Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Skyrim's first 5 minutes were gold but it's kinda slowed down. Of course it's a 50 minute estimate so I know it's not going to be all facehugging a mountain but that's such a shame that the air got let out of this balloon immediately after such a high-octane start.

Couch crew / runner have a great vibe on this one though and they're keeping it fun even in low points like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

The Speedrun reddit is just vile. I used to lurk it because I wanted to keep up with speedruns more than twice a year but it's just, all that. All exactly that. I didn't really get the vibe there's a lot of actual speedrunners there, it all felt like it was where stream monsters went to spew bullshit

These events aren't perfect by any stretch and the event organizers don't always make the right call, but at the same time I don't really know what those people want out of GDQ

God this Skyrim run owns bowns though. I love how the skips keep escalating in how inscrutable they are

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Usually a run going over estimate is a sign they were a skippable trainwreck disaster but Skyrim and Spla2n were both really good and fun. Goes to show how a good couch vibe can carry things

EDIT: Also in the past, the GDQ staff has been very strict about getting people in and out of the couch, especially when they're over estimate, but they've given everybody the time to say their piece or do something fun at the end so far if they want that? (They let the Spla2n guys talk through the credits, and they let the Skyrim marriage happen) I'm glad--I tooootally get why they usher people in and out on a tight clip when setup is such a big deal but in the past a lot of runs have ended kinda awkwardly? It's nice to just get that hot second to let these people say some poo poo and SO FAR, no one has overstayed their welcome, thankfully

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 8, 2018

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I can't believe how long it's been since an f zero game came out.

Does this run include the arcade only tracks that could be unlocked with a memory card taken to the arcade?

As far as I know, it should!

For the record, the AX Cup could be unlocked by beating the regular 5 cups on Master, the highest difficulty, because of loving course. The AX Mute City track, Sonic Oval, gets unlocked for Time Attack if you beat the AX Cup on Master. I think this run has to do that too. There's a lot of loving setup for a Time Attack run

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

JesseHechtCREATIVE posted:

What's a good speedrun to show new people? People who don't know about speedrunning or gaming. Thanks, guys. :)

Chaos option: Animorphs.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

While I've done absolutely no research on this, EVO has always historically been sub-only mode just because it makes them that much money to do subs.

There's really nothing but benefits to just locking the chat to subs for GDQ. It's a fundraiser. Mad nerd money is still money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I'm late to this but I think LTTP Randomizer was fine, but maybe shouldn't have been a race and maybe could've been explained better.

I think the time was right to give Super Metroid a break, it's a classic and I genuinely love the Save / Kill the Animals event, but it's gotten played out and I really don't feel so hot on the last two races from AGDQ and SGDQ 2017 (bus guy notwithstanding). LTTP Randomizer was a good idea, and I think it had good workings, but it didn't really play out for me. I'd be interested to see it get a second crack.

I really think that whatever they do for the "main event" game should really have a Save / Kill donation war equivalent, even if this year has proven that's not necessarily crucial to donation success. I just think it's fun to have that recurring theme throughout the event. It's like Splatfest. It's not an important thing to argue over, which is exactly what makes it fun to argue over.

• Locked thread