Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Kick-rear end? A better name would be 'Kick Me', because I sure feel like someone slapped one of those on my back and the world has followed suit.

And the worst part is the worst is yet to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just wanted to say that you're doing a great job with the analysis here. I haven't looked at Kick-rear end in ages, but seeing again now (especially with your lead-in to this part) just reminds me of this:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

I'm in for writing a review of some random comics. No dupes, though.

They just did an ESE special so it's up to 694.

You got 546. Final Night, a DC crossover I've never heard mentioned before I researched it. You can either follow a reading order like this one or just read the single issues of the crossover event itself, either way I believe all involved issues are on Comixology.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This should be fun. Let's see how bad the 90s can be.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Hitman had a pretty great tie-in for it at least.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

I have a soft spot for Final Night, as it was the first real big crossover when I was even becoming remotely familiar with the idea, and the first issue cover is great.

Maybe it's just me, but it really gives a vibe of 'This might be the battle we can't win'. In comics where nothing ever fully fails, presenting that image as buyable is drat important.

I have no idea of the actual quality of the overall work, though.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I read mine! My mother was just in town and I took on some new work; my writeup is a work in progress.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

yo carl get off your rear end or get banned

I thrive on fashionable lateness.

I wound up clipping way too many images and don't want to spam the forum with them, so I'm stealing Cornwind Evil's idea and making it an imgur album:

TOWER OF BABEL, or The Actual Breaking of Batman

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

CarlCX posted:

I wound up clipping way too many images and don't want to spam the forum with them, so I'm stealing Cornwind Evil's idea and making it an imgur album:

Nicely put.

Also I'm not sure if I'm remembering this right or I'm conflating it with the JLU voting on Hawkgirl or something, but I believe the eventual reveal is that Superman would have voted to let Batman stay, Batman knew it and felt he didn't deserve to stay, and that's why he left before the vote could be cast.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I'm writing my reviews as we speak, expect them over the weekend. Inhumans is better than I thought it would be, and Reign is more interesting. I love you all.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
From the first issue that I just read I can say that Final Night, at least the minseries itself, looks to be a load of fun and also Mullet Superman and since I'm always happy to see him I'll probably be a bit biased.

Thinking I'll do a sort of double review where I'll review the miniseries itself and then give my opinions on how all the different books affect my feelings on the whole.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

CarlCX posted:

Small point of order: water isn't Aquaman's secret fear, he was hit with a fear gas that inflicts hydrophobia.

To be fair, I don't think that detail was mentioned in the main story. There was a side issue that had Talia breaking into the batcave and steals all of Bat's "non-lethal" countermeasures that explains how he came up with all of them, but I don't think it was in the collected editions for some reason.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Jiru posted:

I will need to request an extension on this. I got the trade in Comixology without hassle, but I am currently staying in Japan for a month and the connection here randomly blocks things like the Comixology reading page (I can access the main page just fine, but as soon as I try to read something, it says "Store is unavailable"). I will be back home on the 25th of February, so any date after that is fine.

Since you've already done several I figure you're good for it and I will grant a month's extension.

Your new end date is March 12, 2018.

Dias posted:

Hey, hi, I've been a bit busy and also trying to figure out a decent way of doing the reviews while saving as much cash as possible (I'm not American), so sorry for the radio silence. I think I'll buy trades in my native language (they mostly seem to follow Comixology's order and it's like three times cheaper) and use images from the Internet to illustrate the reviews, if that's okay.

that's fine; just make sure you do some sort of check-in by the twelfth.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hickman's Fantastic Four Part 5: Fantastic Four vol. 4: Three

