Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
I wonder if Rush's showing this tour means that he'll be coming to Japan more in 2018. Seems like he'd fit into the heavyweight mix well. It also wouldn't be a bad way for Okada to get yet another defense against an Ingobernable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Where does Okada go from here? He's beaten everyone.

Ishii seems to be on the horizon for him.

Jay White has been talking himself up as a future challenger.

Ibushi could be an outside possibility before the G1. ZSJ too.

There's also the Tanahashi match that they haven't touched in a very long time.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Just want to chime in here and say that I loathe Marty Scurll.

I hope that he gets signed to WWE and put on Raw very soon so that I don't have to watch him anymore.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

Did anyone watch Lion’s Gate?

I did. Nothing to write home about other than one of the non-NJPW guys looking pretty good in the main event.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Watched the AXS show from this past week with Hiromu vs Ishimori and it's the most animated JR has sounded in years.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Another unique set of Okada matches is the pair with Marafuji from NOAH (first in the G1, then later a title defense).

Also, his match with Roderick Strong from one of ROH's Coney Island shows has always felt underrated to me (though that might be biased since I was there live instead of the first NXT Brooklyn show).

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
I'm sure the Tanahashi vs Mike Bennett match I saw on an ROH show wasn't much on tape but live I was high-fiving the strangers next to me and going nuts. That's when Tanahashi clicked for me.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Okada will be facing Omega at the Dome. Mystery solved.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Pretty amazing to see a wrestling company that doesn't have complete contempt for its fans.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Says a lot about New Japan that this morning's pretty good Omega/Ishii match was quite literally the worst IWGP Title match in years.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

I don't know how anyone could think that match was pretty good. Fantastic hot match with an incredible last 10 minutes.

The idea that match was worse than Omega/Cody, Okada/Cody, Okada/EVIL or AJ/Okada 1 is nuts.

AJ/Okada 1 was over four years ago and was certainly worse.

I personally liked the other matches better (though Okada/EVIL is on a similar level so I guess I'm guilty of hyperbole here).

Maybe the hot crowd just didn't come through for me because I thought this match felt flat. The whole show did. Omega and Ishii have obviously had great matches in the past but I didn't feel that this was one of them. I enjoyed it. There were moments when I got really into it. But overall it just didn't come together or feel like a classic world title match.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
So who was Meltzer talking about in the Observer when he said that an NJPW talent was discouraged from making an appearance for Impact?

I'll start the wild speculation with...Elgin.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

The_Rob posted:

People on twitter seem like they're down on this show, but I like that we're really starting that build to wrestle kingdom. We got some good exciting poo poo going down and the landscape is changing a bit.

I think people are down on it because KOPW used to be a legit big show in its own right and this year felt like it was more about getting to the Tokyo Dome. Plus there were a ton of ref bumps/interference/other bullshit up and down the card. Had there been a couple legit MOTY candidates a lot of that would be forgiven (especially since a lot of the older-ish (as in 2012) fans got into NJPW in the first place because of the magnificence of the upper card).

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

VJeff posted:

lol it had three matches that would've been legit MotY contenders in any year where Dominion and G1 weren't absolutely insane.

To be clear, I liked the show. I just didn't think that the in-ring stuff was on the same level as the NJPW main events often are. I understand that you must have loved those three matches but I, and I bet many others, would be hard pressed to name a year in recent memory where any of those matches would have cracked the Top 10. It's not just that the last two years have had such a high standard.

VJeff posted:

If you think Chaos civil war is better than Chaos vs BCOG then I have to virulently disagree with you. Jay White was a complete prick rear end in a top hat to everybody in Chaos for months and hasn't actually proven poo poo, but yeah Ishii and Roppongi 3K should turn on Okada because ???? Reasons?

Not sure if this is a response to something I said. But as a lot of people have speculated over the past few weeks a Chaos split would be explained by Okada losing his mojo and not being much of a natural leader to begin with (plus, he never gave Ishii a title shot after the G1 loss). I'm fine with BCOG feuding with someone other than the Elite as it'll freshen up their role on the card. And I like how they've pointed to Jay White's history in order to get his joining up with them to make sense.

VJeff posted:

Also now Tama Tonga can slip into the Karl Anderson role he was meant to be in.

Agreed 100% - Tama is way better as leader (guy who makes the decisions) than he was as "ace" (guy who wins the matches) of the group.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
The best part of Trent's commentary was how he compared YOH to Jeff Hardy.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Are these shows the commentary debut of Lanny Poffo as well?

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Maybe missing the Okada Cruise will be the wakeup call that Ospreay needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

So what are the must-watch matches from the Jr tag shows thus far? I've watched precisely none of it because I've been super busy.

LIJ vs R3K
R3K vs Super 69
LIJ vs BCOG
Yesterday's Chaos vs BCOG 10 man including the post-match

Nothing has been bad, so beyond that any matchup that you find intriguing is probably worth checking out.