Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I hope that Cody's success in the indies and Jericho getting lots of buzz, respect, and sick $$$ for his NJPW match encourages more WWE guys to head to ROH or NJPW. Let the Ryders and Zigglers of the world get a shot at being better utilized while not necessarily traveling on the crazy WWE schedule. I'd be particularly excited to see Ryder use social media, streaming and youtube vids to showcase Japanese culture, and particularly Japanese wrestling culture. I feel like that's a niche that isn't really being filled right now and it's a good way to draw attention from the international audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I feel like you can have Kenny be the guy to finally beat Okada for the title after Okada holds it for maybe even as much as a full year, then Naito beats Kenny, Naito wins a rematch with Kenny, and Naito defends vs. Okada. Then you do Okada as a man on a mission to get his title back, you've cemented Naito as a top guy, and Okada's had a long enough run where he only lost like twice a year to where he should be your top star for the forseeable future with or without the top belt.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

With them trying to cement Okada as a legend he should absolutely go undefeated in the G1 and have his WK challenger come from another source than the G1 tournament. This seems like a prime time to do that. It also leaves it open for someone from WWE to come over for the WK title shot, which is drat unlikely but hey why not leave that open as a possibility as an added bonus.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

shiksa posted:

no one from wwe is beating okada in a million years

Oh I didn't say they'd win, just you leave it open for them to come over for the main event. Obviously they don't beat him, but that's the cherry on top of crowning Okada, then he could lose the title and become only ~mostly~ unbeatable after that.

I just feel like NJPW should keep raiding WWE any chance they get, even if they never get anyone better than Jericho it puts a dent back the other way after they lost both AJ and Nakamura and could lose Kenny if he ever decided that's what he wanted.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 6, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Labeling a guy as having a trial series is actually a really good idea for how to get a new guy over aside from the usual "have him beat everybody" approach. Put him in the ring with most veterans, have him lose all the time but put in a decent to "nearly won" showing each time, and win the last match and that's a fun little story, and numbering the matches and varying opponents makes it more meaningful than just having him fight whoever or jump right into a feud. And along the way you aren't permanently ruining the new guy or anything because he got thrown right into the young lion's den with former champs and the like.

Turns out the 7 match series was a good idea, you just need it to have no stakes but pride and vary the opponents. If they ever want to give Tye Dillinger an actual chance in WWE then putting him in a 10 match version of the trial series isn't the worst idea, though it's quite a bit lamer if he bills himself as a perfect 10 and loses most of those matches. Maybe you invert it and he wins 9 straight and goes for the perfect 10 against someone way above his place on the card like an Orton or Cena. You also can have fun on the bottom end of it where he starts at like Hawkins, then Slater, and so on, moving up the ranks punch out style.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I think leaving it open to a title shot of your choice is smart, most of the time the winner will go for the top title but you leave it open for guys with major beef with someone holding a lower title to go after that one, and it raises the prestige of the lower belts to see that someone could have gone for the top one, but wanted the lower one more instead. Not that NJPW really needs that bonus when its IC title is closer to the top title in prestige than any other two similar belts in any other company that I know of.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

I don't know what's crazier

ZSJ submitting Naito, Kota, Sanada and Tana in less than a month

Or that it'll all end with ZSJ putting over Okada's dumb cobra clutch and being submitted himself

I'd be totally down for it if Okada had a submission that looked cooler or was more innovative. I think they're doing plenty to get over the finisher if he's been beating guys left and right with it, I'd prefer to see Okada keep trying to get it on ZSJ but since he knows all holds, ever, he keeps escaping it in different ways and Okada finally just does stuff like jumping tombstones and rainmakers to beat him.

It also gets across the notion that if you have a big multiple finisher toolbox (which so few people in wrestling do) then you should go to the right tool for the job. If you need to pound a nail, use a hammer. If you're against a big slow guy your submission's the right tool, and against ZSJ you need big impact or strike finishers.

ZSJ shouldn't be hurt by a loss at all, having submitted so many big names in such a short time, and if he's able to escape Okada's newly deadly submission then that keeps him looking even better in a loss than he already will, given that Okada has become the god-tier megaboss that he has and losing to him shouldn't harm anyone much at all right now.

Another advantage is that Okada's submission has been effectively lately so it'll get a nice pop when ZSJ doesn't just make the ropes but twists on out of the sucker and slaps on one of his finishing submissions immediately, probably the best way to give a hope spot for him and make the crowd worry that Okada will lose after all.

Anyway this is my usual wall of words having not seen much NJPW at all lately, I'll close by saying that not signing with WWE was so entirely the right choice for ZSJ and I can't imagine him being a quarter of the star there that he's being presented as in NJPW.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Benne posted:

The Bucks are way more valuable together than apart, and they absolutely know it. They're not splitting.

Overall I absolutely agree, but this seems like the kind of thing you could definitely do as a special one-off thing at a big show. You know, the kind of show you go All-In on.

Do it there and only there, have them hug each other after the match, streamers in Young Buck colors fly in from everywhere, I mean it's hard to see much of anything wrong with that picture aside from using two of your big-name talents in a match against each other instead of a tag match against other guys, but to me that's just the sort of thing to create the big event feel they're going for. Traditionally tag-team splits have been big deals, long-ish feuds and they stay broken up for a long time, but it seems to make perfect sense for the Bucks to have a brief dispute before joining back together again. Heck of a pop when one cuts a promo right after winning or losing about putting the past behind them and staying a team, and then you have the classic hug/handshake spot where you worry about betrayal but it doesn't come and huzzah for that.

Have them Superkick each other at the same time once during the build, and there's your big photo and video clip to promote it before the match.

Edit: Oh, and there's no way NJPW has "Book the Rock" money, but there literally cannot be a bigger star or splash they could make than for him to come in and face Okada. He's such a big star that he honestly doesn't even have to be in a match, just having him make an appearance would be such big wrestling news and get them at least a chance of mainstream coverage, it'd almost be worth the literal million dollars they'd have to give him for showing up for like, two or three appearances. Hearing the Rock cut a promo in Japanese would be the absolute poo poo too, and don't tell me he wouldn't because he's the goddamn Rock he'd be able to learn at least a short promo's worth and he would sell the hell out of it.

Alas we'll never see Rock saying "Finally the Brahma Bull has come back to the Cow Palace."

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 29, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

SalTheBard posted:

You are such a cock tease.

Saigo ni burafuma buru ga Kau paresu ni kita. Thanks google translate!

I will settle for Rock saying "Burafuma Buru" at any point in his lifetime.

I don't do it often, probably only once a year, but sometimes my dumb fantasy ideas would actually be cool as poo poo, and a Japanese Rock promo would be cool as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I mean, you don't take a bump like that and have to completely sell it on your own since that had to hurt like hell, but goddamn the "literally fall in a heap motionless" sell is one hell of a spot. It's scary as hell to see and I don't want to see it often, but holy poo poo was that effective and Naito did it super well, and it really amped up the match for me especially after Ibushi took that sick sunset flip spot on the outside so I already high impact stuff on the brain.

It's kind of the perfect thing to fit in to a high-stakes tag team match too, whoever isn't the legal person in the ring can take the death move and just play dead and you do the finish soon after.

Crazy to see matches like those as part of a CEO collaboration, I hope Kenny can talk them into doing it every year and that they work in a crowd mic and a better ring in the future, but if this ends up as a special one-off it's hard to ask for more than they gave here.