I have to admit I procrastinated a bit on reading the next section of this story since I knew what was coming and it's more than a little emotional. Art in the first five issues is penciled by Steve Epting, and inked by Epting with Rick Magyar and Mike Perkins, with the last having art by Nick Dragotta with a backup by Mark Brooks, all colored by Paul Mounts. Anyway, everything Hickman has written in this series up to this point culminates here. It begins simply enough, with the F4 heading to the Forever City which is being a "bad neighbor" as they put it and expanding their evolution machine. Ben becomes apelike again, which takes a bit longer to wear off than expected. Meanwhile, Val discovers the Bridge that Reed has hidden, and goes to tell her uncle Vic about it. She realizes he brain damaged (a result of a Hulk story from the same time) and requests his help in exchange for fixing it. The Silver Surfer also returns to earth and finds the body of the future Galactus. Since things seem to have cooled down, Ben decides to take the cure the Future Foundation made for him, which instantly returns him to a human form, and Johnny shows him a good, fun week where he's just another dude and not a giant monster. Galactus shows up after Surfer tells him about the body, and takes Reed to Nu World to destroy it, while telling him he has to prevent whatever led to him dying or he'll destroy earth. At the same time, Sue is running negotiations between Old and New Atlantis. Needless to say, Namor is not the most cooperative, having been told stories of the old races. While all this is going on, a Negative Zone cult turns into their real bodies and attack the Baxter Building, intending to open the portal and allow a second annihilation wave through. Ben, Johnny, and the Future Foundation all work together to stop them, but not without Johnny sacrificing himself to close the portal just as Ben reverts to his rock form. I generally like Epting, and he does a great job throughout, and really sells Ben's anguish and confusion of watching his friend sacrifice everything to save his family and the world at large. The final issue in this is told entirely without words, something a lesser artist than Dragotta wouldn't have been able to handle nearly as well. The expressions on every face tell you everything you need to know, without a word being spoken. The sadness, anger, loss, and pain every character is feeling is abundantly obvious. Even a brief sequence of Annihilus taunting Reed is masterfully done. This issue includes the sequence of Ben beating on Thor and Hulk before collapsing into a heap over his loss. It ends with Reed reviewing a list of issues to be resolved, notably reforming the council of Reeds, something he had resolved not to be involved with until Galactus forced his hand...and then his father makes his return. We're also treated to a short backup of Spider-Man talking to Franklin about his feelings, and how he also lost his uncle at a young age. It's cute and well-written, but a little unnecessary.

That last issue is incredibly moving. This is, as far as I'm aware, Hickman and Dragotta's first time working together, and it's clear from this that they have a chemistry that just really works, which led to them creating East of West for Image together. Creating a "silent" issue is difficult at the best of times and they did it perfectly. (The omnibus includes the full script as bonus material.)

Important plot points:
*Galactus destroyed Nu Earth and didn't even bother to eat it! The remaining residents were all brought back to earth
*Sue is queen of Old Atlantis
*Everyone is now aware that Franklin's powers are back
*The Future Foundation's to-do list is to kill Annihilus
*Spider-Man can't even afford a $1 hot dog

Anyway, that's all folks! No more Fantastic Four! All done! This Hickman fellow seems like a solid writer, but what a bummer way to end a run!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm in a mood and I want a suggestion to read, so fire away and watch me get a terrible single issue because I really want an arc.

CarlCX posted:

I have to disagree with you a bit on how this story affected Batman. The real trigger was a few years before when Morrison started the "Batgod" portrayal of him where Batman is always prepared and can beat anybody if he's prepared. People had been arguing that for years when Wade added to it. What Tower of Babel did is it solidified the "Batman is a dick" characterization which became his primary personality trait until it was "fixed" in Infinite Crisis (for certain low values of "fixed").

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Random Stranger posted:

I'm in a mood and I want a suggestion to read, so fire away and watch me get a terrible single issue because I really want an arc.

You got your wish.

You got 191. She-Hulk (Dan Slott/Juan Bobillo). I assume this just means the entire dan slott 12-issue run, since Bobillo leaves the book after issue 8. Anyways, it's all on MU.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

I have to disagree with you a bit on how this story affected Batman. The real trigger was a few years before when Morrison started the "Batgod" portrayal of him where Batman is always prepared and can beat anybody if he's prepared. People had been arguing that for years when Wade added to it. What Tower of Babel did is it solidified the "Batman is a dick" characterization which became his primary personality trait until it was "fixed" in Infinite Crisis (for certain low values of "fixed").

You're not wrong about Morrison being the origin, I more think of Babel as the tipping point. The seeds of Batman Uber Alles had already been sown, but the Justice League has always been the bastion of power in the DCU, so Batman just having a personal armory of Kill Everyone Bullets took the concept and pushed it from "Batman is preposterously and implausibly prepared" to "Batman is a living deus ex machina." In my opinion.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You got your wish.

