Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the big scoop on this is that NJPW wanted to pay jericho a certain amount and jericho wanted a higher amount but they didn't want to pay it and the two parted ways in that negotiation without burning bridges unnecessarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Cavauro posted:

the big scoop on this is that NJPW wanted to pay jericho a certain amount and jericho wanted a higher amount but they didn't want to pay it and the two parted ways in that negotiation without burning bridges unnecessarily.

Big, if true.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

kenny omega vs chris jericho was "fine"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I legitimately think it may have been the best match I've ever seen Chris Jericho have. Maybe the HBK match at Wrestlemania 19 was a little better, but Jericho/Omega was absolutely incredible.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
That match was so well constructed and paced. To this day I have no clue how long it was because I was so wrapped up in it.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
My gut says the Naito match isn't worth Tokyo Dome money from NJ's perspective, but from Jericho's perspective he's justified in thinking he earned another big payday. Can't really fault either side if that's one of the big hang ups.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

New Japan's massive 2018 expansion was almost immediately cut back on too

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

sigmachiev posted:

My gut says the Naito match isn't worth Tokyo Dome money from NJ's perspective, but from Jericho's perspective he's justified in thinking he earned another big payday. Can't really fault either side if that's one of the big hang ups.

Yeah I doubt Jericho was eager to take a paycut if he was just gonna eat another pin (Naito can't really lose that match)

The Kenny program did great business but I can see if both sides are wary about diminishing returns

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Is this the reason NJPW is seemingly doubling down on Mysterio matches?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

rovert posted:

What the hell. I know you're making big card game money, Bushiroad, open up the drat wallet. :mad:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

rovert posted:

i wonder if a bunch of the new foreign njpw subs were cancelled the day after WK

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

VJeff posted:

What the hell. I know you're making big card game money, Bushiroad, open up the drat wallet. :mad:

Card games are on the decline, actually. The push Bushiroad is making now is mobile games (through Bushimo) and developing cross-media anime/live event franchises (Revue Starlight is their current swing at that; it stars several people who, through their internal talent agency HiBiKi, are basically Bushiroad employees, such as Maybe Future Mrs. Okada Mimori Suzuko and former joshi Aina Aiba; they ran it as a stage show over two days back in September and if the anime is a hit I imagine they'll tour that stage show around the country).

Running an LA dojo and doing multiple New Japan shows a year across the Pacific can get real expensive, real fast, so with their old money maker beginning to dive, it wouldn't be too surprising if they pulled back on it until they know they're in a better spot financially/TV Asahi gives them that better timeslot they're considering.

I would imagine that the thing that stopped them from pulling that plug was looking at the merch sales and the repeated suggestions from vendors that "yeah you could pull like ten thousand people to a show" in the US, which makes the expense worth it. It's a bit of a "this is a rare shot we have" moment that they really have to strike on.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

rovert posted:

Can you expand on this? Do you mean the talk about them doing a US brand?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I think the original plan was to do regular West Coast tours featuring mostly Western talent (and which the US belt was clearly created for), but that's obviously gone by the wayside. Maybe they looked at their travel receipts after the first Long Beach show and got second thoughts.

In any case, they seem to have pivoted to just doing big houses like Cow Palace as a one-off and leaving it at that.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

There’s also visa concerns which are getting harder to get approved thanks to US immigration policy going stupid.

Also economic anxiety in the US is increasing so a lot of fun money isn’t getting spent.

NJPW is correct in being concerned about losing their shirts trying to tour an increasingly xenophobic nation.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Running a bigger west coast venue a few times a year is probably a safer bet until they can establish a stronger foothold in the US.

Taking a conservative strategy is smart until they get a bigger TV or some other large cash influx to drive expansion

Not to mention WWE doesn't currently view them as a threat. Going for a more aggressive expansion will likely raise Vince's ire and that is especially dangerous for them considering how connected the McMahons are to the Trump Administration. Linda could easily make some calls and they'd suddenly find their visas revoked.

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 18, 2018

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

coconono posted:

There’s also visa concerns which are getting harder to get approved thanks to US immigration policy going stupid.

Also economic anxiety in the US is increasing so a lot of fun money isn’t getting spent.

NJPW is correct in being concerned about losing their shirts trying to tour an increasingly xenophobic nation.

