Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tekken Season 3 has begun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Negan hype

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Glad I can help everyone else move up in rank

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I want to get into fighting games. W are good ones to start with on PS4? I played a lot of Tekken Tag Team as a kid and tekken 2

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

EmmyOk posted:

I want to get into fighting games. W are good ones to start with on PS4? I played a lot of Tekken Tag Team as a kid and tekken 2

Tekken 7

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

tekken 7 my good man

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tekken 7 is a great game but it has 0 learning tools, they don't even tell you how to throw people outside of a loading screen tip. You'll have to watch a lotta YouTube videos to figure out how to play

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Thank you pals. I remember some stuff from TTT like stepping around an opponent and pressing triangle and circle or square and x to grab an opponent in a special way. I will youtube stuff though. I remember as a kid always trying to use Kazuya's super long spinning uppercut then playing against my sister and yelling at her because she kept KOing me with the chinese girls' basic kick attack every time.

Should I just get the base game? There's a whole bunch of addons and I'm not sure the best way to buy them. I'd rather buy them later but if they're way cheaper as a bundle that'd be silly.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

base tekken 7 has more than enough characters and goes on sale fairly often

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah all the DLC goes on sale often too, I would say get the base game and then if there's a character you think you'll like later grab the season passes when theyre 50% off

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Cool! It's on sale for me now and I saw that the one with season pass 1 and 2 was down to 40 euro from 100 so I ended up going for that. It wasn't that expensive in the end even if I'm not sure how much I'll like it! Very excited to perform hari kari with yoshimitsu again and wonder why it was so difficult to do and just hurts you.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

base tekken 7 has more than enough characters and goes on sale fairly often

i barely know 2 characters and it took dozens of hours of workshopping in practice mode, the game launched with a ton of chars. sucks about no tutorials but theres tons of stuff on yt for beginners, and characters like Katarina that are super simple and let you learn the basics without worrying about complicated combos

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Messed around for a while in practice mode with characters I remembered from when I was a kid. Then started looking up some YT stuff. I saw someone mentioned online that there are super aggro characters and super defensive ones so I might try and learn one of each. Not sure who yet though but it was fun messing around with Paul and King. I also want to mess around with Lei even though he looks super hard he was the coolest when I was a kid. I also discoverd I suck rear end at any moves that require two simultaneous button presses.

Also picked up SFV Arcade because it was like a tenner so I’ll try that too!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

EmmyOk posted:

Also picked up SFV Arcade because it was like a tenner so I’ll try that too!

:gonk:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Play Smash, bruv. Those other games are low skill ceiling trash for casuals.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Tekken has a cool learning curve because (at least with some characters) you have some very basic and easy to execute combos that don't really do that much less damage than the more complicated ones. So you can practice a bit, then play matches and focus on like sidestepping and punishing whiffs and positioning, then go practice some more and look up some frame data, then play some more and try and use what you learned, etc.

Characters have a billion loving moves but for me it's been helpful to just focus on a few and learning when the best time is to use them (there's some youtube series of "12 best moves for _____" that i found helpful) and then when i'm comfortable with that , work on expanding more and more moves into my toolkit. As a fighting game noob it's been a really fun game to learn; you don't really have to understand all the systems to get in there and fight, and it's been really rewarding to understand more about the game one chunk at a time and then see it pay off during matches

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

goferchan posted:

Tekken has a cool learning curve because (at least with some characters) you have some very basic and easy to execute combos that don't really do that much less damage than the more complicated ones. So you can practice a bit, then play matches and focus on like sidestepping and punishing whiffs and positioning, then go practice some more and look up some frame data, then play some more and try and use what you learned, etc.

Characters have a billion loving moves but for me it's been helpful to just focus on a few and learning when the best time is to use them (there's some youtube series of "12 best moves for _____" that i found helpful) and then when i'm comfortable with that , work on expanding more and more moves into my toolkit. As a fighting game noob it's been a really fun game to learn; you don't really have to understand all the systems to get in there and fight, and it's been really rewarding to understand more about the game one chunk at a time and then see it pay off during matches

Nice! I found one video by a pro gamer and she said something similar basically that you can't learn everything and to start by learning a couple of moves for the character of each type like low and mid etc. She also explained what all those things meant and which way to block them and use them. I think I'll have to rewatch a bunch of the basics stuff a few times just to remember the basics of what type of moves beat what and so on!

Gonna play some story modes with some characters who look cool and see which ones I'll practice on. Bob mentioned Katarina as a good beginner character so I'll try her too.

Also when the game says like D,DF,F do you just roll your thumb from D to F? BEcause I've been doing them all as individual presses. But then if that's the case I don't understand how the neutral thing would work.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

it depends on what move you're trying to do. if the qcf move is katarina's crouch dash which is technically a stance. you're supposed to delay the attack button input a bit, its not like a hadoken or w/e where you want to do the motion and hit the button at the same time. FOR most characters.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

it depends on what move you're trying to do. if the qcf move is katarina's crouch dash which is technically a stance. you're supposed to delay the attack button input a bit, its not like a hadoken or w/e where you want to do the motion and hit the button at the same time. FOR most characters.

harrier is just F,4 i don't think there's any qfcs that get you into it . just some other moves that transition into it if you hold F after

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

goferchan posted:

yea characters definitely have their bread & butter moves that you need and then 100 more that are mostly unused. character tutorial vids are really good about narrowing a character down to their good moves & easy combos

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

goferchan posted:

harrier is just F,4 i don't think there's any qfcs that get you into it . just some other moves that transition into it if you hold F after

oh. qcf is a crouch dash motion for a lot of characters and havent tried kat in like 2 years :shrug: IF there's a qcf motion in the movelist but the character doesn't have a crouch dash then its a uh "real" qcf move like a hadoken but the inputs need to be precise the input parsing in is pretty strict

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Played some more Tekken today and googled easy baby characters to start with and had fun with Dragunov and Jin’s sister character. I saw you could turn on the command history in practice mode which has been helping a lot.

Played some SFV but it seems even harder to get into even though it has less moves then Tekken. I really like the cartoon style and the weird characters though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I think it was IT who told me that one of the best things that makes Tekken a good game to learn is that when you get stomped , the round might not even last 10 seconds . This rules because (A) it doesn't drag poo poo out and (B) it makes it a lot easier to analyze where you hosed up and let them destroy you . That's not a quality it really shares with SFV

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

goferchan posted:

I think it was IT who told me that one of the best things that makes Tekken a good game to learn is that when you get stomped , the round might not even last 10 seconds . This rules because (A) it doesn't drag poo poo out and (B) it makes it a lot easier to analyze where you hosed up and let them destroy you . That's not a quality it really shares with SFV

Neat! I will probably focus more on T7 anyway but that's good to know! the SFV guide I was looking at recommended Ryu for a similar reason because when you get owned he's easy to understand whre you messed up and get better at the game instead of just better at a difficult character.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm trying to learn Claudio now i think

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Is T7 dead on PC? I watched I_T basically get no matches for an hour last night or whenever it was

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

For some reason Im feeling Tekken hyope. I think it will be different this time... Probably gonna get really good at the game and put a lot of hjard work in.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I usually get ranked matches in like 4 seconds. I think bc I was streaming and still had it set to 5 bar connections only it was harder to find ppl. Idk

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Can I pwn people without a stick. Im thinking Dualshock 4.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

net cafe scandal posted:

Can I pwn people without a stick. Im thinking Dualshock 4.

yes, that's a good controller too

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Tekken is really fun

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Bumping the thread to pour one out for Guilty Gear.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Kongming posted:

Bumping the thread to pour one out for Guilty Gear.

May is still looking fresh as ever bro. Sounds like someone;'s bueing a little bitch about htere gafavorite game . Lmfao. Just lean back and have some fun man, I;s all about fun with the bros. dont have to be winnin Nationals evcery night bro.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Itll probably be fine

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Except for the ui and netcode being terrible and it being a ps4 exclusive for 2 or 3 years

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hope they have an option to swap to this butt ugly placeholder UI the demo has currently

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bump for BBTag 2.0 hype.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

In Training posted:

Bump for BBTag 2.0 hype.

I'm excited

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

In Training posted:

Bump for BBTag 2.0 hype.

been playing it since it dropped on switch yesterday. hilda ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
It really is a very smash-like game in a lot of ways. Perfect for my introduction to real fighting games.