You got 191. She-Hulk (Dan Slott/Juan Bobillo). I assume this just means the entire dan slott 12-issue run, since Bobillo leaves the book after issue 8. Anyways, it's all on MU.

Also, it's all on my bookshelf. In fact, my se-th shelf is right next to me so I don't even have to stand up. :v: Also, the slot run goes to issue 21 of the next volume which started after about a six month gap and picked up right where the previous storylines left off and has Bobillo art so I'm going for the full thing.

I can't believe I pulled exactly what was perfect at this moment...

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Random Stranger posted:

Part of the issue there is that post-Crisis (of Infinite Earths) Batman had only marginally been a Justice League member from 1987-1997, and in the 1990s the Batman office under Denny O'Neil had pushed really hard to keep Batman out of the Justice League, out of the more "superhero" books from DC, and push within the street-level corner of the DC line that Batman was an urban legend that no one has ever proven exists, that the GCPD officially denies having any relationship with, who has never conclusively been photographed, etc.

When Morrison relaunched the JLA in 1997, it had been well over a decade (the last time Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman had been on a JL team at the same time was an inventory story by a young Kurt Busiek in 1985) since the JLA was a team at all resembling the "Big Seven" or the Superfriends or whatever term you want to refer to all of the big marquee names.

Immediately before Morrison/Porter's big JLA relaunch, DC had three Justice League books on the shelves:

Justice League America: Wonder Woman, Nuklon, Obsidian, Fire, Icemaiden, Blue Devil, Metamorpho, Yazz a small pterodactyl-man
Justice League Task Force: Martian Manhunter, Gypsy, Triumph, The Ray, Mystek, L-Ron in Despero's body
Extreme Justice: Captain Atom, Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Maxima, Amazing Man, the Wonder Twins* (I believe they turned evil)

None of these teams were very high level in terms of popularity or in-comic powers, so the big Morrison pitch was that you needed to stack the deck, both in terms of All Your Favorites and in terms of having them be nigh unto gods fighting calamitous threats. A key part of having All Your Favorites is Batman obviously, which was a hard sell internally according to Grant Morrison interviews.

It was also a bit of a hard sell to the readers, in that O'Neill and company had spent a decade trying to ground Batman stories to a more 'realistic' level -- though to be fair, in the year prior to the JLA relaunch Batman had featured a longish Deadman storyline, and all of the Batbooks had crossed into Underworld Unleashed, a comic literally about villains selling their soul to Satan. But in general, the Batman comics were disconnected from the world of Superheroes; the two big crossovers around this time in the Batbooks involved (relatively) realistic crises like an Ebola-like virus being unleashed, and Gotham getting hit with an earthquake. Both storylines showed a slow and painful recovery, the sort that didn't normally exist in a world with Superman and etc. Having a Batman that spends months trying to help finds survivors of an earthquake turn around and face off against alien invasions and rogue Angels is quite the tonal shift. It makes sense to really push the limits of credibility trying to show why Batman would be useful in these sort of situations.

And yeah, long-term super-prepared Batgod overtook the character in every book, and then Paranoid Batman took over a decade later (which they hammered so hard he was shown to be paranoid by having literally everyone he ever let close to him betray him in rapid succession, thus proving he needed to... trust people more?) but it was a necessary corrective to years of comics that tried to power Batman down to the point that a guy with a machine gun would pose a serious threat to Batman.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Endless Mike posted:

*Spider-Man can't even afford a $1 hot dog

This is one of my all time favorite Spider-Man moments. Taking Franklin out to cheer him up and doing a really loving good job but also needing to bum money off of him just to get them hot dogs :discourse:

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jerusalem posted:

This is one of my all time favorite Spider-Man moments. Taking Franklin out to cheer him up and doing a really loving good job but also needing to bum money off of him just to get them hot dogs :discourse:

That's Spider-Man in a nutshell.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Like last time, the list got updated so I'm gonna need some help figuring out everyone's new placements.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Like last time, the list got updated so I'm gonna need some help figuring out everyone's new placements.

For me:

#114 Starman (was #112)
#181 Flash (was #178)
#188 Mr. Mxyzptlk and Bat-Mite: World's Funnest (was #185)

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

I don't feel like I got kicked in the rear end. I feel like I got kicked in the teeth. With steel toed boots.

