG

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I feel like having Kenny lose at the dome to anyone but Okada or Naito would be a big mistake. After making the quest to beat Okada so long and desperate and involve this incredibly emotional and backstory-heavy face turn through Ibushi, losing the belt on the biggest stage of the year to the guy who's already passed the torch just rubs me the wrong way, no matter how much I like Tana.

But it could be worth it if Kenny were the first man to ever win the IGWP title on Foreign soil in a forum as historic as the Garden. It would be New Japan showing in the biggest way possible just how serious they are about western expansion.

I dunno, I'm torn.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Sanguinia posted:

I feel like having Kenny lose at the dome to anyone but Okada or Naito would be a big mistake. After making the quest to beat Okada so long and desperate and involve this incredibly emotional and backstory-heavy face turn through Ibushi, losing the belt on the biggest stage of the year to the guy who's already passed the torch just rubs me the wrong way, no matter how much I like Tana.

But it could be worth it if Kenny were the first man to ever win the IGWP title on Foreign soil in a forum as historic as the Garden. It would be New Japan showing in the biggest way possible just how serious they are about western expansion.

I dunno, I'm torn.

Im always team kenny, but Tana winning at the Dome and defending at the Garden is a pretty wonderful way for him to enter the post prime and settle back down to the upper midcard. I like it.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I like Tanahashi a lot so I want him to win the championship at the big wrestling event. I feel like I've achieved some sort of internet wrestling fan equilibrium where I'm back to unironically cheering for the smiling good guy with no caveats or asterisks.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Sanguinia posted:

I dunno, I'm torn.

None of this is as important as the Ace air guitaring in the middle of the building he's wanted to wrestle in his whole life

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I just remembered that 3(?) years ago when I was living in Japan I very nearly booked a vacation to Osaka just to see Kenny and Tana wrestle only for it to be denied by injury. Granted, that was going to be an absolutely unprecedented Ladder Match. Still, I'm happy it's going to happen on such a grand stage regardless of my reservations about Tana's potential victory.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
In the interrupting time between new wrestling, me and a buddy watched Power Struggle 2013. Thoughts:

• A younger Young Bucks against a Taka/Taichi team where OH MY GOD TAICHI'S HAIR. Majestic floof.

• Stardust Genius Naito's ring intro includes him doing the Yoshi-Hashi "BUUUUUUUUUH" arms-out exclamation and it never fails to make me laugh. It's the universal sign of being a dingus. Also, Tanaka just brutalizes him. Naito can take some damage, and I wish his offense made that make sense.

• Ishii / Tanahashi showing off both guys being brilliant, though I'd argue both of them are actually better now than they were then. Ishii's timing and sense of the moment are unparalleld; Tana rose to the tough-and-hard occasion and got down and dirty. Magical stuff, regardless.

• Oh my god, Prince Devitt. Oh, that jacket. And now I almost get Bad Luck Fale; he and Devitt had chemistry, y'all. Fale needs his best friend back. Original Bullet Club has a fantastic sense of fury to it.

• If you don't understand Karl Anderson in WWE, it's because he left all his charisma in Japan. He exudes more personality in the first half of his title match with Okada than his entire run in America to date. I'm picturing Anderson doing the Firing Squad angle instead of Tama Tonga, and it works so much better in my head.

• Also, this is the show where Naito's infamous title challenge happens. His emergence, followed by the icy, oppressive silence that lingers all the way to the ring, is absolutely sickening in its discomfort. You can see it in Naito's eyes that he's hosed. You can see in Okada's eyes that Naito's hosed. Like, every backfired WWE moment has zero impact in comparison to the Naito challenge at the Dome. I even realized halfway through the show that Oh My God, This Is THAT Show, and knowing it's going to happen doesn't make it any easier to stomach. My wife doesn't watch wrestling, but she's a theater girl through and through; I described it as a rising actor finally getting his starring role and bombing in his debut, and the feeling you'd feel from that. She got it. I showed her the clip, and even SHE felt ill. I'm legitimately impressed that Naito has come to where he is; that sort of moment in someone's life could destroy everything.

If you have a couple of hours to kill and want to see the prelude to what you're dealing with now - all the major players, the early days of a glorious faction, and arguably the most important failure you'll ever witness - seek out Power Struggle 2013 on World. It's a good time.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

TriffTshngo posted:

I like Tanahashi a lot so I want him to win the championship at the big wrestling event. I feel like I've achieved some sort of internet wrestling fan equilibrium where I'm back to unironically cheering for the smiling good guy with no caveats or asterisks.

It’s called “booking a smiling babyface right” and it’s understandable to be slightly confused about “he’s a bit of a Boy Scout type of character, but I’m... 100% fine with this? And want him to go all the way?” since WWE hasn’t done it well since...

... have they ever been good at it?

Of course part of it is that Tanahashi is one of the all-time greats so of course it works, Tanahashi can make almost anything work and if it doesn’t he’ll play air guitar and you’ll forget whatever went wrong

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Not booking him like an idiot goes a long way. If someone tries and cheats Tanahashi often has an answer to it. If someone gets dirty he has no problem getting dirty as well.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

Not booking him like an idiot goes a long way. If someone tries and cheats Tanahashi often has an answer to it. If someone gets dirty he has no problem getting dirty as well.

This is something that bothers me quite a bit in modern booking. I know the heel is supposed to be a dirty cheating fucker and the face is meant to be brave and forthright, but the face still gets paid to beat people up for a living. I really like it when Smiling Babyface has had enough bullshit and develops a mean streak. This is how I finally clicked with Tana. He is very much not an idiot, and he's vicious as hell when the situation calls for it.

quote:

If you have a couple of hours to kill and want to see the prelude to what you're dealing with now - all the major players, the early days of a glorious faction, and arguably the most important failure you'll ever witness - seek out Power Struggle 2013 on World. It's a good time.

