Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I didn't really watch the last SGDQ or all *that* much of AGDQ 2017. Did the rules lighten up at all or is the place still horrifically strict and forced to be straight faced.

E: I have nothing against the event to be clear, I just found that over time it became less fun to watch because rules kept getting added and it felt like every time a runner joked or had fun they'd get slapped on the wrist and told that it wasn't okay.

I kinda honestly have no idea how this thing even persists. I guess some people are just bitter that GDQ is a bit bigger now than "live from some guy's garage, anything goes!" and that of course translates to "no fun allowed". I've had plenty of fun watching GDQ ever since I actively started (2015 or so).

e: There's also a small number of people who go out of their way to trash GDQ every year, making false photoshops and video edits and of course spreading rumours on how the GDQ staff is actually secretly lizard hybrids who steal all the donation money for themselves.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The Lobster posted:

There was a program (or perhaps two programs working in tandem) that allowed twitch to pop out and play in its own window on your computer without commercials or the chat. It was linked in the OP of every QGD thread but this one. What was/were the program(s)?

It's in the slow thread OP, Streamlink Twitch GUI

I suggest Grandpa puts it in this OP too before the event actually starts so people can prepare and set it up (is real easy though)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Also, as mentioned before, Bonesaw wasn't banned, he just couldn't submit runs for a year (?) and sat on the couch for tekkie's Silent Hill 2 run last SGDQ.

e: I mean, Bonesaw's run was a glorious trainwreck of a run, but you can't really expect the staff to be fine with somebody making such a mess of a run all the time.

I tend to remember the good stuff, not focus on the bad ones. Although I will admit I'm real bad with awkward stuff and can't even bear to watch replays of stuff like the "jump in front of the shuttle" guy.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 6, 2018

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I think PJ's Lagoon run is probably one of the best, if not THE best GDQ run I've seen. It's got everything you want, PJ, a hilarious, broken game and a great couch & commentary.

Also wish more people were around to see Might & Magic VI live from last SGDQ, since it was run early morning EU time. It's also where the various

reaction shots are from. If you didn't, you still have time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl6p6Pni6U0

Greetings from Finland.

The Lobster posted:

Btw, serious for a minute, my friend Eli is 13 and has brain cancer and loves getting cards from all around the world. This is the only time I will post about it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1807308812843058/

Eli Clark
499 Montgomery Hill Rd
Walker, WV 26180

Please post this again or put it in the OP so I still remember this on a weekday.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 7, 2018

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The Lobster posted:

I'm going to post it again but I have no power to put it in the OP. I have the edit that he would appreciate poop emojis drawn on the cards.

I am over 30 and also I do not know what a poop emoji is but I will do everything in my power to find out.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It looks like a slow evening for me as well (begin time is 18.30), the first run I know will probably be fun is Skyrim, and I'd really want to see Hollow Knight, but it's really late already. If you didn't see Hollow Knight last summer, definitely check it out. I don't really follow speedruns outside of these events so I have no idea if there's much new but it's a beautiful game with lots of precise platforming.

Dunban posted:

Oh hey, they actually have the announcers on the schedule now as well

And they have added the game platforms too!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I Greyhound posted:

So what are the advantages of Streamlink whatever? I'm an old man and installing things is hard with the configuarations and the clernifications, so I'm probably just going to watch on Twitch unless someone convinces me to do effort.

Streamlink Twitch GUI real easy to set up, no need for command line type stuff but a nifty GUI like the name says. Set up your preferred video player (I use VLC) and you can launch the stream with source quality with a few clicks in the player window. I tend to transfer it to my 2nd monitor and chatpost on my other one. Also it works a lot more stable than the Twitch player.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I usually can never watch the finale anyway due to it being like 6 AM on a monday morning. But I'm with everyone in spirit as well.

e: Although this year I will probably be awake when it's time to end

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

I tried to get livestreamer to work, then I realized I had no idea how to program anything and am confused by everything. Help would be appreciated cause Twitch chats tend to be toxic cesspools of no fun.

Streamlink Twitch GUI for you also.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

I don't think they are? I'm probably just being really stupid right now. Like do I just open up VLC now and run it?

After you have them both installed now you just run the application Streamlink Twitch GUI. From there you set your Twitch account and the player you want to use, and your channels should show on the left side, GDQ being somewhere, and then you can launch it. If you have the app on, it will always notify you when a stream you follow starts a broadcast.

e: fug me they're playing Uno

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I see the murder carpet makes its return

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I would've thought that Twitch chatters would be prepared to pay a sub fee to be able to insult streamers in chat, but I guess I was wrong

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Darkman is being Producer Kan from Game Center CX here

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Webbeh posted:

drat I love GDQ.

:yeah:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Is my eyesight getting worse or is the GUI font getting smaller?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The Kins posted:

Maybe you should pay five bucks for a readable overlay?

Well, to be honest, I don't _really_ need to read the PLATFORM, RELEASE YEAR and ESTIMATE texts all the time

But the donation tracker text could be a bit larger.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I don't understand the binary clock

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

IMO it's important to keep the game info up for any new viewers that join and have no other context.

Yeah, I just meant I don't really mind them being small.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The Grimace posted:

Yeah. They had a really fun FFVII speedrun last year, I think it was at SGDQ? I loved watching that one a ton, but that one was still like 10 hours too. They saved it for an overnight one so it didn't interfere with the primetime runs, given that it was so long.

P5 could bring in a lot of viewers, but it would be detrimental unless they can do it in a reasonable amount of time, and that's not happening. :(

SGDQ 2017. It was done morning/afternoon EU time and it was a perfect way to spend a saturday afternoon with some guys playing FF7.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Slickdrac posted:

Stream dying a bit? Or just my connection dying?

It's definitely lagging a lot. Gonna try to restart.

e: wow it's really bad now

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm so giddy about how mad r/speedrun is about the Twitch chat sub mode.

NO FUN ALLOWED

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I missed a bit but I'm assuming they met the incentive on that Crash 1 level because my faith in mankind will shatter otherwise

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Need more women with nice big bags ... of ice

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

mangler103 posted:

Oh poo poo, the in between run display is legit as hell. The audience cam was never really working anyway.

What, are you telling me we can't see Beardy McStroke and his girlfriend dressed as ... some kind of anime ... anymore during the breaks?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't know you can play as Shantae or Shovel Knight in Blaster Master Zero

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

Five Bucks Man reminds me of the Pepsiman run. Even watching it on YouTube, that run was amazing.

I'm actually drinking Pepsi right now dressed in my GDQ SHAPE UP! shirt (Yume Penguin monogatari)

I'm GDQ'ing with the big boys

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

axeil posted:

The other famous audience cam moment was when that girl got up and it looked like a guy sniffed her seat but it was creatively edited and he was in fact picking up his backpack or something.

That's more of an example of someone going out of their way to harass an individual by intentionally lynchmobbing them. I'd rather not even think that kinda sad behaviour.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Man, this game is broken.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

HEY

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

This is a real GDQ run right here

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh the Skyrim run does rule. I think its been at GDQ at least twice now. But since I'm actually playing the game right now I don't wanna watch it incase they casually drop spoilers about the DLC which I haven't played (it would be totally understandable if they did do that given the game is like 5 years old).

Skyrim in SGDQ 2016 ran by DrTChops was awesome if only for the great bucket strats and the "I love you" donation.

I took a little break to watch Broen (which I'm sure means nothing to you american types) and I want to at least catch Skyrim before heading to bed. Maybe Hollow Knight if they stick to the schedule, I really dig that game.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I mean, there are plenty of reasons to critique this run, it's not a very fun speedgame, runner is clearly nervous and the couch is dead as a dodo.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm trying to stay awoke for Skyrim and Hollow Knight to come.

I'm drinking tea.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Hi Dragon

Bye Dragon

e: drat it, I lost precious seconds not remembering Alduin's name

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

DrTChops with the WR on fastest Skyrim speedrun strat explanations

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

AND NOW WE'RE FAST