But at least it's over. As a bonus, I do some side analysis of the mentioned-in-this-thread Millar Authority run and how I feel it was a strong indicator of what was to come.

Edit: And some music to accompany it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbjYLNxCwZ4

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 5, 2018

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Hey so I just updated the list and wanted to inform everyone that Escobarbarian, Dexie, Lightning Lord (twice), Skwirl, Doctor Spaceman, CarlCX, Sodomy Non Sapiens, enigmahfc, and hup are all in danger of failing their toxx, since they have a week or less to provide a trip report/review/whatever. Endless Mike is fine, due to having provided numerous check-ins already.

I am working on mine. I got distracted and/or am stalling, but it will be up by the sixth.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Superior Foes of Spider-Man

This guy, right?

Nick Spencer has been associated with several comics that I will generously call ‘not good’, from his bad Secret Avengers stuff, to his forgettable Iron Man stuff, to the outright terrible Secret Empire. Some people try to tell me his Image and indie stuff is good, but I’ll have to just take their word for it, as I have not read any of it. I thought his Ant-Man was alright. And let’s not get into politics here.

But none of that has to do with Superior Foes of Spider-Man, a comic I quite frankly really, really like. When it was first coming out, I genuinely had no idea who Spencer was, all I knew was the series checked off several of my weaknesses for a comic book. Stars villains – check. Main cast are all C-listers – check. Related to Spider-Man but not directly – check (I know; I know). Doesn’t take itself very seriously – check. I read these as they came out and loved them (aside from a few filler issues that are really out of place). Five years later, I think they still hold up, but some of Spencer’s major weaknesses are much more apparent.

The biggest weakness being that Spencer really only seems to be good at writing complete assholes. When you hand him heroes you get…well, Secret Empire, an event that turned Captain America into a secret rear end in a top hat and said that the assholes really won WWII. But when there is no real moral compass to speak off, it feels like we are in Spenser’s wheelhouse. I’m not sure what that says of him as a writer or person (if it says anything at all), but it’s something that is really obvious the more of his stuff you read. Ant-Man was the happy medium of rear end in a top hat and hero, but even then Ant-Man leaned a bit more into the former. With this series being all about villains, however; Spenser’s weakness actually becomes a strength of sorts. I mean, looks at the main characters.

Boomerang: A backstabbing, conniving rear end in a top hat who fucks his team over at every chance. Beetle: A meticulous and controlling rear end in a top hat who is also an ice queen. Speed Demon: An offensive, misogynistic, and quipping rear end in a top hat. Shocker: A cowardly rear end in a top hat with no spine whose own friends try to murder…twice. Overdrive: A hopelessly naïve guy who doesn’t seem like an rear end in a top hat at first, but don’t worry, he gets there.

Even the dog is an rear end in a top hat.

Together, they are the Sinister Six, even though there are only five, and Spencer uses that for a few funny scenes and few that just feels like he’s milking it. Although I like to pretend that the dog is the sixth member.

The plot is more or less one long heist that’s a series of lies, missteps, backstabs, double-crosses, and outright gently caress-ups. It starts as the Chameleon using Boomerang to steal the head of Silver Mane (which doesn’t exist…OR DOES IT?), so Boomerang tricks the rest of the ‘Sinister Six’ to go along with it, but he leaves them out to dry…

By not telling them they are stealing from The Owl so he can get an even bigger score involving a painting that shows the real face of Doctor Doom (OR DOES IT?), and from there it just keeps turning into lies and sometimes needless twists just so Boomerang can keep one step ahead of getting killed. I appreciate that this series is pretty much one long, 17 issue story arc (well, 15 if you leave out the unneeded filler of issues 10 and 11, not written by Spencer) that tells the story it wants to tell with the characters it wants to use, then gets the hell out of there.

