Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I'm a very new pro wrestling fan (golden lovers bandwagon), and have been working through some of the recommended matches from the past couple years. I watched the Okada v Tiger Mask W match, and I was surprised how blatant the English commentators were about it being Ibushi.

Like, "wow it's like these guys have seen eachother before!!" and then immediately they start talking about Okada v Ibushi's 2014 heavyweight v jr heavyweight match (which was also a fun watch).

Was it an open secret when the match happened?

I'm enjoying my new life as a pro wrestling fan, and this thread has helped a lot with sifting through what matches to watch 👍👍👍 so very very much thank you for that. 🤼

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

A good match, and my first time waking up early enough to watch it live

As much as I wanted Ibushi to win, ZSJ is kinda fuckin cool. Also handsome, albeit not Ibushi level handsome. :allears:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

from yesterday: https://twitter.com/JJWilliamsWON/status/974177679724417024?s=20

I am kinda saddened by the lack of balcony moonsaults in their match

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

KungFu Grip posted:

Chuckie T & Kazuchika Okada vs. Chase Owens & Kota Ibushi

I cannot contain just how excited I am for this handsome battle

also https://twitter.com/SexyChuckieT/status/975726591564136448?s=20

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

abraham linksys posted:

good excuse as any to post the best match i saw live in 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3hUjiVVg0M

if you'd told me that 4 months after this one of these dudes would be okada's best friend and the other would be his next challenger, man, :allears:

this is fuckin great, thank you!!

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

isn't that taguchi japan? :confused:

wait, nm, they're sans taguchi, and you can't just go out without your coach!!

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Jackie D posted:

Am I missing something about bushi, I love the other LIJ guys but he does nothing for me

bushi is beautiful and sensitive, and if you followed his Twitter you would know this!!!

https://twitter.com/BUSHI_njpw/status/971751094949851137?s=19

https://twitter.com/BUSHI_njpw/status/983991100141686784?s=19

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

hunktears is also kinda the best, if only for wonderful threads like these:
https://twitter.com/hunktears/status/937218633947799553
(okada eating dessert)

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

i forgot that tickets went on sale today :cripes:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gnossiennes posted:

i forgot that tickets went on sale today :cripes:

cool, there were still tickets, hooray 👍

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Draxion posted:

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/994672226984124417?s=19

Kenny's given some thoughts/hopes for his match at Dominion.

oh god kota's gonna be there one to gently caress it up at the end isn't he

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

That's a really good explanation (especially as a pretty new fan) and I appreciate it, thank you!

on a diff note, I'm real excited to follow bosj for the first time, and also to see more of Ishimori's abs.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

The Cameo posted:

It's a swerve. Red Shoes is going to go into business for himself and pin them both, simultaneously.

and then shota & red shoes team up as the family friendliest tag team in the business :allears:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

just rust posted:

My cute friend YOH has changed the game with the tassel trunks.

I"m kind of a fan :swoon:
but it also kinda reminds me of.... some more questionable tights

VJeff posted:

Man, I'm super into Ishimori after that match. Him as his weird mismatched head-body thing.

he's also surprisingly short, like, 5'4".

and he has nice abs, obvi

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/sundownmotel/status/997898003196317696

:allears:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

St Evan Echoes posted:

His gentlemen fans are equally creepy intense :)

https://twitter.com/WillOspreay/status/997741965629308928?s=19

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Yeah, as tempting as it will be to skip to the final match I don't want to miss the hype segments between tag matches.

Chase reminded me a lot of AJ Styles on commentary. Or maybe I just can't tell southern accents apart.

In your defense, Chase is from east Tennessee, and AJ grew up in north Georgia, which ARE pretty close. AJ's accent (and north Georgia accent) is a bit twangier!

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

handsome only face posted:

he's copying the same uninterested with arms folded look, also that's chris jericho

but there's no scarf? :confused:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

yeah, agreed on disappointment. I'm excited for Jay v Juice, but Kenny v Cody just... kinda sounds dull at this point. the extended bullet club drama is boring, but if nothing else, i hope that's the definitive end of it.

with all the other LIJ members on the card, hopefully we'll get a hiromu match too? :shobon:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1002728379852787712?s=19

I'm guessing Tanahashi will be on the card somewhere, since he's on the poster.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

Two Okadas as well.

now he's free to do a singles match, too, thank god

as for the super strong machine match, here's the lineup:

guessing 69 is taguchi and ace is tana. what about the others? nagata for justice?

nm:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

you all forgot the most important part:

ibushi is literally an angel who taught him that he needed love to win

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

The light touch storytelling is also really nice. I 100% read the story as a gay romance. You can watch it and also read it as a close friendship. Both work really well. It's just nice to see such a positive male relationship in any piece of media. It is such a good story.

honestly, this is my favorite part of new japan.

personal stuff: i am a trans guy who didn't grow up with wrestling (but recently found it), and who is still trying to figure out what masculinity ~really means~ while also trying to avoid toxic ways of being masculine, and understanding what it means to move through the world in a different way than before.

somehow i ended up on wrestling, but it's been a surprisingly positive show of masculinity, and with such a variety of masculinity, too. and a big reason why i've liked new japan a lot, is that sometimes you get to see people fighting who then turn around and give thanks to each other for that fight (e.g. ACH & tiger mask for a recent one, or Tana & Juice back in new japan cup; i like the mentoring aspect a lot, too). And it's emotional!!! I mean obviously, not all of them have the same level of emotions shown. But there's emotion there, and shared emotion, and it's just really cool to see.

and yeah, i 100% read golden lovers as gay romance, and i like it because i like gay romance a lot. and i like the friendship aspects in the story, too -- that's such a big part of it!

wrestling is really cool :allears:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Takuan posted:

That commentator should be fired. He totally blew the count and spoiled the finish.

agreed, what a shame

(in truth: that was cute)

DangerDummy! posted:

Also, I have spent two decades alternating between indifference and strong dislike for all things Don Callis, and I have to say I have been really enjoying his run on commentary. I could do without listening to him getting horned up over Pieter and Abe anymore, but outside of that I think he's been a lot of fun.

yeah, i could go without the pieter horniness from commentators (and could go without yujiro at all, really (but pieter can stay; she seems nice :shobon:)). i read somewhere that milano & liger on commentary are really bad about it too, but i don't know if that's true or not.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

shiksa posted:

i do not care for yujiro's brand of wrestling horniness, never have. horniness, of course, has a place in wrestling, and taguchi is an example of someone who does it relatively well. in addition you have hiromu's relationship with belto-san, which, i mean, he's hosed that belt, another perfectly fine example of wrestle horniness.

good point, i do like wrestle horniness, and it definitely has a place in wrestling. and yeah, hiromu's hosed that belt 100%

and you've reminded me that i want to get a taguchi japan shirt :dance:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

i still love that LIJ is basically just those weird kids who sat together at lunch

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

coconono posted:

NJPW iconic babyface is Inoki who routinely ignored the rules and legit hosed people up. Crowd always popped when he wrecked someone tho.

I've been reading Chris Charlton's first NJPW book and it covers this, and it's an interesting read.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How is it? Worth the purchase? Does it go into Inoki-ism?

I got the Kindle version, so $5 and to me it's worth it since I don't intend to watch a bunch of old matches and would rather read about it. and I like history of stuff.

and of course it does!

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

Jerusalem, if you're wondering why everyone is doing those pile on pins, whoever loses this match will apparently be exiled from Japan.

this explains some of it, but boy howdy is it still confusing

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

This is great and incredibly confusing

agreed.

Also, i really like that MAO shirt. is there a way to order from ddt's shop similar to how njpw's shop works?

also this kid looks 17.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

It's also worth noting that Ibushi's picture here:
https://twitter.com/mojoquix/status/1002991829820891139

has some similarities with Kenny's old house tights:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

is this.... the handsome battle?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

They are pretty clearly willfully misinterpreting him there.

um, no.

Having a convicted sex offender on your show is a bad loving look, and dismissing someone complaining about it by saying they have a "holier-than-thou attitude" (note: they didn't) is a terrible way to go about this. It's like apologizing by saying "sorry you were offended"

MassRafTer posted:

He literally says he gave them the chance to do the dark match.

as for this, this was still a show with his name heavily, heavily attached to it -- even though he gave them the opportunity to put on this match, if they have a gently caress up like this (again, a convicted sex offender, and _also_ the opponent having a domestic abuse charge), that's still on him. The dude's record was not in any way a secret.

and sorry, his apology is pretty half-assed, and to be honest, saying "I'll only use people I feel comfortable with/am familiar with" and that he never felt like anyone was a criminal/that they were so polite is frustrating to me -- a lot of abusive people in the world seem like really great, nice people, at least to the ones they're not abusing. Again, this poo poo was not a secret.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/KennyOmegamanX/status/1013071545961451523

yeah ngl when i saw this, i thought he was talking about the sex offender too. that's not willful misunderstanding; that's just misunderstanding.

it's a-ok to be disappointed in Kenny for letting a show get booked with a convicted sex offender and a convicted domestic abuser, both of which could've been known with a simple google, or simply by anyone involved with the booking who knew about it (which i highly doubt was zero people) loving saying something.

He might not have booked them personally, but he knew they were booked. He was fine with them being booked. He didn't raise any misgivings about having these two booked, on a match where he granted permission to other people to book, but he still had some say over. It's not like he had zero knowledge of this match happening, and whoopsies! a match happened!

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

He personally booked them he says so in the tweet. Reading is your friend. He says it twice. They helped him so he let them do the match.

https://twitter.com/KennyOmegamanX/status/1013076436134047744

The tweet says he let the wrestling school/ring crew book the match, not him.
Even if he didn't book the match, he still had a ring crew with a convicted sex offender on it.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

a much better apology, thanks kenny

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Juice was over as hell, don't know how much they showed on TV but he chugged beer, went into the crowd and ate popcorn

he was in my section and looking for someone he hugged too, but I dunno who that was. he was real cute and happy :kimchi:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

shiksa posted:

"hiromu is in a state of consciousness"

still scary, not that scary.

btw is chase ok? brutal for him to lose honorary tongan status like that.

he's pivoted to twitch streaming so about on par with most breakups

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Cavauro posted:

I made it clear a while back that JR was pissed off in real life and neither JR nor I are messing around.

wow sorry we didn't believe you forums poster cavauro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/HenareNZ/status/1016472216802811904?s=19

another firing squad member in the works? :allears: