Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Knife Pervert vs. JUICE final confirmed :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Benne posted:

The best Big Audio Nightmare of the year is their G1 preview, where they try to predict matches and break their brains figuring out the math (it's also the only time where Sempervivie is mildly enjoyable)

Yeah, Big Dave running the numbers is great, but listening to Adam and Mike slowly realize they've screwed up their predictions like 8 nights back and try to work out how to rectify that is always a great listen.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

What's the Japanese term for kayfabe? Is there one?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Choom Gangster posted:

What's the Japanese term for kayfabe? Is there one?

I ... don't think there really is one? Maybe one of the Japanese posters here can correct me, but IIRC the concept of "kayfabe" there doesn't quite translate the same, largely because Japanese wrestling has a very different history from America.

American wrestling has deep roots in carnival scams, and that's where you get all the insider lingo like "working the marks" and "kayfabe" and whatnot. I think it was brought to Japan during the US's postwar occupation, and once Rikidozan caught on as a native superstar bravely fighting off the evil foreigners, that's where the concept of "fighting spirit" was born and eventually grew into what we see today. Audiences knew all along it wasn't real, but both they and the wrestlers bought into the pride and pageantry, and everyone just kinda accepts it as the performance art it is (like a modern-day kabuki) without any need to "work" them.

Again, I could be totally off so someone please correct me, but that's always the impression I got.

Benne fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 20, 2018

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1009382863416877056

Taichi has gone to great lengths to enter the G1

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I assume that's all an angle for the Cow Palace? Knife Pervert damages the hand so Juice can't use the big southpaw haymaker to set up Pulp Friction?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TTBF posted:

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1009382863416877056

Taichi has gone to great lengths to enter the G1

"grounds for disqualification"

So basically if you want to smash up his hand do it on the outside and you'll be OK?

That said, I think it could be legit. Either that or Juice is just really loving good. Which, I mean...he is definitely loving good. I'm not sure if this is from the June 18th or 19th show, but right at the start of the clip he shows his hand and it does look kinda swollen in a way a broken hand would be.

https://twitter.com/JJWilliamsWON/status/1008757732005109761

Also, while I'm talking up how great Juice is, have a watch of his promo from the Super Strong Machine Retirement show because it's really intense and he swears a lot but it's hard to work out how the WWE could find nothing for him even in NXT.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

So basically if you want to smash up his hand do it on the outside and you'll be OK?

That said, I think it could be legit. Either that or Juice is just really loving good. Which, I mean...he is definitely loving good. I'm not sure if this is from the June 18th or 19th show, but right at the start of the clip he shows his hand and it does look kinda swollen in a way a broken hand would be.

Also, while I'm talking up how great Juice is, have a watch of his promo from the Super Strong Machine Retirement show because it's really intense and he swears a lot but it's hard to work out how the WWE could find nothing for him even in NXT.

WWE struggles to find something worth doing for some of the best wrestlers in the world.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

remusclaw posted:

WWE struggles to find something worth doing for some of the best wrestlers in the world.

See: Danielson, Bryan; most of 2011-2013, 2018

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

forkboy84 posted:

Juice talks poo poo like any good midwesterner about to throw down. I can't not root for the hometown hero.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/tomozou_kantoku/status/1009408223143579648

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Not sure where else to put this but I ended up with a spare All In ticket. Floor, section A, row 8. Any goons want it for $78? Send me a PM if you do.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/ShowbuckleVids/status/1009579570582904832

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
2 more title matches for G1 Special, the ones teased during kizuna road - cobb vs goto and dragon lee vs hiromu

https://twitter.com/njpw1972/status/1009643471198547969

and some undercard tag matches that look pretty solid- tana/kushi vs scrull/page and zsj/suzuki vs ytr/ishii

https://twitter.com/njpw1972/status/1009643900166758401

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 21, 2018

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

KungFu Grip posted:

2 more title matches for G1 Special, the ones teased during kizuna road

https://twitter.com/njpw1972/status/1009643471198547969

and some undercard tag matches that look pretty solid

https://twitter.com/njpw1972/status/1009643900166758401

Yessssssss my boy Cobb gonna toss Chokey Hirooki around like a sack of potatoes. Also Hiromu and Dragon Lee are going to try to murder each other

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Full Card

CHAOS (YOSHI-HASHI, Gedo, Rocky Romero, SHO & YOH) vs. Bullet Club (King Haku, Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa, Yujiro Takahashi & Chase Owens)

Minoru Suzuki & Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano

Hiroshi Tanahashi & KUSHIDA vs. Hangman Page & Marty Scurll

NEVER Openweight Championship
Jeff Cobb vs. Hirooki Goto (c)

IWGP Tag Team Championship
The Young Bucks (c) vs. EVIL & SANADA

Tetsuya Naito & BUSHI vs. Kazuchika Okada & Will Ospreay

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship
Hiromu Takahashi (c) vs. Dragon Lee

IWGP United States Championship
Juice Robinson vs. Jay White (c)