This is more or less a showcase of second and third tier villains all around, with Mach VII being the only real hero to get any page-time. And like I said, writing rear end in a top hat villains seems to fall in line with what Spenser does best, so the whole thing kept me entertained, and even managed to get genuine laughs out of me. Because even though everything is all murder, betrayal, and mayhem, this is not a serious book. That fact is one of biggest reasons it works for me. Boomerang gets the most development here, and it could be argued that this his series to have. Spencer doesn’t try to redeem Boomerang, or have him suddenly see the side of right. No, Boomerang is an rear end in a top hat the whole way through, but that doesn’t mean Spencer doesn’t make the reader feel for or identify with Boomerang. I as a reader may not like Boomerang, but I feel I understand him. He’s buffoonish and backstabbing and would be the worst person ever to be around, but we also get a few moments that fleshes him out as an actually character instead of just a collection of tropes. And it worked for me. Each time he pulled one over on one of the bigger villains like Chameleon or The Owl, I found a small, base part of me rooting for Boomerang. Things like that leads to one of my favorite sequences in the series, where Bullseye (actually a Bullseye robot, but still) takes a shot at Boomerang and his lady friend.

But which then ultimately leads to Boomerang backsliding into, well…being an rear end in a top hat.

Its scenes like this that makes the series work for me, and there are quite of few of those scenes. And this is a big draw for me for one simple reason – Boomerang is a third tier character where it feels like there is much more freedom for writing him. The same can be said for all the characters in this book. While the series acknowledges the recent (for 2013) continuity of Boomerang being in the Thunderbolts, most everything else feels wide open. The path of the characters are free to be told, to hell with obscure continuity or the little things that are held precious over these fake people. Everything that happens is used to service this particular story. Because of this, I honestly felt like this series had more of an ‘indie’ vibe; something that doesn’t even feel like a mainstream Marvel Comic.

I’ll also say that the art by Steve Lieber plays a big part in my enjoyment of the series. His style lends credence to that ‘indie’ feel I mentioned, and the man has some great comic timing with panel layouts and compositions. Small actions like checking phones or daydreaming are given their own style that somehow develops the scene and characters without the need for text, and does in a way that is humorous and economic in storytelling. His style strikes the perfect balance of converging ideas that makes the series work even more. It’s hard to see the series coming together as well as it does under anyone else’s pencil, and this fact is glaringly apparent when a guest artist comes in for short times and tries to follow the style Lieber put forth.

When all is said and done, Superior Foes of Spider-Man is not a series that is trying to change the comic landscape, or tell a story where ‘NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME AGAIN!’. It has smaller goals. It follows a pack of losers through to the end of this farce of a heist, and gives Boomerang one last bitter sweet sort of win. It doesn’t care about what event is going on. Hell, it barely even acknowledges the Dan Slott Superior Spider-man status quo that lead the series’ creation (in fact, the final page completely ignores that status quo). Quite frankly, the series is better for it. It’s almost enough to make me forget the Spencer that did Secret Empire.

Almost.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I remember panels from that series popping up all the time back in the Funny Panels thread, I always meant to check it out. I had no idea that was the same writer as the recent Captain America nonsense.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Just catching up on these. Loving the links at the beginning. Really looking forward to the movie comparison.

Millar has some truly bankable ideas. It’s a shame about the execution.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

What you realise about Kick-rear end after a cursory examination is that, despite its reputation as being about "a realistic superhero", it's actually far more luridly unrealistic than even most other comic books are, and in fact comes off more like some sort of goofy splatterfest anime, especially any sequence where Hit Girl is on page killing mobsters and cutting people in half. Kick-rear end himself is just a comic relief protagonist in an unrealistic story (see: the metal plates in his head actually protecting him from blunt force trauma), rather than a guy realistically attempting to fight crime.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Here ya go:

