Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
God, that final level looked like such a wet fart of an ending to a wet fart of a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
If you don't like this run, go put on the VOD of the story mode run from a couple years ago where, at one point, the runner gives the AI opponent a 25 second head start
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvrepvisxA0

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Pants Donkey posted:

The deadline for submissions was after BotW was released. For AGDQ I think the cutoff was September or early October, right before Mario released.
IIRC there was some weird pastebin drama about the BotW run, because the major runners had all agreed to wait until the run was a little more refined before trying to get it into a GDQ event, and the one runner who did it didn't get the memo (and also any% is not the greatest category anyway).

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I hope they at least got an internal recording with the audio that they can post or rebroadcast later.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I love the audience doing The Count "Ha ha ha".

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
THIS is the enemy's bioweapon?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
This game is so faithful to the Genesis Sonic games that there's a zip glitch.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Majuju posted:

he was banned for almost 2 years and just got unbanned and is now back

gameing's badd boy tyler1 returns!!!
I watched a bit of tyler1 when he resorted to playing Dota for a couple weeks and can't understand his appeal. He's the very model of a modern toxic shitlord.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Shwqa posted:

Did they explain why the A rank was important?
They mentioned early on in the run that you only get the bosses' special abilities if you maintain an A rank, or something like that. I can't imagine it's hard to do in a speedrun anyway, given that "go fast" is a major criterion.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Note: El Matador died on the way back to his home planet

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
That still doesn't answer the question of why there's a shaft 15 km tall

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Wait, was the Leviathan Seed protected by an energy shield?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Samus Teaches Counting

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

raditts posted:

If there are some interesting ways to break Other M that can make it fun to watch, I wouldn't mind.
Some of my favorite runs are of utter poo poo games.
El Matador was a case in point.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Your Computer posted:

Whether or not AGDQ is a scam, I think it's completely a fair complaint that they do absolutely nothing to actually point out that the charity does practically nothing in the way of actually "solving/curing" cancer.

It's fine to like awareness charities or to assume that they're doing some good in the world, maybe they even are. But when a huge portion of the donations, year after year, are along the lines of "Let's kick Cancer's rear end", "We're going to beat cancer!" or "Let's make it so others don't have to suffer" etc, then it's clear that there's a tonne of people that aren't aware their money is being used for pamphlets rather than research. If they had an actual disclaimer, or actually discussed that it's a fairly worthless charity, or if they gave us options to donate to other charities, I think that'd be a lot more reasonable.
PCF does seem to fund grants for research into early detection, so they're a bit more useful than that. Sure, it's not the best charity (and, personally, I give more to SGDQ because MSF is a much better charity in general), but it's not some sort of massive scam.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Are we sure bent-over kid is awake?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Bent kid and silent kid from Burnout Paradise should be permanent couch members.
I'm pretty sure the silent kid from Burnout Paradise was just the runner's kid or little brother, and was just there for moral support.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Bubba Smith posted:

how is this game almost off estimate??? nothing has happened
Did you miss the 10 minutes that the runner spent trying to jump on a robot?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Toad is a diaper baby. This is canon now.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I like how they can just skip the warp blocks because the cat suit is OP.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Majuju posted:

iT's-a mE

Uh, excuse me, I thought Small Luigi was bannable

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The Toad snipe!?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Mo_Steel posted:

BAH GAWD THATS TOADS MUSIC

:vince:

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I'M GONNA WELD IT

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Max Wilco posted:

I forgot; did they phase TASBot? Those run were usually pretty fun for some of the crazy stuff they did.
The novelty of TASBot wore off after awhile.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Tetracube posted:

no TASBot run will ever top mario jumping straight into the code of the game itself and using it to rewrite the game
"This is a Snake run now."

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Thermal-tah-kay?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Random Stranger posted:

Well that advertisement told me exactly what Gorogoa is and why I should want to play it.

No, wait, the opposite of that.
It's apparently a really cool puzzle game. :shrug:

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Announcer dude's voice is seriously putting me to sleep.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Kaubocks posted:

love that bosses just have long periods of invincibility because?????
Because gently caress you, pay us.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

get that OUT of my face posted:

i just want nintendo to make another yoshi game as good as yoshi's island. part of the reason i hated yoshi's story was that it was piss easy and 100%ing it gave you no real rewards. i never bothered playing any of them since
There was the stealth sequel Yoshi's Island DS, but that game is weirdly difficult.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

get that OUT of my face posted:

yoshi's island for GBA turned me off from handheld yoshi games plus i heard the one on DS was bad
I didn't think Yoshi's Island DS was bad, just that the second half of the game is merciless and if you're looking for a casual romp, you're going to have a bad time.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

abagofcheetos posted:

the n64 controller is seriously a piece of work though wtf were they thinking
The N64 controller was Nintendo hedging their bets that analog controls would catch on. When they did catch on, Nintendo was stuck with this 3-armed monstrosity where no one actually used the D-pad arm.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
That was... a Poahr start.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
RIP Calco

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
This level is my least favorite, especially to 100% because you have to backtrack back up the shaft.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Giant Bowser is both an insanely cool fight graphically and very frustrating to aim (because the game isn't really designed around 3D firing, and it's the only place in the game where eggs fire in arcs).

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Yoshi Dot Science

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

god remember how bad the DS sequel was to this
Like I said earlier, the DS sequel is less "outwardly bad" and more "ridiculously difficult". If you've ever wanted a Lost Levels of Yoshi's Island, that game might be your jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

FriskyBoat posted:

I like OOT any% cause it seems like every time I decide to pay attention to it, there's a new trick that shaves off like 30 seconds. But I only really pay attention like, twice a year
It's something that's fun to watch very rarely, because once the shock of the wrong warp wears off it's not quite as interesting to watch people optimize it further.

• Locked thread