Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Callis is bad if they want to get out to a more casual western audience. His entire persona is insufferable smark and its a turn off for more casual fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I don't mind Callis but he probably should tone down his act and I actually really liked Rocky as a whole. Plus the Rocky paradise lock spot was amazing

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I think it's smart that Rocky as a color commentator has a clear affiliation in CHAOS. Gives him a reason to have an opinion on every participant of any given match and always has an angle, whether you want to agree with his perspective or not.

Also without that affiliation we would never have gotten Pro Wrestling Moment Of The Year 2018: SANADA putting the loving headset back on him

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Putting Chris Charlton on the desk is an odd choice if you're after more casual fans.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He's a good announcer who can fill people in on the history they don't know and does the best translations they have had.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Hiroshi Tanahashi is so loving good.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Charlton is actually a great choice for casual fans as he brings up the history needed to get the extra meaning to the matches. It's alot like how an in Prime John Madden did with football break downs when he was commentating

Edit: Also from the sounds of it looks like Dave me be thinking of having Tana/Ibushi break 5 stars which is deserving of the Ace of the Universe

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 12, 2018

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Gimme Kevin Kelly and Chase Owens and I'd be a happy man.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Keep your politicking out of PSP :colbert:

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

go ace

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I'll only listen to English commentary when Chuck Taylor is there

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/Tama_Tonga/status/1028690496439209984

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Charlton is actually a great choice for casual fans as he brings up the history needed to get the extra meaning to the matches. It's alot like how an in Prime John Madden did with football break downs when he was commentating

More importantly, someone on the desk who can interpret the promos.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

extradite THIS! posted:

I think it's smart that Rocky as a color commentator has a clear affiliation in CHAOS. Gives him a reason to have an opinion on every participant of any given match and always has an angle, whether you want to agree with his perspective or not.

Also without that affiliation we would never have gotten Pro Wrestling Moment Of The Year 2018: SANADA putting the loving headset back on him

Callis is technically BC Elite affiliated because of Omega.

It is amusing to note that no matter their affiliation, every colour commentator loves Tana.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Rarity posted:

The less I have to hear Callis massage his own ego and horn over women the better
:yeah:

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

The less I have to hear Callis massage his own ego and horn over women the better

Whoa whoa whoa whoa WHOA. Wait a minute! Hold the phone! Hang on a second!

.....NJPW has women in it???

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fart blood posted:

Whoa whoa whoa whoa WHOA. Wait a minute! Hold the phone! Hang on a second!

.....NJPW has women in it???

Uh yeah, Chyna and Inoki ran the women's revolution 16 years ago! https://www.spreaker.com/episode/15477535

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Uh yeah, Chyna and Inoki ran the women's revolution 16 years ago! https://www.spreaker.com/episode/15477535

"Vince Russo booked Chyna better than Inoki" is like the biggest burn in the history of anything

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 13, 2018

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
... how did Chyna end up getting a New Japan run? :psyduck:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Benne posted:

... how did Chyna end up getting a New Japan run? :psyduck:

Japan MMA had long established its dominance in the realm of freakshow fights, so its natural that Inoki would emulate. I thought the Chono match was decent but hardly Chyna or Chono's best work.

I've been out of the loop, did Okada really part ways with Gedo?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

coconono posted:

Japan MMA had long established its dominance in the realm of freakshow fights, so its natural that Inoki would emulate. I thought the Chono match was decent but hardly Chyna or Chono's best work.

Yep. Amicable break up, basically Gedo just isn't coming out with Okada to the ring anymore. I'll miss "Cmon Rainmaker cmon!" but other than that I like the direction.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, I liked the pairing but it's run its course by now. I think they only used Gedo as a mouthpiece at first because they didn't trust Okada with live promos, but that's clearly not the case anymore.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
tbh even though Okada didn't need Gedo to do the talking for him the fact that he was there anyway made Okada instantly feel super important, at least to me. Same thing with Zack and Taka since they started Zack Sabre Time.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

coconono posted:

Even before the MMA boom Inoki always leaned more towards freak show booking. He just didn't go as far or had enough talent to hide it.

Like the 2000's is considered the peak of bad Inoki booking but even in the late 90's you could see bad looking like having Hashimoto lose a retirement match because Ionki was worried the result got out (and had to have Hashimoto walk back on it which killed his drawing power a bit).

Inoki was always bad and just got carried by the fact he had great talent.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Have they ever done G1 qualifying matches before? It would be a fun way to mix up the competitors a bit and give the lower card guys featured singles matches on some of the Road To shows.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Have they ever done G1 qualifying matches before? It would be a fun way to mix up the competitors a bit and give the lower card guys featured singles matches on some of the Road To shows.

They did a qualifying tournament for the BOTSJ in 2005 and then ignored the result even though their lovely hand picked guy won it. I don't believe they have for the G1.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
This week's free YouTube match is a rather odd choice -- Naito vs. Masato Tanaka from Destruction 2013, smack dab in the Stardust Genius era. And boy what a difference in crowd reaction to his entrance between then and now.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Even before the MMA boom Inoki always leaned more towards freak show booking. He just didn't go as far or had enough talent to hide it.

