Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I wonder if Jericho will go after Tanahashi next to complete his tour of the NJPW main event? As a part-timer you couldn't ask for a much better three-matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

How often does New Japan run shows? I'm interested in following them more, but I'm a dumb American so WWE already takes up too damned much of my free time.

It probably averages out to about one big show per month, with lesser house show type events in the lead up to each show. The exceptions are tournaments which can run more days than not for a week to a month, and multiple night medium shows with big matches spread across each night like the upcoming New Beginning. The tournaments are largely skippable aside from matches you're interested in, though there can be a lot of those in the G1 Climax, the big summer heavyweight tournament which has been absolutely stacked for the past few years. You can safely skip a lot of the lower card for most shows too, unless you're really into it or have a lot of spare time.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I'm all aboard for the Kitamura challenge tour! This is the most I've seen a young lion featured since I've started watching NJPW so I assume management is high on him too.

The tag title one night/singles titles next night is an interesting arrangement I haven't seen them do before. It's fun to see the tag titles at the top of the card but I don't expect it to last. That big multi man elimination match should be great too.

I'm wondering if Jericho will beat Naito to set up a title shot. He should be putting over youner guys but that's the only way an Okada match makes sense.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Jenny Angel posted:

God drat, Kenny vs. Knife Pervert was really good. I feel like this gimmick might actually work in the long term? Which is something that seemed pretty hard to believe after Wrestle Kingdom

I liked it a lot more than the average poster here seemed to as well. I do think it was a misstep to not have White lay out Page after Kenny pushed him, though, just to make him look a bit more sinister and competent.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I didn't see that someone posted the first round matches already and it took way too much effort to upload this on my phone so here are the alleged brackets from Reddit.

Ibushi vs. Sabre round 2 please.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Ishii has a pretty easy waltz to the finals so this might finally be his year and that coward Okada will be forced to give him his rightful title shot.

There are some interesting possibilities here with the seeds of discontent Switchblade has been sowing in CHAOS and only one non-CHAOS singles champ at the moment.

Ibushi/Ishii finals would be just swell.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Both of the NJC matches were a bit heavy on finisher spamming for my liking but the miniature hoss off aspect of Ishii/Elgin was fun.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Come on Fale and Archer, surprise me!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

KES matches are usually when I take my piss break but I really enjoyed Fale vs. Archer.

Yeah it was a fun big man brawl. I also love how much joy everyone gets out of Archer's pre-match showers.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Put Elgin and Juice together in Tag League as 'Gin & Juice.

Tanahashi vs. Juice is a fun semi-final with a great underdog vibe, though I'm still looking forward to the other side of the bracket more.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I was a bit cold on ZSJ's initial matches in NJPW when he went toe to toe striking with much beefier dudes, but I'm loving his more recent submission and counter based technique.

Sabre/Tanahashi would be an interesting final given Zack's inability to submit the very injured Tanahashi last year and the recent damage Suzuki did.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

And imagine all the possible Rainmaker into submission counters!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Strawberry Panda posted:

I don't know how Tanahashi is going to deal with these submission maneuvers with his beat up body. Maybe that athletic tape will hold him together.

That and hairspray, according to Zack.

I could see the final going either way, but it will be weird if ZSJ wins and Tana gets a shot at the next big show anyway to defend his record.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Takuan posted:

Congratulations to ZSJ for winning the New Japan Cup.
Congratulations to Gedo for proving everyone that assumed Tanahashi was going to win so he could defend his IWGP Title defense record against Okada wrong.
And finally, congratulations to Okada for breaking the record for most IWGP Title defenses.

I skipped to the main event, is the undercard worth going back to watch?

I just watched the tag before the main event, but it was fun.

Heck of a Cup this year and great run for Zack. I figured they'd go with another pass out finish to protect Tanahashi, so the tap out was a surprise.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

If you are outside the US.