IWGP Heavyweight Championship
Kenny Omega (c) vs. Cody

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

More Yano in the US is great. :allears:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
HAKU OH LORD

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
the card is good, folks

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

guys I really have liked Jay White in this feud with my boy Juice so far

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

YourHumbleMessiah posted:

I don't he's been mean and evil and I hope juice punches him in the face :mad:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

YourHumbleMessiah posted:

I liked the promo where he called America a god forsaken hellhole

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

KungFu Grip posted:

HAKU OH LORD

Somehow 20,000 seats have now been sold.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Baron Corbyn posted:

I liked the promo where he called America a god forsaken hellhole

this was the best

also him doing the Juice fist taunts have been great every time

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i have a sick, dark, awful feeling that cody is going to win

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Cold takes on SF:

- Card is really good.
- I know some people are still down because we're not getting some mega match but I'm confident the main event will deliver
- Seeing Hiromu vs Dragon Lee live has been a bucket list thing for me for a couple years so here's hoping they get time/don't die.
- Haku.

Cold takes on G1:

- Most to gain: Hangman. This is the time and place and opportunity in his career to get that breakthrough performance under his belt. The SSE match with Switchblade was good, but not great. He needs something great.
- A Block looks so obviously Okada's to lose that I wonder if Tanahashi sneaks into the finals as a one last harrah type thing.
- Ibushi and Omega will draw and Omega will lose to Naito. Alternatively, he draws with Ibushi but beats Naito, and could lose to Ishii and that ends up being the KoPW title match. I don't buy the "Naito wins the belt in October" direction. Too quick of a reign.
- Naito will win B Block and beat Okada in the finals.

It's Naito vs. Kenny at the Dome for the belt and Okada vs. Danielson as the attraction match. Quote me when it goes down.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

sigmachiev posted:

It's Naito vs. Kenny at the Dome for the belt and Okada vs. Danielson as the attraction match. Quote me when it goes down.

Stop it my dick can only get so hard.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

KungFu Grip posted:

HAKU OH LORD
:getin:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
MOTHERFUCKING HAKU I TOLD Y'ALL THIS CARD WOULD BE GREAT

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

You're all hollering too loud

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

God drat that card went from Okay to amazing with those matches. Also Haku in an opening match is gonna be too strong

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

I'm overbooked for activities that weekend, and I also don't want to voluntarily go to the US, but drat that card is tempting. I just want to watch Suzuki murder a young boy 10 feet away from me.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/TOKSFALE/status/1009649579006935040

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

It's a shame that Hikuleo is still hurt so that match isn't going to be Haku, three of Haku's sons, and Chase Owens The Honorary Tongan.

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

Put haku in the g1

And have him win the g1

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

This makes it even worse. We could have had Taichi OR Haku in the G1 but no, let's push Elgin

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Someone on Reddit summarised Kenny Omega's interview with X-Pac and there's some interesting stuff.

quote:

Kenny and Okada tried to make every of 3 falls different, Kenny says he wanted it to be 3 different matches.

Kenny has 2 big new ideas for Okada V.

He was amazed by amount of WWE support for his E3 match. Also he has warm memories about promos and matches in Deep South.

Kenny has already had promoting experience in Japan talking about CEOxNJPW event. He wants to present the world the name of Omega and NJPW, but this event wont be trully wrestling one, more like collaboration between videogames and wrestling worlds. Show will be available for free on Twitch Live.

He is looking forward to working with Cody again and he wants this match not only be technical but with more use of Codys character and his talking. He wants to show human part of wrestling.

Both him and Ibushi think that it is too soon for their match in G1 but Gedo begged them so they accepted. Also they are not going to go same crazy as in 2012.

He wants to face Naito and Tana for IWGP HW champ.
Tana hates Kenny in real life but they "both love hating each other" because of differences in their styles.

Vader was the man to help Kenny get legal work in Japan.

Kenny has some side projects in Japan and considers Japan his home in many thing besides wrestling and states himself as resident of country.

Kenny would love to see new guys from other promotions in G1.

He would love to face Shuji Ishikawa.

Talking about The Elite breakdown story, he and Matt didnt meet up except for their matches during the feud to keep it real and it was very touching moment for Kenny when he hugged Matt after Dominion. X-Pac praises this way of storytelling.
Source: https://youtu.be/wDI5c5klaGE0

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

quote:

Tana hates Kenny in real life but they "both love hating each other" because of differences in their styles.
:stare: is there any background to this? Or is it a work?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

:stare: is there any background to this? Or is it a work?

IDK if "hate" is the right word but Tana's very old-school, loves that style, and isn't shy about expressing his opinion of modern wrestling at times

And by At Times I mean for a while he hated Shibata, and I believe he also called out Kenny/Okada 1 as being too dangerous/too much

So imo it comes off more like he doesn't like worrying people he enjoys watching in the company he works in are about to die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think it's partly work/partly Tanahashi hating his style. Omega/Tanahashi is one of the most protected matches they have and with the whole Kenny calling out the Japanese talent thing going on, Tanahashi is an obvious next feud after Naito.