Like the 2000's is considered the peak of bad Inoki booking but even in the late 90's you could see bad looking like having Hashimoto lose a retirement match because Ionki was worried the result got out (and had to have Hashimoto walk back on it which killed his drawing power a bit).

Inoki was always bad and just got carried by the fact he had great talent.

Post peak New Japan got really dumb and Inoki did some stupid poo poo before then but let's not act like he lucked into everything. The company was able to survive two giant talent defection in the 80s (one was mostly Inoki's fault!)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2MLoAHNtyY

"Once again, I lost the big one."
"But I still haven't given up yet. I will get stronger. I will build myself up again."

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
He was practising for his post WK promo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Germansimp posted:

Oh, and the announcement of Kenny vs Pentagon for All-In.

Kenny's reaction :allears:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Juice had another loving awesome promo, god drat. You all need to watch it.

Benne fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 13, 2018

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

MassRafTer posted:

Post peak New Japan got really dumb and Inoki did some stupid poo poo before then but let's not act like he lucked into everything. The company was able to survive two giant talent defection in the 80s (one was mostly Inoki's fault!)

Inoki gets a lot of blame for 2000s New Japan but my understanding is that he was mostly overseas and a lot of the bad booking was due to Inoki Office, which was actually run by Tetsuo Baisho (Inoki's brother-in-law and Taiji Sakaguchi (no relation to Seiji). Apparently they are the ones who interfered with Chono's and Liger's bookmaking and forced out NJPW presidents Fumihiko Uei and Masakazu Kusama. Uei took the fall for a Sumo Hall main event in 2004 where Kazuyuki Fujita lost the IWGP Heavyweight title to Kensuke Sasaki in a little over two minutes (apparently Inoki Office was trying to protect Fujita, who was New Japan's MMA golden boy). The last straw was Fujita being pulled from a Tokyo Dome show set for January 4, 2006, where he was supposed to main event with the then-champion, good ol' Brock Lesnar. Nakamura replaced Fujita, Yuke's bought out Inoki's share of NJPW, and Simon Inoki and Riki Choshu took over. That particular Dome show was important because a lot of the bad incidents of the "Inoki-ism" era happened in Tokyo and fans were turning on the company, to the point where New Japan was really struggling to do good business at the Dome.

I think a lot of people use "Inoki-ism" as an excuse to criticize shooto or hybrid wrestling in general, which isn't accurate. The problem with 2000s New Japan wasn't a style issue, it was the fact that the promotion was divided between people who wanted to run it like a wrestling promotion versus using the promotion to profit from the MMA craze.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What was that that Cody grabbed from Kenny's bag on BTE??

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What was that that Cody grabbed from Kenny's bag on BTE??

He basically stole all of his drinks and snacks, I think.

https://twitter.com/KennyOmegamanX/status/1028651952119283712

What's he talking about here?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

VJeff posted:

I think he's referring to this part of his post-match promo: "When I come back, when I defend against you, Ishii, it's not gonna be a beaten, bloodied, broken-down Kenny Omega versus a 100%, nothing to lose, tubby, short, piece of lard Ishii."

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/KennyOmegamanX/status/1028865284185108480

that he says when it was probably means he's working

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Benne posted:

Juice had another loving awesome promo, god drat. You all need to watch it.
Also this. drat.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

VJeff posted:

He admitted that the BCE 6 man tag on the A block finals was laid out in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Panama Red posted:

Inoki gets a lot of blame for 2000s New Japan but my understanding is that he was mostly overseas and a lot of the bad booking was due to Inoki Office, which was actually run by Tetsuo Baisho (Inoki's brother-in-law and Taiji Sakaguchi (no relation to Seiji). Apparently they are the ones who interfered with Chono's and Liger's bookmaking and forced out NJPW presidents Fumihiko Uei and Masakazu Kusama. Uei took the fall for a Sumo Hall main event in 2004 where Kazuyuki Fujita lost the IWGP Heavyweight title to Kensuke Sasaki in a little over two minutes (apparently Inoki Office was trying to protect Fujita, who was New Japan's MMA golden boy). The last straw was Fujita being pulled from a Tokyo Dome show set for January 4, 2006, where he was supposed to main event with the then-champion, good ol' Brock Lesnar. Nakamura replaced Fujita, Yuke's bought out Inoki's share of NJPW, and Simon Inoki and Riki Choshu took over. That particular Dome show was important because a lot of the bad incidents of the "Inoki-ism" era happened in Tokyo and fans were turning on the company, to the point where New Japan was really struggling to do good business at the Dome.

I think a lot of people use "Inoki-ism" as an excuse to criticize shooto or hybrid wrestling in general, which isn't accurate. The problem with 2000s New Japan wasn't a style issue, it was the fact that the promotion was divided between people who wanted to run it like a wrestling promotion versus using the promotion to profit from the MMA craze.

Yeah 2000's new Japan had some great work in ring wise. It all came down to booking and not being sure how to market themselves.