Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

What a heel. Hashtag heat
https://twitter.com/tama_tonga/status/1064389285267140608

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Tama's gonna bring his new pet home and 2 weeks later there will be beautiful flowers in Mrs. Meng's garden.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
please do not put enzo in bcogs

unless they let him vape like big show smoked on his way down in wcw. then... maybe.

i really like juice's macho man gear that he's wearing on this tour
https://twitter.com/FreezeGraphic/status/1064710669591867392

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

is there a show tonight because i just watched like a half hour of raw and need to watch something decent before i just hate wrestling outright

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

There is, but I don't think this one gets broadcast. If you didn't watch the previous two you could catch up though.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

STONE COLD 64 posted:

is there a show tonight because i just watched like a half hour of raw and need to watch something decent before i just hate wrestling outright

Just watch Ibushi vs. Tanahashi again.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Or Ishii/Suzuki. I mean, just pick any one, they're all good

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think in retrospect Hiromu/Ishimori might be my favourite NJPW match this year but maybe watching Hiromu matches is a bad idea if you don't want to feel bad about wrestling right now.

He's apparently "93% good" according to his diary though. If he comes out at New Year's Dash, I'm definitely going to lose my poo poo (along with the 1700+ other people in Korakuen)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I think in retrospect Hiromu/Ishimori might be my favourite NJPW match this year but maybe watching Hiromu matches is a bad idea if you don't want to feel bad about wrestling right now.

He's apparently "93% good" according to his diary though. If he comes out at New Year's Dash, I'm definitely going to lose my poo poo (along with the 1700+ other people in Korakuen)

He will then do a sunset bomb off the apron to the floor and immediately die again.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

VJeff posted:

Just watch Ibushi vs. Tanahashi again.

Omega/Okada IV might win Match of the Year but in retrospect I gotta vote Ibushi/Tana No. 1, it's the match I end up revisiting the most.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It's very strange in that from a logical standpoint, Okada/Omega IV is obviously, [/i]obviously[/i] the best wrestled match of the year (and. um. all years?) and if that wasn't the best one than it'd be Omega/Ishii, but Hiromi/Ishimori and Ibushi/Tanahashi feel like much stronger matches to me because I had such an emotional connection to them - I didn't think the guy I wanted to win was going to win going in, so when he did, it was innnnncredible.

I still go back and watch Hiromu's promo after he wins the BOSJ every so often. When he's saying "Liger, did you see that?", it tugs at me, just a little bit. :unsmith:

Man, what an incredible year.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the weird thing about Omega matches is I always dread having to watch them because, while good, he tends to go for the same set of really obnoxious spots(terminator rise dive, YOUCANTESCAPE deal, etc). Some wrestlers really get good mileage out of the matches, like Jay White, Omega and Tanahashi. Others like Elgin and Jericho not so much.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
There's been so many awesome matches that I'm legit stumped as to how to rank them

Omega/Okada
Tana/Ibushi
Hiromu/Ishimori
Omega/Ishii
Ishii/Ibushi
Tana/Suzuki
Lovers/Bucks
Hiromu/Despy (I really hope people revisit this match and don't sleep on it)
Ospreay/Marty
Jericho/Omega
Goto/Suzuki
Ospreay/Hiromu

That's just off the top of my head, hot drat what a year.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Chris Charlton's translated some stuff from an NHK documentary about Naito, it seems really good. The part about him sitting by himself in the locker room for an hour and half because he thought his match with Juice wasn't as good as it should have been really says a lot about him. Especially given that that was a good match!

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/1064849717270462465

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Draxion posted:

Chris Charlton's translated some stuff from an NHK documentary about Naito, it seems really good. The part about him sitting by himself in the locker room for an hour and half because he thought his match with Juice wasn't as good as it should have been really says a lot about him. Especially given that that was a good match!

meanwhile Juice grabbed two women at random and went drinking.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Draxion posted:

I have this recorded, I’ll have to watch it this weekend and give some impressions.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Like I will probably vote for Okada/Omega as match of the year and it's amazing but for me I dont think its Okada's best performance of the year. That has to be the 30 minute draw in the rain with Suzuki, cause it was great and a draw held in downpour that was still an amazing match.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Looks like that new promotion with JR/Jericho/The Elite is real

Wonder if NJPW will stay loyal to ROH or start working with "AEW" or maybe both.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I still see Omega staying with NJPW, so AEW's probably gonna wanna have a good relationship with them.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/HideoItami/status/1065258217649917953?s=19

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Kelly and Callis calling the AXS shows from now on seems confirmed here

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So they're just gonna use the NJPW World broadcast instead of re-dubbing from now on?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

VJeff posted:

So they're just gonna use the NJPW World broadcast instead of re-dubbing from now on?

Possibly with them doing some AXS branded stuff in post. Probably inserted over any time Kelly plugs World, or to cover commercial breaks.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
That's a relief. There have been some pleasant surprises among the guest commentators, but Kelly and Callis are the best duo in the business.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Not that big on Callis.

Hopefully they'll mix in the postmatch interviews so I don't have to hunt those down on the NJPW youtube channel after the show

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Callis is a bit too "classic American heel announcer" which doesn't necessarily fit NJ all that well (and him getting horny over any woman who turns up is something that needs to be left to 1999 Jerry Lawler), but after Lanny Poffo he's a breath of fresh air.

Anyway, I don't really feel like watch full shows at the moment, so are there any recommendations on Tag League matches that are worth catching? I heard the 2 final matches on night 2 were good fun.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Callis has made me return back to Japanese commentary after enjoying the Kelly - Rocky (or Chuckie) - Carlton trio.

Unless of course if Honma is on commentary, because even Heel Michael Cole would be more enjoyable to listen to than that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, I'm not big on Callis but he's fine.

Nothing is ever gonna top Kelly/Rocky/Charlton and the bond they formed over the G1 this year though, that was some of the best and most consistent commentary I've heard in wrestling for YEARS.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
My only two problems with Rocky are 1) he gets all weird and cagey any time Kevin tries to ask him about the state of the Chaos locker room whenever there's a big angle going on, and 2) he trashes Jay White all year for being ruthless and cheating but any time he's in a match or at ringside for SHO & YOH he cheats like crazy. I'm usually all for shades of grey in wrestling characters but something about that just bothers me.

I like Callis, mostly because him using insider terms doesn't bother me the way it does other people. The "perving on girls" thing is I think overstated because unless I'm forgetting someone the only three women ever featured are Miho, Brandi, and Pieter, the former two I don't recall him ever saying anything particularly out of turn about, and the latter, well, that's sort of her whole point.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TriffTshngo posted:

My only two problems with Rocky are 1) he gets all weird and cagey any time Kevin tries to ask him about the state of the Chaos locker room whenever there's a big angle going on, and 2) he trashes Jay White all year for being ruthless and cheating but any time he's in a match or at ringside for SHO & YOH he cheats like crazy. I'm usually all for shades of grey in wrestling characters but something about that just bothers me.

I like Callis, mostly because him using insider terms doesn't bother me the way it does other people. The "perving on girls" thing is I think overstated because unless I'm forgetting someone the only three women ever featured are Miho, Brandi, and Pieter, the former two I don't recall him ever saying anything particularly out of turn about, and the latter, well, that's sort of her whole point.

He gets a little creepy about Miho too. Brandi he tends to be a little classier about. Mostly stuff about how she supports Cody or rationalising when she does one of her 'fake bump so the babyface feels guilty and Cody can blindside them' spots. Of course, he still takes notice when she's wearing something ridonkulously hot, like that sheer one-piece thing she wore at All In.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I don't like Callis because he turns off my friends who watch with me, I've made them NJPW fans but they're not wrestling fans. The insider terms bounce off them and the perv parts really bug my friends who are women.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
This is a photo I took back in September of a man who will probably be world champion come January.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Callis isn't as bad as Steve Corino but he still comes off as someone suited to calling North American indie wrestling than NJPW. The insider terms, ogling the ladies and the constant gimmicky jokes really don't do it for me. If I was 14 and watching ECW, he'd be great.

Personally I like Kelly and Charlton because its straight no bullshit, just sell the inring action. Kelly and Chuckie are good too because Chuckie gets weirdly excited for violent poo poo and that makes me excited too.

My refrain about announcing is "don't try to be exciting, be excited about the wrestling"

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Callis is mostly fine to me but his whole thing with Yano where he's decided Yano is mentally disabled or ill or whatever fuckin sucks and makes no sense, especially when everyone else is pretty clear on what Yano's actual gimmick is.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

dordreff posted:

Callis is mostly fine to me but his whole thing with Yano where he's decided Yano is mentally disabled or ill or whatever fuckin sucks and makes no sense, especially when everyone else is pretty clear on what Yano's actual gimmick is.

Agreed, he should be talking that way about Ibushi.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

two more days of limited production until a live show on sunday

WORLD TAG LEAGUE 2018
November 23rd
Culttz Kawasaki, Kanagawa

World Tag League Match:Ayato Yoshida and Shota Umino [0] vs. Best Friends [4]
World Tag League Match:Yuji Nagata and Manabu Nakanishi [2] vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki and Takashi Iizuka) [0]
World Tag League Match:Juice Robinson and David Finlay [2] vs. Michael Elgin and Jeff Cobb [0]
World Tag League Match:Togi Makabe and Toa Henare [2] vs. L.I.J (EVIL and SANADA) [4]

WORLD TAG LEAGUE 2018
November 24th
Mainichikogyo Arena Kuki, Saitama

World Tag League Match:BC Elite (Hangman Page and Yujiro Takahashi) [0] vs. Suzuki-gun (ZSJ and Taichi) [2]
World Tag League Match:TenCozy [2] vs. Guerillas of Destiny [4]
World Tag League Match:CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii and Toru Yano) [2] vs. Killer Elite Squad [4]

WORLD TAG LEAGUE 2018
November 25th at 3:00 EDT/8:00 GMT
Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium

World Tag League Match:Ayato Yoshida and Shota Umino vs. BC Elite (Hangman Page and Yujiro Takahashi)
World Tag League Match:Yuji Nagata and Manabu Nakanishi vs. CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii and Toru Yano)
World Tag League Match:TenCozy vs. Michael Elgin and Jeff Cobb
World Tag League Match:Togi Makabe and Toa Henare vs. Juice Robinson and David Finlay
CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, SHO, and YOH) vs. L.I.J (Tetsuya Naito, Shingo Takagi, and BUSHI)
World Tag League Match:Guerrilas of Destiny vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki and Takashi Iizuka)
World Tag League Match:Best Friends vs. Killer Elite Squad
World Tag League Match:L.I.J(EVIL and SANADA) vs. Suzuki-gun (ZSJ and Taichi)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Callis' perverted commentary is unacceptable. The way he objectifies one of the stars is ridiculous and regressive.

I am of course referring to Taichi after he removes his trunks.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

VJeff posted:

Callis' perverted commentary is unacceptable. The way he objectifies one of the stars is ridiculous and regressive.

I am of course referring to Taichi after he removes his trunks.

What about when he does it for Tana and Ibushi

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

TriffTshngo posted:

What about when he does it for Tana and Ibushi
hes only human

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah