Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Juice too (for real, Juice is great and should get a midcard champ run this year).

I saw a few of Juice's post match interviews during G1 and he cracked me up. He never really got a chance to show much personality in NXT, so it was a nice surprise.

WK12 was my first real exposure to NJPW outside of hunting down a few random matches, and I think I'm hooked. I ended up big time intrigued by Suzuki. What should I know about him (the man and the gimmick) going forward to get a better appreciation of him? Any must see matches? Literally the only things I know about him is that creepy match with KANA and that he loves to beat the poo poo out of the young lions.

For real though, outside of a few Takeovers, I haven't experienced a ppv show that kept me entertained from top to bottom like that, which is nuts considering I had very little context for what was happening and it was 6 freaking hours long! Pretty amazing.

e: Seriously, I fell asleep during the last 3 Wrestlemanias. Twice during the last one.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Thanks for all the Suzuki info guys. Looking forward to checking it all out.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I subbed to NJPW on the hype of Wrestle Kingdom, loved it, and I've been watching the 2017 G1 tournament since then. It has been amazing.

The issue I've had since then is that for the last 3 nights running I've had nightmares about Minoru Suzuki stalking, harassing, terrorizing, and/or beating me into oblivion. It's really hosed up, and I haven't had a good night's sleep in a few days. I wish I was kidding.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

That's normal. We all get that.

The first one was the only really weird one. I was investigating a high end jelly and candle boutique that was a front for a seedy brothel. I got too close and the owner/pimp sicced him on me. He was wearing that black fedora I've seen him wear and wielding a dull kitchen knife. He spoke in a broad Brooklyn accent.

Last night it was just him beating the poo poo out of me in a Home Depot. This is getting exhausting.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

coconono posted:

or embrace the greatest wrestling on the planet Yano Toru.

I just watched Toru Yano vs. Okada. He just might be my favorite person ever, and I have two children...

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I just watched the G1 Omega/Yano match. The Okada/Yano match was goddamn beautiful, but the comedy spots in the Omega match were outstanding.

I am so happy I got this sub to NJPW. It's easy to forget that wrestling and WWE aren't exactly synonyms, and the product WWE has been putting out was really making me start to dislike wrestling. Digging into NJPW has been an absolute joy.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

All the goddamn spitting on people is starting to sour me on Naito a little. I understand he's an aloof badass who don't give a eff about nothin', but it's so freaking gross and scummy.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

coconono posted:

I hope that people agree to that before hand. Getting spit on is gross as gently caress and an open invitation for fisticuffs

I have to think the guys know what they're getting into, but it doesn't make it an less skeevy.

When Orton was doing it during his Legend Killer phase, I could almost get behind it because it was treated like a big deal, like he was crossing the line. On the other hand, man those were some massively phlegmy spits he was slinging around.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

This is news to absolutely no one here, but Okada/Suzuki from last year's G1 was loving amazing. I watched it with my daughter last night, and by the end we were yelling at the TV for them to JUST STOP HITTING EACH OTHER. So intense. Just fantastic.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I was watching one of the G1 27 episodes the other day, and an old orange guy with a Dr. Klaw voice was on commentary the whole time. Who was that?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

coconono posted:

That's Honma. He likes to headbutt stuff. And kick his wife in public, allegedly.

Okay, I remember hearing his name in connection with spousal abuse. He was the guy that headbutt himself into a coma or something, right?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yeah that pic is amazing

Ospreay is an amazing interview so hopefully he doesn't end it soon by still doing dumb stuff

His post match promo after Dominion was my favorite of the night. I love/hate that he is leaning into "I'm going to die in the ring and there's nothing I can do about it".

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

NJPW is responsible for me still caring about wrestling, and I thank them for that.

Also, I have spent two decades alternating between indifference and strong dislike for all things Don Callis, and I have to say I have been really enjoying his run on commentary. I could do without listening to him getting horned up over Pieter and Abe anymore, but outside of that I think he's been a lot of fun.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

fart blood posted:

This is my first G1 that I'm following from the very beginning. I'm excited.

Hell yeah, c-dif buddy! Can't wait. I'm on the west coast for the first few so I'm super jazzed to be able to get up early for them.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

In not as hard on YOSHI as most of you, but this narrative that you've all constructed in the G1 thread that he's basically Bruce Willis in The Last Boy Scout has really increased my appreciation of his matches.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

When I see how the crowd reacted for the Ibushi/Tanahashi match, ESPECIALLY the ending, with people crying from sadness AND joy, that's when I get upset about the state of the WWE. I don't weigh in on WWE Vs. NJPW because it's like local AM DJ rivalry levels of who gives a poo poo, but when is the last time a crowd cared even remotely that much for something WWE did? Bryan's WrestleMania win? His retirement? Is there anything else even close?

I gave up WWE in lieu of NJPW a few months ago, and I even started watching some CMLL, and I can't even fathom anyone who claims to enjoy professional wrestling being okay with anything, both artistically and on a corporate level, WWE does.

The best part is how his forum has a reputation for just making GBS threads on everything, but for a solid month of following the G1 thread, everyone was positive and enthusiastic about what was going on, and it was awesome. Even when VJeff got pissed about Naito losing, he wasn't a prick about it, and he seemed relatively happy with the outcome of the final.

I dunno, I'm not saying anything new or interesting here. Wrestling is good. NJPW is good. You guys are cool. Good night.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

For example...

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

VJeff posted:

Make no mistake, I'm still extremely pissed about Naito losing and Zack Sabre Jr. is a lanky gently caress and he sucks and I hope he steps on a lego.

But the Ace winning will do a lot to soothe a man's nerves.

I'm a ZSJ guy and that still blindsided the hell outta me.

And I subbed NJPW in time to see the last Wrestle Kingdom live, and I echo the couple of people who said they didn't get Tana until this G1. Holy poo poo is he amazing.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

The Takeover threads are a pretty good indication that if a wrestling company just produces simple stuff done well with good wrestlers given some freedom to express themselves, we're going to go crazy having a good time watching along.

I'm actually glad G1 is over now because I'm about 6 weeks behind on NXT.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Spikeguy posted:

I'm interested in watching this year's G1 with my daughter to see if she likes Japanese wrestling, does NJPW World have the shows organized easily in chronological order or does anyone have a list with links so I know the order to watch them in?

How old is your daughter? Just curious because I watched the Okada/Suzuki G1 match last year with my 9 year old and she was both fascinated and repelled by it. By the end we were both screaming at the tv for them to stop hitting each other. She loved the match but she also wasn't in a huge hurry to jump back into it.

I'm gonna cherry pick some G1 matches from this year to show her, see if she's really into it or not. She's always curious to check out WWE ppvs but, especially with longer shows like Wrestlemania or Summer Slam, her interest usually fades about 90 minutes in.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

My favorite call during Tanahashi/Ibushi:

"A half hour of brutality...

OHHHHH JESUS CHRIST!"

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Phenix Rising posted:

Y'all are making me think I need to go back and watch the main event with the English commentary

Kevin Kelly is great, and at their worst, Rocky and Chris don't take away from his match calling. I happen to think they're a lot of fun, though.

Granted, I've defended Don Callis more than once in the other thread as well, but as someone who has been ambivalent at best to him for 20 years, I enjoy his color commentary for the most part.

Anyway, as Cameo pointed out there was a lot of interesting and poignant and emotional moments during commentary last night. My example was just so sudden and visceral. Everyone involved in the G1 were spent and worn out, then just out of nowhere Kevin is brought immediately back into the moment from Kota's double knees to Tana's chest, and they didn't slow back down again until the end. Just good, good stuff.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

coconono posted:

yeah sorry, I don't trust anyone that enjoys Don Callis on commentary. I'm willing to check out Kevin Kelly and Chris if they do the next major show.

one thing I'd wish NJPWworld would do is add the post match comments after the match when they clip down the matches. With the subtitles.

Hey, I get it. I think he's sucked at just about everything for as long as I've been aware of him. He's better than Striker or Corrino or JBL, at the very least. Low bar to clear, but as long as they're not actively taking away from the matches they're supposed to be calling, I can deal with it.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

Not booking him like an idiot goes a long way. If someone tries and cheats Tanahashi often has an answer to it. If someone gets dirty he has no problem getting dirty as well.

This is something that bothers me quite a bit in modern booking. I know the heel is supposed to be a dirty cheating fucker and the face is meant to be brave and forthright, but the face still gets paid to beat people up for a living. I really like it when Smiling Babyface has had enough bullshit and develops a mean streak. This is how I finally clicked with Tana. He is very much not an idiot, and he's vicious as hell when the situation calls for it.

quote:

If you have a couple of hours to kill and want to see the prelude to what you're dealing with now - all the major players, the early days of a glorious faction, and arguably the most important failure you'll ever witness - seek out Power Struggle 2013 on World. It's a good time.

I'll check it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 22, 2018

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I could easily see Ran a in the upper card in the WWE. Like Gaz-L said, that's up to you if it's a compliment or not.

I didn't care for the BCOG shenanigans this year, but I usually enjoy seeing the Tongans.

Usually.

E: Tama, not Ran a. Goddamn phone.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 22, 2018

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I manage a sports bar, and every time I work a Friday night I put a few TVs on NJPW. I always get a kick out of watching people going from mocking it to slowly getting into it. People really responded to Goto and Ishii, Omega and Jericho, and MiSu and Kazu tonight. There were a couple of good mark out moments from our patrons tonight.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i did this a little bit for my book but when people started asking if you could bet on wrestling i figured it was probably not the right venue for it.

Hahaha, no. I would suppose not.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Coaaab posted:

ZSJ/SANADA and Goto/Ishii were tonight's matches where I wanted to hear JR's reactions, and I was not disappointed. Shame AXS appears to be skipping out on Ishii/Ibushi, but I think that's the only real casualty from this G1.

ZSJ/SANADA didn't play well. I only heard a few people make fun of SANADA's hair.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I'm a huge ZSJ fan, and he would be the absolute last guy I'd show anyone to get them into my hobby. Even I find him really dull if he's not clicking with his opponent just right.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

cams posted:

gently caress those guys

fwiw, the ladies seemed to be the ones getting into it tonight. Lots of wooing and clapping going on.

Rise of the Terminator on Jericho got a HUGE pop. So did the table spot.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 25, 2018

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Rarity posted:

SANADA's beauty transcends gender

SANADA is undeniably a dreamboat, but that dyed beard has got to go. It makes me think about that Coco Chanel quote about removing one accessory before leaving the house. It doesn't look good. It's... it's just too much.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

extradite THIS! posted:

:wrong: it should be bigger. He should have a massive beard.

I suspect that he can't grow a real beard. Otherwise I would probably agree.

For real, I'm as tragically vanilla as they get on the Kinsey scale, but the first time I saw that motherfucker all dolled out in a suit, I was like "whoa...".

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

SANADA. Not even a question.

After that, it's probably KUSHIDA. Is that weird? He is very boy next door handsome imo. Then Omega. He's got a certain je ne sais quoi I find undeniable.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I did not consider Tama. The three guys I mentioned before, I'm happy to admire from afar. I think Tama could talk me into doing stuff I didn't know I was up to doing.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Cavauro posted:

Juice is a lot like The Road Dogg.

We all are, if you really think about it.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I Before E posted:

I find it easy to forget Naito

I mean... right?

God, I'm just not a Naito guy. I was pulling for him a little a year ago when I first started watching, but I'm just not that blown away by him. Maybe seeing him throughout the larger narrative of his story makes a difference? He was always just the least interesting guy in LIJ for me.

Apropos of nothing, I just finished season 2 of The Mick, and I couldn't help but think of how great it would be if Japan rebooted it with YOSHI HASHI as Jimmy. You guys have ruined me.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

TriffTshngo posted:

Finally watched Kenny vs Ishii from the Hiroshima show. Kicking out at 1 half an hour into a match is the hypest poo poo. That match ruled. Anything from Beppu I should bother with, everyone seemed pretty down on it.

I actually liked Suzuki/Naito, but no. It was pretty disappointing, imo. Not bad per se, I just didn't see anything to hang my hat on. I did think the NEVER match was a bit of a big nothing

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Suplex Liberace posted:

Kellys JESUS when kota hits the double knee moonsault is the perfect call

I wish I could remember the call verbatim, because his commentary hit something of a lull, and he was saying something very matter of fact, and BAM! He was off to the races for the rest of the match. Gave me goddamn goosebumps. Kelly is awesome.