code:
12. Gummy Joe: Jack Staff: Everything Used to Be Black and White 
25. Lick! The! Whisk!: Daredevil: Born Again
57. Lick! The! Whisk!: Daredevil #284-290: The Man Without Mercy
59. Roth: Fantastic Four: Unthinkable 
84. Inkspot: The Demon vol. 1 #1-8
114. Jerusalem: Starman (Robinson/Harris) Part One
173. Endless Mike: Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF: Part One, Dark Reign: FF Part Two, Solve Everything Part Three, Prime Elements Part Four, The Future Foundation
178. Otherkinsey Scale: Captain America #250, "Cap for President!"
179. Jordan7hm: The Adventures of Dr. McNinja: I Told You That Story So I Could Tell You This One/Spooky Stuff/Punch Dracula
181. Jerusalem: Flash vol. 2, #91 
185. Archyduke: JLA Year One
188. Jerusalem: Superman and Batman: World's Funnest 
251. Random Stranger: Doomquest, Iron Man #149-150
279. Jordan7hm: Atomic Robo: Why Atomic Robo Hates Dr. Dinosaur
319. A Strange Aeon: Avengers: The Kang Dynasty 
325. Archyduke: Superman: Secret Origin 
344. Senerio: We3
360. Gummy Joe: Animal Man #5: The Coyote Gospel
416. Jiru: Seaguy
419. bagrada: Batman #417-420: Ten Nights of the Beast 
469. Zachack: Uncanny X-Men #101-103: Phoenix Rising/Leprechauns 
499. Jiru: Garfield: Alone 
524. Random Stranger: Superman’s Girlfriend, Lois Lane #106 "I am Curious (Black)!"
543. SMP: Batman/Daredevil King of New York
563. Random Stranger: Batman #598: Santa Klaus Is Coming to Town!
619. Random Stranger Punisher #52: Maternity War
623. jng2058: Justice (Alex Ross/Jim Kreuger) 
641. Roth: Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Guilty Pleasures #1-12 
656. CapnAndy: Spawn/WildC.A.T.S.: Devil Day Part One Part Two
661. bagrada: Green Lantern #54-55
664. Lick! The! Whisk!: Maximum Clonage
671. Cornwind Evil: Uncanny X-Men: Holy War, #423-424 Part One Part Two
673. Cornwind Evil: Kick-rear end Part One

Reviews That Need To Be Done:

173. Endless Mike: Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF (in progress; issued 1/6/2018)
62. Escobarbarian: Captain America: Winter Soldier issued 1/6/2018
605. Dexie: Flash Rebirth (Geoff Johns run) issued 1/6/2018
387. Lightning Lord: Inhumans (Jenkins/Lee) issued 1/6/2018
67. Skwirl: Hawkeye #11, Pizza is My Business issued 1/6/2018
482. Doctor Spaceman: Marvel Apes issued 1/7/2018
212. CarlCX: JLA: Tower of Babel, #43-46 issued 1/7/2018
299. Sodomy Non Sapiens: Stormwatch (Warren Ellis/Tom Raney) issued 1/8/2018
648. Lightning Lord: Spider-Man: Reign issued 1/8/2018
174. enigmahfc: Superior Foes of Spider-Man issued 1/8/2018
218. hup: Alias vol. 1 issued 1/8/2018
386. Zeeman: Fear Itself issued 1/10/2018
355. Fritzler: The Mighty Thorcules (The Incredible Hercules #132-137) issued 1/10/2018
49. Jiru: Top Ten #1-12 issued 1/12/2018
27. Dias: Hitman issued 1/12/2018
82. Jordan7hm: Mister Miracle #3-4, "The Paranoid Pill" issued 1/12/2018
569. jng2058: Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man #112: You'd Better Watch Out... issued 1/13/2018
427. bagrada: Tales From the Bully Pulpit issued 1/13/2018
458. Conrad_Birdie: Legion of Monsters (Dennis Hopeless/Juan Doe) issued 1/14/2018
594. Little Mac: Miracleman (Gaiman/Buckingham) issued 1/14/2018
330. Gaz-L: Fantastic Four #8 issued 1/19/2018
538. Lick! The! Whisk!: Spider-Man: Identity Crisis issued 1/22/2018
114. Jerusalem: Starman (Robinson/Harris) (in progress; issued 1/24/2018)
673. Cornwind Evil: Kick-rear end (in progress; issued 1/29/2018)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my loving God. I've only ever seen the movie, I did not realize the differences between Comic Big Daddy and Movie Big Daddy.

That is the most disgusting and hosed up and horrible thing I think I've ever read in a comic, and I almost read an entire issue of Crossed once!

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

MILLLLLLAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRR-!
Funny you should mention that, Jerusalem.

Like I said, maybe there are no bad ideas. Just bad execution.

With all that over, I'll see if I can somehow work up the strength and the madness to go back to the black hole beneath my current latest review.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hey so I just updated the list and wanted to inform everyone that Escobarbarian, Dexie, Lightning Lord (twice), Skwirl, Doctor Spaceman, CarlCX, Sodomy Non Sapiens, enigmahfc, and hup are all in danger of failing their toxx, since they have a week or less to provide a trip report/review/whatever. Endless Mike is fine, due to having provided numerous check-ins already.