I wonder if (and am hoping that) this includes Canada, but I'm not expecting it to.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Incessant Excess posted:

Do the Road to... shows usually have english commentary? I noticed in the schedule that this one does and I feel like this hasn't always been the case.

They're doing it more often, as mentioned, especially when there's a major show shortly afterwards that they'd fly Kelly out for anyway.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Edit Edit: "Mexico can gently caress off" ahahaha

I liked Taka half-hearted admonishing him.

Other highlights of the show were Callis running away from Archer and women in the front row swooning as Tana iced his groin.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

When are the Bucks going to get a heavyweight tag title match?

I know people (including myself) want to see Kenny and Kota in high-level singles competition, but I think they might be more valuable as a main event-level tag team at the moment. I'd like to see them take the tag titles in the next couple of months and roll through the competition with high-profile (for tag titles) matches, then face the Bucks (who won tag league) at WK in a SSE rematch. I doubt this will happen since the tag titles are an afterthought and the Bucks still seem relatively undervalued on the Japanese end of things, but I expect next WK will be Okada/Naito again so Kenny and Kota might as well do something with their time.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

fart blood posted:

Finally watching this Strong Style Evolved show (I haven’t been catching up with NJPW lately and I finally have time.)

What is Roppongi 3K? What happened to Roppongi Vice? Where is Trent Beretta?

Trent moved up to heavyweight with Rocky's blessing after RPG Vice lost and failed to regain the junior tag titles last summer and Rocky introduced RPG 3K as his new proteges.

Trent is currently injured, having torn a pec and some part of his arm in a PWG title match against Chuck Taylor.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Strawberry Panda posted:

I loved the part where Naito eliminates himself and Suzuki just to gently caress with Suzuki and preens after. Then while he's gloating on the outside, Suzuki brains him with a chair.

I loved all the dick kicking.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Oh jeez, I just had a look at the cards and this next week is going to be awesome and difficult to keep up with. If they mashed all the big matches together it would basically be another Wrestle Kingdom! Shame I'm out of town all weekend. :smith:

Okada vs. Tanahashi!
Naito vs. Suzuki!
Ospreay vs. Kushida!
Kenny vs. Hangman!
Ibushi vs. Cody!
Juice vs. Goto!
KES vs. LIJ!
Tongans vs. Bucks +1!

Lots of rad tag matches too, though. Especially looking forward to Golden Lovers vs. Taka/ZSJ and Okada/Ospreay vs. Kushida/Tanahashi.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 25, 2018

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Juice vs. Goto was really good!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Am I crazy or did they get Kevin to do the show from the 27th in post? I could swear it wasn't listed as having English announcing on the schedule, but I just logged into New Japan World and it's in the 'NEW' carousel.

One of the Korakuen shows from last week went up late in English too. Maybe he's dubbing some of them from home?

sigmachiev posted:

Main event didn't really do it for me, and even before the abrupt finish I was thinking it was a little below what my expectations were.

Spoilers in case anyone is still catching up today: Wonder if Naito winning means Ibushi or Kenny gets the shot at Dominion. I don't see them doing the champ vs champ match anymore now that Naito's champ.

I'm not sure what they'll do with the HW title but I assume ZSJ gets an IC shot soon.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

extradite THIS! posted:

Where in the absolute tits is the VOD. Jesus christ

Edit: specifically where in the gently caress is the Naito thing.

Yeah that took forever but the top two matches (and the Naito business) were worth it. Dominion looks amazing, too.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Is it weird that I kinda want to see Jericho vs EVIL now?

If they had (have?) him for more dates, I'd love to see him take on Sanada, Evil, and Hiromu in the lead-up to Naito. Not that he needs the wins to stay over, but it would be useful for all concerned. I wonder if Jericho will mention being the greatest Intercontinental Champion of all time? I guess I could see him beating Naito for the title and dropping it to Tanahashi later on.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

God I love it when New Japan remembers that KUSHIDA is great

Edit: Holy poo poo, Hiromu

That dropkick in the stands was a great way to start the match. They seem to be getting around the venue a bit more than usual this year, which has been fun.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Well poo poo, I guess I shouldn't have skipped the non-BoSJ matches.