Visa and likely tax concerns for some of the foreign talent too. Somebody like Juice, who stays overseas most of the year, would be much more impacted by living 50/50 than the foreign talent.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/realkevinkelly/status/986413855143231488?s=19

Kevin Kelly investigating the Showbuckle takedown.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Kevin Kelly gonna emerge from a bathhouse well with a KA-BAR clenched between his teeth to visit hot death upon his arch nemesis Shinpei Nogami.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Benne posted:

I think the original plan was to do regular West Coast tours featuring mostly Western talent (and which the US belt was clearly created for), but that's obviously gone by the wayside.
If that was the plan, I hope part of throwing it out was that they realized their US/international fans are not into New Japan just for Kenny, the Bucks and the other foreigners, but also love the native stars.
:unsmith:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Kevin's on the kase!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Kevin Kelly is the only person who knew about the videos and had them taken down so that he could play the hero and publicly 'look into it'. contemptible mongrel

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Cavauro posted:

Kevin Kelly is the only person who knew about the videos and had them taken down so that he could play the hero and publicly 'look into it'. contemptible mongrel

Jet fuel can't melt steel chairs

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/realkevinkelly/status/986641490838466561

According to Kelly, NJPW didn't take them down. Sounds like some kind of automated thing.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

They didn't take them down because it was him

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/987067295615696897?s=19

cams
Mar 28, 2003

he should have sipped the coffee into his mouth then spat it on to jake the snake instead, people love that

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

VJeff posted:

https://twitter.com/realkevinkelly/status/986641490838466561

According to Kelly, NJPW didn't take them down. Sounds like some kind of automated thing.

Yeah, there's been some issues on youtube caused by third party companies whose job it is to enforce IP for clients issuing C&Ds to licensed channels or channels of the original artist who the work comes from. I remember one dude had to threaten to sue a cable television channel to get them to stop issuing a C&D for something from his YouTube that they aired on their channel.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Yeah YouTube algorithms are also all sorts of hosed up too.

NJPW should just host Showbuckle videos on their YouTube channel and pay him to make them :-D.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Strawberry Panda posted:

NJPW should just host Showbuckle videos on their YouTube channel and pay him to make them :-D.

For real. The man does good work and it allows them to give further context to their angles and company without having to have a whole video department like WWE does (although they do wonderful work)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Strawberry Panda posted:

There's this thing called kayfabe though

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Rarity posted:

There's this thing called kayfabe though

Most of Showbuckle's videos adhere to kayfabe, though, describing, say, the Golden Lovers history through the characters of Kota and Kenny.

I think if NJPW was interested in doing English video packages to promote matches for international audiences, they could do worse than picking Showbuckle up to help write them.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Henare vs Tomohiro Ishii has been added to the card on the 24th

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Baron Corbyn posted:

Henare vs Tomohiro Ishii has been added to the card on the 24th
Sort of expected after how Henare acted in their tag matches, but still cool that it happens.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

revised cards:

ROAD TO WRESTLING DONTAKU
April 23rd at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST
Korakuen Hall

Ren Narita vs. Yota Tsuji
Yuji Nagata, Hiroyoshi Tenzan, and Manabu Nakanishi vs. Tomoyuki Oka, Shota Umino, and Tetsuhiro Yagi
Roppongi 3K vs. Suzuki-gun (Takashi Iizuka, Taichi, and TAKA Michinoku)
Juice, Makabe, Elgin, Henare, and KUSHIDA vs. CHAOS (Goto, Ishii, Yano, Y-H, and Ospreay
Hiroshi Tanahashi, David Finlay, and Ryusuke Taguchi vs. CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Jay White and Gedo)
L.I.J (Tetsuya Naito, EVIL, and SANADA) vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki and KES)
IWGP Jr Heavyweight Tag Team Championship:Suzuki-gun(c) (Yoshinobu Kanemaru and El Desperado) vs. L.I.J (Hiromu Takahashi and BUSHI)

ROAD TO WRESTLING DONTAKU
April 24th at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST
Korakuen Hall

Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Shota Umino, and Ren Narita vs. Yuji Nagata, Tomoyuki Oka, and Tetsuhiro Yagi
Roppongi 3K vs. Suzuki-gun (Takashi Iizuka, Taichi, and TAKA Michinoku)
Togi Makabe, Michael Elgin, and KUSHIDA vs. CHAOS (Toru Yano, YOSHI-HASHI, and Will Ospreay)
Toa Henare vs. Tomohiro Ishii
L.I.J vs. Suzuki-gun (Suzuki, KES, Kanemaru, and Despy)
Hiroshi Tanahashi, Juice Robinson, and Ryusuki Taguchi vs. CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Hirooki Goto, and Gedo)
IWGP US Championship:Jay White(c) vs. David Finlay

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NJPW not even batting an eye at DBS Jr’s law troubles is concerning. I’d heard there was a scuffle but that it was just that, a scuffle. No idea Roberts was pressing charges.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

coconono posted:

NJPW not even batting an eye at DBS Jr’s law troubles is concerning. I’d heard there was a scuffle but that it was just that, a scuffle. No idea Roberts was pressing charges.

theyre like the only promotion booking michael elgin in the whole world right now.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

coconono posted:

I mean, it's a misdemeanor. He'll most likely pay a 1000 dollar fine and that'll be it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Now if he'd been caught with a joint...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
So a few days ago, I posted this:

frankenfreak posted:

Watching the Lions Gate show, I'm already impressed by Yuya Uemura.
Now Dave (rightfully) points out Tsuji had a good match on the Korakuen shows, better (in my opinion) than Uemura vs. Nagi on the other one.

What do these two matches have in common? The opponent, Ren Narita.