Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Let's-a-go

And even though it was mentioned in the OP, I cannot stress enough how easy Streamlink Twitch GUI makes watching Twitch streams on VLC.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at Jan 5, 2018 around 17:26

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

Ah...so I'm not alone...another Smart Poster.

I've been asking Studio and other GDQ people to mark the game platform in the schedule for a couple events already now, but it doesn't seem to be a priority thing.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I Greyhound posted:

Set your calendar for Thursday morning for the Awful block with:
Arabian Nights
Enviro-Bear 2000
Dog's Life
Animorphs: Shattered Reality

Arabian Nights is scheduled for 7.30 AM local time, so hoping a change or two to push it back just slightly for my morning coffee

I work some evenings night shift next week so can't be around live as much as I'd like to, but I will hold up the fort for team EU morning/afternoons in the chat thread when I can. Looking forward to it once again.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

mp5 posted:

i look forward to as many thread injokes as possible or repeated commentary about how people say you hate fun

either of those works

I'm hoping for the couch to be full of guys eating nachos

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Personally there's no design that jumps out immediately this time, like, "I have to get that ASAP". I always tend to get something with a retro game theme so maybe the Twinbee one.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I reckon Ratchet & Clank will be mandatory viewing for people catching up. Crazy glitches, tech and fast-paced action.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm already adding Skyrim to my recommendation list simply for the runner & couch commentary. It also helps that Skyrim is broken as hell

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'd rather not even think about Twitch chat or Reddit.

Skyrim is a pretty good candidate for run of the year so far.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well, Skyrim is/was a trainwreck disaster, but an awesome one.

It's 1:35 AM but I still need to see Hollow Knight. Hopefully it won't disappoint, I really loved it last year, played the hell out of it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Good morning friends. Any good stuff between Hollow knight and now?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It's pretty much why I'd prefer to have the emphasis on nice things and good times these events bring and less about the negative reactions that the vocal minority tends to have.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

My shortlist of recommendations so far:

- Skyrim (it's a marvelous trainwreck and a broken game)
- Contra (some excellent co-oping)
- Aladdin (impressive tech and singing)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Gonna add both Donkey Kong Country runs to my recommendations list: DKC2 for being a great race with great tech and DKC Reverse boss order for ... being really insane. Another good candidate for Best run of the event for me.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

El Matador is already going on my recommendation list. It's got a crazy spin mechanic that allows you to clip through anything and fly through the skies, because well, he is EL MATADOR and he does whatever the gently caress he wants

Also, great couch.

e: AlsoSerious Sam 3 was AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

TeaJay fucked around with this message at Jan 9, 2018 around 09:20

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

My updated recommendations so far (runs I've seen myself)

Skyrim (it's a marvelous trainwreck, funny tricks and glitches) <- Best Run candidate
Contra (how much in sync two runners can be)
Aladdin (great movements, singing: the EU edition)
Donkey Kong Country 2 race
DKC1 reverse boss order
El Matador (spinning and sliding, physics and walls optional) <- Best Run candidate
Rayman (great commentary even if you don't like Rayman)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

So how was that SOTN no bosses run? Crazy glitching involved?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Punchy's Silent Hill run will be recommended, solid run and good commentary.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

And I thought we'd been relatively drama-free

https://twitter.com/AnEternalEnigma...988112271994881

Didn't watch the run live so I dunno what actually happened here

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

My updated recommendations so far (runs I've seen myself so far, havent had time to watch any VODs)

Skyrim - it's a marvelous trainwreck, funny tricks and glitches) <- Best Run candidate
Contra co-op - how much in sync two runners can be)
Aladdin - great movements, singing: the EU edition
Donkey Kong Country 2 race - a very good race
DKC1 reverse boss order - this is insanely good and glitchy run
El Matador - spinning and sliding, physics and walls optional) <- Best Run candidate
Rayman - great commentary even if you don't like Rayman
Resident Evil 3 race - from what I saw it was pretty fun
Silent Hill - Punchy's guide on How to open Doors
Batman - A real exciting race once again
Battletoads - TMR pulls through, blindfolded Turbo Tunnel at the end
Battletoads Arcade - PJ breaks something once again and it's glorious
Dragon Warrior - a human TASbot destroys a game (Dragonlord -> :| ) <- Best Run candidate

TeaJay fucked around with this message at Jan 10, 2018 around 19:12

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

And I was right, Dragon Warrior was absolutely insane, definitely recommended.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

D. Ebdrup posted:

That Metroid All Bosses Deathless (on schedule as Warpless) run is ABSOLUTELY worth a watch.

Seconding this

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

Wow, how did this Strider deal get approved? Who thought this was a good idea?

Pretty much everyone but you in the chat thread, apparently

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.speedrun.com/stridernes/thread/nrwnq

quote:

Runner trying Strider for the first time after AGDQ tutorial finds massive skip

https://twitter.com/coolkidBIGBOY/s...279100009656320

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Not surprisingly Superman 64 will be on the recommendations list.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The awful block is off to a real strong start, Arabian Nights is another one best run of the whole event candidate.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

DiggityDoink posted:

I missed Arabian Knights, but Enviro-Bear 2000 was pretty loving good.

Arabian Knights was even better, it was probably the best run of the event so far.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

We thought that after Superman 64 it would be hard to top, but boy, we were so wrong with Arabian Nights.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The Arabian Nights chat starts from

https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...&pagenumber=545

onwards. Nice reading to accompany the run, the thread was going absolutely crazy.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I will add some more runs to my recommendation list:

- Jedi AcademFWHAHAHAHAAAA
- Cat Quest - highly ameowsing run

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

So what happened during Skyrim, is that game just that big or something?

It was one of the best runs of the event for sure.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Every time this annoying couch commentator calls mortars "more-tars" I grind my teeth a little

Poo on you for hating on Covertmuffin

I will back the Diablo run up, if some run was fun, this was it. The commentary and back-and-forth between Funkmaster and Covertmuffin was brilliant, and the runner was so happy to get donations

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

That's what this thread already is. At least what the intention has always been while there's been two threads.

Yep, that's how I've pretty much viewed it. You can chat about anything you want in here too, but mostly I've been using it to recommend runs. It's also good for stuff like that gang tag instructions and various questions that get drowned fast in the chat thread.

But obviously you can post pics and memes here too. There's been LOADS of great picture edits this AGDQ, I hope someone can collect them all.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

My live viewing of AGDQ 2018 ends sometime during FFIV unless the finale will end earlier than scheduled. It's been a great live posting week and the event has been awesome. I have not had a chance to watch and VODs so far, which is due to work but also the fact that this event has been really hecking solid throughout. Really few totally dud runs, and some of the best moments I've ever seen in a GDQ.

Be sure to put up your recommendations if you haven't. I'll make my final list later on Sunday.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

All right, here's my updated list of recommendations too: (from what I have seen, haven't watched any VODs yet!)

Skyrim - it's a marvelous trainwreck, funny tricks and glitches) <- Best Run candidate
Contra co-op - how much in sync two runners can be)
Aladdin - great movements, singing: the EU edition
Donkey Kong Country 2 race - a very good race
DKC1 reverse boss order - this is insanely good and glitchy run
Mega Man X4 - HE BETRAYED THE MARATHON AND HID IN THE MEMES
El Matador - spinning and sliding, physics and walls optional) <- Best Run candidate
Silent Hill - Punchy's guide on How to open Doors
Batman - A real exciting race once again
Battletoads - TMR pulls through, blindfolded Turbo Tunnel at the end
Battletoads Arcade - PJ breaks something once again and it's glorious
Dragon Warrior - a human TASbot destroys a game (Dragonlord -> :| ) <- Best Run candidate
Strider - How a person is taught to speedrun a game in 30 minutes
Superman 64 - It's as broken as you think. START OF THE AWFUL BLOCK
Arabian Nights - We the chat thread transcended to another plane by viewing it. Sparked numerous memes. <- PERSONAL BEST RUN OF THE EVENT
Enviro-Bear 2000 - EAT THE FISH
Titenic - Based on a somewhat obscure James Cameron movie
Jedi Academy - Open your heart and let Covertmuffin in
Cat Quest - It's ameowsing
Densha de D - MULTI-TRACK DRIFTING and eurobeat
Diablo - I KNOW THAT GUY FROM MY DISCORD! WOW!
Dark Souls 3 - Apart from small hiccups at the start, the runner destroys all the bosses you had trouble with - and even blindfolded at the end
Bloodborne - Even if you don't know the game (I didn't), the energy from the runner is awesome

Also, some longer runs for general good chilling out by watching, they had great commentary:

Rayman
Mass Effect

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Cory in the Blouse posted:

June 24 through July 1 this year instead of being the first week of July.

Unfortunately it means it will overlap with the football world cup 2018 which means my attention will be spread even more during those days.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

victrix posted:

We need an SA-master-watch-this-run list, there are times where I want to go back and check a vod of a game from some previous gdq that I haven't seen, but without speedfriends to guide me I might get this years Secret of Evermore run instead of RE7

A pretty good bet is to put PJ as the runner and go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Steve Holt! posted:

Yep and SA threads are one of the sources I use to help me figure out what to put on there!

Well now you just know that Arabian Nights has GOT to be there.

• Locked thread