Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The Cameo posted:

Shibata then proceeded to sit cross-legged, cross-armed, and shake his head until his chances of survival raised to 80%.

It worked.

the shaking was actually neurological misfiring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Those pants are swag as gently caress, plus they totally changed up how tall Okada looked.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

$100 in California money is like $20 everywhere else in the US.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jay shoulda stuck with Fit so they could have out of control young boy adventures. Now he looks like budget Omega.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I enjoyed that Elgin got like 0 offense in War Machine was reluctant to tag him in

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Le Saboteur posted:

Why are they even booking Elgin at this point? Can't this just release him from his contract?

They're letting him finish his dates as a courtesy.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Artelier posted:

The NJPW YouTube has translations of the post-match interviews. They come out a few days after, but I guess that's time to edit and subtitle everything. The ones just in English (Jericho/Omega and I think Jay White) came out almost immediately though.

The Okada/Naito one tells the story of the match more explicitly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iNpHV3ZKLc

Worth subscribing to the account I feel.

man I can't get over the merch they keep sticking YOSHI HASHI with

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

someone tell GEDO that Jay needs to stab someone to get some respect around here.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

or he could stab a reporter.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Omega is definitely in Hansen's league in terms of his importance to Puro(even with Meltzer writing them, history's gonna be kind to Omega). He doesn't crossover as much in Japanese Media though. Kenny hasn't had any TV spots or cameos that I'm aware of.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Elgin's (final?) tour includes working with some of the old NJPW hands. Their input on how he carries himself will be considered if they retain him.

So unless he turns in 5 star efforts or becomes expert bag carrier/back shaver, don't expect him after this tour.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

you could skip the WWE programming and just enjoy good wrestling that isn't intentionally booked to piss you off.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

people would like YOSHI HASHI better if he said stupid poo poo in english on twitter.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Baron Corbyn posted:

he should just tweet "LOOSE EXPLOSION" over and over again

international YOSHI HASHI tour. he eats nothing but tacos. he takes pictures of the tacos and captions them LOOSE EXPLOSION

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Is it safe to take him past a certain elevation?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

even Jay White's merch is embarrassed

https://twitter.com/JayWhiteNZ/status/951193605107937280

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

VJeff posted:

Do we discuss All In in this thread or is that deserving of its own thread?

go to the puro thread with your filthy japanese indie

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

fave match of the show was Naito/Okada.

The build for Jericho/Omega did nothing for me, and honestly, the match bored me.

The Never Trios gauntlet was surprisingly good with Trent getting murdered and then coming back to win the drat thing.

Kota/Cody surpassed my low expectations because Cody took some burly bumps and NJPW camera dudes were quick to get Brandi's cleavage as much as possible.

Loved the tag title match. So much muscle, so much hate.

The Juniors stuff was ok, I guess. Young Bucks matches do nothing for me because its nothing but Bucks antics and the other team constantly falling for them. Not contesting the Jr title in a straight up singles match cheapens it imo. Plus Ospreay is liability.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

KES owns because they're complete and utter assholes IRL and wrestle exactly the way you'd expect. They're hard hitting big boys that give 0 fucks if you live or die when they hit you.

Also Lance Archer is easily owned on twitter, bonus.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

checksin posted:

I felt like I got sprayed by lance archer’s infinite supply of water and I was sixty rows back

I have it on good authority that he practices his entrance to get maximum coverage.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

SalTheBard posted:

I am loving shocked that Okada vs. Naito didn't get 5 stars. I thought that match was great and part of a 5 star match is the crowd reaction and that crowd was on fire for both guys.

Agree. Okada/Naito hit all the sweet spots for me. Plus those Okada pants were badass.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

or embrace the greatest wrestling on the planet Yano Toru.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Yano is exactly where he needs to be at all times. He's confounded Minoru Suzuki and Kenny Omega into doing the stupidest poo poo imaginable. And possibly one the most impenetrable rollup pins in the history the business.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

gaijins gonna arbitrate what "true puroesu" is?

coconono fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 12, 2018

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Maybe Okada’s fiancé was imaginary? Ive never seen them doing stuff together. Or maybe they were engaged but broke up quietly a long time ago?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The Cameo posted:

All right, so here's what has happened over the past day since that news came out:

Tokyo Sports ran the article announcing the engagement originally back in 2017 - her name is Yoko Mori. And part of the news about Suzuko also contained the news of he and Mori breaking up, including roughly when it happened, as well as when he started his new relationship (he and Mori broke it off shortly after Dominion, he and Mimori started dating at the Asahi/New Japan G1 Finals celebration party which happens like a couple days after to celebrate the damned tour being over; in what's either a crazy coincidence or a huge red flag, it's the same exact party where also when he started dating Mori in 2013; either way, this really gives you an idea of how rough the schedule is for Okada if this is like his one time to even decide to date who is essentially a co-worker). This is all stuff that Okada gave quotes over, as part of what's a post-Tokyo Dome interview - in both articles, the first almost a year ago to the day (the engagement news was January 15th last year, and it was like midday on the 14th over there when this came out).

She lost more Twitter followers than Okada even has over the course of the day due to this news and the statement they each put out on Twitter (which was basically "yes, it's true, and we're serious about this and have talked about our future seriously, no, I'm not retiring"; his was "yes, it's true, and I'm gonna keep wrestling and bringing it to new heights") was a bit awkward as it was, something tells me maybe Okada didn't actually run this by anyone before blurting out the state of his love life.

