Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Hey, if anybody does this, can I get a guide to hooking up NJPWWorld to Chromecast on my TV? Thinking of making the switch from Roku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Byolante posted:

Okada winning at WK is even more egregious seeing as he is now loving about with Sanada as the b roll to Naito and Jericho. Congrats on pissing off the fans, killing a hot storyline and devaluing the belt all in one fell swoop.

I'm disappointed Naito didn't win but this is a bit of an overreaction. Right now NJPW's #1 goal is cementing Okada as the megastar champ who can make or break guys, and the feeling is he ahs to surpass Tanahashi's awesome reign of 11 successful defences (he needs 2 to tie, 3 to break). Naito will win the belt eventually, probably hold it for a at least 4-5 months, then drop it to Kenny before Kenny drops it back to either Naito or Okada, setting up Naito vs Okada again at WK 13.

It'll be fine. I don't know how new you are to NJPW, but they've always persevered when we've questioned the booking in the past. Be patient, because trust me, they've earned the benefit of the doubt.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

If Gedo knew he was doing Naito/Jericho off the back of WK, he's kind of booking himself into a corner however he booked it. If Naito wins, and the Jericho match goes as it did, then you're booking the guy who lost his shot at the US title against the world champion, which makes no sense (and Jericho is a heel who isn't in a group so he can't pin Naito in a tag). Or they both win, but then you have US champ vs IWGP champion, and leave Okada and Omega with nothing.

Maybe... MAYBE you can have Jericho win the US belt and Naito loses to Okada, but challenges Jericho to prove he's not a nostalgia act and defend the belt against him but then what do you do with Omega? Have him wrestle Tanahashi or Goto?

Just make Scott Norton his partner, or turn Togi Makabe, he's not doing anything

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Strawberry Panda posted:

Where does NJPW fall on the political spectrum?

I only watch WWE PPVs these days while playing my Switch. Really can't be assed to devote a full 45 minutes of attention to Shane McMahon matches.

But yeah, I love how NJPW just does multi man tags as the undercard. Helps noobies learn the characters and feuds but doesn't blow anything off too quickly oversaturate a matchup.

Japan in general is fairly right wing from what I've gathered but there are folks who post here who actually live there, they'd know more.

Strawberry Panda posted:

The only way I would think is mirroring your screen either on the Chrome browser or with your phone and the NJPW app.

Thanks for that but I just found this https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/5q85yn/how_to_stream_njpw_world_on_roku/

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Kenny's re-up was 3 years, right

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oatgan posted:

2, hes up at the end of the month

I don't imagine there's much chance he doesn't re-sign, though, or am I behind on rumours

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Strong Style Society is the same guy who tried to harass Chuck and Trent and is a big homophobe as well, right?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Gedo booking anime now

He has been for a while, it's just a really engrossing one.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Cameo posted:

Reminder that Perfect Blue didn't really embellish the whole idol otaku thing at all. And that was twenty years ago.

In fact, because of the preponderance of live streams and social media, things are probably exponentially worse, since there's a constant stream of stuff they're sharing from their personal life which is only going to deepen that sort of mindset in some people's minds.

Most fans will be like "yay, good for you" (her verifying the relationship is now literally the most popular tweet she's done and the thread is like 99.9% congratulations and "go for it") because they're not desperately broken people, but, as has been said:

I remember Cracked wrote a pretty good article some time back about the idol groups in S. Korea and Japan. Here's an excerpt that seems pretty insane:

quote:

According to Ricky: "Everyone knows idols are human beings and have human relationships. But as long as that fact is under wraps, everyone can operate under the kayfabe of plausible deniability and keep the fantasy alive -- the fantasy that they have a chance with the girl. But if there are undeniable facts out there showing that the idol IS in a relationship, then the kayfabe doesn't work anymore." And the consequences of that can be horrifying.

In 2013, Minami Minegishi, a core member of AKB48 (probably the biggest and most famous idol group in Japan), was caught leaving the house of a boy band member after spending the night with him. As punishment, Minegishi was demoted to the group's "trainee" team, and forced to apologize while crying her eyes out on their YouTube channel for her "thoughtless deed" of being a normal 20-year-old. She was also (most likely) forced to shave her loving head.

There was another thing I read, and it might have been on SA, about how some groups pump up their sales by giving tickets to meet n' greets with CD's, and dudes buy the tickets, go to a public restroom nearby before the event, beat off on their hands and then shake some poor idol's hand, because it's the closest they're ever getting to sexual contact with that woman. hosed up.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 15, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Milano’s totally retired, correct? New Japan’s not the kind of company where I’d expect a blowoff between an announcer and an active wrestler, but it would be pretty rad for Milano to get fed up and fight back and get his poo poo wrecked :getin:

quote:

On January 18, 2010, Sawafuji announced his retirement from professional wrestling because of inferior oblique muscle palsy, brought on by an excessively strong thrust kick to the eye by Gedo. A retirement ceremony was held on February 14.

He could probably work a really limited match but I doubt that's in the works

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Obviously he pulled it off but man if he'd overshot that just a bit, those photographers are in toruble.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Pretty sure the Bucks stay with Kenny so they can keep doing "Being the Elite", and Cody gets the BC. The people who stay in the BC will be people who need BC for more int'l bookings, people like the GOD's, Chase Owens, Adam Page, etc.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Chase is the #1 heel for my local indy, and he's actually had some real good matches for them. I think it's just that he's not a great fit for NJPW but because of connections and what Moth said he's been able to stay

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So wait, the Bucks definitively sided with Omega after the in-ring stuff?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jenny Angel posted:

God drat, Kenny vs. Knife Pervert was really good. I feel like this gimmick might actually work in the long term? Which is something that seemed pretty hard to believe after Wrestle Kingdom

I've gotten to the point where pretty much no matter what Gedo does, I have faith. The entire company is the anti-WWE in that respect for me.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

I've only started watching since late last year but they've rebuilt around Kento Miyahara as their ace and he's a really good top babyface. Joe Doering is great as a monster gaijin throwback champion running through his challengers. The tag division is actually really good in contrast to NJPW's and has rehabilitated the career of Yoshitatsu. Also the upcoming Champion Carnival looks like it could be a fantastic tournament.

The junior scene there seems kinda poo poo though.

AJPW was never really about their juniors. Look at the title history of the Jr. belt, it's basically Masa Fuchi and Dan Kroffat owning it for literally years at a time, then losing it for a while and getting it back. Fuchi was really good, but people watched AJPW for the 4 Pillars of Heaven, y'know?

At one point, Fuchi was the champ for 3 1/2 years. Compare that to how the NJPW Jr. belt changes hands.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 5, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

Fuchi is the really old guy who does the headlock punch spot, right? I love that guy. If he was really good back in the day, I'll try to look that up.

Fuchi had a very intense offence. He also had that Shinjiro "I look like a middle aged math teacher but I will gently caress you up, down and sideways" Ohtani thing going on, because he's respectful up to the bell.....

After that, you're his bitch.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Has Kitamura won a match yet?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Gedo was extremely above average at a time when Japanese juniors were expected to be amazing and thus was hated for it.

Scott Keith hating Gedo made me re-evaluate him and start liking him.

Gedo, the Japanese Chase Owens

Same regarding Scott's opinion, what a massive thundershit he turned out to be

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Just found out about Rey vs Liger :stare:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pinwiz11 posted:

:yeah:

I can't wait for this.

Like I know both guys are past their primes but both are still quite capable of having very good matches and they'll bring their a-game for each other

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

I would love e Speedball in BoSJ but he's with DDT, right? He would have a ton of great matches in New Japan :/

Outside talent, including folks from DDT, appear for NJPW all the time. Marufuji is NOAH through and through (I think he's the company's VP), but he appeared in G-1 and did well even, pinning Okada (and getting a title shot because of that). So I wouldn't rule it out wholly, at least not yet.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Todd's finish: pissing up a rope, or yelling balls so loud his opponents head explodes?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

What makes it extra great is he's rocking the Neil Hamburger look in the still

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There's something nice about even "The Man With The Worst Personality In The World" being all "Hmm, gently caress bigotry".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Maybe he can wear that mask UT wore after Mabel broke his orbital bone. poo poo, their gimmicks are even sorta similar, in that they're both husky genltlemen of the night who like beating the crap out of people.

New BTE is interesting.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 20, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I bet Marty turns on Cody tomorrow

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Marty Scurll was pretty drat over on night 1, thought he got the top pop

Then I saw Kenny and Kota's entrance, holy poo poo. Pretty impressive pop for a smaller show.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

cams posted:

the golden lovers are going to be the hottest act in wrestling for the foreseeable future

Fuckin' A. I hope Kenny wins the strap, then holds it for a bit before losing to Naito to set up Okada (who wins the G-1) gunning for Naito at WK, all with the support of Kenny's roommate Kota.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I get the impression NJPW fans are just thrilled he speaks it. Everything I read in You Gotta Have Wa implied Japanese fans expect you to acclimate them, not the other way around, and Kenny has done that. He lives in Japan, he speaks the language, he loves the culture. If he was a Yomiuri Giant, he'd be nationally beloved.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So I guess after that BC will completely fall apart? I could see Cody alienating everyone after that "Bullet Club is MINE!!!!" poo poo, but the Bucks obviously won't be with Kenny, either....

I guess the Tongans could take the whole thing over. With Fale and Page as their honorary Tongans.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Uhhhh... I know they're both pretty bland, but Owens is the honorary Tongan. Page is the one guy who's pretty much 100% on Team Cody.

And also the angle with Page and Knife Pervert was very weird in that it's a major 180 from how they've been booking White previously.

I often forget about Chase even though he's a regular for the indy that runs here, he's basically the #1 heel for them and he's sensational at it, but he's such an afterthought for NJPW

You're right though, Page pretty firmly seems on Cody's side, and seems to be the only one who is

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Benne posted:

If Beer City Bruiser was born 30 years earlier he'd be the biggest gaijin heel in New Japan

Bill Watts would have loved him

Meanwhile....

https://twitter.com/KennyOmegamanX/status/967467741039935488

https://twitter.com/MattJackson13/status/967579111718834181

Also that chop Hikuleo hit on Cheeseburger looked like he murdered him

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 25, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Didn't Kota win all of their singles matches in DDT?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Just hire Rob Naylor to brief both guys about context. This isn't hard.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

The Bucks recoiling as if struck by a physical wall of force is amazing.

When they feel like it the Bucks are amazing at showing rear end

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

KungFu Grip posted:

it'd probably be better to sleep for 3 days, that way he thinks your dead and that his job there is over.

Look at this amateur who thinks Suzuki will stop once you're dead.

He stops when he's finished.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Man Zack Sabre has great taste. IDLES and Napalm Death? Awesome.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Kota is winning the tournament, then the belt, then Naito is winning the belt from him, then Omega is winning the belt from him, then Okada is winning the belt from him, then Naito is winning the belt from him.

If that's how it happens I'm 100% on board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Napalm Death is super left wing so it's not surprising he'd call a move that even if it is a name of Stewart Lee routine