Mine should be up later today.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
This is the story of how a villainous version of Captain America was created in WW2 and has since been leading the heroes in an attempt to take over the world. He is defeated when an underground group launches a last-ditch effort to find and rescue the real Captain America.

Secret Chimpire

Also there are monkeys.

Marvel Apes had its genesis in a joke a fan made to Quesada at a convention. The idea bounced around Marvel for a while before becoming the 2008 followape to Marvel Zombies. The most noticeable tie to that era is the presence of (ape-universe) Speedball* as a major character; had it been around today I suspect someone like Squirrel-Monkey would have been used instead.

The actual story is about The Gibbon (a minor Spider-man character who swings back and forward between being a villain and a hero, and who has the agility and appearance of his namesake) being flung into an alternape universe during a science experiment gone wrong. Here he finds that he fits in, because the dominant form of life across the cosmos is simian rather than human. Iron Man is Iron Mandrill, Spider-man is Spider Monkey, Bruce Bannanner is the alter-ego of the Hulk, Nick Fury is Nick Furry, Captain America is the leader of the Ape-vengers, and so on.

Not pictured: Monkey-C**, who has an eidetic memory / ability to replicate actions

The Gibbon and his female friend who is definitely a character in the story stumble across some heroes fighting Doctor Ooktopus, and assist in his capture. This leads them to meet the Ape-Vengers, Earth’s Mightest Monkeys. They differ from our universe in that they are seemingly interested in reforming villains, continuing on the trend started with Hawkape, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver to modern team-members like Sandape and Juggermonk. However instead of being rehapeilitated Doctor Ooktopus is brutally murdered by Captain America before being fed to the remaining members of the Invaders.

After Cap murders Reed Richards to prevent the Gibbon returning home we learn that Cap was replaced by Baron Blood in WW2, and that he plans to lead the other Vampire Invaders on a trans-dimensional invasion in the search for fresh blood. Since the Gibbon knows where 616-Cap was found he leads a rag-tag group of outcasts to the same location in this universe, assuming that the only simian with the ability to remove Cap’s dapelganger is Cap himself.

Spar-spangled Tamarin with a Plan

It works, and the Gibbon and his female friend who is definitely a character in the story get transported back to this universe. Also Speedball comes too***.

My favourite parts were the backups, where the Watcher fills in the reader on the history of the universe. I can’t really do it justice without just posting panels.

Thorangutan's arrival on Earth

It’s a brisk story with enough twists and jokes to keep things moving. It hits the standard alt-universe beats: a misfit character finds a new world that seems better but has darkness underneath the surface. Major characters die. People are forced to decide which universe they want to remain in. The jokes are as funny as monkey puns can be and nothing is drags overly kong, but there isn't much more to it than "What if Captain America was a vampire bat disguised as an ape?". It’s definitely not something I’d have read without this thread, so thanks for the push to macaque me read it.

Context is both unnecessary and insufficient here

*I’m really not familiar with Speedball but I did play Monkey Ball 2 on the Gamecube. I assume the underlying principles transfer well enough.

**This is the second best pun, although it should have been left unexplained in the book.

***He later gets his own one-shot. There are several other one-shots, including a crossover with Marvel Zombies and one about an Illuminati-like group called Prime Eight****.

****This is the best pun.

----------*----------*----------*----------*----------*----------

Can I get another spin? Dupes are fine, but I'd like something baaaaaad.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 6, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love puns way more than I should, so I love this (and your review) :)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Had to go back and visit my parents for family health stuff recently but I’ll be doing Winter Soldier when I can. Will probably do the out of time arc in one and then the second arc in another.

It’s kinda hard because like....it’s just a really good story. What do you say besides “poo poo this is good”. I’ll figure it out

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I am still #546: Final Night

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Is this done or can I still jump in? I'm looking for a new run to read anyways

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm not going to have mine up in time. I put it off too long because ugh, Flash Rebirth.

Then some personal things came up and I wasn't able to get to it.

Oh well. My punishment will teach me not to put things off until the last minute again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

They say third time's the charm. Maybe it'll finally break me of this bad habit.

HIT ME AGAIN, roll solely from the selection of titles below Kick-rear end (so 674 to 694), with again my lone exception being Countdown To Final Crisis, because it is just way too long.

• Locked thread