"Fuckin' Crazy" Chris Jericho is his best reinvention in awhile.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Draxion posted:

Desperado, Sho, and Hiromu are the people I'd most like to see win the NEVER openweight title right now. Chuck Taylor too, probably.

Yeah, I'd like to see a lot more inter-division competition for that belt. We rarely get jr. vs heavy single matches and there are so many I'd love to see. Some kind of openweight round robin tournament would be great too. I get why this doesn't happen from a booking and logistical reason but the hard class divisions prevent a lot of potentially great matches.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

There was one earlier today and one tomorrow/late tonight in NA, but neither was live. VOD will be up when they get around to it - it's seemed slower lately.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Looks like they're keeping the field pretty even again this year. I assume Ishimori and Ospreay will top block A with Ishimori getting the tie breaker, but I'm not sure about B. Hopefully Hiromu!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

The whisky spot in Ospreay/Kanemaru was great, and I was glad to see YOH win even though I sort of spoiled it by noticing he was at 4 points before watching the show.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Strawberry Panda posted:

Any idea who Mysterio will go against? Will it be Liger?

That was the original plan, but they also opened up the possibility of Ospreay (or less likely Scurll) at SSE.

Despy/Kushida was loads of fun today. Most creative use of a dolly that I've seen in a wrestling match!

Oh, and I recently started to watch the post-show comments and I'd highly recommend them to everyone else. "I hope to use a local suplex in every town" was a highlight today, and SHO talking about the proper ecosystem for juniors was good a couple days ago.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 31, 2018

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

YOH vs. Kanemaru was a weird main event but it delivered!

Heck, so did the rest of the show. Great BOSJ so far!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

June 2 matches are up!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

SHO/Hiromu was fantastic and I'm stoked for the final two shows. Looks like Ishimori will take A block, but B is a bit less certain. I expect an upset in SHO/Scurll so things come down to Kushida and Hiromu, but we'll see.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Yeah I didn't go back and check past results to see what would happen with a tie in B, thanks for that.

Ishimori hasn't impressed me in the tourney as much as I'd hoped but any of the possible final matches should be pretty great.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

sigmachiev posted:

That was an excellent show and the finals should be fun. Rooting for Hiromu and very ready for Dominion hype to start in earnest tomorrow.

Yeah, as tempting as it will be to skip to the final match I don't want to miss the hype segments between tag matches.

Willninho posted:

EDIT: Also Chase Owens was surprisingly good on commentary. Chase Owens is pretty great at every role he's done with New Japan.

Chase reminded me a lot of AJ Styles on commentary. Or maybe I just can't tell southern accents apart.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Takuan posted:

I just finished the BOSJ and :dogbutton:

I put the main event on while doing my morning physio and it almost made me late for work. Ishimori definitely stepped it up for the finals!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I know most flips in wrestling serve no purpose but at least they look cool and can be argued away with wrestling logic (more rotation = more power). Flip Gordon is one of the few dudes who manages to make stuff look less cool by adding complicated gymnastics. Doing a springboard 450 from his knees just makes the move look weaker and there is no internal logic as to why it is better than just a 450. Same with dumbing himself on his own head for the dumb Samoan drop he does.

Slight tangent, but Adam Page's SSP shoulder tackle off the apron is my least favorite example of this. It would look way more impactful if he just did a normal tackle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Strawberry Panda posted:

My beautiful boy Hiromu won!!!!

Too bad NJPW World spoiled the result for me when I logged on. Oh well, still an amazing match.

I've been going straight to the /series page for awhile now as I had a few things spoiled early on.

Super excited for Dominion this weekend! My wife has plans to go out and be social but nuts to that I have wrestling to watch!