Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Wow the room pretty much emptied out for this so far boring game

The game itself looks like one I'd want to play but since I usually use GDQ streams as background noise the commentary is pretty :geno:

Spermando posted:

Weird. I remember in college they told us it takes 30% more time to say things in Italian/Spanish compared to English.

Localization for anything is only as good as your localization team, bad ones can end up cutting a lot of flavor/nuance if they can't figure out how to translate the idioms

Like all of those joke subbed fighting movies where a guy talks for 10-15 seconds in japanese and the subtitles are just "No"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

TeaJay posted:

Well, Skyrim is/was a trainwreck disaster, but an awesome one.

trainwrecks are made or broken by the commentary, and skyrim and spla2n both had good runners/couches

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Amppelix posted:

If you want some fun/annoyance/whatever other emotion this may induce, here's almost a thousand people being very mad that the twitch chat isn't as terrible as it is usually https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/7oreaa/agdq_chat_in_submode_only/

quote:

Well it is the Prevent Cancer Foundation, they're just doing their part.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zelder posted:

I have no idea what the point of twitch chat is when the stream has more than like 1000 people. You're legit just screaming into a void

"IT ADDS CHARACTER", I scream in protest, as the chat fills with page after page of "NIGGERFAGGOT"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

JesseHechtCREATIVE posted:

What's a good speedrun to show new people? People who don't know about speedrunning or gaming. Thanks, guys. :)

are you looking for a good speedrun or a good GDQ run with commentary?

for the former, Mario 64 0 Stars is a pretty good short "what the gently caress is going on" kind of video

for the latter, CovertMuffin's Jedi Knight 2 run is a pretty good "I'm explaining thing as I go along" kind of deal that's entertaining and not 3 hours of :spergin:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Carbon dioxide posted:

Apparently people are being banned for re-hosting AGDQ this year. Does this have anything to do with the chat being sub only?

A random example someone sent me: https://twitter.com/Forsen/status/950353455469744128

According to https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/8/16863098/games-done-quick-twitch-chat-hosting:

quote:

A Games Done Quick representative confirmed that the organization isn't involved with Twitch's removal of other casters hosting the original stream.
Update: A Twitch representative told Polygon that "anyone is welcome to host the GDQ event as long as they're not blocked by or banned from the hosted channel and do not violate our Community Guidelines. The majority of channels hosting GDQ have done so without issue."

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bloodplay it again posted:

Transphobia and general toxicity are not limited by a $4.99-or-mom's-Amazon-Prime-freebie sub. There were tons of people being assholes when sub only mode was turned on and it only added to the toxicity by starting "pleb" arguments in chat. Sub only mode should have never been turned on in the first place. Now that it's off, GDQ chat is still only about "get a sub badge, plebs." As long as there aren't any awful, attention whoring may mays like waluigi's waahs that spring up this week, I think AGDQ18 is gonna pick up the pace and lead to some super exciting PBs or, dare I say, WR runs.

Sub mode is still on, there was an issue on twitch where some people subbed weren't displaying badges.

e: The idea of anyone saying "A $5 barrier to entry is horrible" on a $10 barrier to entry forum board is :ironicat:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Shwqa posted:

Chat is way better this year. Sure there is a lot of free the plebs comments but people will get over it. I checked out one of the rehosted chats. It has such "hilarious jokes" such as Blackman instead of bat man and bunch of what is this referring to a transgender person.

I can't believe people want to go back to that.

Yeah the only way to have done this better is if GDQ announced ahead of time that it was going to be sub mode only so everyone had enough time to get the drama out of their systems before the event instead of during

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Your Computer posted:

It's not eliminated but it's certainly limited. It's also easier to moderate when people aren't spamming the n-word at a thousand messages per minute.

Also if you want to pay $5 for the honor of dropping an N-bomb and then have to reroll a new account and pay for a new sub to do it every time, that's fine, but by definition it's going to cut out a lot of the low-effort heavy spam

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Lobster posted:

Is there a place yet where all the VODs are compiled?

http://gdqvods.com/

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Coolguye posted:

i'm unclear on if the contributions from channel subscriptions are being counted in the running total right now. anyone know if they are?

I think historically they are not, they usually release an "actual total donation amount" after all the twitch subs and bits have been figured out.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

IcePhoenix posted:

idk if it needs to "officially" be recommended but the punch out 2 games one controller run was awesome

and I really liked the mega man relay even though it wasn't necessarily close :shobon:

Just pretend MM2 is the end of the race

because it was

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

tyblazitar posted:

And finally, the "probably don't watch these runs even if you're interested in the games, they were pretty bad" list:

inFAMOUS First Light
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Secret of Evermore

LittleBigPlanet2 should be here

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

flatluigi posted:

That was the first rando I've watched and I thought the commentary was fun and informative and the race was super interesting. I'm actually really surprised to hear that apparently people didn't like it, everyone I was talking with in IRC was interested.

I know that rando was apparently a...uh..."controversial" subject beforehand, but as a casual who didn't grow up with a SNES/LTTP I had a lot of trouble even remotely following what was going on. Normally I love Pat as a commentator but the continual "Yep, that'll be super important and they'll have to come back for that :geno:" about every rupee drop/arrow upgrade/etc was confusing as poo poo (before he did it so frequently that it was a "oh okay he's just beating a dead horse of a joke, okay cool")

And then managing to catch up to what was going in just in time for "they're actually really close to each other-- oh, andy went left and chris went right, okay andy wins" was kind of a :flaccid: ending, actual skill notwithstanding.

e: I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more if the exhibition was "a dude running it and explaining his thought process/what he was doing", but even then it looks like a lot less "oh poo poo they're doing weird cool poo poo I've never seen before" and more "unstated/unseen strategy" that's more fun to play than watch. But that's just my two cents.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 14, 2018

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

New Concept Hole posted:

Pretending Super Metroid mattered was holding the marathon back.

This but "non-sub-mode twitch chat"

Max Coveri posted:

Also they can slot better games in its place instead.

I would take 10 super metroid runs over another metroid prime

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

mango sentinel posted:

Infamous First Light was a snooze but not offensive. What happened in Prime 3 and Secret of Evermore?

Prime 3 was the same as most primes, a lot of attempt-to-get-OOB-fail-curse-repeat-10-times trainwreck with no real redeeming entertainment value

Skyrim and MSG3 were trainwrecks but entertaining trainwrecks

WRONG DRAGON

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rirse posted:

Do find it fitting his donation incentive to sing some unfunny song failed.

In case you feel like you're missing out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FVTx6tQ-Dk&hd=1

• Locked thread