I'll check it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 22, 2018

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DangerDummy! posted:

This is something that bothers me quite a bit in modern booking. I know the heel is supposed to be a dirty cheating fucker and the face is meant to be brave and forthright, but the face still gets paid to beat people up for a living. I really like it when Smiling Babyface has had enough bullshit and develops a mean streak. This is how I finally clicked with Tana. He is very much not an idiot, and he's vicious as hell when the situation calls for it.

It's ok, WWE just did this with noted fan favourite Becky Ly... oh.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

DangerDummy! posted:

It was his match with Naito at least years Dominion where Tanahashi really clicked with me. Like here is this rear end in a top hat beating up a belt that Tanahashi holds dear. Naito is walking down to the ring and Tanahashi just is not having it. He starts to beat up Naito and is being super vicious about it. The crowd I think was booing him at one point. That was the match were I was like "drat this guy can get mean when he wants to be."

I think that's one of my gripes with Cena. No matter what happens he never seems to have that mean streak.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Tanahashi busted out the mean streak against Okada. Okada was just stuntin on him, doing all his moves and having a great time. Tanahashi just got that look on his face that Misawa does and then dragon screwed Okada's kneecap off. Later did a High Fly Flow into the audience(over the security railing!) onto Okada.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Not to mention his match with Suzuki at this year's G1 where he swapped sides on the dragon screw and basically tried to break MiSu's leg for loving with him.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm new to this and tried to do a little research so I apologise in advance but I was wondering about the G1. If the finals is a fight between the winners of the two blocks, what happens if a block has two people with an even score at the end? Do they just not book it this way?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Spikeguy posted:

I'm new to this and tried to do a little research so I apologise in advance but I was wondering about the G1. If the finals is a fight between the winners of the two blocks, what happens if a block has two people with an even score at the end? Do they just not book it this way?

It actually happened this year. B block had Omega, Naito, Ibushi and ZSJ all on 12 at the end. The tie-breaker is based on head-to-head record, so Ibushi went through because he beat all 3 of the others when they wrestled in the block.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Spikeguy posted:

If two people in a block tie in points, the person who won between the two of them in their match together gets the nod.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Spikeguy posted:

Whoever won the match between the two wins the tiebreaker.

Block B ended in a four way tie, but Ibushi beat all three he was tied with, so he moved to the final.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Spikeguy posted:

They use the result in the match between them as a tiebreaker (or cumulative results if it's 3 or more). So this year if A block winds up with Okada/White joint then White wins it because he beat Okada.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, the answer to 'what if A, B & C all have equal points, but A beat B, B beat C and C beat A' is that it would probably be a triple-threat playoff, but realistically, they wouldn't book it like that.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

e: beaten

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Spikeguy posted:

Block goes to winner of the match between those two. Could be dicey I suppose if they tied each other, but that is unlikely, and then I suppose they could just count down their wins over the next highest scoring people until they get to one that someone hadn't defeated.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Also, the answer to 'what if A, B & C all have equal points, but A beat B, B beat C and C beat A' is that it would probably be a triple-threat playoff, but realistically, they wouldn't book it like that.

Checking reddit, apparently this did happen over 40 years ago.

A, B, and C each faced each other in tiebreaker singles matches, whoever wins against the other two advances. Presumably if it happened again they'd just repeat until someone won against the other two.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 22, 2018

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Just finished night 2 and dear god I don't think anything Daniel Bryan does from here on out can put him back at the top of my list as best wrestlers. poo poo, not even top 5. God I love NJPW.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Spikeguy posted:

Just finished night 2 and dear god I don't think anything Daniel Bryan does from here on out can put him back at the top of my list as best wrestlers. poo poo, not even top 5. God I love NJPW.

To be fair, B block has 9 of the best wrestlers on the planet... and Tama Tonga.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Tama Tonga is good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Rob posted:

Tama Tonga is good.

Tama Tonga would fit right in on the undercard of a WWE PPV. Which can be taken as either compliment or insult as you see fit.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I remember when Tama was really green and bad. The Tama Tonga you see today is helluva lot better than 2014 Tama.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

coconono posted:

I remember when Tama was really green and bad. The Tama Tonga you see today is helluva lot better than 2014 Tama.

Tama used to have potential. He doesn't have that any more.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

tama is good, y'all marks

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Getting heat is only good when it makes people want to pay money to see you get your rear end kicked. No-one wants to see Kenny get his revenge, they just want Tama to gently caress off to WWE or Impact or wherever

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I could easily see Ran a in the upper card in the WWE. Like Gaz-L said, that's up to you if it's a compliment or not.

I didn't care for the BCOG shenanigans this year, but I usually enjoy seeing the Tongans.

Usually.

E: Tama, not Ran a. Goddamn phone.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 22, 2018

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SalTheBard posted:

I think that's one of my gripes with Cena. No matter what happens he never seems to have that mean streak.

Cena looked like he was trying to real world murder AJ at RR 2017 and whoa, what a shock, it's probably the best match of his career.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

a bunch of njpw guys are being advertised for the roh show here in vegas the weekend before the long beach show

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

LIJ (Naito, Bushi, EVIL) is going to be facing Volador Jr, La Park, Diamante Azul in Arena Mexico on the 31st

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

evil vs park is gonna be a lotta meat