Also some more tabloidy sites are running what I assume is probably the reason he decided to blurt it out, which are some photos of them sneaking about, face masks and overcoats and all. What I don't think either was expecting is that it's being paired with a claim that they hooked up in 2016/early 2017, which is obviously painting her as a tryst he had, evidently when she moved to a new apartment?

Also someone from one of these tabloids referred to Okada's dick as "sweet potato class" like half a day ago and now she's getting the nickname "imorin" (imo meaning "potato" in this case).

It's real messy. And really weird to watch happen in real time like this. I'm assuming the claim about them hooking up while he was with Mori is probably attempting to make a new juicy story since they probably originally just intended to run with "wrestling champion sneaks out on the town with idol!", but who knows the actual veracity of it.

This is usually why Japanese celebrities don't say poo poo or try to be seen with their S.O. until one day they literally announce "oh we got married", especially nerd celebs like voice actors (one literally didn't say anything officially until she had gotten married and had a kid a year and a half prior). The country's industry is conservative in general as well and they generally frown on this.

Seriously, Kazu, ya kinda hosed up here. I also guess this is a reminder of how unfairly precarious Japan's entertainment industry is to the women in it. He's gotten just about no backlash, it's all been on her.

Then again I'm still waiting for the sexual assault dam to break over there, it feels like a very likely thing given the ages and situations a lot of fledgling actors find themselves at and in when starting out. I mean, I hope it's not as bad or as thorough as the Hollywood scandal train has been, but the anime industry is rather small and tightly knit and has the conduct of the culture it exists in to operate under.

As a person that doesn't interact with Japanese culture beyond watching wrestling and major network kid's shows, I'm convinced healthy dating habits aren't in vogue. What little I follow on the anime/manga/hentai scenes shows that pro-femme icons are seriously underground stuff.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

after threatening to run Taichi over with a motorcycle, I can confirm that japanese death threats don't translate well at all.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The Cameo posted:

Yeah, in a world where a guy brought a handsaw to an AKB48 event and managed to break two women's hands before he was tackled and arrested, it's usually better to be safe than sorry.

Although that's more a worry for her than for him. They'll raise security levels for a little bit at New Japan shows, it'll blow over for him. Wrestling fans don't have a particular dog in this; sure, he'll lose a chunk of women fans, but he's got a pretty good cross-demo appeal (and besides those would have dropped off with the engagement announcement last year anyway), which is why he's the Ace of the promotion. It won't harm him too much. Because, after all, he's a Japanese man and they get all the rope in the world before they hang themselves.

Her near future is a bit murkier. It's a bit complicated to explain, but she's stated before her ultimate goal is to sell out the Tokyo Dome as a solo artist, which requires her to be a mainstream recognizable figure, which she has clearly been working towards for the last couple years - she's doing commercials, she got a voice role in the newest Ultraman series that got her a featured physical role in an episode, all that sort of stuff. But the assumption when you enter a public relationship in Japan is that the woman assumes a more submissive role. So she might have to contend with those questions for a while, potential employers now have this knowledge and are going to weigh the potential that she could end up dropping out of a project because, oh, she's getting married/having a baby and the assumption there is that she would be leaving the industry completely (regardless of what she's said) against her worth as a name and a performance. Then there's potential nutso fans at face-to-face events to deal with, she's probably going to deal with threats, tabloid articles (and she was witness to a pretty rough time that her friend/Love Live co-star Emi Nitta went through with a made up accusation a tabloid ran of being in a JAV movie before she was a voice actress that pushed Nitta off all social media for two years due to the virulently bad reaction that received) for a long while, it's gonna be a little ugly for her at best and might be a poison pill for her career at worst.

I like anyone that shows up in Ultraman. What's this lady's name again?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

These fans do realize that pop stars aren't their friends, right?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I love Okada's pants.

All hail the Long Golden Boys

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

please dont stab YTR, knife pervert.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

dromal phrenia posted:

im imagining jay white holding his stupid rear end tiny switchblade necklace, and yano selling it like he's terrified for his life

then Yano kicks him in the balls, does his pose and deploys yet another vicious roll up pin while Ishii does a 3 count

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dave getting worked by Gedo again, fuckin mark.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Tiger Hattori and Goldberg are gonna settle down to some beers in the near future tho.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

El Hijo De Rush is too dang cute.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ishin posted:

I love how much Taguchi gets into the lucha stuff when they come around. His shtick can get me in to a match no matter how random

its about the only time I really like Taguchi too. He's a better fit for lucha goofiness than NJPW.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm so here for the Kitamura trial series that it hurts. Is this a thing that New Japan has done in the past with a wrestler they're high on? If they've done this before with anyone and it's on World, I'd like to see it.

Inoki's farewell tour where he beat the piss out of various martial artists and tough guys. I'd pull the dates but Cagematch is down for me right now.

Everyone should watch Inoki beat the piss out of people, for science or whatever.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

St Evan Echoes posted:

:tipshat: thank you friend

I think it was Marc Maron who watched that during his podcast and commentened over it. if you can find a version with that voice over, its even funnier.

I've seen clips of Great Antonio and he does the same schtick where he takes all this abuse from dudes and then does a bodyslam, 1-2-3.

The only reason the ref stopped that poo poo was because Antonio was legit KO'd and Inoki still kicked him a few more times.

Great piece of wrestling history.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Inoki has always been batshit.

Dude got into a fist fight with Tiger Jeet Singh and hired him on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Obviously he pulled it off but man if he'd overshot that just a bit, those photographers are in toruble.

If I remember the timeline right, BJW did something similar with a dive off the balcony and it was much grosser looking. Like overshot the table smack face on ground gross. Venue probably freaked out about that more.